Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When will we get an EV commuter bike with decent range?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: When will we get an EV commuter bike with decent range? Reply with quote

I'm really getting into the idea of an EV bike for work but there's nothing out there that really floats my boat. What I want is:

80-100 foot pounds of torque
200 miles range or at least 160 miles.
Proper 'big bike' size and shape.

I love my BMW boxer for it's road manners and longevity but it's getting very long in the tooth now and I'm trying to make it hang on until something electric becomes available that is suitable to me.

I want something that will soak up both town riding and motorways/fast road. 90% of my work is in London so up to 30 miles each way but sometimes I have to travel further like 4 months I did in Watford so just over 100 miles round trip, plus I want at least 50% overhead.

I don't want any of the yank offerings like Zero purely and simply because I want all metric fasteners on my bike. Not interested in stoopid performance figures either I'd happily trade top speed for range.

What is there that comes close?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:35 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The theory is that electric motorcycles will just be electric bicycles. The current thing for building electric bikes that are like big motorcycles is just to keep us olds calm while the electric revolution takes over.

That said, Triumph are working on their Electric Speed Triple thing which should have a good range and power:

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/for-the-ride/brand/project-triumph-te-1/phase-3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The theory is that electric motorcycles will just be electric bicycles. The current thing for building electric bikes that are like big motorcycles is just to keep us olds calm while the electric revolution takes over.

Why should that be so? A Tesla is the same proportions as any other car, I want a bike that's the same proportions as any other bike, just electric. I don't see the sense in losing battery capacity in the name of weight saving.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until a new battery chemistry emerges (and after a century of research I wouldn’t hold your breath, I think it’s a spent endeavour) vehicle manufacturers are just fiddling at the edges to claim 2-3% of “industry-leading” performance, and that’s still a choice between range and performance, not both as the blurb likes to imply.

That said, I surprised myself recently by considering a house move slightly further away from work and offsetting it with a second-hand electric shit-box. Taking advantage before EVs are inevitably taxed to the max. I didn’t though. One has one’s standards.
Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could have electric motorbikes with better range but the manufacturers don't seem to want to make them. Maybe it's the R&D costs that dictate they only chase the high end of the market Thinking

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:55 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Why should that be so? A Tesla is the same proportions as any other car, I want a bike that's the same proportions as any other bike, just electric. I don't see the sense in losing battery capacity in the name of weight saving.

A Tesla with decent range weighs 2 tonnes. A car can mask that weight, a bike really can't.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until they have drive in drive out battery exchange stations I'm not considering electric.
Who has the patience to wait 1/2 hour or more to fill the 'tank'?
I do long 600 mile trips and only want to have to stop to pee and have a cuppa tea.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
We could have electric motorbikes with better range but the manufacturers don't seem to want to make them. Maybe it's the R&D costs that dictate they only chase the high end of the market Thinking

I'm sceptical that it can be achieved without making super heavy bikes. The zero sr/s for example is already 230kg with just a 100 mile range.
Zero offer a "power tank" that extends the bikes range and that adds an extra 20kg.
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Power_Tank

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:58 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Until they have drive in drive out battery exchange stations I'm not considering electric.
I do long 600 mile trips and only want to have to stop to pee and have a cuppa tea.

Already in the works for scooter sized bikes. Sadly I think that suppliers will squeeze every drop of blood out of that franchise so that the cost of running them will be barely viable for the user.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:55 - 18 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

I'm sceptical that it can be achieved without making super heavy bikes. The zero sr/s for example is already 230kg with just a 100 mile range.
Zero offer a "power tank" that extends the bikes range and that adds an extra 20kg.
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Power_Tank

Wrong direction: make the bikes lighter!

If your checklist is something like must do 100mph, must have >100 mile range, must look like a traditional motorbike, etc. then you'd be out of luck but go the other way...

Something that does maybe 60mph and has a light, carbon fibre or titanium frame, leaning towards more of a bicycle style of construction would maximise the energy to weight ratio. Okay, so it'll fold like a twig in the event of a prang but no one's mention safety so far in this thread Wink

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:01 - 18 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Okay, so it'll fold like a twig in the event of a prang but no one's mention safety so far in this thread Wink

Kinda implicit in my original 'big bike' requirement.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 18 Mar 2022    Post subject: Re: When will we get an EV commuter bike with decent range? Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
I don't want any of the yank offerings like Zero purely and simply because I want all metric fasteners on my bike. Not interested in stoopid performance figures either I'd happily trade top speed for range.

You don't want a Zero because they are low quality for the price and way way too small for you, they're too small for me and you are taller and they have really bad ergonomics.

Mostly if not all metric fasteners on them.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 18 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
MCN wrote:

Already in the works for scooter sized bikes. Sadly I think that suppliers will squeeze every drop of blood out of that franchise so that the cost of running them will be barely viable for the user.

It's not already "in the works" - been in use in some countries for some time now (mostly Asia).

https://e-vehicleinfo.com/electric-scooter-with-removable-battery/

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 18 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Unfortunately the limiting factor is energy density. You cannot beat the laws of thermodynamics. The pinnacle of Li-ion battery technology caps out around 670 Wh/L (petrol is 8,760 Wh/L).

The battery in the Tesla Model 3 Long Range is comprised of four battery modules which are each 1,850 x 290 x 90 mm in dimensions. Obviously the entire volume of the battery cannot possibly be used for storing energy, but for the purpose of simplicity lets just assume it can. The volume of each module is 48,285,000 mm^3 or 48.285 L. That means in this simplified form the volume of the entire battery is 193.14 L.

