Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

VFR750 "Shed find"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:36 - 07 Mar 2022    Post subject: VFR750 "Shed find" Reply with quote

Well, I found it in my own shed.

Since both my Enfields seem to be working, I dragged out my "old" 4th Gen VFR750. I'm currently riding a 3rd gen one which I bought because the "old" one was in such an advanced state of grottiness, it was starting to become unreliable.

it occurred to me that the 3rd gen isn't as nice a bike as I remember the 4th gen being. The 4th gen was physically larger, comfier, bigger tank range and all round quicker. Not helped by the fact I got humped on the 3rd gen which is a restricted Japanese import. I've swapped out all the parts I can for UK spec but I suspect there is something else more fundamental like compression or igniotion advance holding it back.

Anyway, the 4th gen was ridden in all weathers, year round for about 7 years and stored outside. I stuck it in the naughty corner of the shed 10 years ago and have been robbing bits off it ever since.

The first job was to jack it up and fit a front wheel, then drag it out of the shed which was no mean feat in itself!

Large amounts if ming detected in this sector.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVSXy42WBjowrcfidvoFBOM43XVvL5YnV_RBqDKCRGMUjmwaga1u2LxRdjppOyN2m8y6RnZudWu4qD2nrU9OlwohJmMfNEdSJbDmG1_xz9jNbtsnF0FfmxPR3QMav596BZAY9nSpnt7HLEORwVzqdjx=w1378-h776-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWPinx7hY6TVrcp5LP1WHUyV8ufSzhmNnEoSNb_KreleHFlbGDTrSTQyNSLyolXGoMNGTqfG7kcRAGCvMmRzrXSlouhZAEn3OSrvaSVq9JPk9tEYFmEfrbg77PyS2h0dnmMv68ykYVWFDSEk2V7HrG6=w1378-h776-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWDdmVRZCfYtZzDYlf6fkbhuRkKDciufvWB6iaRqq_bpYxYPY2PrNw0Z4Vy1rI_zGpAFwQZShiMayM6mHwib-PHlb-_N76AJHXt3uag3CZPQab_xCsrgcE6JgI-WFhtRo1p9FG0sWM2A1FmJFNIGlQB=w1378-h776-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUAvHxh6W1I2B1b4ITKzZUJtoVXcH64nvaaGamI1ClADvraJGbBxmO29uSsnHC-NGBzlutxDurYxURZNgTRF738l3h5T5AbA3WaUjfyTgx5k7Gvx-KTEjMAYPbNEQ90rydWPwUR_kHu_ixpFZ_eN8dX=w1378-h776-no

Oh look, a decent reg/rec.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWMKJPlqk54NrZL_VdyS_fCjy1balG7rxl5sCk2o8z3_duhY8hAwWT-qAS0mDpd3yTBSYj82POCOQudd5wKu1UpCB8zF49icjeT58kpiaKvekyAWPYfE6FH8_D0rDhLEW2GmoOHPxbixAgAvcbyF7_z=w1378-h776-no

First thing I did was scrape the worst bits of cack off with a screwdriver then liberally gunk the whole bike and hose it down. It's still grotty but doesn't have actual lumps of crusty muck dropping off it all over the place.

This is not going to be a minor or cheap undertaking. All the front plastics are smashed beyond hope of redemption (and I'm quite handy with fibreglass) but I'm reasonably confident the plastics I have on the 3rd gen can be made to fit. If it starts looking really tidy, I might spring for an aftermarket fairing for it or I have half an idea I could bodge an RC30 race fairing onto it (which are available quite cheaply in coloured gelcoat).

I'll also put the sorted out suspension and brake parts off the 3rd gen onto it. which will hopefully go with a bit of imagination and bracketry.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:50 - 07 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

May as well start by getting everything tip-top. Carbs is a good place to start.

The 4th gen was fitted with flatslides rather than conventional carbs like the other models Drooling . I took all the jets and diaphragms out which were reasonably new because I fitted a stage 1 kit to it not too long before it was put away. The internals were actually tip-top but the whole outside was covered in black, gritty mankiness.

I took the whole bank, sprayed it with degreaser and dunked it repeatedly in a bucket of hot soapy water then rinsed it off. These pictures are AFTER washing!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLU8KQnrq2MB0bcQcofP5ZG51NF-L0zNzQjFOVYXw1I92bl2mBUni8zyh3chWpwrDri5ur7GPfex8umwATiTd4NxbFch4k7LvsxFb3H0NhxUNOj8f6f7EL-9TozoGo4Eo5h67LkFOx_N0qmDkGqVj3Rl=w1378-h776-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVQt8KfDLZPui7tsB4t4uWbcUSw4-8kjtr-9-KqC-pSu4ynTpdoMATrijQ0_8tcJ1IVSx4CRTiNDfrXMkqjKHLqNMZlH80hsqZXlVcp4eKXqIQecNE5dl_mnjNLHop_YGHLEfUBbbQWnZUtI-sPhgHi=w1378-h776-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVCOwF3Fr-5187SIb8aTMXmGwmGfM4HRk1rwcv0WeHnlJg1okthJSVSYE3b1vCCJCgtWz5haisEXXZI8VZtLrNB4P5AjTUMqt5UeXmdRFq0-iQy6T0DT1RONWq0V8Kk5t5cAXu4ERBAxbgVsDmi5ZoU=w1378-h776-no

