Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Storm Eunice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is because of climate change!

Give me grant money now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked in my tea cup, but the storm wasn't there either.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends of mine set off on a trip to London by train this morning to visit Madame Tussauds. Not only did the trains get cancelled when it was home time so they had to get a very expensive cab home, they returned to find their chimney stack shorter than when they left.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
Friends of mine set off on a trip to London by train this morning to visit Madame Tussauds. Not only did the trains get cancelled when it was home time so they had to get a very expensive cab home, they returned to find their chimney stack shorter than when they left.

Anyone who goes to London at any time is a few bricks short of a chimney stack Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Give me grant money now?

Thumbs Up

Quote:
18:40
Is there a link between Storm Eunice and climate change?
By Matt McGrath
Environment correspondent

While there are undoubtedly some important influences from our changing climate, it is not possible to say that climate change has “caused” this extreme event.

There has been considerable debate here among UK researchers about whether we are seeing more frequent and more intense storms as a result of climate change, but two studies after the extremely stormy winter of 2013-14 concluded there was no clear evidence for a link between climate change and increased storminess.

The UK Met Office also said in their State of the Climate report in 2020: “There are no compelling trends in maximum gust speeds recorded by the UK wind network in the last five decades.”

On the central question of climate change and the frequency of storms like Eunice, scientists are clear that more research is needed.

This BBC environment correspondent seems so off-message I predict the story will be ‘updated’ soon and he’ll be downgraded to the ‘amusing animal stories’ correspondent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-60421388

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val will be here soon to tell us it's because God doesn't like Brexit and is punishing us.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Give me grant money now?

Thumbs Up

Quote:
18:40
Is there a link between Storm Eunice and climate change?
By Matt McGrath
Environment correspondent

While there are undoubtedly some important influences from our changing climate, it is not possible to say that climate change has “caused” this extreme event.

There has been considerable debate here among UK researchers about whether we are seeing more frequent and more intense storms as a result of climate change, but two studies after the extremely stormy winter of 2013-14 concluded there was no clear evidence for a link between climate change and increased storminess.

The UK Met Office also said in their State of the Climate report in 2020: “There are no compelling trends in maximum gust speeds recorded by the UK wind network in the last five decades.”

On the central question of climate change and the frequency of storms like Eunice, scientists are clear that more research is needed.

This BBC environment correspondent seems so off-message I predict the story will be ‘updated’ soon and he’ll be downgraded to the ‘amusing animal stories’ correspondent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-60421388

He is very off-message. You know the rules:
1. Temperature goes up = climate change
2. Temperature goes down = just the weather/seasons
3. Storm or other natural disaster = climate change
4. No storms of natural disasters = climate change hasn't struck [yet!]
5. You live by the sea but the average level doesn't seem to be increasing? It's rising in the somewhere else
Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wrong, that’s still supposedly explained by the distortion of air and sea currents caused by climate change, and it’s why the inconvenient phrase ’global warming’ is less used. Really if you’re a climatologist it’s all gravy.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to look out for each other in this weather. I just checked on my 88 year old neighbour to see if she needed anything from the shops. It turned out that she did ...so I gave her my shopping list as well. No point in us both going out in this.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i gave up work about 10:30 this morning after seeing bits of tree and household stuff flying through the air.
about an hour after getting home i heard a loud thud and feared something had broken off the house, went outside and found part of next doors fascia in the street.

it was amusing watching a reporter on the news and the camera man was deliberately shaking the camera to make it look more dramatic, whilst people in the backround were walking by quite normally.

you really cant believe anything you see on the tv these days Rolling Eyes

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see the south getting a bit of a breeze for once rather than us and Shetland. Laughing

From my weather station:

https://i.ibb.co/gVdL2vc/windspeed.jpg

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Nice to see the south getting a bit of a breeze for once rather than us and Shetland. Laughing

From my weather station:

https://i.ibb.co/gVdL2vc/windspeed.jpg
It's only real bad weather if it is south of Watford Gap and east of Reading.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 19 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Quote:

Wrong, that’s still supposedly explained by the distortion of air and sea currents caused by climate change, and it’s why the inconvenient phrase ’global warming’ is less used. Really if you’re a climatologist it’s all gravy.

