Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I'm riding from Australia to England

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 01 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
Updates of stuff and things...

The bike is ready to go more or less. All maintenance is done, that's every fluid, including the shaft maintenance.

Like most things, once you start taking stuff off, it's when the demons decide to show their faces...

In this case, the front shaft boot was split, and both swingarm bearings were a bit rubbish.

https://i.ibb.co/2j5bRHf/301894659-438958008026653-143226371579372040-n.jpg

The driveshaft had a bit of play in it, so those bearings were seen to.

Onto tyres!

https://i.ibb.co/wBfTVkT/301368314-1441814199631304-5307573066486075649-n.jpg

These are dunlop trailmax missions... The most impossible tyre to get in Australia. I had one shop give me the run around for 3 months saying "they'll be in next week" every time I called.

In the end, I had to drive 200km to another dealership who had the rear in stock, then get the front from the aforementioned crap shop. I got my revenge by getting free fitting by sneaking my tyre onto the pile. (they wanted to charge $45 per tyre).

Anyway. Last thing on the list was the clutch. And I've decided to not bother doing this...
I took off the starter motor to get a look at what was going on in there, and managed to measure the thickness of the plate.

I got it at just over 5.5mm (accurate measurements not really possible), so let's say it's between 5.6 and 5.7mm.

The wear limit is like 4.5mm, and it's 6mm when new. Not bad for a bike on its original clutch with 104,000km on it. To be fair, a lot of this wear is probably from me doing wheelies when I first got it.

Anyway. Off to visit the embassies of obscure countries soon, then visas, CDP and transportation.

A100man wrote:
mattsprattuk wrote:

To be fair, a lot of this wear is probably from me doing wheelies when I first got it.

Anyway. Off to visit the embassies of obscure countries soon, then visas, CDP and transportation.

..better check those headstock bearings then Wink

now you mention it. I forgot to mention this

https://i.ibb.co/svPSJq6/Screenshot-2022-09-01-192736.png

That's the last piece of the puzzle. Apparently arriving on the 9th, which is good, because I took the bike out to the Watagans (google it) and the shock decided to become a pogo stick after losing all its oil. After the floods, that place is pretty brutal, but nothing worse than what I expect to encounter, so I'm glad the OEM shock shit it here rather than later.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:27 - 05 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious, are you doing videos on the bike prep for YouTube? Really liked watching your channel build.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 06 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Curious, are you doing videos on the bike prep for YouTube? Really liked watching your channel build.

Thanks, I wasn't planning on focusing too much on footage of working on the bike, but the next one will cover fitting the suspension mostly so I can show it was fitted correctly if I need to claim or whatnot.

The bike will get an overview too, but not that much detail.

Still got lots to do. Talking to embassies over the phone or via email is hopeless, so I'll be heading down there and knocking on doors and combining it with a test of all the stuff I've gathered.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 01 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/pYdQv4n_thw

For your consideration

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 01 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific watch. Loved the humour and editing style. Looking forward to the trip.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:07 - 02 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

liked, subscribed and even clicked the bell end, which Ive never done for a youtuber before Razz looks fantastic, love the style, good luck and cant wait for more episodes!

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
liked, subscribed and even clicked the bell end, which Ive never done for a youtuber before Razz looks fantastic, love the style, good luck and cant wait for more episodes!

Careful, that sort of behaviour will expose you to the other bullshit I upload on a regular basis.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:02 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been any movement on this? I'm currently just following the V10 Patrol stuff and haven't seen any motorcycle related vids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I leave in 3 weeks but I've been churning out a backlog of videos about the v10 build to cover the time I'm not uploading (you fall off the face of the earth with YouTube if you don't have an upload schedule).

Sorted out all my Carnets and transportation
Struggling with about 4 visas that need all kinds of clowning to get
And the main one is going from Egypt to Turkey. Might have to just see what happens when the time comes.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:16 - 23 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late to the party (been on a BCF hiatus for some time, much to the rejoicing of certain individuals within the BCF community... well everyone within the BCF community for that matter!) but am now subscribed and will follow!

Mainly because it's been a dream of mine since LWR.

Would be nice to see if it can actually be done without the Hollywood budget.

Shame you're going air/sea to Cape Town. You won't get to experience the Rod of Bonns.

I'm well jell!

So jelly, in fact, they may have to cart me off to jelly school!!!

My son and I are in the initial stages of planning a charity ride to hopefully take place some time in the next year or two max (he ideally needs to get past A2 and onto a 'proper' bike, after he's 21 this September).

9 countries there and back in 7 days:
United Kingdom
Netherlands
Belgium
France
Andorra
Spain
Gibraltar
Morocco
Portugal

The idea is we get donations/sponsors for the charity of our choice and fund the trip entirely ourselves. If it's a success maybe make it an annual event. Maybe expand number of riders. Maybe increase the route length and number of countries visited.

I imagine I'll probably still have the Multistrada by then. My son is talking about selling his CBR500R for an FZ1 Fazer or a Tiger 1050 (two very different bikes, I know, but that's 20 year olds for you!). Having said that I recently went from an MT-10 SP to a Multistrada V4 Pikes Peak, so what can I say Embarassed Thinking

I knocked this quick video up a few months ago to send to my son. Never intended to put it on YouTube, but in case anyone is interested:

https://youtu.be/UVSdFeF8_jw

Clearly it's nowhere near on the scale to what you're planning. But I figure start small and see where it leads. Maybe each year gets bigger and better. I also wanted to start with countries where visas and passage aren't necessarily going to be an issue. Short ride through Morocco! Africa and the middle east scare me! Oddly I picture myself being at ease riding through south east Asia and the far east.

