Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is there war looming in Europe and Ukraine?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 28 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Except that if we threaten and then don't carry out...

I wouldn't suggest we'd get by with "threaten" but your point is valid, the West is not a democracy it's a mediocracy Sad

BTW all these weapons that are pouring in are gifts? Or is it like wot the Americans did to us in WW2 - lend/lease?

From the UK perspective NLAW is basically a regional development subsidy to Northern Ireland (Thales UK/NI). They are relatively cheap missiles. DES will probably just bung Thales an order for another 10K NLAW and some Starstreaks. There is some suggestion NLAW is a rolling contract anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:28 - 28 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
There is some suggestion NLAW is a rolling contract anyway.

It will be, they go out of date. As I understand it, if they are approaching their use-by date, it is cheaper to fire them off now than to have them disposed of as dangerous ordanance after that date. That's the only reason people in my TA unit would have been allowed to fire something as expensive as a LAW.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 28 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
If there was one bullet to take out one person and the choice was between Bland or Putin, then, sorry Russia (and Ukraine), you chaps will just have to deal with Vlad a little longer.

He'll be gone soon. YouTube have form for jettisoning right-wing conspiracy nuts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 28 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dementia Joe blurted out an obvious truth when he said Putin has to go. To some this sounded awfully like the USA’s penchant for regime change…, well of course it is! But in this case it’s unquestionably right. Surely it’s death or jail for Putin, and he must know it, which makes him even more dangerous. We can only hope the Russians nail him first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 28 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
There is some suggestion NLAW is a rolling contract anyway.

It will be, they go out of date. As I understand it, if they are approaching their use-by date, it is cheaper to fire them off now than to have them disposed of as dangerous ordanance after that date. That's the only reason people in my TA unit would have been allowed to fire something as expensive as a LAW.

Yeah that is pretty common. Same with AAMs. It's basically free training. UK is sending 6000 ish, so some of those will be new(er) NLAWs.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 28 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I think Dementia Joe blurted out an obvious truth when he said Putin has to go. To some this sounded awfully like the USA’s penchant for regime change…, well of course it is!

Agree, I did not interpret Joe Biden's statement as a direct allusion to regime change.

It was the hysterical opposition and other fucking nutters who jumped to that conclusion.

Of course the right thing is for The Wee Man to be injected with few grams of Pb (Full Metal Jacketed).

If its from inside Russia good if it's from outside still good.

It would be one of the least investigated assassinations in modern history.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 28 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
. Surely it’s death or jail for Putin, and he must know it, which makes him even more dangerous. We can only hope the Russians nail him first.

I wonder how much is known about the inner workings of the Putin regime. It seems what we get told is hes in charge and has been since the nineties, but that's all rather obvious stuff, the nuts and bolts of how he actually maintains his position though is very obscure.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 28 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that he’s only the figurehead, but even if Russia left Ukraine tomorrow sanctions couldn’t ease until he’s gone. We’re punishing the populace for one man’s failings but that message has to be sent. If it turns out that the next incumbent is an equal bastard we’ll start all over again.

I wondered whether Russia should have been invited into NATO. They seem resentful at being the black sheep and it’s their own fault but then the main European aggressor, Germany, is in the gang.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:39 - 28 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Of course the right thing is for The Wee Man to be injected with few grams of Pb (Full Metal Jacketed).

If its from inside Russia good if it's from outside still good.

It would be one of the least investigated assassinations in modern history.

There would be more than a little irony if he somehow accidentally ingested a massive dose of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzodioxin which left him hospitalised and horribly disfugured but not actually dead...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 28 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
It could be that he’s only the figurehead, but even if Russia left Ukraine tomorrow sanctions couldn’t ease until he’s gone. We’re punishing the populace for one man’s failings but that message has to be sent. If it turns out that the next incumbent is an equal bastard we’ll start all over again.

I wondered whether Russia should have been invited into NATO. They seem resentful at being the black sheep and it’s their own fault but then the main European aggressor, Germany, is in the gang.

It is punishing for the people.

But someone has to stand against it.

Letting a despot do what he feels like is just punishing who ever his rath is aimed at.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putin's daughters targeted by US sanctions

I'm not exactly comfy with this, targetting peoples families rather than the people themselves. It strikes me as rather nasty. I don't agree with what someone does, lets go after his kids. Rolling Eyes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61005388

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Putin's daughters targeted by US sanctions

I'm not exactly comfy with this, targetting peoples families rather than the people themselves. It strikes me as rather nasty. I don't agree with what someone does, lets go after his kids. Rolling Eyes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61005388

There's a reasonable suspicion that Putain will hide some of his stolen money ill gotten gains wealth with his family. Make the fuckers suffer I say. I doubt they're entirely innocent.

