Another run on fuel

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 02 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Tesco petrol station at their store in Burnside, South Lanarkshire.

Not a big detour for me so I'll give that a go. Cheers.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Surely most of them still have fuel hoarded from the last round of panic buying?

Neerr! Those old grunters have to drive very slowly to the local town every day Confused Rolling Eyes .

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped at Sainsburys on my way into work at 6am this morning, no issues or queues.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I fucking filled up my tank to the tune of £77 into my shite Vectra and today the brakes stopped working while I was coming off the M8 at the Livingston junction. Almost shit my fucking pants.

Pulled over, couldn't see any leaks, checked the brake pipes where they go into the callipers and what I could see - nothing broken that I could notice. Checked the reservoir and it was right down below the line, thought that it might just be because it was too low.

Filled it with DOT 4 to the brim, pumped the brakes, it stiffened up again and I thought it was solved. On way back to Glasgow the brakes stopped working again and I was able to coast it back to my work car park using engine braking and the handbrake.

Filled it up with DOT 4 again and got a colleague to pump on the brakes while I looked underneath. Didn't even know there is a pipe that's behind the fuel tank until I saw the fluid dripping down off the tank.

Can't be fucked fixing it. Getting picked up by the breakers and I am going to rent a cage on short term lease till I get my new electric car. Just fucking annoyed that I filled the bastard up. Guess I will syphon out the petrol and use it in my bikes.

One thing I am curious about is why did the handbrake work if all the wheels have callipers on them? Doesn't that mean they all link to the same hydraulic system?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:04 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I am curious about is why did the handbrake work if all the wheels have callipers on them? Doesn't that mean they all link to the same hydraulic system?

No. The handbrake is usually designed to be completely independent and has a cable.

Not sure how it's done with those stuipid electronic ones, probably some sort of server arrangement.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fucking annoyed that I filled the bastard up. Guess I will syphon out the petrol and use it in my bikes

Hmm: when did you last syphon petrol out of a car, then?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Just fucking annoyed that I filled the bastard up. Guess I will syphon out the petrol and use it in my bikes

Just try and get petrol INTO a modern Ford from a can if you haven't got the special funnel. Getting it out is a whole new black art.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 04 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

No. The handbrake is usually designed to be completely independent and has a cable.

Not sure how it's done with those stuipid electronic ones, probably some sort of server arrangement.

I assume that's a typo and you meant servo?

You can usually hear the actuator working on an electric parking brake, if you apply it with your foot on the pedal, you might even feel it go away from you slightly.

On manual parking brakes operating on discs, they either use a cable to activate the caliper, or (Merc's favourite) a miniature drum brake inside the rear hub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 04 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Never petrol out of a modern car, did syphon diesel out of an old 1991 Isuzu Trooper. Is there something in place to stop syphoning now?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 04 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Never petrol out of a modern car, did syphon diesel out of an old 1991 Isuzu Trooper. Is there something in place to stop syphoning now?

An anti-syphon device.
Usually it just makes it next to impossible to push a pipe in, if scrapping it you could no doubt improvise
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 04 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
An anti-syphon device.
Usually it just makes it next to impossible to push a pipe in, if scrapping it you could no doubt improvise

I got one of these ages ago on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flintronic-Extractor-Changing-Transfer-Motorbike/dp/B08XZ51FFZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KJ27A22H966M&keywords=oil+pump&qid=1646389246&sprefix=oil+pump%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-3

I was just going to put the skinny little tube down the hole and then suck it out, but if there's something that blocks it from going in then I guess I could always just drill a hole in the tank and let it pour out into some buckets then pour it into jerry cans using a funnel?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2