Anyway, please keep us posted, by BCF or YouTube (preferably both!), suffice to say we're all fascinated and will be watching/reading with baited breath!

Irezumi wrote:
Prob best to avoid Ukraine for the moment, don't think you can get visa's for Russia as it stands either. Lot's of people altering continental tours (cycling mostly).

Ain't that the truth!!!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:52 - 23 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
Yeah, I leave in 3 weeks but I've been churning out a backlog of videos about the v10 build to cover the time I'm not uploading (you fall off the face of the earth with YouTube if you don't have an upload schedule).

Sorted out all my Carnets and transportation
Struggling with about 4 visas that need all kinds of clowning to get
And the main one is going from Egypt to Turkey. Might have to just see what happens when the time comes.

Cool stuff man, can I assume the V10 is complete and it's just drip fed Mr. Green

Looking forward to the trip and videos man, good luck.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:21 - 23 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish it was complete... I've finished the chassis and got the engine permanently mounted, but loads to do. This is how I left it this afternoon.

https://i.ibb.co/7SxDd53/336356109-1253267165272100-2632781977761402798-n.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/WkwHYd6/336385940-9130066300368339-6881908183284232110-n.jpg

I'll pretty much get it all ready to just plop the body on and be semi- done. Body rotisserie paint job etc.

Anyway... bikes!

DUCAUDI wrote:

stuff & things

It's not as expensive as you'd think.

Costs so far:

Shipping from AU to SA = $3,800
Carnet de passage = $1,500
Fuel (500km/tank, about 30,000km... 60 tanks of fuel.
Food - Who knows. $10/day for 3 months? $900
Visas (about 6 needed ~$200 each) - $1200

Weirdly, it's only $2,500 fixed rate to get it back (UK to AU).

So that's about eleventy seven hundred dollars. All up call it 6500 of your pounds for the whole thing.

But yeah, I'm thinking this will be trip 1 of 3 like this. I'll do the east through Russia to USA one day, then the last trip will be something like Australia to UK through Asia.

After that, I can die happily.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:47 - 24 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, best of luck with the trip. i will definitely follow your journey.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 27 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

Please remember to keep us posted in here as well as YouTube!

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:39 - 14 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left yesterday.

https://i.ibb.co/0D5NrLH/20230413-114619.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/6wkMLMs/Screenshot-20230414-133203-Maps.jpg

Pretty uneventful other than a massive downfall, but I dried out on the ride today.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 14 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

God's speed..

.. with you in spirit!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:14 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should hit the Nullarbor tomorrow, and hopefully the WA border.

https://i.ibb.co/X55hRTY/IMG-20230418-143314.jpg

Stayed at a subscribers place last night. Ate a sheep. Then they told me about this little gem of a campsite. Perlubie beach. The only downside was it's 750km away, so that was a pretty long ride in 1 day.

https://i.ibb.co/5vhDnhY/IMG-20230418-165814.jpg

That's all. Dying now

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:42 - 18 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your breakfast video said you may be on the bike, and here you are.

Good luck boss Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:22 - 26 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week of silence, either you've been beaten by a kangaroo or an update is coming Question

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 26 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died of boredom crossing the Nullarbor more like. WA really sucks. 1200km of nothingness to get to the nearest town.

The bike is currently at the shop in Perth getting crated up for shipping so I guess I arrive in cape town when it does, but for now I flew back to NSW

Lost 2 phones
Found a house full of bees
850km in a day just to get the nothingness over with
That's about it

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:10 - 26 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair!

What's the shipping time like, presumably you then fly to Cape?

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea to be honest. It's a bit more relaxed than I'd like. I basically left my bike and all my gear at a BMW dealership in Perth without signing any paperwork or recieving inventory proof.

I'm just waiting for the email from the shipping agent who arranged it all to get back to me to say when it's going to arrive.

Next episode:
My bike was stolen by a shipping agent. omg drama

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope everything is going ok for you.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:18 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
I have no idea to be honest. It's a bit more relaxed than I'd like. I basically left my bike and all my gear at a BMW dealership in Perth without signing any paperwork or recieving inventory proof.

I'm just waiting for the email from the shipping agent who arranged it all to get back to me to say when it's going to arrive.

Next episode:

You can ship stuff several ways.
Pay a lot of lolly and ship Direct on 1st available boat. At the mercy of mother nature.
Ship on scheduled sailings. At the mercy of schedules.
Ship as consolidated freight. At the mercy of how fast the shipping container you shipment is in can be shipped with all the rest of the shipments.
Not many other ways apart from buying your own ship and crewing the hoowur.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 28 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
mattsprattuk wrote:

Next episode:

You can ship stuff several ways.
Pay a lot of lolly and ship Direct on 1st available boat. At the mercy of mother nature.
Ship on scheduled sailings. At the mercy of schedules.
Ship as consolidated freight. At the mercy of how fast the shipping container you shipment is in can be shipped with all the rest of the shipments.
Not many other ways apart from buying your own ship and crewing the hoowur.

Yup, but you also need to use an agent in most cases as the companies will only sell you a whole container.
You also end up with all kinds of nonsense charges and taxes. This way I've bundled all the costs into one, no messing around at either end (hopefully).

The cost doesn't bother me. I'm not a poverty stricken apprentice anymore, so what's a few K here and there?

Anyway, bike supposedly arrives on the 1st, and I arrive on the 4th, so I'll prepare to eat my words when everything goes horribly wrong.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4