Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Battery death problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 30 Mar 2022    Post subject: Battery death problems Reply with quote

Really pissed off with battery issues on my 2017 BMW R1200RS. As of the weekend, it's now on its fourth; the most recent one only lasting 18 months. That battery had spent it's life hooked up to an Optimate 4 smart charger so I'd hoped that would have kept it happy during my limited winter riding (which definitely killed one of my previous batteries).

I went away on a trip at the weekend; engine fired up fine as usual on Friday morning, but on Saturday morning, although the dash lit up,out of the blue the bike refused to fire up. A mechanic diagnosed a knackered battery; he said there was no parasitic current drain on the bike, it was charging OK and he was able to jump start it for me. He pointed me at a bike shop an hour away, where I was able to ride buy a replacement and at least salvage my weekend.

Both the mechanic and the shop reckoned that 2 years wasn't unusual for a bike battery. Really??

I brought the old battery home with me and have plugged it in to the Optimate to run its diagnostic tests this week. I have to say that even with the manual I really don't begin to understand the plethora of flashing LEDs that devices produces, but it spent quite a while flashing away and ended up with the familiar pair of green LEDs denoting 'all is well'(!).

So many questions...
Did leaving the Optimate hooked up all winter fry my previous battery?
Has my Optimate now 'cured' my previous battery, so that if I try and get the 2-year warranty honoured I will get laughed at? How can I assess it here first?
How do I stop this happening again? (Wondered previously about buying one of those power packs to carry with me; but last time this happened, at home, I was unable to jump start the bike from a car battery so I'm unconvinced)

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 30 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2013 CRF250 on original battery until it died totally last summer and a 2016 XSR700 which is still on original.
They should last at least 3 years and ought to last at least 5 years provided they aren't let go too low in winter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 30 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What voltage is the optimate putting out? It's usually a good thing to keep it on a float charge when not in use....

Same question for the regulator on the bike, what's the peak voltage it's throwing at the battery?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:09 - 30 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I have a 2013 CRF250 on original battery until it died totally last summer and a 2016 XSR700 which is still on original.
They should last at least 3 years and ought to last at least 5 years provided they aren't let go too low in winter.

Surely the three jabs would have finished it off in short order.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 30 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of battery?
AGM and Li-ion types need a higher charge voltage of say 14.2-14.8V
where yer bog standard Lead Acid will be happy with
13.8-14.2V

You need to know what your bike regulates to and what the
optimate is giving it compared to what the battery needs according
to it's spec sheet.

I pushed the boat out and bought a fancy pants battery for the car which was shite and I replaced it with a cheaper LA type a year later which has been trouble free ever since.

I too have had common LA batteries on bikes that lasted well over the stated 2 year life cycle

I test running voltages and charger voltages from time to time too

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 30 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is spooky, I've just got in from rescuing Mrs K from a flat battery on her 2016 r1200r! It's been on the optimate over winter too.

However, imho, that big twin takes a lot to turn over and if it's the original one (she's had bike 2.5 years) it's done well. Maybe the lack of optimate this week and all day out in car park at 5°c might not have helped and it's time to change.
Have you just used oem batteries?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:56 - 30 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, on modern motorcycles, parasitic draws are not necessarily there all the time.

For example, there's an ongoing problem with some of the Royal Enfield Himalayans killing batteries and at least part of the issue is down to the gear sensor. If they are parked in gear, it allows a parasitic load through that sensor.

Maybe fit a battery isolator switch?

Mind you. I was looking at my mates 1200GS at the weekend and something I commented on was that there wasn't a battery box. The battery was mounted under the seat but can be clearly seen when you look up under the back of the bike. Looked in a perfect position to be spattered with road spray and debris. If the battery gets covered with a film of road salt and is slightly damp, a small current can track across the surface of the battery.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 30 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to my ZX6R, I’ve upgraded and tested and swapped components (reg/rec most recent) and looked for parasitic drain (documented here, found none) but when left attached and unused the battery dies quickly compared to the almost everlasting one on my R1, which still has an alarm. Baffling.

I think my record battery life when the ZX6R was used almost daily was 6 years, and the lesser-used R1 is on that now although it’s hinting that it needs replacing.

I’ve just bought the Kawasaki a new Yuasa lead acid battery of the same type as last time (increased CCA/capacity but the same dimensions as OE) but it’ll be lithium next time. I hesitated this time because,

Arrow I wasn’t sure whether the charging system would cope with lithium. I now think it should because the batteries have built-in controllers.
Arrow I had incendiary visions of an underseat lithium battery blowing my balls off, but I have less use for them these days so perhaps it’s time…?

My Oxford Oximiser died recently so I’ve dug out my old Optimate III which I’d lost faith in for some reason, though it seems to be working now. True, those flashing lights on the Optimate are a bit old hat, ‘Blake’s Seven’ compared to the Oxford’s more informative digital display. I’m surprised they haven’t updated.

