VFR750 - Rolling Resto

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 13 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You really need a reaming tool to set the correct ID for a bronze bush. If you did it with a dremmel it would not only not be round but would have bits of abrasive embedded in the surface of the bronze. Drills don't make round or accurate holes, you drill to slightly under diameter then ream to final diameter if you want a properly round and accurate hole.

Yeah, I did notice I was ovalling the ID when I was playing around with the dremel. Turns out that, unlike Michelangelo, I'm unable to create a perfect circle freehand. Who could have guessed? Very Happy
Easy-X wrote:
By the time you get to put it back together those replacement bolts for the MC would have turned from up FleaBay...

Good point, I'll get some allen bolts ordered in preparation for doing the caliper strip down, I do hate mismatched bolts.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, a minor update.

Arrow Rear Brake - Refitted the rear lever and MC, and working. Actual bite from the brake is still rubbish, but the caliper is a horrorshow, so that's to be expected. Function of the new MC and lever setup is much better, which is what I wanted for now. Bleeding was a pain though, I had to take the caliper off and suspend it to get all the bubbles at the bleed nipple.

Arrow New Exhaust - Fitted. It's blowing a little at the join with the rest of the system, because although the pipe sections meet each other closely, their outer profile doesn't match that of the interior of the clamp (which is designed for the thicker flanges of the original mild steel system I think). I've always just folded up a load of tinfoil into an inch wide strip, wrapped it around the join and put the clamp around the whole thing. It works quite well for a few years, but eventually goes flaky and falls to pieces as you move the exhaust around. I reused an old bit of tinfoil, but it's clearly too far gone and I need to make a new one basically. Is there something better than tinfoil I could be using though?

Arrow Firestorm Front End - Finally got out for a test ride after getting the top fairing repaired and back on. Only did about 10 miles or so. New front brakes are good, nothing exceptional but already good enough that I'm not really thinking about them too much. But I do need to move the lines at the master cylinder banjo because they're fouling the clocks at full lock. The forks operate fine, but they definitely need some setup. The bike feels like it's sitting slightly high at the front, a slight feeling of skipping over small bumps, and not great feel in the corners. Spoke to the suspension guy, and he's suggested reducing the preload as a first step, which makes sense. Unfortunately, the preload was already out by 6 notches, so I've gone another notch out to 7 (2 turns), but if that isn't enough I'm not sure how much adjustment is left. Haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I might need different springs again, we'll see.

Arrow Oil Cooler Pipes - I wasn't going to touch these on the basis of "If it ain't broke", but then I started looking at the corrosion on them and thinking about how fun it will be having hot oil spray onto my front wheel. Thinking about it now, I should probably have been more cautious, but the guy on the VFR facebook group gets mentioned so much I just contacted him and sent him the money. So far I have received a thumbs up from him. I hope the pipes will follow.

I'm leaving the lower fairings off till I've done the oil pipes and the bike is out of the shakedown phase, but in the meantime this is where I'm at.

https://i.imgur.com/lBUoYPN.mp4

https://imgur.com/a/3d59W1x

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:41 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear brake is a bit meh even when in perfect working order with new seals all round and brembo pads. Adequate for the job though.

Plumbers silicone does a great job of sealing exhaust joints.

The FB guy does a cracking job of oil pipes.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AMWts8Af1RLV5vfB2izVCsSjkrO2_209IB40RelIvmSx5ZoW023uVVxy2hBYWg0gG8j_njn8ja0RDjrUKeikhB8p4QT7UqqAKNwmL2ePxwsgVJOtPlQ0MrdokEDeeg4tvF8S14f0rLDHEHD7y_GvYqVc8naG=w1547-h870-no

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The rear brake is a bit meh even when in perfect working order with new seals all round and brembo pads. Adequate for the job though.

Rear brake adequacy is all I'm ultimately aiming for. If I can stamp on it, hard, and lock it, it'll be better than I've ever had it working previously. Very Happy

Will try plumbers silicone this time round and see how I get on.

I received my oil pipes this morning, and yeah they're beautiful. I'll get them fitted this weekend. I'm guessing the procedure is no more complex than -
1. Unbolt old pipes and pray nothing snaps.
2. Fit new pipes with new o-rings and a smear of copperslip on the bolts. Remember to check torque settings.
3. Run the engine for a minute or two, check for leaks and then check the oil level.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:13 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

I received my oil pipes this morning, and yeah they're beautiful. I'll get them fitted this weekend. I'm guessing the procedure is no more complex than -
1. Unbolt old pipes and pray nothing snaps.
2. Fit new pipes with new o-rings and a smear of copperslip on the bolts. Remember to check torque settings.
3. Run the engine for a minute or two, check for leaks and then check the oil level.

That's pretty much it. Might need a very slight bit of fenagling to get them routed neatly.

Remeber oil will come out if the cooler is full, so I'd add a catch pan to your list.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep the fenagling equipment handy, and the jimmying and bodging facilities on standby. It's mainly just hammers and zip ties.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:20 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AMWts8Af1RLV5vfB2izVCsSjkrO2_209IB40RelIvmSx5ZoW023uVVxy2hBYWg0gG8j_njn8ja0RDjrUKeikhB8p4QT7UqqAKNwmL2ePxwsgVJOtPlQ0MrdokEDeeg4tvF8S14f0rLDHEHD7y_GvYqVc8naG=w1547-h870-no

Did you get these from the bloke in Wales?
I got some for my Gen 5 but they look too good to fit!

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:

Did you get these from the bloke in Wales?
I got some for my Gen 5 but they look too good to fit!

Mine came from a guy called Mike Hitchcock. FB says he lives in Hemel Hempstead.

Might as well do a little update while I'm posting anyway...

Arrow Oil Cooler Pipes - Broke the oil cooler! All the bolts for the oil lines came out smooth as silk, except one (there's always one...) which had corrosion welded itself into the oil cooler housing. Even being as careful as possible with a slowly escalating series of attempts to get it out, I damaged the oil cooler before the bolt came out. It's still in there, even though with the bolt head snapped off, and the housing being unthreaded, it should literally fall apart. Ah well, plenty of replacements for a tenner off eBay so no biggy, one is on the way.

Arrow Exhaust - Tried plumbers silicone, and got it everywhere in the garage, but I clamped it all together and I'm letting it cure while waiting for the new oil cooler. I'm sure it'll do the job, but I think the real test will be when I've had to move/take off the exhaust a few times. If that means I need to do it all over again, I think I'll probably go back to foil, as it can definitely be reused a few times and it's a lot cheaper. We'll see.

Haven't done anything else, as without an oil cooler, the bike is a doorstop.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4