Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I've seen the end of the pub.......

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 05 Apr 2022    Post subject: I've seen the end of the pub....... Reply with quote

I went out with my youngest for a drink. £40 later and its all ratshit

Pubs are dead except for food.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:09 - 05 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nine or ten pints Razz

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 05 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ducked into the Wellington in Waterloo for a wee this evening, it seemed very lively in a commuter-having-two-pints kind of way.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 05 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anecdotal evidence from some of my clients is the pub trade is back to around 80% of what it was pre-covid. The more foody pubs have pretty much returned to normal.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember paying £5 a pint in Glasgow city centre in 2009. Pubs were shite then and I dare say shite now. Bah humbug.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:16 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
I remember paying £5 a pint in Glasgow city centre in 2009. Pubs were shite then and I dare say shite now. Bah humbug.

/\ This.

They tried to blame the smoking ban on pub popularity dipping.
Then they tried to blame the supermarkets.
Now they're trying to blame The Rona.

What ever next?

The fact that it appears that modern societies don't need pubs?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:38 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went up to Sushi Samba in Heron Tower on the Saturday with the nice weather we had a couple of weekends ago.

Had to go to the bar as table service wasn't happening for whatever reason. They charged me service charge of 12.5% to hand me two 330ml bottles of Asahi from the fridge behind them and let me tap my card on the reader.

This ordinarily I wouldn't have gone too batshit about....but.

The service charge was near two quid because the bottles of beer were nearly 8 quid each Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oop' Norf we've got new pubs opening almost monthly, i think at last count there were 4 new pubs opened up in Chesvegas (and surrounding areas) since the beginning of the year, with a nother couple planned for the coiming weeks

They are doing a roaring trade up here, and as a self confessed "craft beer wanker", i can't get enough of them Very Happy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

I went up to Sushi Samba in Heron Tower on the Saturday with the nice weather we had a couple of weekends ago.

Had to go to the bar as table service wasn't happening for whatever reason. They charged me service charge of 12.5% to hand me two 330ml bottles of Asahi from the fridge behind them and let me tap my card on the reader.

This ordinarily I wouldn't have gone too batshit about....but.

The service charge was near two quid because the bottles of beer were nearly 8 quid each Shocked

You dont need to kick off. Just pay them for the beers and tell them to get a court to order you to pay service charge.

Its a scam and real business should build service into their prices.

Unless serving a bottle of beer from the fridge in their bar is justified as special service over and above serving beer in their bar.

When are yous going back? Laughing

https://www.daslaw.co.uk/blog/making-complaints-in-restaurants-and-food-outlets#:~:text=desserts%2C%20for%20example.-,If%20the%20service%20was%20poor%2C%20you%20can%20refuse%20to%20pay,because%20the%20service%20was%20poor.

I remember a tv lawyer/judge explained that you break the law if you walk out and dont pay.
Breach of Contract.
But if you tell them you are not satisfied and leave a penny to pay for the food and service you have complied with conditions of contract.
Its then up to the other party to chase that in the courts.
More than probably they won't.
If its the only place you have in the area one must be cautious though. Cuttings one's nose off et al.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
That's nine or ten pints Razz

Not in that pub for Stella. £5.50 a pint so that's 6 pints plus crisps. 3 pints each. Crying or Very sad Plus there was only 1 other person in the pub so it was hardly the social occasion pubs try and make themselves out to be.

I can get totally wankered on a bottle of rum for under £20 Wasted

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Oop' Norf we've got new pubs opening almost monthly, i think at last count there were 4 new pubs opened up in Chesvegas (and surrounding areas) since the beginning of the year, with a nother couple planned for the coiming weeks

They are doing a roaring trade up here, and as a self confessed "craft beer wanker", i can't get enough of them Very Happy

Great to hear. I love pubs but less so the 'craft beer wanker types'. There's still a decent few trad boozers in that Larnden but you now have to look hard to find them .. Suspect tourists keep the market buoyant..
..although that doesn't explain why Cambridge has so few decent ones

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I ducked into the Wellington in Waterloo for a wee

nice alliteration - if only you'd weaved in..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I went to pubs was for live music (mostly blues and rock). None of that around here Sad
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
The only reason I went to pubs was for live music (mostly blues and rock). None of that around here Sad