Optimates claim to recover dead batteries and I used to find a Halfords car charger would too, but in either case the battery is never as good as it was. You can eke a bit more life out of it but I’d rather take the warning and replace than wait for it to inevitably leave me stranded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:15 - 30 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iffy fan switches are a good place to find an intermittant parasitic draw. They are usually on an unswitched live and are a fairly high load thermal switch. Entirely possible for them to have a temperature dependant current leak.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 30 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

This. I'm sceptical about optimates/trickle chargers. I'd sooner leave the earth off when left for a few weeks and charge up before use.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 30 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
What voltage is the optimate putting out? It's usually a good thing to keep it on a float charge when not in use

Having let it progress to maintenance mode (two green LEDs) and leaving it connected it's sitting at 13.2V across the terminals

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Same question for the regulator on the bike, what's the peak voltage it's throwing at the battery?

14.3V

WD Forte wrote:
What sort of battery?

The recently expired one was AGM; not honestly sure about the new one but I think so? But presumably the bike's throwing enough volts at it anyway?

Kentol750 wrote:
Have you just used oem batteries?

A mixture... battery number 3 (as in, just died) was an Enduroline; the current one is a Yuasa.

stinkwheel wrote:
Unfortunately, on modern motorcycles, parasitic draws are not necessarily there all the time [...]

I've just checked for parasitic drain myself, and measured 29 mA. I dunno, is that bad? There's no alarm or anything else which is supposed to draw current. But anyway, as I've already said, the bike is always on an Optimate anyway, so surely shouldn't actually be a problem? When the bike wouldn't start the other morning, it hadn't been on the Optimate overnight, but surely 29mA over, what, 15 hours wouldn't kill the battery? And the mechanic did say it was knackered rather than just flat.

Wouldn't an isolator switch be bad news on a modern bike packed with electronics, like mine? Doesn't it need a bit of power to retain all the settings and info it holds, etc

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:13 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was 29mA when you measured it. Purely hypothetically, it could have been running the fan of fuel pump or similar half the night.

Out of interest, do you ever switch the charger off/unplug it for a while and leave it connected to the bike? I ask because my charger (not an optimate) ran one of my batteries totally flat when it was left connected but switched off. Shouldn't happen, but it did.

Running a battery totally flat is a good way to kill one. Mine came back but it's on the way out, not holding the same base voltage at rest fully charged (I have a basic voltmeter on the dash).

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick sum.. 29mA is enough to drain half capacity of a 12Ah battery in 8.6 days.
so left a couple of weeks and you're fuked, and so is your gel batt most likely.
My feeling is that old skool lead plus acid that puts holes in your jeans are more recoverable.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

13.2 Volts is about as high as you can expect from a fully charged 12V battery (2.2 volts per cell). The best you can do is to get a battery with the highest amp-hour rating you can that will fit in your bike. Amp-hour rating is a function of battery plate surface area; either bigger plates, or more plates per cell.

Over time, charge and discharge cycles cause bits of plate material to flake off, eventually reducing plate surface area. Old, worn out battery plates resemble swiss cheese, as the plate erosion goes completely through the plate. This reduces the capacity of amp discharge, but does not affect the cell voltage. Therefore, the battery will still measure 13.2V across the terminals, but falls flat upon starter draw. Deep cycle batteries use separator materials that physically support the plates and reduce the flaking; AGM are similar and your best option in applications that use a charging system. All that said, it does not explain why your battery failed prematurely on the Optimate. One theory is that the Optimate is letting the battery voltage drop too low before cycling charge. You might try a different tender.

I personally have had good luck with Yuasa batteries. Going on 4 years with a Yuasa YT 19 BL-BS battery in my 2002 R1150R. The bike gets regular use when I am home, but does go for 2 to 8 month stretches on a battery tender when I am out of country. I use a Shumacher battery tender on it.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the UKGser site, just to listen to the tales of woe. It is constantly full of people who have a bike that starts at the beginning of the ride and then they only get a click when they stop for fuel a little while later. They all go on to mention that the battery has had an Optimate on the go all through winter. Batteries are being renewed a lot over there.

I've noticed a lot of similar posts this last few years on the Africa Twin (current version) forums as well. Maybe it's a problem with modern cleverer bikes, too much going on electronically compared to a few years ago, I'm not convinced that Optimates are that useful either.

If I was forced to own a BMW and wasn't riding it over a whole winter I think I'd be removing the battery all together, plonking it on a shelf and giving it a normal charge the day before I refit it when the flowers poke their head out of the ground.

My batteries last for many many years without any external charging, but that is a slightly older, thicker generation of bike and more likely no lengthy non riding time.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:

I've noticed a lot of similar posts this last few years on the Africa Twin (current version) forums as well. Maybe it's a problem with modern cleverer bikes, too much going on electronically compared to a few years ago, I'm not convinced that Optimates are that useful either.

