Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

P&O Sunk?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:10 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the law that applies is due to the country where the ships are registered, most if not all of the ones plying British lines are cyprus registerd and they have much more restrictive rules than the UK where redundancy is concerned.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If the law that applies is due to the country where the ships are registered, most if not all of the ones plying British lines are cyprus registerd and they have much more restrictive rules than the UK where redundancy is concerned.

If you are specifically talking about redundency terms I don't know their laws. It depends on their laws for seafarers I suppose. Quite a few countries have different laws compared with domestic, that's why they are called 'Flags of Convenience'.

Shell decided to save some face by transferring a lot of their fleet to Isle of Man resgistry (still fly the red ensign). Then employing Brits through a Singapore agency, and absolutly none of the UK employment laws applied for seafarers. They did, I must say make people redundent properly though, they didn't weltch on that, but the terms of re-employment were dire. Another thing was we were kicked out of the pension fund. Doing a Maxwell way before Maxwell thought of it. Laughing

I was going to leave but they offered me a double promotion from 4th to 2nd engineer so I got a payrise of sorts so I stayed.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Fuck the RMT.

So succesive right wing governments have no responsibility?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Fuck the RMT.

It's more that they did absolutly jack sh1t for us when we were kicked out of the UK.

And yes, while Thatcher and co had an input the real reason is globalisation. It's so easy to employ Bangladeshis or whever on 3 toenails a hour wages nowadays. You know shipping companies pay very little to airlines for transport of seamen? So costs are probable cheaper than sending someone on a train in UK.

British shipping companies died in the 70's. The british seafarer has been dying out since then as well. Why would you employ a Captain on a hundred grand a year with a paid leave ratio of 1:1 when you can employ an Indian with the same recognised qualifications on half the money and 1/4 the leave.

It's globalisation more than toryism in my view.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

And what global political and economic philosophy did the Tories embrace in the late seventies and continue to practice today? Its neo liberal conservative policy that is the dominant political movement in the west and its client states for the last fifty years. Its entire purpose is to remove the advances made for the mass of people over the previous century. Then take us back to a situation where a small exceedingly rich minority own and control everything, all managed by a small technical and administrative class for as small a fee as possible and everyone else left to live in absolute poverty.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neo-feudalism?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Neo-feudalism?

It's the Neonatal Clinic too... Rolling Eyes

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The cost they have failed to take into account is the reputational damage.

P&O is now a dirty brand.

Nobody remembers anything these days. The local ethnically-owned corner shop near me was one of the ones that was trying to charge people £15 for 4 bog rolls during the first lock down and it got good exposure and condemnation on social media and cunts still shop there. Rolling Eyes

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
The cost they have failed to take into account is the reputational damage.

P&O is now a dirty brand.

Nobody remembers anything these days. The local ethnically-owned corner shop near me was one of the ones that was trying to charge people £15 for 4 bog rolls during the first lock down and it got good exposure and condemnation on social media and cunts still shop there. Rolling Eyes

Well cunts are as cunts do.

The Hamilton Accies didn't Fuckaboot when choosing which businesses to invest in during the 50s when they exodus-ted their partioned Cuntry.
It's not called a Convenience Store to be inconvenient to shop there. Very Happy

My list of personally boycotted businesses, produce and manufacturers. (And growing)
HP
Irn-Bru
Sky-TV
Aeroflot
The Paki's at Whiflet, near to the Church.
Continental Airlines
Ford Motor Company
Triumph Motor Cycles
BMW Motorcycles
Sun News Group
BBC TV (Still listen to BBC Radio)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Fuck the RMT.

it's an interesting question.
If we had decent employment law, properly enforced, would there still be a need for unions?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

And what global political and economic philosophy did the Tories embrace in the late seventies and continue to practice today? Its neo liberal conservative policy that is the dominant political movement in the west and its client states for the last fifty years. Its entire purpose is to remove the advances made for the mass of people over the previous century. Then take us back to a situation where a small exceedingly rich minority own and control everything, all managed by a small technical and administrative class for as small a fee as possible and everyone else left to live in absolute poverty.

