Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Booking.com host cancellation

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Booking.com host cancellation Reply with quote

So I’ve been contacted by the host of a property I’m supposed to be staying at with friends as part of a tour. It’s in a very rural area with little other accommodation and has been booked since last year. I’ve now had an email saying the host wants me to cancel. Anyone had this before? Can they even do this? Finding alternate accommodation at short notice will be costly and problematic, probably involving changing the tour route too.

Cheers

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be any number of reasons why they need to cancel it ranging from 'it burned down' to 'we can probably let it for twice as much this year'.
More likely somewhere in between like staffing issues or maybe their own family/health.
It doesn't sound like a hotel chain you might reasonably pressure to offer alternatives, provided they refund any deposit they have at least given reasonable warning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:16 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask if they know anywhere of any alternative accommodation.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:43 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience, the host can cancel the booking themselves. Had a hotel do it to me in Keswick 2 hours before I was due to check-in. Lucky I hadn't set off or I'd never have known.

So seems odd that they want you to cancel it when they could do it themselves.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
'we can probably let it for twice as much this year'.

Prolly this - did you get a bargain due to Covid etc.?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:35 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would cost the host to cancel the booking.

https://partner.booking.com/en-gb/community/tips-tricks-more/canceling-overbooked-reservation-host

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:38 - 01 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

That seems fair. Discourages bad behaviour such as cancelling a long established booking and fucking up someones holiday plans as above. Like I'm 90% certain in my case they punted the room on to someone else for a lot more than I paid for it.

If hosts can cancel at a whim with no penalty, it's not so much a booking as an auction.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 02 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. The host has now claimed they had a “bad relationship” with booking.com and instead are now booking only through AirBnB. So I checked it out, musing a direct swap; 50% uplift! They can swivel that one. Didn’t bother hounding it as it’s unlikely to end well either way, so found alternative accommodation instead and cancelled the old one. Not quite as convenient a location, a bit further but nicer spot.

Does make me now wonder about online bookings; I am fortunate (and surprised!) I was able to find an alternative, but if I hadn’t been able to it would have totally screwed up our holiday.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1