Anything more recent with basically a computer in charge will be more fussy and just refuse to play if voltage is insufficient.
But the key thing is never let them get discharged as irreversible chemical changes occur.
In winter with something like immobiliser gently drawing power even a week unused and not on trickle might start the cycle of decline.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider adding voltmeter and ammeter displays and see what the bike's like while in use.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
What voltage is the optimate putting out? It's usually a good thing to keep it on a float charge when not in use

Having let it progress to maintenance mode (two green LEDs) and leaving it connected it's sitting at 13.2V across the terminals

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

14.3V

Is that running voltage at idle, or with the revs up? If it's getting closer to 15v with revs, you should look into checking the R/R.

The parasitic drain seems a bit high - might be worth checking it a few more times at random times to see if it's getting any higher. Try pulling the fuse for that circuit when the bike's not in use and see if the problem goes away....

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Re: Battery death problems Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
14.3V
Is that running voltage at idle, or with the revs up? If it's getting closer to 15v with revs, you should look into checking the R/R.

It's a rock solid 14.3 V (on my new battery), regardless of revs.

A100man wrote:
29mA is enough to drain half capacity of a 12Ah battery in 8.6 days.
so left a couple of weeks and you're fuked, and so is your gel batt most likely

That would certainly account for the demise of battery #2 about 3 years ago (it was flat after about 3-4 weeks of no use) - that was actually when I bought the Optimate, to try and ressurrect it, which it didn't really manage to do; hence battery #3, the one that expired at the weekend but which 'lived' on the Optimate its whole (short) life.

Still struggling to understand why battery #3 died so quickly - it's never been allowed to go flat.

stinkwheel wrote:
It was 29mA when you measured it. Purely hypothetically, it could have been running the fan of fuel pump or similar half the night.

Understood, but the mechanic who came out to me did say the battery was knackered rather than just flat, which would be the obviouus result of a temporary high overnight drain?

stinkwheel wrote:
Out of interest, do you ever switch the charger off/unplug it for a while and leave it connected to the bike? I ask because my charger (not an optimate) ran one of my batteries totally flat when it was left connected but switched off.

No, never, for the (theoretical?!) worry that it might do just what you describe

I do need to investigate this current drain, and I will, but I just really don't think it's the cause of me ending up stranded with a dead battery as has happened three times now on this bike.

Anyone got any thoughts on these?
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Has my Optimate now 'cured' my previous battery, so that if I try and get the 2-year warranty honoured I will get laughed at? How can I assess it here first?
How do I stop this happening again? (Wondered previously about buying one of those power packs to carry with me; but last time this happened, at home, I was unable to jump start the bike from a car battery so I'm unconvinced)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:04 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, try disconnecting the alternator (if you can easily reach the plug) and see if the parasitic draw disappears/drops.

I'm not certain but I think the GS might run a field coil alternator and I'm wondering if the regulator might be leaving the field coils slightly energised. Similar systems used to run through a charging relay and a fault on the relay could cause all sorts of issues. I'd imagine a modern BMW would have replaced a charging relay with some sort of semi-conductor which could easily have partial failure states.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'm not certain but I think the GS might run a field coil alternator ...

You would think so, since the BMW boxers from 1994 - 2013 (oil heads, hex-heads, and cam-heads) all used an automotive type alternator. When they went to liquid cooled motors, they scrapped that successful design. Google BMW R1200RS LC Alternator, and you'll find it located in the transmission housing; it is a major undertaking to access it involving separation of the engine and transmission. Apparently, the OP is not the first to experience these issues.

Judging from the number of posts referring to stators and regulator-rectifiers, it appears this charging system does not run a field coil.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 03 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a Ctek.

End of drama.

2 years for a battery is shite.

3-4 reasonable but I'd honestly expect a good, unstressed lead acid battery to slide in for 5 years before replacing.
Usual indicator is that it maybe onky has enough energy to turn the engine over 2 or three times before its exhausted.

Trickle charge is better than letting a battery drain down and then boost up again.
Coz if one forgets to charge it. Shocked Embarassed

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:56 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a post a long long time ago where Oldtimer iirc said batteries that are left attached to an optimate or the equivalent on a permanent basis can become used to being on the charger and although they are charged they will drop their charge immediately when removed from the charger which seems to be what has happened here.

I think if it was my bike not being used for several months I would put the charger on a timer so it was only on for 1 hour a day or maybe for 6 hours one day a week so the battery can discharge a bit between charges.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:17 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't leave mine on charge all the time over winter. It gets fully charged and then disconnected and then left, it can easily sit for a month + at a time and still be ok to start. Regardless, i'll still stick it on charge once a month but only for as long as it takes to fully charged again. Plus i'll go for the odd ride here and there to keep things moving.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1