Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

P&O Sunk?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 18 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
As the positions are still there and will be filled with cheaper people, this doesn't actually meet the definition of 'redundant'.

The trouble is, I suspect P&O have crunched the numbers for redundancy payments AND unfair dismissal and have worked out it's cheaper in the long term....

That's what I thought. The only thing that would really screw them up would be if PnO was nationalised. That wont happen but i would support that action or perhaps if the Dubai owner was to be invited to a meeting at our embassy then shot, carved up and removed in suitcases to be dumped out of a helicopter over the English channel.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:25 - 18 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Saudi diplomacy.....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:01 - 18 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is you can make a position redundant but not a person.

If you make someone redundant then hire someone else to do the same job, that wasn't actually making them redundant and there are consequences.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:05 - 18 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

If you make someone redundant then hire someone else to do the same job, that wasn't actually making them redundant and there are consequences.

Correct. However there are some get outs if relocating....

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 18 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The consequences being taken to a tribunal and forced to pay some compo. I rekon DP World have just done a cost benefit analysis and decided it's cheaper just to sack the workers and throw a few quid at them in compo. Doubtless the swarthy arabian types (in rubber soled shoes) will regard the fact that the UK marketing itself as being progressive is just bulls#it and so banks on the British ruling class having no more genuine interest in its slave worker class than they do. They're probably right.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:12 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seize company assets as a message to others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Essentially nationalise it. This situation where essentially a foreign power has control over an important service shows why some business should be under public ownership.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:28 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost they have failed to take into account is the reputational damage.

P&O is now a dirty brand.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The cost they have failed to take into account is the reputational damage.

P&O is now a dirty brand.

Dirty maybe but if you need to truck goods across the sea an unavoidable one. We're getting played by a bunch of gangsters operating out of a medieval state.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Essentially nationalise it. This situation where essentially a foreign power has control over an important service shows why some business should be under public ownership.

They took huge subsidies then fired the staff. Two can play at that game. Take the assets/nationalise. As for directors etc they can either:
1. Stay in the UK and we seize significant amounts of their assets
2. If they try to flee the country. Seize all remaining assets and bar them from coming back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

They took huge subsidies then fired the staff. Two can play at that game. Take the assets/nationalise. As for directors etc they can either:
1. Stay in the UK and we seize significant amounts of their assets
2. If they try to flee the country. Seize all remaining assets and bar them from coming back.[/quote]

You lightweight Laughing

Im for stoning them
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates#:~:text=Capital%20punishment%20is%20a%20legal,a%20firing%20squad%20or%20stoning.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

See this how the left wing people do it, competitive virtue signalling! Wink

Stoning? That's humane, virtually Tory capitalism I'd say Laughing

Personally I would cover them in hornets and set them on fire then while they are burning I would throw them into a cattle mincer while playing Phil Collins greatest hits in the background and then pour the results into a bucket, then dump it in a volcano. Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:24 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Im-a-Ridah"

See this how the left wing people do it, competitive virtue signalling! Wink

Personally I would cover them in hornets and set them on fire then while they are burning I would throw them into a cattle mincer while playing Phil Collins greatest hits in the background and then pour the results into a bucket, then dump it in a volcano. Laughing[/quote]

That's uncalled for. Nobody should be subjected to Phil Collins.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

That's uncalled for. Nobody should be subjected to Phil Collins.

To be fair, he did say 'greatest hits' so that's a whole lot of silence then.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

It's fair to all. Even I can afford a packet of gravel Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Collins, making Vladamir Pukin [sic] look popular.

Personally I would consider nationalising the following:
- Large businesses for which the government is the only real customer. At minimum places like QinetiQ but potentially also BAE, Thales UK etc mostly defence companies. Despite BAE's vast array of products, many of them highly competitive internationally like it's 70,000t aircraft carrier or ballistic missile armed nuclear submarines, there is only one realistic customer.
- Essential services for which competition cannot realistically exist due to the unreasonable up-front investment required. Train lines, utilities, roads. I would even be willing to consider making bus and rail travel free or near free at certain periods and on certain routes. E.g You can travel from Hull to London and back for free on Saturday or something. The idea would be to bring the country together more and also help create regional hubs.
- Services which are basically just run on subsidies anyway e.g buses.
- Front line medical stuff, mostly because it is immoral to put a charge on life.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

- Large businesses for which the government is the only real customer. At minimum places like QinetiQ but potentially also BAE, Thales UK etc mostly defence companies. Despite BAE's vast array of products, many of them highly competitive internationally like it's 70,000t aircraft carrier or ballistic missile armed nuclear submarines, there is only one realistic customer.
- Essential services for which competition cannot realistically exist due to the unreasonable up-front investment required. Train lines, utilities, roads. I would even be willing to consider making bus and rail travel free or near free at certain periods and on certain routes. E.g You can travel from Hull to London and back for free on Saturday or something. The idea would be to bring the country together more and also help create regional hubs.
- Front line medical stuff, mostly because it is immoral to put a charge on life.

You are Lenin

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

You are Lenin

Lenin in the linen? Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Lenin on a lampost at the corner of the street Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:23 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears the government was aware of P&Os plans prior to the mass redundancies...

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Lenin on a lampost at the corner of the street Laughing

The best place for him to hang out

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:32 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
QinetiQ

QinetiQ (or at least it's predesessor) was publicly owned about 20 years ago when it was privatized.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
QinetiQ

QinetiQ (or at least it's predesessor) was publicly owned about 20 years ago when it was privatized.

DERA. And it shouldn't have been privatised (by Labour).

The funny thing is that the government is now creating "its own DARPA", even though it's got like 3 now? QinetiQ (privatised), DSTL (the other bit of DERA), and ARIA (UK DARPA). There also places like Boeing AMRC, National Composites Centre etc which it could be argued are similarish.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It appears the government was aware of P&Os plans prior to the mass redundancies...

Ffs, of course the blundering bunch of psychos will survive in their jobs.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:34 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rest of the marine industry went foreign from the 70's onwards. We got rid of British ratings for Hong Kong Chinese. Then they went for FlipFlops because they were cheaper yet.

Officers followed and when I left the industry it was a token gesture number of Britswith the majority being Indians and eastern Europeans.

No one gave a flying fuck then when our Merchant Navy was decimated wth ships going foreign flag to circumnavigate labour laws. The ferry industry didn't support any action because 'I'm all right jack' and their people thought themseves safe (which they were at the time).

You reap what you sow. If the ships are not UK registered, they aren't employed under UK law and we have no rules about the nationality of workers on ships trading into the UK (unlike say America who do)

People are only interested because they are ferries coming to the uk. Shell on it's own got rid of ten times that amount of seafarers in 1986 and re employed on way worse contracts or took on Indians. BP and Exxon the same.

Fuck the RMT.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5