I decided it still wasn't good enough so set about the slightly daunting task of splitting the bank so I could put them in my ultrasonic cleaner. This is not task for the faint-hearted! I took lots of reference photos and the Honda workshop manual has an order of operations for reassembly.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXi3NnBdXRfxtBrN-N8lPPULO-AgPGpJ_SeuvbtjnhqQurGB2BcdrTfVMxThh_ts5eew2y7vuTLvAeYJIlm3VmWgGiWNr_zRkMpNRl-G0rsfkb_QgWonmKgG3j4p8jwqsvTicMD0sigKboXJMThzpuj=w1378-h776-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLW_A9HlwzWl4cQSf6HWfhTvo3BiNJHV7LiFLzT5rD-mlDGIrF8H6Obc6fepWCEP2fDfu4qxcpvdZJ_R6qTdPsE1isNYFDpzMYeoUb0sAz80RdpHrT4-6puXo0yq5M5GJ_a0M3FL2WH3J6FQO0nTDcMj=w1378-h776-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXPj5tDUorJhTKuE6JrHSsXHg1m9x9Kf6N2znaOdp5G_JKw0zgReZxhlkHfwLzGAEuDu5ANFrRiu5tPqAnuqOWDR5HafXdlwN5WYABOiwOBqaZbANg7aRlmHxSbNAGTktu0_FR93v652JX78xGvTfB4=w1378-h776-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLW8uNb777jzntCZjMvmpA4ImZwbVJZXrD6a17LzKA0REh3TF3qPUelpjz50pFt5wWP8PFuyUainknYvoNqr4SJt-8jU5j1Bjo8Q_4-61h7nvADLG1yuTGhXzkQ_v3Dn2ZEJzCWiHVR-X1Ob6aVsZojy=w1378-h776-no

So the whole lot got ultrasonically cleaned, blown through with compressed air, carb cleaner then air again and reassembled. linkaged lubed with silicone grease and the whole lot wiped over with ACF50.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWw6BAVub-1_IrbELV8o2rj1-9yyqEbAbQIWiIrbm1Vcr6ZoJDUBfKV-IT4aiijecuJgrcHhf3Y1nPF45tlHPbLTgHJnATV4W2JNbiNErz6PJzUO2fM2mBHohjHVF8k2sTcdkuZHYFcfCqIQgECsuWH=w1378-h776-no

New rubbers and throttle cables ordered.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:04 - 07 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've removed the rear subframe, peg hangers and mudguard. The subframe is sat in an electrolysis bath for the next few days. Only had to drill out one fitting. This model was peak Honda!

Remarkably the exhaust system came right off with no snapped studs (I fitted them though so lots of anti-seize compound and brass nuts were used). The system itself looks remarkably sound. It was a stainless sytem but is looking quite grotty. I've put it in a bucket of vinegar and have ordered a couple of new flanges because the ones that are fitted have cracked.

If it doesn't pan-out, I have a brand new 3rd gen motad system in a box which will fit but doesn't allow you to keep the mainstand.

I did a more intensive clean up of the space between the cylinders with paraffin, a toothbrush and lots of paper towel ready for fitting the carbs (safest thing, the there aren't open inlet ports).
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUhRVGhqzuV8IXiDOJdm659weCGDfyYMshifoPUVPgeaLnFL7tXA_bJdhEYtoCVDgjJVy1fUknodnmm5zaDAcSJ1-B2gg1fKkOOeLPUcZByq1CQXfSMpnc8DJRgNIcHU3wuz6Syc7iQSZf47UXUnSeo=w1378-h776-no

I also stripped the thermostat housing and checked the 'stat is working in a pan of boiling water because it is the mother of all bastard jobs to get at once the carbs and airbox are on. I also had a set of silicone coolant pipes for a 3rd gen which I never fitted and they turned out to be as close as makes no difference to the 4th gen ones. Fitted those, new mikalor clamps and a thin smear of castrol rubber grease on the stubs to prevent them rotting again. Followed by a good squirt of ACF50 because once the carbs are fitted, you can't get at any of this area.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLW3pH0DusnGVM1ZZU6z0dXbRNby-Z1Sh9nVZpZXmyuvjLmOHwf65NzpIp7_QDh6_DsivTKMSm5ziCgqD65XvzUq5FDviPRbPvTjJ2S6rMsoHJa3UUeXdZ2YLy3-zSAvaay3oaIvt4_jHnEVF3hlt56t=w1378-h776-no

Radiator is toast. Choice of taking a punt on a Chinese pattern one sent over from Poland or a neater used one than mine for about half the price. I've decided the used one is probably less risky!

