Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

More bad news for the left

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:
Anti (Current) Tory Alert...

The current Tory lot (that are in government) are the worst of them all but they have their supporters who would cheer them to the rafters.

How can a party that was in a power for the last 12 years persuade its supporters that it is the other party's fault why everything is going downhill is beyond me?

energy crisis? labor's fault
border checks of goods? EU fault
party gate crisis? cake's fault
fuel prices? Woke fault

why are you in power if you can't seem to do anything about anything?

but hey, they got Brexit done, no? they planning to break the oven ready deal they were telling you it was so good that the MP's should scrutanise...............WTH?

Anyways, it is what it is

You could add that the financial crash of 2008 was the result of right wing fiscal policy, but such details get obscured rather conveniently for the right. So its not just the last twelve years of Toryism it's more like the last forty three years. They (neo lib conservatives) have pretty much completed the process of throwing the working class back to pre WW2 levels of poverty and political disempowerment and now with the assistance of the pandemic and "the war" (which we're not actually part of) theyre working on smacking down the middle-class. It's a little trickier because the middle class have advantages such as better education, organisation and the power of ego but with the working class more concerned with whats on the Disney channel the middle class are alone in the fight.

We're all f#@ked.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Abaaba wrote:
How can a party that was in a power for the last 12 years persuade its supporters that it is the other party's fault why everything is going downhill is beyond me.

You could add that the financial crash of 2008 was the result of right wing fiscal policy, but such details get obscured rather conveniently for the right.

Labour were in government 1997-2010.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
New Labour were in government 1997-2010.

FTFY. James Callaghan was arguably the last Labour PM.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
New Labour were in government 1997-2010.

FTFY. James Callaghan was arguably the last Labour PM.

I've lived through proper labour governments, Harold wilson and James Callaghan and all I can say is they were utterly crap. Yes, you got big pay rises but inflation was horrendous and basically they bankrupted the country. I remember blackouts being the normal. British Leyland on strike every 5 minutes. British rail was a joke. The whole country was totally pissed off with them and it was rife for Thatcher and her cohorts to get elected on the promise to decimate the Union movement.

Don't just blame Thatcher for what happened, blame the Labour party for pure incompetance.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I've lived through proper labour governments, Harold wilson and James Callaghan and all I can say is they were utterly crap. Yes, you got big pay rises but inflation was horrendous and basically they bankrupted the country. I remember blackouts being the normal. British Leyland on strike every 5 minutes. British rail was a joke. The whole country was totally pissed off with them and it was rife for Thatcher and her cohorts to get elected on the promise to decimate the Union movement.

Don't just blame Thatcher for what happened, blame the Labour party for pure incompetance.

Callaghan was cracking down on that nonsense and his policies were improving the economic situation but famously he didnt go to the country for an election at the right time and fudged it.
You cant just keep blaming Labour in the seventies and keep ignoring the continued creeping loss of affluence in ordinary workers lives thats been steadily and recently accelerating.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

And where did the Blair/Brown governments get their fiscal policies from? The right or the left? I can remember Osborne remarking on how difficult it was to challenge the Labour government when it was pursuing Tory policies.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

And where did the Blair/Brown governments get their fiscal policies from? The right or the left? I can remember Osborne remarking on how difficult it was to challenge the Labour government when it was pursuing Tory policies.

It must have been the other party’s fault then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Now you're starting to understand politics.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Yup, Britain was known as "the sick man of Europe", and was said to have "the British disease" during those years of Labour government.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Now you're starting to understand politics.

Another word for revisionism? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Yup, Britain was known as "the sick man of Europe", and was said to have "the British disease" during those years of Labour government.

Before my time but I believe it ended in the 'Winter of discontent' in 1979. Apparently even bodies weren't being buried because the grave diggers went on strike.

Having said that, I've nothing against strikes to empower workers. I feel like nobody dare do it these days as mortgage and living costs are too high. Despite the huge cost of living, house prices continue to soar Confused

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
...house prices continue to soar Confused

Or houses remain as valuable as they've always been (slightly more due to contrived scarcity) but the value of fiat currency has gone down?

IIRC my parents bought their house in the '60s for ~£5,000. In today's money that'd be ~£120,000 so the value of the house hasn't really changed.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
bhinso wrote:
...house prices continue to soar Confused

Or houses remain as valuable as they've always been (slightly more due to contrived scarcity) but the value of fiat currency has gone down?

IIRC my parents bought their house in the '60s for ~£5,000. In today's money that'd be ~£120,000 so the value of the house hasn't really changed.

£120,000 is studio flat territory around here.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

My old man says he can't understand why so many young people get worked up about mortgages. He paid off the mortgage around 2000 and says they never had a mortgage at less than 6% and also had the period in the eighties when they shot up to 13%.
I don't think people expected to speculate back the 60s either, what they did expect was that income would grow. Of course they never expected the revenge tactics of the elites and their neo-lib strategy to claw back all the wealth.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how rent compares to the ‘60s. Harder to save a deposit when you’re paying someone else’s mortgage for them. Or was it ever thus?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an argument from Hansard:

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/lords/1960/may/31/london-flat-accommodation

Viscount Monsell wrote:
My Lords, do the Government intend to allow this rise in the cost of London flats to go on? They are now building a block of flats in London where I estimate the cost is going to be between £5,000 and £6,000 a year. How many people can afford to live in them unless they take the late Lord Chesterfield's advice?