Again, we are very lucky where we live, a very healthy live music scene round here

In fact the local "village" from us has 4 pubs (and a micropub) in the space of 200m, and 2 of them always have live music on at the weekends, and one of the other ones has a "disco" room

Then we have 2 proper live music venues in Town (one a Rock pub, the other a 200 capacity staged venue above a music shop), it's brilliant for a town of its size

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Again, we are very lucky where we live, a very healthy live music scene round here

In fact the local "village" from us has 4 pubs (and a micropub) in the space of 200m, and 2 of them always have live music on at the weekends, and one of the other ones has a "disco" room

Then we have 2 proper live music venues in Town (one a Rock pub, the other a 200 capacity staged venue above a music shop), it's brilliant for a town of its size

It's the one thing I miss about living near London - spoilt for choice.
And Harlow had a good live music scene when I lived there.
Even lil' ol' Witney in Oxfordshire had four or five venues that were regulars for live bands when I lived there for a time before moving up here.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The fact that it appears that modern societies don't need pubs?

Modern "societies" can go fuck themselves. If I cared about them, I'd feel sorry for the younger generations coming along now.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our village we have 3 pubs.

1. The 'local', which I am currently barred from for saying '...if you are going to bar him for that, you may as well bar me as well...'.

2. The 'farmers' pub, which ceased to serve that function years ago and is now frequented by youths high on powder wanting a fight.

3. The 'top knot and silly gin' which only opens 3 nights a week and shuts at 21.00.

I have no love for any of them, and am at an age where I would happily never go into one of them again unless they change.

Are pubs dead? Not yet but they may be by the end of the year as non-alcoholics with less spending money won't be going as often.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:20 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not a huge pub drinker, spent most of my weekends at bike rallies for years, but I enjoy a walk out for a beer now and prefer old fashioned pubs.
Even in Edinburgh city centre I can expect a decent pint in a nice pub for £4

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I ducked into the Wellington in Waterloo for a wee this evening, it seemed very lively in a commuter-having-two-pints kind of way.

Shouldn't you have used the toilet? or don't they mind up that London

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

4-5 quid a pint?
jeez
You can get 2.5 litres of Frosty Jacks for £3.90 in Iceland

https://assets.iceland.co.uk/i/iceland/Frosty_Jacks_25l_Original_Apple_Cider_77074.jpg?$pdpmain$

A quick bit of begging, two bottles of that, some Greggs sausage rolls, a nice park bench and its party time!

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Are pubs dead? Not yet but they may be by the end of the year as non-alcoholics with less spending money won't be going as often.

put my name on that list The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
4-5 quid a pint?
jeez
You can get 2.5 litres of Frosty Jacks for £3.90 in Iceland

https://assets.iceland.co.uk/i/iceland/Frosty_Jacks_25l_Original_Apple_Cider_77074.jpg?$pdpmain$

A quick bit of begging, two bottles of that, some Greggs sausage rolls, a nice park bench and its party time!

https://www.google.com/search?q=tje+brown+bottle&oq=tje+brown+bottle&aqs=chrome..69i57.6047j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=MpulYrAPZFxCqM

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:29 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine and Ste's fav pub (admittedly a 2.5 miles cycle away) is about £4 quid a pint,doesn't do food unless you want crisps (bringing your own in is acceptable), does some decent music and the crowd are all cool.

My kids insist on going there.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 07 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

When I just want to get hammered I get two bottles of Amaretto from Aldi, their £6.99 each and 22%. Sweet as fuck so you can glug them down and get proper wasted.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 07 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

When I just want to get hammered I get two bottles of Amaretto from Aldi, their £6.99 each and 22%. Sweet as fuck so you can glug them down and get proper wasted.

Cock Tails is the berries.

My fav is Cuba Libre.

Four fingers white rum. (Bacardi)
Two tbl spn lime juice
Crushed ice
Top off with cola.

Variation on that theme.
Add spanked mint leaves. (Cup 4-5 mint leaves in the palm of one hand then slap the leaves with the other hand. It bursts the cells and the mint flows out faster.)

Not as sweetie as Amurula.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 355 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3