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 07 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the wiring harness fubared?
It doesn't look outrageously buggered in the pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:09 - 07 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Is the wiring harness fubared?
It doesn't look outrageously buggered in the pics.

Seems broadly ok. I'm going to give it all a good wipe down and maybe soak the connectors in bags of cleaner/degreaser then give them a good spray of contact cleaner and dielectric grease.

I'm trying to beware of not doing everything at once, it's too much of a task. A bit at a time and move on to the next thing.

Next job will be new plugs, fit the carbs then fit the coolant system, drain oil, filters, re-fit the exhaust and it needs the clutch doing. I can be de-rusting and repainting bracketry inbetween times. I'll leave the cycle parts and bodywork until after it's running.

The back end is SERIOUSLY manky. I'll maybe do a bit of fibreglass repair to the rear hugger too, that's a good inside job for after work one night.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool project. Will be watching this one, even if not commenting or upvoting or whatever.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:36 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bookmarked! Thumbs Up

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work so far.. My kind of 'resto'. Thumbs Up

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell, and I thought mine was a horror. Shocked

stinkwheel wrote:
The 4th gen was fitted with flatslides rather than conventional carbs like the other models Drooling .

I'm sure you know better than I do, but I thought with a flatslide carb (and slide carbs generally) that the slide was operated directly by the throttle (and there's no butterfly valve), and on CV carbs the butterfly valve is operated by the throttle and the slide is moved by the vacuum pressure of the airflow.

But I'm sure that on my 4th Gen 750, the throttle operates the butterfly valves, so which bit of the above am I wrong about?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:07 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

I'm sure you know better than I do, but I thought with a flatslide carb (and slide carbs generally) that the slide was operated directly by the throttle (and there's no butterfly valve), and on CV carbs the butterfly valve is operated by the throttle and the slide is moved by the vacuum pressure of the airflow.

But I'm sure that on my 4th Gen 750, the throttle operates the butterfly valves, so which bit of the above am I wrong about?

You are correct. But they still have throttle valves and on the 1,2 and 3 gen they are round throttle valves and on the 4th gen they are flat ones. Maybe I used the wrong term? Flatslide CV carbs?

3rd gen:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVzaka68yxRTfk9KQH6jbPE41T0SpcW2DwYCX-uUFEWhTkwOBtICZzt_-IPBK5DtfModkYiARSAS310hpoNo1r7vUyp8NkkbbWkkLk5-WdY3MUXi4jhm-O6mEEApOzd3tyilFJ8PrWj6ICZEoyYnLwg=w1182-h886-no

4th gen:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLU9wY5c0mxPH-L_1a06YF13C31Kx3Pq7dThzd6lCRPLkC1acrifJhIUg5ft8R0KuMa4RmlD_CLjzfgeQU-V4bbIr1tWDOTjkxYh9ht4OezoDaC4YtFqwXQhCSokGM-pne_PPHwmu1GIN2QCEym3FRIJ=w704-h530-no

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
But they still have throttle valves and on the 1,2 and 3 gen they are round throttle valves and on the 4th gen they are flat ones. Maybe I used the wrong term? Flatslide CV carbs?

Ah, I see what you mean now. No idea what the correct term is though. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 09 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine if you wanted to get to the top end quickly flat slides are the way to go. That being said the 4th Gen you picture is more a "square slide" - probably the low end would be too choppy with a flatter slide Thinking

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 09 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating thread - I will be watching this one closely. I look at my (admittedly more modern) VFR and the thought of stripping it down to this level I find mildly terrifying. Much respect. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:25 - 09 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Fascinating thread - I will be watching this one closely. I look at my (admittedly more modern) VFR and the thought of stripping it down to this level I find mildly terrifying. Much respect. Thumbs Up

One thing is, these bikes were made to be taken apart. With two exceptions, every nut and bolt has come off. They are complex but the important thing is the order of operations, gotta do stuff in order. You'll look at a bit and think "How the hell do I get that nut off?" then realise they've made a little hole in the frame and a cutaway in another componant that allows you to thread an extension bar in.

Classic example is the rear shock. It looks like a total impossability without removing the swingarm, then you read the manual and realise they fitted a hatch in the bottom of the battery box. Undo two screws, remove the hatch and the shock lifts out. Same with the front plugs, remove a single bolt and the radiator pivots forwards out of the way. It's covered in stuff like that.

