Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tom Hurley - custom seat on ER6-F

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 07 Mar 2022    Post subject: Tom Hurley - custom seat on ER6-F Reply with quote

I got my custom seat back from Tom Hurley and put it on the bike. Work done:

1. New tactile covering - much better than the slidy vinyl cover that was on the original seat,

2. New memory foam in to replace standard stuff that was in the seat,

3. Added in medical gel to give support, actually increased the area over standard because I am a much larger gentleman that average,

4. Slight shape modification of the seat - reshape at the front where it meets the fuel tank and removal of a section that lead to a void in the seat so it could be filled with foam for additional support.

Tom said that it will take a couple hundred miles of riding before everything settles into place based on my riding position. I've done about 100 miles on it now over the weekend and its' made a massive difference. As you will see from the photos below, it hasn't changed much in looks but underneath its worlds apart from the stock seat. Due to the reshape work he did, it now fits the bike so much better (you will notice a gap between the seat and fairing in the first pic, its' now gone completely).

Easily the best £155 I have spent on the bike to date. Can't recommend it enough.

BEFORE:

https://i.imgur.com/pP9xxyR.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/LDSIRBB.jpeg

AFTER:

https://i.imgur.com/TUhclOn.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/C1pMMtZ.jpeg

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 07 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice upgrade there. Thumbs Up My old ER5 had a ridiculously slippery seat, so much so it reduced my chances of having kids by several % every time had to brake hard.

Look at those chickenstrips though Shocked expect to see those narrow down once the weather improves. Wink

Edit: also looks like your original seat was already aftermarket, or at least recovered? Looks like a Bagster?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 07 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Nice upgrade there. Thumbs Up My old ER5 had a ridiculously slippery seat, so much so it reduced my chances of having kids by several % every time had to brake hard.

Look at those chickenstrips though Shocked expect to see those narrow down once the weather improves. Wink

Edit: also looks like your original seat was already aftermarket, or at least recovered? Looks like a Bagster?

Never even noticed that before. It was terribly uncomfortable, the support on the front was non-existent. Mate, I don't have the bottle to try and lean hard in winter so the chicken strips will be there for a while yet Embarassed

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 07 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Mate, I don't have the bottle to try and lean hard in winter so the chicken strips will be there for a while yet Embarassed

Hence the weather improving bit, although spring doesn't arrive up there until late June does it? Laughing

I'm in the NW Highlands in late April so hoping for at least a few dry and mild days (not sure I'll stretch my optimism to "warm").

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 07 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Hence the weather improving bit, although spring doesn't arrive up there until late June does it? Laughing

I'm in the NW Highlands in late April so hoping for at least a few dry and mild days (not sure I'll stretch my optimism to "warm").

It was actually pretty decent all weekend, just this morning at 8am when I was getting ready to drive into Glasgow it was -1 and the roads were really slippery from the frost/ ice. I went out for a quick ride on my lunch break and it was up to + 6 and it was quite pleasant but driving around the city I ain't going to hoon it.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was actually pretty decent all weekend, just this morning at 8am when I was getting ready to drive into Glasgow it was -1 and the roads were really slippery from the frost/ ice. I went out for a quick ride on my lunch break and it was up to + 6 and it was quite pleasant but driving around the city I ain't going to hoon it.

I hate city centres for time on two wheels (engine or pedal powered); there's so much rubbish on the floor, oil from buses, food, grease from takeaways, mop slops chucked out of doorways etc.. the surface is never good. I went out on Sunday in the Peaks and although dry, the roads were so salty they were white. I did back of a bit because of this.

carbon90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:16 - 04 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice and comfy!

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 04 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

carbon90 wrote:
Looks nice and comfy!

It really is. As someone else pointed out the seat that was already on the ER6F was a Bagster seat that a previous owner put on it. The one Tom made beats the Bagster seat hands down: it's not even a contest.

I've went on a 240 mile cruise on the bike since getting the seat and the only reason I had to stop was for fuel. It's super comfortable. I am a really heavy guy and Tom factored that in when he was making it.

Honestly for the money it was easily worth it, not even a question, I will always go back for a custom seat from him on every bike I have from now on.

carbon90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 06:14 - 07 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

carbon90 wrote:
Looks nice and comfy!

It really is. As someone else pointed out the seat that was already on the ER6F was a Bagster seat that a previous owner put on it. The one Tom made beats the Bagster seat hands down: it's not even a contest.

I've went on a 240 mile cruise on the bike since getting the seat and the only reason I had to stop was for fuel. It's super comfortable. I am a really heavy guy and Tom factored that in when he was making it.

Honestly for the money it was easily worth it, not even a question, I will always go back for a custom seat from him on every bike I have from now on.

Great to hear how impressed you are. My uncle might like it as well. I'm coming over to his garage tomorrow for the new brake pads and tis wheels for his truck. I'll show that to him.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 07 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

carbon90 wrote:
Great to hear how impressed you are. My uncle might like it as well. I'm coming over to his garage tomorrow for the new brake pads and tis wheels for his truck. I'll show that to him.

Are you aware that your post has an advert inserted? You may have a virus or a rogue browser plug-in.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1