£500 per month in 1960 is about £12,000 now. Posh flat in London? Sounds about right Shocked

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bank of England inflation calculator tool
https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
My old man says he can't understand why so many young people get worked up about mortgages. He paid off the mortgage around 2000 and says they never had a mortgage at less than 6% and also had the period in the eighties when they shot up to 13%.
I don't think people expected to speculate back the 60s either, what they did expect was that income would grow. Of course they never expected the revenge tactics of the elites and their neo-lib strategy to claw back all the wealth.

I get the same from my parents. Bang on about double figure interest rates in the 80's which today's youth don't suffer from.

The point is that the prices are proportionally higher, so even 5% is shitloads more than 13% of £30k house price or whatever. They can't increase the rates nowadays much as they'd have to evict half the country.

What matters is the house price / salary ratio. I saw that in the 1930's the average annual wage was £150, and house price £250. Less than double! That's like buying a house for about £50k now!

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

I get the same from my parents. Bang on about double figure interest rates in the 80's which today's youth don't suffer from.

The point is that the prices are proportionally higher, so even 5% is shitloads more than 13% of £30k house price or whatever. They can't increase the rates nowadays much as they'd have to evict half the country.

What matters is the house price / salary ratio. I saw that in the 1930's the average annual wage was £150, and house price £250. Less than double! That's like buying a house for about £50k now!

Your quite right. https://www.finder.com/uk/historical-price-tracker

Still, ive met a few young people tooling around in new cars bought on pcp who are monthly throwing hundreds£ away that could be getting put towards a deposit but will conplain about the house prices. The young do seem to have a lot more financial distractions than people in the past, cars, holidays, technology, subscriptions etc. Dont get me wrong though, something should be done about the housing situation. I dont think giveaway mortgages to people on housing benefit is the way though. Attacking the profiteering of housing developers and making it sure people are paid better in the first place would be my tactic.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nightmare for those who can't rely on their parents for hand-outs.

I think there's a few issues to address.

Firstly (at the risk of being 'far right') controlled immigration. Increased population means increased demand for housing. At the very least something needs to be done about the billionaires buying up swathes of London. Oh right, we've cracked down on the Oligarchs now. Only took a war to do it.

Secondly, no one really needs to live in more than one house. I'd tax extra properties more. I know one bloke at work who owns 17 properties. I don't know why he needs to work to be honest.

Having said that, I doubt much will be done, because high house prices will always be good for the government, because higher stamp duty income.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
It's a nightmare for those who can't rely on their parents for hand-outs.

I think there's a few issues to address.

Firstly (at the risk of being 'far right') controlled immigration. Increased population means increased demand for housing. At the very least something needs to be done about the billionaires buying up swathes of London. Oh right, we've cracked down on the Oligarchs now. Only took a war to do it.

Secondly, no one really needs to live in more than one house. I'd tax extra properties more. I know one bloke at work who owns 17 properties. I don't know why he needs to work to be honest.

Having said that, I doubt much will be done, because high house prices will always be good for the government, because higher stamp duty income.

You could add land value tax and combine with higher more energy efficient building regs, forcing development of property.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:00 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mortgages are woven into the organised criminal infrastructure of banking. It's just another way gov taxes the proletarian masses.

And the poor workers are a shower of cunts because they strike for decent pay.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do lefties think that windfall taxes will ease the money problems people are having lately? You could take away every bit of profit the energy companies have and I wouldn't be any better off. More money into government coffers for them to fritter away on harebrained schemes? Don't bother.
Instead, remove the green energy levy from our bills and reduce or remove VAT from essential food items. THAT will help people in their everyday experience.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Why do lefties think that windfall taxes will ease the money problems people are having lately? You could take away every bit of profit the energy companies have and I wouldn't be any better off. More money into government coffers for them to fritter away on harebrained schemes? Don't bother.
Instead, remove the green energy levy from our bills and reduce or remove VAT from essential food items. THAT will help people in their everyday experience.

Odd that these companies like to promote themselves as part of our society but then when that society needs to rebalance its economy they're not so quick to contribute. It's bit like a family that's hit by a crisis and one of the family wins big on the lottery but just f#cks off on holiday and leaves the rest to eat beans on toast in a cold house.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Odd that these companies like to promote themselves as part of our society but then when that society needs to rebalance its economy they're not so quick to contribute. It's bit like a family that's hit by a crisis and one of the family wins big on the lottery but just f#cks off on holiday and leaves the rest to eat beans on toast in a cold house.

Perhaps, but that doesn't have anything to do with what I said.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4