I currently have half the brackets in either an electrolysis bath or a vat of vinegar. Got a 2 1/2 day weekend coming up. Expect progress.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
One thing is, these bikes were made to be taken apart. With two exceptions, every nut and bolt has come off. They are complex but the important thing is the order of operations, gotta do stuff in order. You'll look at a bit and think "How the hell do I get that nut off?" then realise they've made a little hole in the frame and a cutaway in another componant that allows you to thread an extension bar in.

Classic example is the rear shock. It looks like a total impossability without removing the swingarm, then you read the manual and realise they fitted a hatch in the bottom of the battery box. Undo two screws, remove the hatch and the shock lifts out. Same with the front plugs, remove a single bolt and the radiator pivots forwards out of the way. It's covered in stuff like that.

I currently have half the brackets in either an electrolysis bath or a vat of vinegar. Got a 2 1/2 day weekend coming up. Expect progress.

Interesting. I've just got hold of the workshop manual for my 2019 VFR, I wonder if they retained that attitude into their newer bikes. Certainly, the C90 (totally different animal of course) does seem to be designed to work easily with, but that's probably more to do with it's (original) target audience/locality.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Japs are pretty good at assemble and usually this translates to the disassembly.

I've taken apart a fair bit of my XSR and it's all pretty logical, service manual not really necessary. The ol' Triumph, not so much Neutral

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:04 - 12 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I stole the vacuum adapter stubs off this engine for the other one. It's not a vacuum fuel tap so I'm just fitting one in case I want to fit a scotoiler. The others can be blanked off with screws. Got some nice brass ones.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWxg7qsq-zrGBiK33kiR5wz838awSe6tkDjmstCPiqK82pVq1FXoWBumLthZg33WwRu6oUVjLMA79fZjT5WkDn2ZK0YHsH4chmXEIKerv3_saMm3ne1r1Qa7cnc-y8jEuLj0nFCRXpGsdKGEiFNU1_Q=w1378-h776-no

With the new rubbers, the carb bank popped into place pretty easily. For that read by applying nearly my whole bodyweight to the plate but without having to lever with anything. Used new stainless clamps.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUWDKic1Wo1Thu_fwafFA7KfUqVU-i2QlRxBNHylbIz9ECLSTPhWFKoR1Oh_sfk9IB4A6fealmtbN2hYpHscJikZVZuVeLOJxl2g71L0mzvlsu_024JN8fepMCQrloO4h3v-C3tQ9Fs21VN_vTWHA7Z=w1378-h776-no

New throttle cables fitted and working. Was a tad tricky to route them but I think they're int he right place. I've also robbed the choke cable which is currently on the enfield as a throttle cable so a new one on order.

Airbox cleaned up and fitted. New air filter.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWzZXbrx9Hu1TZJbB7O4qtrjoJNGqIp03yFghrjfPokGz42TdZKkB0XdA8HvuQJ3ndpR1MvT2M2CcUcBP9zR4L8cJGOiQ7g7ad8HIE6hOKglSllxhvNR28q8kPnfZucwS2zJ5aqlug55hf7GvOBu2p9=w1378-h776-no

Also fitted the new sparkplugs while i have the radiator off. much easier to get into. First time I've seen actual OEM sparkplugs. I got a service kit from David Silvers for less than buying the pattern parts elsewhere.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLV05AuTvGEq-PPOf3sS5Mnaiw6ap-pIA1ydMKoPGmQoSDAJoAhwcVoWAbGzU_Cp4lVA5XGgy0N42X7uC_BVREMqaewVFwAaguVgftnx9vFtAYQBDam1-imhBrrfLjv5QNEAQNeyHKWx3zk40pedUuH9=w1378-h776-no

The bike had a terrible clutch rattle. Sounded like a Ducati so I decided to investigate this. Cover off and most of the pain stripped. I'll have another go tomorrow. Maybe even do some painting.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUIm0X0A3B_qfTsrg4X4HKASsch-q24Y8QOEFTXD__1RqA6xrQnZGhlBLS6NJ60uExyuKncvx62_IEpN2kxjUzfcdgymLPJdLHFtvvFzbyT4IJkK91PiU5Z9ac5hDKFu1pbAAbqcZeTTYP1UMZxBmxC=w1378-h776-no

Like a swiss watch in there.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUa4r0PhoitNdunyWP6hmeGhslWgkbL2Uwl01FGovZ374A0fBH40ROTeDsu7qcA3kbpkfEk_hRuFt7ybVplhCA2_t9cGuxy394pp5jZspDopqHZRY4pxs28QLzZBwlNJAgCPGyi-zQjbcDzvq9Q3ObW=w1378-h776-no

One possible source of rattle is the oil pump drive chain.They are normally loose but this one is very loose. Ordered a new one. They aren't expensive so it may as wekk be replaced while I'm in there.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUJMa9BZvwLJdD5AB6K9wyot4wOqbKPIqcfuMhr6AeQU_2l8HzONYsjI3hGr2-2SbP9hZxY3T-bCn1g3m550jUKlmIoBDWVakHYkoaWH6tQ0FawHXUl9x6EUGfeJzBfQ36_CGdOTSOnadF5eGtt0IJr=w1378-h776-no

