Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

One 'not careful owner'. Project CB 125F

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dan Norse
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:33 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: One 'not careful owner'. Project CB 125F Reply with quote

Been away from bikes for a few years and decided to ease back in gently with a little runabout, ideal for our low speed local roads.

I’d long admired the looks of the various retro looking bikes, but was put off by the relative lack of reliability and quality issues of the Chinese bikes I'd read about and the better ones are out of my 'allowed' price range...

So I set out to try and recreate a little of those rugged, basic bike looks using a tried and trusted base bike from one of the main Japanese manufacturers.

After looking for a while I found a 2020 Honda CB125F which had been gently thrown down the road at some point and also been neglected in the oil department. i.e. it had been run dry, que lots of smoke and drama followed by six months parked in the garage and one very p*ssed off mamma.

I paid a measly sum and am setting about creating the bike I’d always wanted. I'm collecting 'goodies' in readiness and have removed most of the largely broken plastic.

Looks like the previous owner wasn't bullsh*tting when she said it ran out of oil... Have to say that otherwise it all looked pretty good in there. The oil screen was spotless (only 5880kms on the engine) and the centrifugal oil thingy was also spotless.

I was expecting to find metal everywhere. There was even compression when I undid the screws on the spinner...

Next up is to pull the head and cylinder to have a squint at the piston/rings/bore and give the con rod a good 'wiggle' etc. I'm sure the piston and cylinder will be toast. Maybe some seals or even the clutch too, will have to see.

Cheers for having us Wink

p.s. if anyone knows how these little engines typically 'fail' when run dry, I'd love to learn from your experience. I'm imagining that the piston will expand and seize first, maybe before the crank etc. is damaged (wishful thinking maybe??)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:34 - 11 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be having a very close look at the cam and follower surfaces and journals. Also the oil pump and oil pump drive gears.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 11 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone just pour half a cup of treacle into an ice cream tub?

I wouldn't spend too long trying to fix the motor if the crank and/or head has given out. Usually quicker/cheaper to replace the whole unit from a crashed one.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Dan Norse
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:18 - 11 Mar 2022    Post subject: Inside the clutch cover... Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'd be having a very close look at the cam and follower surfaces and journals. Also the oil pump and oil pump drive gears.

Thanks, that makes sense, everything at the top is suspect. I had hoped that the pump would be at the bottom so at least in theory sitting in what little oily sludge was left in there...

I pulled the clutch cover and was pleasantly surprised to see quite beefy gears in there, they looked fine.

Have decided to pull the engine out instead of faffing about with it in the frame. May as well have a proper look on the bench.
Smile

Dan Norse
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:22 - 11 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Did someone just pour half a cup of treacle into an ice cream tub?

I wouldn't spend too long trying to fix the motor if the crank and/or head has given out. Usually quicker/cheaper to replace the whole unit from a crashed one.

Incredible isn't it. Testimony to Honda that it didn't just completely self destruct.
You're right about the motor. Just went through a few parts on Wemoto and very, very quickly you're running up quite a bill.

I think if you were to build an engine from the parts catalogue it would cost more than the bike cost new lol!

The crank is going to be the decider I think... if that is toast, it's sayonara engine...

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 11 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Norse wrote:
Just went through a few parts on Wemoto and very, very quickly you're running up quite a bill.

It can be worth trying David Silver too, I've found they're cheaper on some parts than Wemoto, and more expensive on others. https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 11 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of Wemoto stuff is pattern parts too, so you won't necessarily be getting the quality either of the original components.

An engine out of a crashed bike would be my preference too. Not sure if you have to have the exact bike or if you can fit one from an FI CBF125 though?

Dan Norse
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:09 - 11 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

An engine out of a crashed bike would be my preference too. Not sure if you have to have the exact bike or if you can fit one from an FI CBF125 though?

Seems that complete engines on eBay run from about 680GBP to 800GBP or so. I guess I have a bit of a budget for parts then.

I imagine any of the 2015 to 2020 engines will fit and I guess I'd not want anything older than that anyways. Big remodel in 2021.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:54 - 11 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

It can be worth trying David Silver too, I've found they're cheaper on some parts than Wemoto, and more expensive on others. https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

Exactly this. I just bought a genuine honda service kit for my VFR750 from David Silvers. So air filter, oil filter, plugs, oil filter removal tool, fuel filter, sump plug gasket. £68.40. All boxed, genuine honda parts (even the plugs).

Same parts on wemoto £80.14 but all pattern parts. Probably made int he same factory but getting parts in a honda box seems to inspire confidence you aren't cheaping out on it.

