Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Who's signed up for the "Homes for Ukraine" thing?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:54 - 15 Mar 2022    Post subject: Who's signed up for the "Homes for Ukraine" thing? Reply with quote

https://homesforukraine.campaign.gov.uk/

Is anyone on BCF going to be housing a refugee?

BBC says:

"The government has launched its Homes for Ukraine site for those wanting to host a refugee, with 100,000 signing up within the first day.

Housing and Communities Secretary Michael Gove said the UK had a history of "supporting the most vulnerable during their darkest hours".

He said there would be no limit to how many Ukrainians could enter the UK under the visa sponsorship scheme.

Each household housing a refugee will be offered £350 a month, tax-free.

They will not be expected to provide food and living expenses but can choose to offer this."

Pass the popcorn

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:09 - 15 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

over 100k have signed up. No doubt some unsuitable have in that number.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 15 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amused by people 'in the public eye' who have been put on the spot by interviewers asking if they'd be willing to house Ukrainian refugees; of course they all answer 'yes'... Rolling Eyes

Over the last couple of days I've counted:
Michael Gove
Keir Starmer
Benedict Cumberpatch

Any others?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:16 - 15 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Lineker. He has history of putting up refugees though.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 15 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the PR stage so the number is high. Once civil service start defining the process the number will probably collapse e.g background checks, gas certificate, interview, financial history review etc.

It was interesting to see on the Guardian how many of them wanted to take a Syrian, but only a cultured female Syrian. You get to choose your own refugee this time so if you're young, female and good looking you'll have 1000 offers. Ugly single straight male probably not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 15 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I'm amused by people 'in the public eye' who have been put on the spot by interviewers asking if they'd be willing to house Ukrainian refugees; of course they all answer 'yes'... Rolling Eyes

Michael Gove
Keir Starmer
Benedict Cumberpatch

Any others?

Nicola Sturgeon said she would house a whole Syrian family, but never did. Not that it would have been much help since the majority of the Syrians are single men.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 15 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Michael Gove
Keir Starmer
Benedict Cumberpatch

Any others?

Allegedly London Mayor Sadiq Khan told Sky News he wouldn’t be taking in Ukrainian refugees because it would be a security issue and he hadn’t got the space. Not sure if true because the video clip was abbreviated. I wouldn’t put it past him though.

It does seem like a scheme ripe for fraud. I was nearly conned myself -

https://i.postimg.cc/RZgsZzKg/2-E3-CCBD3-87-A5-49-E7-9-AF4-198102-ED93-C0.jpg

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 15 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Michael Gove
Keir Starmer
Benedict Cumberpatch

Any others?

Oh God. Haven't they suffered enough already?

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:08 - 15 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have. If the situation were reversed and my wife and kid needed somewhere safe and warm I'd be relying on strangers too.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:37 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, nothing has been discussed regarding getting them to leave again if you should decide you're out of the
bleeding hearts game for whatever reason. Took me over a year to evict a tenant of three years so I could sell my house
thanks to her 'rights' as a tenant during the scamdemic. I'll not be lining up for this scheme thank you very much, I'd sooner
use my spare room for storage in any case.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that every other country in the Europe has a greater land mass per capita than this crowded island.
The levels of immigration (legal and non-legal) in the past few decades have led to significant strain on the countries infrastructure so there's a ton of other stuff the Government could be spending my money on.

Lets not even bother with why this war is happening.
Biden making the US look weak and emboldening Putin?
Multiple chemical labs run by the US right on Russias border?
Ukraine being a total cesspool of corruption with a puppet Government since 2014?
Far right Ukraine groups active against Russian speaking Ukrainians?
Or is it just Russia man bad?
At this point I have no idea, other than whatever the BBC is telling me is most likely total BS.
Seriously, after all the end of the world when Brexit happens, followed by end of the world if you don't wear a mask and stay in your house with a dash of end of the world climate change, straight into end of the world NUCLEAR WAR!! while the cost of everything is heading for the skies and we're paying more tax.

Fuck off.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You get to choose your own refugee this time so if you're young, female and good looking you'll have 1000 offers. Ugly single straight male probably not.

As fully paid-up leftie virtue-signallers, my better half and I had the discussion last night. We came to the conclusion that we couldn't do it because we have a 17 year old daughter, and we wouldn't want a stranger with a penis living with us. I said that I wouldn't object to totty, but question of bathroom access in the morning scotched that one. We tried, we really did...

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Quote:
You get to choose your own refugee this time so if you're young, female and good looking you'll have 1000 offers. Ugly single straight male probably not.

As fully paid-up leftie virtue-signallers, my better half and I had the discussion last night. We came to the conclusion that we couldn't do it because we have a 17 year old daughter, and we wouldn't want a stranger with a penis living with us. I said that I wouldn't object to totty, but question of bathroom access in the morning scotched that one. We tried, we really did...

Maybe you could take a group Syrian men instead? I'm sure your daughter would be fine* Laughing

* After counselling, several rounds of in-patient mental health therapy and a cocktail of antidepressants

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each household housing a refugee will be offered £350 a month, tax-free.
They will not be expected to provide food and living expenses but can choose to offer this."

Don't get this. Are you meant to welcome them into your house then tell them to beg on the streets? Is the gov offering food if you aren't meant to pay for them out of that £350?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:31 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

the government will be providing assistance (whether food vouchers or money I don't know) to them.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:14 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My folks are keen to take some. Plenty work needs doing in the garden and the back fence needs replacing. Just need to make sure they don't plant up the whole place with cabbages and beets.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
My folks are keen to take some. Plenty work needs doing in the garden and the back fence needs replacing. Just need to make sure they don't plant up the whole place with cabbages and beets.

Watch that the buggers don't go fishing either. They'll eat all they catch much to the chagrin of other anglers and the Authorities...

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think eastern european EU countries should shoulder the burden, after all western Europe jas done enough to rehabilitate those ex communist bloc countries so now they are in a position to actively help others.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
This is the PR stage so the number is high. Once civil service start defining the process the number will probably collapse e.g background checks, gas certificate, interview, financial history review etc.

It was interesting to see on the Guardian how many of them wanted to take a Syrian, but only a cultured female Syrian. You get to choose your own refugee this time so if you're young, female and good looking you'll have 1000 offers. Ugly single straight male probably not.

However, unlike the Syrians they're not likely to be complaining about the cold.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
We came to the conclusion that we couldn't do it because we have a 17 year old daughter, and we wouldn't want a stranger with a penis living with us.

How about a bloke you know vaguely through an online motorcycle discussion group? Shifty

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:21 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Diggs wrote:
We came to the conclusion that we couldn't do it because we have a 17 year old daughter, and we wouldn't want a stranger with a penis living with us.

How about a bloke you know vaguely through an online motorcycle discussion group? Shifty

Oi! Form an orderly queue behind me.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I meant you!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:29 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use boat people hotels before the annual seemingly unstoppable tide of inflatable dinghies gets going?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I meant you!

She is far too good for the likes of you lot Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:28 - 16 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be able to confirm without pics.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2