However, I'm 90% sure the rattle is due to compressed/loose clutch damper springs. I got a used clutch with lower mileage but they're rattling on this one too. Looking into the possability of replacing them but it's a rivetted assembly which would need drilling apart. Then springs and rivets sourcing (not listed as seperate parts) and it riveting back together again.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVOs3fN5_OeQxq2PN9Uz44tgnM0p4ENj7Y_2oE0UzqnHGLcrTCRRhHfSJL4QpuI3O-bHxdxTYPDknB4_PMZ2wIyUolLqssUuG9phzeXucEHOEhLzpmUwG_6WWqHTdmF_K0cw6znlnqDPU1FHRZ5mKLY=w1034-h775-no

The alternative is to either live with it (nobody is going to die because of it) or fork out £££ ?£? for a new basket.

Also decided to try the harpic X10 toilet cleaner trick on the exhaust. A qualified success I'd say. On closer inspection, the magic ingredient is hydrochloric acid. Hovever at £1.95 per bottle. It's cheaper than patio cleaner.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWTWFE-798aL3pDc51lxOZnMDcP4H558aafVvESg30zXNuyprAMRbPhp5M0kseuZnHP-crb-uAj-eOqWcx5TvBCo5VFnm9cr8ajfNt4wZziOZIjOBVFvOGFONS9CJ-9OC7_oCXmnH1qjxVK6TEyAV0A=w1378-h776-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVQ3TKG9ZmhKVyGl2KFLjs2pdwi-VJrWS-Dm3C8Rv7W13jZveXWgW19qWznvvMzns4m2RZ-3BJEXI2lkqssVy1mVN01CZtQ_vJr3Ae89-2tNlMPbrzPEFVOBvdcqEyqE1dC5rINNcgrhR0iHjEgjZkI=w1378-h776-no

Still got half a bottle so I'll have another go at it tomorrow. The aim is to have the exhaust back on tomorrow and maybe get some painting done. Also scrape off the old clutch cover gasket.

I might just give that splitter section a coat of VHT paint. You can't really see it once it's fitted anyway.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:19 - 14 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided enough is enough with cleaning the exhaust, you really can't see it anyway. The mid section seems to have corroded more than the rest, I suspect it's lower grade stainless. I treated it with phosphoric acid rust killer so there's no loose rust and what is there is now black phosphate.

Fitted the mid section today. I decided to use ceramic grease this time as an anti-sieze measure, should be very heat stable.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVUowvjqHTKp6DbVmDu7TGTcrfCH7BthulUTiPKuLWYXmh4QgZFdgO4QJcag9iQjJ8hO-hyEqUhbO1t8hl5BCVBynH1h5RNUh4tgcwrdofh5fVXJoy8_W7xm3i-AbHddDGVhFnoDX0DycTqw9wqFY7t=w1378-h776-no

Brass nuts. There's a bit of a crack in the flange but it all seems right and tight when screwed down.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVLmL19lvFSFFoJ3PrI3wGDoaVXqpYQw9wQJ5meNa2dRDhSvyikEhKEeLZ0naaWCA5nKuHP7uoF0VzYFWKGhCsSFErRYHTjV64ind1AL_iyM-WdJq8m2b5CrrLhTBfmPwfhLrHaC52vsjRK8VAwjVnJ=w1378-h776-no

Fitted new studs for the front pipes.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXFitD5TFWSQAlqARp7svc29bYd0s2F-1DdS8OinLJRpQPWfzEhfXWTz639O9Wdz8gvM-HZrhq8ab7d7N-IQS1wbtlUhUAA9sATW5NaE5X2qij9HFupVRN6ouS-7lO05cXv-UXptQ6BCDWBtH4Mfaah=w1378-h776-no

I can't fit the front pipes yet because both flanges have split in half. I got some bankrupt stock motad flanges off ebay but the hole centres aren't quite right. I need to oval out the stud holes slightly. Stainless is a bastard to work so after snapping my good round file, I've ordered a carbide burr for my pneumatic wizzer.

Spent a long time scraping paint off the subframe and clutch cover. When I've done this before (with hondas of the same era, so the same paint) I just put stripper on and hosed the paint off 5 minutes later. I tried some of the new nitromorse on it but I may as well have pissed on it. Lost my temper and managed to find someone illicitly selling some proper paint stripper with dichloromethane in it on ebay.