As such the maximum possible energy capacity 650 Wh/L x 193.14 L = 125541 Wh (125.541 kWh). As you can see, since the actual battery in reality is only 75 kWh, a significant amount of the volume of the battery does not hold any energy at all.

Now let's look at the engine size of a 650cc motorcycle, we will use mine the Kawasaki ER-6F. It takes up probably half of the whole interior space inside the frame. For simplicity lets assume that because you won't need radiators, etc you can use the entire void in the frame for an electric bike. The bike dimensions are 2,105 x 760 x 1,210 mm, lets say 30% of the volume is usable, it's not in reality - nowhere near it but it's better to over-estimate anyway and give everything the benefit of the doubt.

Bike volume is 193,575,800 mm^3. Now consider that we already worked out the volume of the whole fucking Tesla battery and it's almost the same as the entire volume of a motorcycle and weights 480 kg! Anyway, back to our example, 30% of the volume equate to a maximum possible battery volume of 64.5 L.

Thus the maximum possible battery capacity would be 64.5 L x 670 Wh/L = 43,215 Wh (43 kWh). Now consider the reduction in theoretical capacity of the Tesla battery with the real-world capacity and the bike battery is now around 26 kWh.

We have over-estimated absolutely everything so far and still can only get 26 kWh in the best-of-the-best-of-the-best scenarios. The current fastest electric motorcycle in the world is the LS-218 with a stated range of 100 - 120 miles and that is with the 20 kWh battery option.

There really isn't much more possible range than what is already available. Motorcycles struggle with two critical problems - volumetric capacity and the fucking weight of the batteries.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 18 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottie wrote:
You cannot beat the laws of thermodynamics. The Motorcycles struggle with two critical problems - volumetric capacity and the fucking weight of the batteries.

Surely a role for you in the next Star Trek remake.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 18 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck the planet, use aviation fuel:

How a jetpack design helped create a flying motorbike

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/15AEC/production/_123221888_210831_desertbackgrounds2.jpg

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 18 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Scottie wrote:
You cannot beat the laws of thermodynamics. The Motorcycles struggle with two critical problems - volumetric capacity and the fucking weight of the batteries.

I am happy to cement my place in history as the most foul-mouthed character ever Laughing

"awrite Captin ya fuckin' cunt?"

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 18 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I am happy to cement my place in history as the most foul-mouthed character ever Laughing

I'd pay to see that movie.

"Feck off Jim, ya wee doss cvnt ..."

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:16 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, my very personal crystal ball says never

The range of electric motorcycles can already make sense for most (not all) commuters. But the problems remain cost and charging points.

Most people in a city like London do not have a driveway where to charge every couple of days. With an electric car you can charge overnight in a public charging point every few weeks (depending on mileage, obviously). With an electric motorcycles you'd charge way more frequently, but, since each charge lasts less than a car, you cannot leave it overnight without paying the idle fee many points charge. Do you want to come back from work, park at a charging point, start charging, walk home, then after 3-4 hours go back, disconnect the bike and move it? Too much hassle for me.

The Silence S01 is a 125cc equivalent scooter, with a cool removable battery on a trolley. But I doubt you can do the same for a Zero.

For motorcycles to be used outside the city, the range is simply not there. Will we get there? Well, some revolutionary discovery is always possible, but I doubt it. You can't really squeeze more power in the same space, nor do motorcycles offer plenty of room to add more battery.

Ah, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2zlYpy6QCM

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can put up to a 7kw charging point at home so that isn't a problem. I couldeven put a solar array on my workshop roof but that would only gain me free charges on the weekend or a bit in the summer coz the sun doesn't shine at night.

As for that video, I was hoping that it would contain something useful but it didn't really.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding for leisure is bad for the environment. Personal transport is purely for travel to and from work, drone.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:55 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wifie has a 50 mile round trip for work and it's getting expensive in her Ford Torneo 1.5 litre with the price of fuel.

We looked at electric cars but the initial outlay means donkeys years until she would break even let alone make money so she looked at using our Fazer hack but even that isn't hugly fuel saving although obviously a lot quicker (and less convenient for her).

We have pretty well decided on a cheap sh1t box eco city car just for that use and sell the Jag and I use the Torneo day to day(her idea Evil or Very Mad )

An electric bike with a hundred mile range would be a viable option but I'm seriously not spending Street twin money on a shitty Zero or similar.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:51 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

A Tesla with decent range weighs 2 tonnes. A car can mask that weight, a bike really can't.

This.

If you want more range, it's easy to add more batteries, but it's going to end up heavy and big... and expensive.

For what it's worth, you can get something that meets all the requirements you mention easily if you don't mind DIY - I could easily make ebike up to those requirements, so could transplant the same systems into a full size bike.
Maximum speed around 30mph on the flat, say.
(The torque would of course be at very low rpm compared to motorcycles - the Bafang BBSHD as an example is rated at 160NM/118ft-lb, but that's at peddling speeds.)

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

As a fat, angry Scotsman you would also be entitled to tell the old Star Trek joke in your accent:

Why is Uhuru black?

Because William Shatner...

followed by

Captain's log....

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the right gearing you could easily get north of 40mph with the BBSHD.

I notice there's quite a few "hybrid" push bike frames available (look more like old skool dirt bikes) that you could drop in a modest 3kW rear hub motor and probably squeeze out 50+ miles @ 40~50mph.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2