BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stolen :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bikenomad
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:57 - 09 Mar 2022    Post subject: Stolen :( Reply with quote

My Honda VFR800F got stolen in Watford Sad where I've been visiting family and stayed over.

So I've never left the bike uncovered when on my drive in London (of course), usually with 3 chains and padlocks on it, chained to the fence.

In Watford as well, on the night in question, I cleaned and lubed the chain and tucked my silver buffalo in for the night, excited about riding it to work for the first time the next day - and being in office for the first time in 2 years! Chained to the drain cover grating, covered and disc lock on.

And the next morning as I sauntered downstairs with my topbox - to the parking lot (off-street, but not gated) adjoining the block of flats at 7:45 - I thought for once I was going to be well in time for work!

Alas! And that sinking feeling when greeted by thin air where the bike is hard to get rid of, 2 weeks from the incident.
The buggers took the drain cover along as well. No evidence left behind, except empty space... and a bike-shaped hole in my heart - that I'm desperate to fill.

(And as expected, the police emailed 2 days later saying "due to insufficient evidence...the investigation is now concluded." Can't blame 'em, no CCTVs, and I don't think there are any traffic cams nearby at all.)

So....

Options:
    Get the same one (which is gonna be pricey - it was a 2017 67-reg 8th gen VFR)
    Get an older VFR (which I'll keep comparing to my now-stolen one Sad)
    Or get a different bike altogether, so that even when I grieve, it's not with a like-for-like comparison.

What say?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 09 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bastards! It happened to me years ago and I still remember that sick feeling so… what do you say on these occasions? My condolences?

I replaced the bike with the same model, though not immediately. I hadn’t had the first one for long when it vanished though.

Can I take the obvious joke and say Watford looks lovely?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take the opportunity for a change. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If insurance are paying out then how does the price stop you getting an equivalent year and spec one?

If it was me, I would take the opportunity to get something different. The new Suzuki GSX-S1000GT looks great to me:

https://prod-suzuki.azureedge.net/media/18688/gsx-s1000gt_m2_ysf_right_2000x1500.png?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=600&rnd=132779012180000000

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
If insurance are paying out then how does the price stop you getting an equivalent year and spec one?

At a guess, because the insurance are paying out...

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be going for a VFR again myself. Maybe an older one, or maybe even an excuse to give a VFR1200 a go.

If you want an identical one, haven't they been in production for a good few years before yours? You might be able to find one similar to the insurance payout, but a bit older?

I've never been in the insurance payout situation with a bike or car (and hope I don't), but assuming it was insured for either a specific value, or the "market value", I would be arguing against a lower payout as the whole point of insurance is to put you back in the position you were before the claim. if they're claiming a 5k payout is market value but you can't get the same bike anywhere for under 7.5k, I'd be making that known to them and get them to justify their figure.

FWIW I have successfully dealt with an insurance company (it was home rather than bike though) who were trying to squirm repeatedly out of a claim by giving them a last chance, then following their complaints procedure (still no progress at this stage) then invoking the ombudsman (suddenly they changed their mind and coughed up the full amount).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 19 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1