After scraping the remaining clutch cover gasket off, I'm waiting for parts before I can reassemble the primary drive so i decided to have a go at the back-end. The pictue doesn't do justice to shear amount of grot hanging around here. Mostly oil muck thankfully.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUVT-Twg4E0eBecwVn57nkerUsUZ_tQXb3WP79c27d_hHm6vjorGj_K2pYUPIiq2gV-y8UbE2Kf_UnTojTRZ6o_SJICIGEPGVnfJNTrRi1qYSLoDUcGAzhbpclfpDT77HuPvozCmDTWp1_PsENWX91M=w436-h775-no

Removed the caliper and disc. One of the stepped torque arm bolts is corroded beyond reasonable re-use so a new one ordered. The torque arm itself is a bit of folded mild steel. The 5th gens use a bit of solid alloy here (with different hole centres) so I've ordered a bit of alloy to make one. Also ordered new disc bolts. The calliper will need stripping and rebuilding but not today.

It doesn't look it but I actually serviced the whole rear suspension not so many miles ago so the shock and linkages came apart very easily. I then set about de-yakking the back end with paraffin and a paintbrush.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXjmvDMRBJF-OtgMBSbdDJNETzuDEPRosGs67UhQGAJbuYGImdt3fCqyFF4QShDolXaiFAQOA7FfcaQCba-79s6hv_l6PVjlMU7pwjCoq1ccvxo6EN3nrPsZDb_U9tl4UrF_dZ-UNXjpIy4dUOdkuK1=w436-h775-no

It rapidly became apparent that this was a bit of a herculean task so i dismounted the sprocket and removed the swingarm. This is surprisingly easy to do providing you have the special tools and a windy gun. I have the castle nut socket but no 14mm allen key. I improvised using one of the unitrak bolts (which has a 14mm head) with two nuts locked onto the threads. It's just undoing the distance collar for the swingarm which isn't in very tight anyway.

I'd say that's a good 70% of the yak off this bit. I'll probably re-assemble it from here and get the rest with a pressure washer.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVMHJ6jxsIs2g-bSWECW8TNuVCoOD0jHhL2JMluQ3qs58GHAw7NxZ6ivK_HvSYjlNB0PrJR0PgDgD_Vy3O7Hh2PAI7nHTPY7Yl6CoaRgQiiLBwrMUy62PD1gDZfoKbgJlXC2VwA9C5Td2SaiKETOgDL=w436-h775-no

Swingarm was much easier to clean off the bike. Inside will be good because when I had it off last I waxoyled the inside then filled it with closed cell foam so water and grit can't track along the inside and damage the stub axle bearings (which are £££!).
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUqHajAAIfLEtG0FFVWBRp7ivhprd23xxgp2TlBLUwDjMWXEJIg_rd8Cq7Q4Wh04WiWi_7rimPUPGbFNHcmwXtx6xg3X8I_wYQ8S5QsZRXnKPCxSNRvKvP7lhxlu9j1vwjPhbkCU3uZnULt3WB8jxTl=w1378-h776-no

Didn't get any painting done today. Too windy.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:47 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got most of the exhaust on. First job was to oval the holes slightly in my new flanges so the studs line up. Top is the original, middle is how they came, bottom is with holes ovalled.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWLdquXghnYGZI7ST32XMEnFCLLR5aG0urdxXF44Sl7_3RlF1AMhxaB1p0CD-LdyWYrvm2_a1s8OrF7yJ9q7prOuS4janYs4aTAKOyfH095K17YeF5QKoJuERq_Y3OfWxQ-dH6oMyFFsZbLU1xSXI3i=w436-h775-no

The stainless was hard as hell but a tungsten carbide burr made short work of it. Most of the burrs for sale on ebay which say they are tunsten carbide, aren't, they are some sort of high speed steel. A solid carbide burr has a greyish lusture to it and will blast through damned near anything and isn't particularly prone to overheating so you can get aweay without loads of cutting fluid. Biggest clue is the price, if you are getting six of one sort and one of the other sort for the same price, the single one was the solid carbide.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWji8UZWo2grQi0Hm6FPR4VL7vkgLDzf93fieBz6GSg9yPD1C9CFKy-kDvKV64YeAO3CHD4TTLFeTvt9L8gHKhcN7MMBJbgbQ93nbkJe0iHHuKDb5H7AdhXovj8XgQmamTlloje0W9Sc9dUiB9Ro90o=w1378-h776-no

Found some nice brass acorn nuts to hold it on with so these should fly off if I need to remove them again.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUjOMjvqsf_n-wT5xj_QXrhQDCk5CAgxX9iKEJfOyg9bT2RU0YpGL1EPA-nbe9US-akuYDJkxpNxp4BvBAZQaGG-mVbNSjtN5WhZeF6ZoVQAU-SENyf2eSRWDcFE8wxH314iDERlbTLHGigMvwwl-2E=w1378-h776-no

If anyone is getting their head in a spin fitting VFR exhausts. The header pipes cross.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWhQWlMy-nLfKaQ3w5Ck4lmd-qYwyJ32IfG-A9j6yqOYWIpC0pPN3DVg79V4DGT-Fcfe4wEY0UdDkFVraJRPUTgaS8TkM8x7Fb4xYZQ-egRe19iv6g2U3r0ngl5kD_uG3Kpv8Xa1NUPPUcON43CtDHu=w1378-h776-no

I have a high level micron link pipe kicking about somewhere. It'll need a bend with two diameters fitting between the mid section and link pipe but I can't measure that until the subframe is fitted so I can see where the end-can lands up. Plenty places doing bespoke exhaust bends these days. Might even see if they'll tig some loops on so I can fit it as a sprung slip-joint.

