Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ferry Knife Rules

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:50 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Ferry Knife Rules Reply with quote

What do you guys do regarding your knives when going on the ferry?

I'm likely to be doing some camping in France/Spain and like to carry a decent knife or 2. Rules suggest these are prohibited, is that correct?

Also how far does the rule go? tiny blade in a multi-tool for instance... or screwdrivers even?

Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Re: Ferry Knife Rules Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
What do you guys do regarding your knives when going on the ferry?

I mean, I'm not someone who ever carries a full-on knife, certainly not on the bike, and have never even been aware of this rule. But ferries are full of people going camping with caravans and trailers jam packed with all the stuff they use at home, including all their kitchen knives etc, and nobody would bat an eyelid at them. It's certainly a whole different ball game to boarding an aeroplane, if that's what you're thinking.

I would suggest that if you have a knife packed within your camping gear, which gets left with the bike on the vehicle deck (as opposed to wearing a 9" Bowie knife in the bar, strapped to your belt) you're unlikely to rattle any cages.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:57 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly that, leave it on the bike. I always take a swiss army knife in my camping gear and I've never even thought about it being a potential problem.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

or just buy a knife thats cheap enough that you wont mind too much if it gets confiscated.
some of the Chinese stuff is excellent quality for not much money these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
like to carry a decent knife or 2

https://scontent-man2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/120087110_3556258987793865_2930975769677102978_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=lPpuCZ-yiZ0Ab5orKJB&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AfD874snPOv9hKSkaQ-kZ1O9w5MkzohPzmDv9cnnZpzwXw&oe=663FD07D Hand

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 06:48 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Exactly that, leave it on the bike. I always take a swiss army knife in my camping gear and I've never even thought about it being a potential problem.

I can limit myself to one of those I guess. Just to avoid any issues. At least its got a corkscrew!

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 06:51 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Re: Ferry Knife Rules Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

I mean, I'm not someone who ever carries a full-on knife, certainly not on the bike, and have never even been aware of this rule. But ferries are full of people going camping with caravans and trailers jam packed with all the stuff they use at home, including all their kitchen knives etc, and nobody would bat an eyelid at them. It's certainly a whole different ball game to boarding an aeroplane, if that's what you're thinking.

I would suggest that if you have a knife packed within your camping gear, which gets left with the bike on the vehicle deck (as opposed to wearing a 9" Bowie knife in the bar, strapped to your belt) you're unlikely to rattle any cages.

If they're in a locked vehicle its ok. Motorcycles dont count though. Not even in the locked topbox I guess.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 07:34 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on many ferries and the closest anyone has ever come to taking the slightest bit of interest in what I had with me -either on the bike or on my person- was in Belfast where they pulled me into the customs shed and said "Do you have any guns or bombs or anyting youre not supposed to have?"... A simple "Errr. No." seemed to satisfy his brief curiosity.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy an Opinel when you get to France - they're the tits.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I've been on many ferries and the closest anyone has ever come to taking the slightest bit of interest in what I had with me -either on the bike or on my person- was in Belfast where they pulled me into the customs shed and said "Do you have any guns or bombs or anyting youre not supposed to have?"... A simple "Errr. No." seemed to satisfy his brief curiosity.

Actually, in the last couple of years I've been pulled at least twice, along with all the other bikes (not travelling with me) who were passing through at the same time; once in Hull and once in Plymouth or Portsmouth, quite some time later. Cars were ignored, but we were all taken to one side for a cursory luggage search (and I think there may have electronic sniffer things?). No idea what that was all about. They weren't interested at all on two Eurotunnel trips.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:29 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Buy an Opinel when you get to France - they're the tits.

The French are very proud of opinel knives. If it was a French customs inspector, they would almost certainly congratulate you on your excellent taste in pocket knife rather than take it off you.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:12 - 13 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stinkwheel"][quote="A100man"]Buy an Opinel when you get to France - they're the tits.[/quote]

The French are very proud of opinel knives. If it was a French customs inspector, they would almost certainly congratulate you on your excellent taste in pocket knife rather than take it off you.[/quote]

I've got a bunch of different knives/tools (billhooks and allsorts) but for every day general doings I'm a fan of the Opinel 10 Carbone but they do make a 12 as well. I've never seen one in the real world but I always wondered if it was a decent thing or not. The 10 is easy to carry and sharpen. A pretty good all round camp knife. I've got enough other proper blades for big work but I wonder how sturdy/useful an Opinel 12 would be.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 15 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

You is a yoof from London bro.
And I claim my £5
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1