I thought air and sea currents were all controlled by Brexit, but its plagues that are controlled by Brexit Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:51 - 19 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck Eu-nice Middle Finger Razz Middle Finger

Got another post and panel in.Dance! Took a while after finding a huge block of concrete 6inches under the dirt right where
I needed to put the next fencepost. Took some aggression out on that and hacked it out with a spade.(Although I ache a bit today...) Mr. Green
It was tricky getting everything level and keeping things still what with the wind and doing the job on my own, but its gone
in spot on Thumbs Up

Also got the former mould finished and level to make my slab, rebar all cut to size too, just gotta peg the former into place
to support the sides before the pour. Going out to suspend the rebar grid later and it's ready for concrete.

Then I dug a small, neat, 6inch deep, V-shaped trench (fnarr) the length of the lawn and laid some armoured core cable
along it then up and under the former to come up through the slab. Then banged it into the mud at the bottom of the groove and
stomped the turf wedge back into the slot, taking full advantage of the wet soil. I want the power cable coming up through
the slab, so it can be incorporated directly into the new shed as it is being built. It's about six inches underground, that
will do for now. As part B of this project, I'm digging out for a slabbed pathway to follow the same route as the cable so it will
be dug up again soon and eventually slabbed over, it's just a temporary run so I can get it up and into the slab
and not trip over it every five minutes. You can see the run easily enough, so there won't be any shovel errors later.

Storm or no storm, I got loads done.Laughing

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 19 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could hear something rattling outside and saw a piece of sheet roofing fly off my neighbours garage and into my fence. Don't think it was part of the roof, just something they dumped there. Luckily it didn't fly the other way into cars.

Few large bricks fell off my neighbours wall too and shattered on his steps. The fucker has just piled them up outside my steps as if it's my problem somehow. Bet it will stay there for months now.

Some lead flashing also fell off my porch roof, but that was already coming off so kinda my fault for not fixing it Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 19 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m having a garden sale tomorrow. I’ve got three trampolines, four fence panels and some patio furniture. New stuff arriving all the time!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 19 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Big Jet TV fans?

https://twitter.com/Tom_Leak/status/1494663239463886849

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 19 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too much damage here: cover ripped on one bike.

I put two fragile shrubs in pots into the shed before the storm.
Hopefully my new camellia tree will have survived. Haven't looked out there today. Shifty

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 20 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

70mph again here just now, is it winter
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 20 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I looked in my tea cup, but the storm wasn't there either.

I’ll just leave this here Thumbs Up
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LwxHaosKjgY
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k9o78-f2mIM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kbpsI2c_3-E
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GbKE0gJETA0
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dcf19K5QFqQ
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6NGsR8SolXA

What can I say Embarassed , I’m bored Smile .

Last edited by pepperami on 13:35 - 21 Feb 2022; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 20 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down in Cornwall my mum hasn't had power since Friday morning Sad Apparently it'll get restored tomorrow night!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 21 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Past few days its' been windy as fuck up here, trampolines getting blown about cunts back gardens.

Hearty congratulations on the most gratuitous use of the C-word so far in BCF history..

..probably. Cool

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 21 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Past few days its' been windy as fuck up here, trampolines getting blown about cunts back gardens.

Hearty congratulations on the most gratuitous use of the C-word so far in BCF history..

..probably. Cool

although I think you left out an apostrophe as surely you meant cunt's in the possessive sense.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 21 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
..probably. Cool
although I think you left out an apostrophe as surely you meant cunt's in the possessive sense.

Actually I think you'll find that's cunts' – unless you're talking about a single unnamed cunt who has a load of back gardens.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 21 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

..probably. Cool

although I think you left out an apostrophe as surely you meant cunt's in the possessive sense.[/quote]

Thank you good Sir!

From what I have read on here; BCF seems to have been home to a great number of cunts throughout its' history so I thought its' use would have been common parlance amongst the denizens of the forum. Laughing Laughing

I meant it in the plurative sense: owing to the great number of nameless cunts' out there with shite blown into their cunting back gardens.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3