Proper paint stripper arrived.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVykEvgtz_BcUAoJYHw3HYr39zWAJt1ciYn1gku5xy1Ue4ufA6XHu9RXYKuTzL3nXEwFI3d8QxTPTSP6XZv5ur5GFQmjhsOMW_L7DGY8qrNZ2p9OVH3iETOyF4nWyIhxzrSUO8-SgoCmsI8Z9APyfXs=w1378-h776-no

These LPHV spray guns are fantastic for painting small things. I'm even contemplating doing the fairings. Absolute minimum overspray compared to the old spray gun I have. You can legit just move stuff a bit out of the way when using it rather than sheeting everything in the vicinity.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLV97gvgjAZBAVeDcerQgwmPs9A6C2qdYly5168QhfS2K9osCCFOjoH_0sLydT_hcgX6DnovJWhIjCyDBxLtJKuhxLgPX0KBWOaKCOGM-vXjN5IVYiAdPXNjT-_ZZTaXqiPNG30yVDGRJoxqaiJSUh1P=w1378-h776-no

Quite a good result considering the starting point. ALthough you can't really see this once the fairings are fitted anyway.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLU1pAupXMLWV4cQiSwDiBQvlQtS67IqXStEuA8BujSnVX_73bRyZTTHLQVTwGAS-dJA6zdO0yIUbAxdKFWtp2f8HYkkC_Oz174VQ00QIKs76_T_eaHEC2c2_ai0aPEtrB-88ZPVlqwiDEFEvai8_Wv7=w1378-h776-no

Done the subframe too. Again, this is covered up. It's supposed to be silver but I have a tin of Massey Ferguson gray so I used that.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWArYmIZwq9z--unDBVt0Ur4BRrS1B4vGTjB7qS9-E41hV7Gz5Ww3gQCIszl6p2_xqkxF5eQnIeM5ICXGobv6xanSQTTsrG5Nil0F54lSHD1IRvLXmMve4TSa5xbFCxVWCa3t10stWZDxPtiE2Xx7B-=w1378-h776-no

probably enough for one day.

Once the paint's hardened on the cover, I can refit the clutch with the new oil pump chain pending finding someone to re-build a clutch basket (I have a spare now). Then it'll be in a position where I can get a pressure washer at it and get rid of the remaining crap before starting reassembly.

Shock off the 3rd gen isn't going to fit, which is a shame. It's longer. I used CAD (cardboard assisted design) to mock up a new triangular plate that would keep the geometry but account for the extra length and it's not going to go, part of the dogbone would foul the exhaust. From cross referencing aftermarket shock part numbers. I could fit a shock off a VFR1200 or an early VTEC VFR800. I'll refit the original one initially, they are easy enough to swap out once you know the trick. I don't recall there being anythng actually wrong with it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:17 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aim for today was to get the bike in a position to roll it off the ramp and pressure wash it. I want to take it in the van to the industrial grade carwash up the road. i also want the ramp for a day to do stuff to mrs stinkwheels new scooter.

New oil pump drive chain fitted, clutch and starter clutch refitted and torqud up.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUV170CUI01lcaXNUM0V_erOgola2Upp84dphzthjKl8XOboqEIojp82UlG7UyhHZ-7QK-qsqFKgn4hC1VbU6ZBxLTZO4qGrYnMeQlDiJ4yTODNIkiN_IyWFG4T_SwrNxnsUNXtlYy7cLbYxoOkjDT8=w1378-h776-no

If the delay has had any benefits, it's that the paint on the cover is fully hardened. New gasket.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUiMqB2AihFkQ2amlnFSBvJfoLx2s6yDki3R7PT6LwIjMRNtaenKQXrzz6X_2LQNCDrOhKmJtPPj0jJWX0LzGiNzzovYNIc9kp9nROFn-VpnNYEuyiJoFRp60kP8TlFt4TUPpdvunr69gnPydQPLcWw=w1378-h776-no

Swingarm is remerkably easy to remove and refit, again providing you observe the order of operations. You'll see a threaded collar sticking out of the frame in the above picture. You hold the swingarm roughly in position then screw that collar down onto it until it engages with the bushing on the swingarm. That holds it in place. You then slide the pivot bolt through which engages in the collar. You tighten the collar down using the pivot pin with a torque wrench to a specific (and surprisingly low, 19ft/lb as I recall) torque which grips the swingarm in position and preloads the bearings. Then you screw a castellated nut down on top of the collar to lock it in place. The main nut on the swingarm pivot doesn't load the bearings at all, it just holds the pivot into the frame.