If you say so Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

It's the Neonatal Clinic too... Rolling Eyes

That's as good a characterisation as any other.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

My list of personally boycotted businesses, produce and manufacturers. (And growing)
HP
Irn-Bru
Sky-TV
Aeroflot
The Paki's at Whiflet, near to the Church.
Continental Airlines
Ford Motor Company
Triumph Motor Cycles
BMW Motorcycles
Sun News Group
BBC TV (Still listen to BBC Radio)

There's a thread there.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Employment laws driven by trade unions.
Trade unions came about so even one person had representation against a rich and all-powerful wealthy class. (That existed several levels above the filth of the working class.)

The law making class were the rich and all-powerful too.

A quotient of naivety is represented in any faith in self-regulation of commerce.

We need the Red Flag of communism to lead us.

More sensibly, fit representation by informed and honest individuals backed by an educated and resulute proletariat.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBC Laughing

By Londoners, for Londoners Laughing

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

It is ALL parties.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The Paki's at Whiflet, near to the Church

Didn't know you were a Coatbridge denizen. I started life in Easterhouse then family moved to Coatbridge where I went to high school and grew up. Fucking shithole. Hamilton isn't much better but it's still better.

Whifflet in particular is a fucking dump. Only two real memories of the place - the first was back in high school where despite wearing the uniform of a completely different high school I casually walked around Rosehall Highschool to see the girl I was into at the time - the teachers didn't give any fucks. The second is years later I was driving through and there was a function going on at the big pub (which I think is now a bookies) and they were having a fuck-off massive fight and cunts were throwing glasses at each other, smashing them over each other and having a mental fist fight that spilled into the road.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know you were a Coatbridge denizen. I started life in Easterhouse then family moved to Coatbridge where I went to high school and grew up. Fucking shithole. Hamilton isn't much better but it's still better.

Whifflet in particular is a fucking dump. Only two real memories of the place - the first was back in high school where despite wearing the uniform of a completely different high school I casually walked around Rosehall Highschool to see the girl I was into at the time - the teachers didn't give any fucks. The second is years later I was driving through and there was a function going on at the big pub (which I think is now a bookies) and they were having a fuck-off massive fight and cunts were throwing glasses at each other, smashing them over each other and having a mental fist fight that spilled into the road.

Just had a look on maps quickly. Looks like a fully verified dump. High street stores include: Takeaways, soup kitchen, pub, tower blocks, and the biggest and most impressive job centre plus I have ever seen.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Just had a look on maps quickly. Looks like a fully verified dump. High street stores include: Takeaways, soup kitchen, pub, tower blocks, and the biggest and most impressive job centre plus I have ever seen.

What in Whifflet, Coatbridge (as a whole) or Hamilton? If you're talking about the Jobcentre in Hamilton it only looks big but is actually a small part of the Procurator Fiscals Office which takes up most of the building as it's just along the road from Hamilton Sherriff Court.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:23 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

More sensibly, fit representation by informed and honest individuals backed by an educated and resulute proletariat.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glasses being thrown into the crowd is just an everyday Irish Catholic Wedding/Funeral/Christening do.
Nothing to be alarmed about. Very Happy

(p.s. Ah'm no' fae Coatbrig ya cnut... Mad ) Very Happy

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

What in Whifflet, Coatbridge (as a whole) or Hamilton? If you're talking about the Jobcentre in Hamilton it only looks big but is actually a small part of the Procurator Fiscals Office which takes up most of the building as it's just along the road from Hamilton Sherriff Court.

Whifflet street. It looks like prime 'Aye Oot' territory. It's almost as bad as East London. Almost.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

It is ALL parties.

I know, it's f#ckin sad. Sad But the Tories are absolutely front of house. Its more hypocritical when it was Blair and Brown and looks like Starmer is also part of the plot, Milliband for certain is.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

It is ALL parties.

I know, it's f#ckin sad. Sad But the Tories are absolutely front of house. Its more hypocritical when it was Blair and Brown and looks like Starmer is also part of the plot, Milliband for certain is.

Let's not forget the civil service guidelines which always seem to work against the people, and for the anonymous person who wrote said document.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Let's not forget the civil service guidelines which always seem to work against the people, and for the anonymous person who wrote said document.

A fully pensioned up member of the technical and administrative class no doubt.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
A fully pensioned up member of the technical and administrative class no doubt.

You can choose the ones with the blue ties or the red ties, maybe yellow... or green if you're particularly daring but they all represent the pinnacle of British mediocrity Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5