Last edited by Islander on 21:49 - 06 Apr 2022; edited 1 time in total

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I'm not exactly comfy with this, targetting peoples families rather than the people themselves. It strikes me as rather nasty. I don't agree with what someone does, lets go after his kids.

I get where you're coming from but as said above, these 'kids' are absolutely loaded with so-called 'family' money - check this one out, who has also felt the pinch:
https://metro.co.uk/2022/03/24/russia-ukraine-war-sergei-lavrov-step-daughter-polina-sanctioned-by-uk-16335648/
Lives in a multi-million pound home in Kensington with no discernible source of income

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
I'm not exactly comfy with this, targetting peoples families rather than the people themselves. It strikes me as rather nasty. I don't agree with what someone does, lets go after his kids.

I get where you're coming from but as said above, these 'kids' are absolutely loaded with so-called 'family' money - check this one out, who has also felt the pinch:
https://metro.co.uk/2022/03/24/russia-ukraine-war-sergei-lavrov-step-daughter-polina-sanctioned-by-uk-16335648/
Lives in a multi-million pound home in Kensington with no discernible source of income

Ah would pump it. Cool

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Ah would pump it. Cool

I'm so glad to see BCF's priorities are still being upheld.

So would I. Thumbs Up

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I'm so glad to see BCF's priorities are still being upheld.

So would I. Thumbs Up

You do realise she is probably a bio-weapon?

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 07 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be alright if you just touched her and not her front door handle.

Yes, I admit I stole that joke.
Crying or Very sad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazprom halts gas supply to Poland and Bulgaria as Russia accused of blackmail

I really do laugh at our medias take on things sometimes.

Russia is at war with Ukraine, The west is supplying arms to ukraine via Poland. Russia turns off gas supplies to Poland and the west has a hissy fit and calling it blackmail. WTF do you call supplying arms to Ukraine? Medical aid. Laughing

If I was Russia I'd have turned off the gas as soon as the west started supplying arms.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61240499

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given all the sanctions against Russia, the payments for gas supplies are probably all that is left to pay for their war.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:45 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sanctions imposed were sort of slow-acting or sort of boolshite. Blocking SWIFT. Rolling Eyes I think the Rooski Banks have their very own financial system. They only swift between the west and rooshia.

The MOST effective sanction was to have stopped buying Rooshin Hydro-Carbons. (And caviar).

But the poor Jermans would have been cold as they take.most of their fuel from the Rooshins.

As far as relationships between the west and the former Soviet republic of USSR is concerned, we are in effect at war with russia. (Without an official declaration).
We are at war and should behave as if we are at war.
Stop buying shit off the rooskis.

Putin will not back down. If he does he will be finished politically (or if there is any justice he should be).
Slava Ukraine and Ste 4 Mod.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:59 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Putin will not back down. If he does he will be finished politically (or if there is any justice he should be

I don't think there is justice in Putin's Russia.
Putin's Russia. The country effectively belongs to one man.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

German energy giant Uniper gives in to Russian rouble demand

Is the close cooperation about sanctions about to be undermined?

It seems utterly weird to me that we are buying Russian gas on their terms while basically fightng a war with them. Oh I know we aren't really fighting a war, just morally supporting Ukraine Rolling Eyes but WTF is the point of sanctions and then looking for a way to circumnavigate them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61257846

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:41 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undermined?

It will strengthen the close cooperation of other countries about sanctions because Germany not playing ball makes it all the more important.

A slight tangent, it says a lot about Germany if they're more interested in being pals with Russia than supporting their EU comrades and being united in diversity. Laughing

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
German energy giant Uniper gives in to Russian rouble demand

Is the close cooperation about sanctions about to be undermined?

It seems utterly weird to me that we are buying Russian gas on their terms while basically fightng a war with them. Oh I know we aren't really fighting a war, just morally supporting Ukraine Rolling Eyes but WTF is the point of sanctions and then looking for a way to circumnavigate them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61257846

Does anyone here know what the consequences of switching off Russian gas/oil overnight are?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:

Does anyone here know what the consequences of switching off Russian gas/oil overnight are?

Pretty severe given Germany's industry relies on it to the tune of something like 50-60% of their energy, they having been dumb enough to shut down their nuclear power. But it's good fun to rub their noses in it Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 357 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 26 of 30