Surprisingly, the chain looks ok after a good soaking in old engine oil and a scrub with paraffin and a toothbrush. it was all yacked up with lube and road dirt but isn't rattly or corroded.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLU8bg6pc_2Y3CuXBoovMunw6Gq3JT_3Ve1i1Sdr9XL-qVmj8juZI76062l2GQlSuJdrf61qwyy2mtc94iuK-wFf2M3czrJ94NUGkCgtWg5KSj-h-FAVn80n22Azv_fNoOki732ZJcjjVAJvrrI-MLpJ=w1378-h776-no

The shock drops down from above, you put two of the bolts through one of the triangular plates to engage the shock and dogbone then lift up the swinger and insert the third bolt. Then it's just putting the scond plate on and tightening the nuts. I've had this job be much more of a rigmarole on other bikes.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXDF4fbRpXAJuYmm5BfpXpfRy1v5jJV3Gx3W4SdyksT0K8IdnvjcmmJ2l97kM-qHu7-Y6haQl5EaxlcEaj3anTsHSPn7MvUiB_HfMO4AsxVaUXKar9Wl_ZoVKsWMg2-0ekHNLMKtXC-DpOcg38Ie151=w1378-h776-no

Manky rear wheel back on temporarily (I have a powder coated one to go on it later) and it's ready to wheel away and give it a wash. I've deliberately left the subframe and sprocket cover off so it can all get a good blast out with the hot, soapy pressure washer.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVRJiEJ5JIzDudoLSZ1QbUs-hPZbmEuP92BktLRVaOKDjSZUi1Z_tZTyiGVZMHvjDPcrTdixUK6j-YBVgX_c0RYaSJvZMRWFVAPNyM6nCqH0KSyGa3broDF0Z4SUsX3bI1685MF2aOIphwB4B4r-dWy=w1378-h776-no

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 16 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your prowess at this is impressive Thumbs Up .
The use of brass nuts is something I hadn’t thought of, it just makes sense.

Impressed Pepperami is impressed Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:13 - 16 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decicded loading and unloading a 250kg bike from the van with no brakes would probably be asking for trouble so i went for the old fashioned way of brushing it down with paraffin, rinsing, then muck off then another rinse.

Looking a lot better now.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXYAS5sLMCNYZCiTDtR2JZoEq6k_ylixBFrZlLIJp4YEwtlIHBkTNYjH6r0gXi8Ogpm34fsQ_NgtHA2DWsyen_uQrCryotsZ0B-2vJOgBbLEhZ6jKmx8e_zC5q2TPQ4P55ZsPllBdYZNitUMxiVXXX_=w1378-h776-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWzvPGJwNbBlLg3lMxCh4MQjQz5SXp1cYwk_B0A1Zui5GC9rdp45zy-WWnSlh0vggP9MTO740AfAA5Cra9WPkv-Pr75KnJmzushlkkEIFLeI6Zr6cltmFqIoaQYqzoN9Zve-yeqygbAfD4flj6VT9d1=w1378-h776-no

Haven't done the front end yet. It's not having those forks and callipers anyway and I want to paint the front subframe and bottom yoke.

It took me nearly an hour to put the coils back on with their repainted brackets in the correct orientation and that was with the assistance of pictures from before I removed them!

Hopefully fit the rear subframe and mudguard tomorrow. There will be a great deal of head-scratching and referring back to previous photos to get all the knitting untangled and in the right place.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 17 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sorta see it with a shaft drive but does a single sided swing arm offer a massive advantage on a chain driven bike? Seems to be a lot of "engineering" going on Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:10 - 17 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I can sorta see it with a shaft drive but does a single sided swing arm offer a massive advantage on a chain driven bike? Seems to be a lot of "engineering" going on Thinking

It was first fitted to the RC30 model which was effectively a race homologation model. It makes for epic quick wheel changes, four nuts, wheel off, new wheel on and nuts back on. No wheel alignment issues. Adjust chain tension by loosening a single bolt and rotating an eccentric adjuster. When you want a tyre fitted, you can simply ride in, pop it on the mainstand and have the wheel off in a minute. Obviously this has real advantages in an endurance race when it comes to pit stops.

It also allows more room for routing the exhaust from the rear cylinders.

Of course they cocked it up when they put it onto the road version by using a right hand exit exhaust that has to be moved out of the way to get the wheel out. Rolling Eyes I'm most likely going to fit a high level pipe to counter this issue. Left hand exit exhausts are available but they are ££££.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 17 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, big undertaking. Should open up your own bike repair shop.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3