Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mid life crisis

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Paul0706
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:05 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Mid life crisis Reply with quote

Hi all,

Been thinking about this for a while and still not sure if its the right thing to do. I used to ride in my early 20's, nothing special just a CB125 as only had a CBT. Never really wanted to get anything bigger as I wanted a car but at the time a bike was much cheaper option. I'm now in my 40's and really fancy getting back in to bikes. Always been a fan of Harley soft tails. So my question is - Is this a mid life moment of madness and forget about the dream or shall I just go for it. Get my licences and get that Fat boy and piss the wife off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be the best first bike choice to get back in the swing of it, plus a lot more than you need spend in case you don't like it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

blamski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have stupidly waited until my early 50s to get round to getting the bike licence i wanted when i was 16. so just do it.

Paul0706
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:20 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I do go for it I was tempted with going for a Honda CB650r to start off with. Stick with that for a year before moving up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paul0706
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:22 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blamski wrote:
i have stupidly waited until my early 50s to get round to getting the bike licence i wanted when i was 16. so just do it.

one of my best mates is in a Harley Davidson Chapter and keeps telling to go for it but I he just wants me out on the club meets

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it. I appear to have been totally ignorant of a motorcycle golden era in my youth and only got into motorcycles in my late 30’s but it’s one of the best things I’ve done. The whole ”mid-life crisis” thing seems bent on the idea that you have to do all you’re ever going to do by 30 and then you’ve got 50 years of buying new kitchens, living your life vicariously and waiting for the end. It’s ridiculous. Do it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:44 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go for it. As for the Harley? if you have the disposable income and that's what you want, go for that as well. Even if you find you don't like it, short of dropping it you aren't going to lose much money anyway, they hold their prices well.

I'm not a member of the 'smaller bike first' club. Get your direct access and get what you want. Nothing worse than a 125 in my view. (except maybe a Lambretta).

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Mid life crisis Reply with quote

Paul0706 wrote:
Hi all,

Been thinking about this for a while and still not sure if its the right thing to do. I used to ride in my early 20's, nothing special just a CB125 as only had a CBT. Never really wanted to get anything bigger as I wanted a car but at the time a bike was much cheaper option. I'm now in my 40's and really fancy getting back in to bikes. Always been a fan of Harley soft tails. So my question is - Is this a mid life moment of madness and forget about the dream or shall I just go for it. Get my licences and get that Fat boy and piss the wife off.

Nothing to think about. Just do it. You only live once mate and you never know when it's going to end.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:08 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your CBT and see what you think. If you are Ok with it decide between DAS and toddling on a 125. I did DAS and as a result would recommend that, as the difference is night and day. I also did what you are hinting at, 18 months on a 650 before going the full maniac.

I’m 50s, not 40s, my only advice would be don’t waste another 10 years not riding.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul0706 wrote:

one of my best mates is in a Harley Davidson Chapter and keeps telling to go for it but I he just wants me out on the club meets

Oh dear - does he have a bandana too? Get a bike but go you're own way. the wife will be pissed off whatever you do. Thumbs Up

PS 'Chapter' was the term applied to bonefide Hells Angels gangs which were some horrible nasty bastards back in the day.
If there's any left living they won't take kindly to that misappropriation.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Chapter"

https://sixpackmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/disgusted-gif.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just forget about what bike or image you want, and focus on getting a full licence, first. Then decide.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a metric cruiser like an old Yamaha Bolt and turn up with that Wink

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Just forget about what bike or image you want, and focus on getting a full licence, first. Then decide.

This. You have no idea what style of bike/riding you'll really enjoy yet, and half the fun is finding out as you go along. Once you pass your test, the best advice is to buy something cheap and reliable (instead of a shiny dream bike), because almost everyone drops their first bike (and you'll cry less if it's cheap to fix and already shabby). Ride it for a year and you'll have a much better idea what you want from your next bike.

Almost no-one listens to this advice though, and if you have splash the cash on a shiny first bike, a CB650r wouldn't be a terrible choice. Although after riding that for a year a Harley might well feel like a downgrade.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireblade is what you need.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:37 - 03 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only did my CBT late 30s, and thats cos the wife pestered me to do it, id never been into bikes, once out on the road on my CBT the penny dropped as to why people ride bikes, after that did my big bike lessons/tests etc

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:50 - 03 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the same position last summer - My advice is, do DAS (Direct Access Scheme) and by the time you have got your A licence you will have 2 options

A - you will love it and then the sky is the limit on what bike you can ride since you have got your A licence.

B - You don't like it but at least you have had fun, gained experience and licence so you won't feel like you wasted £700 - £1000, at least that was my thinking, needless to say, I went for option A and kicking myself why I didn't do it sooner

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:58 - 03 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

just do it - dont live a life of regrets

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:43 - 03 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Harley Davidson [Assless Chaps] Chapters seem to be more British Dental Association than Hells Angels.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/gb/en/content/hog/local-chapters.html

Get your license and a CB650R. Mr. Green

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 04 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The Harley Davidson [Assless Chaps] Chapters seem to be more British Dental Association than Hells Angels.

I can't be the only one that finds that kind of thing really cringe? Going around trying to look like 1%ers Sick

For the record I actually like Harleys and cruisers they look classic and there's a nice aesthetic to the bikes (even if they're trying to rattle themselves to death) Laughing I am probably going to own one before the death of petrol bikes happens.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 04 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

From the Haawg site 'chapter' guide ..

'There’s no dress code. But patches on your leathers help tell your personal story and let you brag about your accomplishments. Keep your memories wherever you wish.'
Sick

I then checked and my nearest is in Uppingham of all places - that well known denizen of vice, outlaws, and anti-social behaviour - and incidentally the registered offices of the British Dental Association*!

* might have made that last bit up.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 04 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given it's more a lifestyle choice than anything about motorbikes, eagerly awaiting "Harley Davidson Day" being added to the LGB&Q+ calendar Smile

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 04 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
...'There’s no dress code. But patches on your leathers help tell your personal story and let you brag about your accomplishments. Keep your memories wherever you wish.' Sick

I then checked and my nearest is in Uppingham of all places - that well known denizen of vice, outlaws, and anti-social behaviour - and incidentally the registered offices of the British Dental Association*!

You should join! I bet you would fit right in Very Happy
You still have all your teeth, right? Most of your teeth?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 05 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Ste wrote:

I can't be the only one that finds that kind of thing really cringe? Going around trying to look like 1%ers Sick

For the record I actually like Harleys and cruisers they look classic and there's a nice aesthetic to the bikes (even if they're trying to rattle themselves to death) Laughing I am probably going to own one before the death of petrol bikes happens.

Nowt wrong with cruisers mate, had a shadow 1200 and hated it. No power, large, feet things forward, too much Chrome. I would have a Triumph Rocket for a shot or maybe the Diavel. A cruiser is a nice addition to the garage as long as you have other bikes.

Where about in fat angry Scotland are you mate?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:43 - 05 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Don't get me started on that

I live in a reasonably sized town in Derbyshire, and i think by the last count i did, we have 10 different MCC's round here (and one MC)

You can't go to a single meet without bumping into at least 5 of them

They do make me laugh though, especially when they try too hard to look like Jax Teller Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 14 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2