Chain and sprocket kits are another one and you get the good sprockets with the anti-jump rings and rubber dampers.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:57 - 11 Mar 2022    Post subject: Re: Inside the clutch cover... Reply with quote

Dan Norse wrote:
I had hoped that the pump would be at the bottom so at least in theory sitting in what little oily sludge was left in there...

It's fine as long as the pickup is in the oil. if they run dry, they lunch themselves in short order. It looks like they have a steel drive sprocket which is good. A lot of oil pump drives are plastic so even an increase in resistance due to pumping sludge can damage the teeth..

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 12 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Norse wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

Seems that complete engines on eBay run from about 680GBP to 800GBP or so. I guess I have a bit of a budget for parts then.

I imagine any of the 2015 to 2020 engines will fit and I guess I'd not want anything older than that anyways. Big remodel in 2021.

Must be harder to find in NorseLand. here's the kind of pricing I'm used to..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363741671348

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Dan Norse
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:40 - 14 Mar 2022    Post subject: Update: I think I found the problem... Reply with quote

Took the head and cylinder off at the weekend and it seems the bike is running a special fuel saving piston...

What worries me is I can't find the 'bit's. I've flushed out the cases with tons of diesel and swished it all around but still nothing when I strain the flushed diesel into a tub.

The crank bearings feel 100%, no 'grittiness' etc. There is no detectable radial play in the big end and .2mm side play (bang in the middle of the specs range of .1 to .35).

The little end is troubling, I had to heat up the pin to draw it out and there is some damage to the pin. I won't know for sure about the little end until I get a new pin.

If the little end is toast, that's annoying because it doesn't look like you can buy con rods separately, it's a part of the crank assy.

The cylinder is borderline hone-able, but I've decided to grab a .25 oversize piston and re-bore the cylinder, it's less work and cheaper than buying a new cylinder and then you know its good.

It's all exciting stuff and I forgotten just how much I like the smell of oily diesel lol!

Dan Norse
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:44 - 14 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Must be harder to find in NorseLand. here's the kind of pricing I'm used to..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363741671348

Yup, I'd buy one at that price just to have a spare Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:52 - 14 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've melted a few holes in pistons in my time and that's not what it looked like. That looks like it's been smashed in (or out). Is there corresponding damage on the head?

I'd definitely be splitting it and having a good poke around in case whatever it was is still there. I always split engines unless all the bits were 100% accounted for and always found stuff. Those bikes have an oil strainer and centrefugal filter. I bet both are full of shiny sludge.

Dan Norse
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:30 - 14 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I've melted a few holes in pistons in my time and that's not what it looked like. That looks like it's been smashed in (or out). Is there corresponding damage on the head?

I'd definitely be splitting it and having a good poke around in case whatever it was is still there. I always split engines unless all the bits were 100% accounted for and always found stuff. Those bikes have an oil strainer and centrefugal filter. I bet both are full of shiny sludge.

Yeah. I wonder if the heat from the seizing little end was a contributary factor? It sits right underneath the hole (remember this engine was ran out of oil).

The head is perfect, even the valves hold diesel, the strainer and spinner were spotless, that's the worry. I do see fine aluminium 'flakes' but no large pieces.

Seems unlikely on a single that stuff went out the exhaust, although the hole could have started gradually, peeling away layers till it was thin enough to burn through so who knows.

I think I'll take the rest of the engine out and see if I can get a better look inside when it's on the bench.

Trouble is I don't have a flywheel puller or new nut, so I'm stuck till they arrive.

I was hoping to fill it with diesel, stick an airline in there and jiggle it all about and hopefully end up with a little pile of 'gold' at the end...

Dan Norse
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:47 - 15 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

It can be worth trying David Silver too... https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

Thanks for this...

I ordered a few engine bits, gaskets, pistons, rings, pins etc. (I gave wemoto a miss as I want OEM parts inside the engine and they don't do oversize pistons anyhoo...

To put numbers on it (inc shipping)...
David Silver £161 (+1 for Nic there, who was super helpful and fast).
Fowlers £186.
HondaSpareparts £213.

What I learned. HondaSpareParts had the best website, easiest to find parts and numbers. So I used them to find the part numbers to put into David Silvers somewhat clunky system lol!

Fowlers wanted £50 shipping but DavidSilver was just £25 (I'm in Norway right now)... So in the UK, Fowlers have the edge slightly.

All in all, if this produces a good engine, I think I got off lightly (considering I got a £2K 'discount' on the bike.

Of course there is my time, but any time spent up to your elbows in diesel is good time right?

Last edited by Dan Norse on 14:17 - 15 Mar 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 15 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Norse wrote:
Of course there is my time, but any time spent up to your elbows in diesel is good time right?

Do you like jigsaws? Smile At least with a bike you end up with a useful vehicle, you get the girl and ride off into the sunset Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 32 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1