Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Doubts creeping in

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Doubts creeping in Reply with quote

Bought a K3 Gixxer 1000 at the back end of last year. Lovely condition, 12k miles with some nice extras aimed at trackdays.

I've not been able to really have a good ride out on it until the last few weeks. Made a few changes, replaced the too high Gilles rearsets with standard pegs. Fitted some adjustable bars and set the suspension up to suit me.

The bike is now spot on BUT... its way too easy to ride at jail inviting speeds and its hard to stay disciplined enough not to do it, for me anyway. Its so addictive using it like it should be but even using 50% of what its capable of is licence losing land.

I'd planned to do a few trackdays on it and use it for the occasional blast on the road but the doubts are creeping in.
Another reality is at 65 years old, my reactions aren't what they were when I was 30.

Problem is I really like it so thats the conundrum, Keep it and try to be sensible or chop it in against something like an Aprillia rs660.

Any advice welcomed

OGR

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go the whole nine yards and turbo it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:17 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just impressed you can ride the fucking thing at 65. I gave up on sports bikes 5 years ago because.of elbow and shoulder pain and I'm 51.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get rid of it… and move up to a K5. That’s when they got REALLY good. Very Happy

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon its time for a Chinkwai Fuschia for you me lad
Its not all bad, no more stinking of piss, wear nice clothes
meet a better class people and all that.
Nobby wont talk to you, I mean, that's a plus in itself right?

https://www.urbanscooters.com/image?filename=Products/Motor%20Scooters/Retro_Scooter_De_4ea8a97917aa9.jpg&width=300&height=0

Last edited by WD Forte on 20:42 - 06 Apr 2022; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not riding fast that will lose you a licence. Its the bastirt Gatso and Police (Poileas) Speed Traps that will do it.
I've been hooring it on a S100RR for over ten years and still have my licence.

Take the bastirt to a track, knock the fuck out of it there and get the silly bastirt out of your bloodstream. Cool

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Have you considered upgrading to a 250 or something bigger?

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
MCN wrote:

Pretty much what I did for green laning , as the roads were becoming too much for me lol

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it. I cane fuck out of my zx9r at least once on every ride - but it's only a 'mad minute.' I ride quite conservatively elsewhere, and when I know I'm on a stretch where a lack of restraint is almost certainly going to be okay, I just wind it on and have a laugh. That suffices. I won't be going back to a sporty 600, no way. I came close to selling the 9, and went back 'down' to a 600 for a year, but the 600 never got ridden after the initial novelty of a lighter, nimbler bike wore off. A lack of torque and zest to just go, and go properly, at any time, weighed in too heavily and the 600 got flogged.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Keep it. I cane fuck out of my zx9r at least once on every ride - but it's only a 'mad minute.' I ride quite conservatively elsewhere, and when I know I'm on a stretch where a lack of restraint is almost certainly going to be okay, I just wind it on and have a laugh. That suffices. I won't be going back to a sporty 600, no way. I came close to selling the 9, and went back 'down' to a 600 for a year, but the 600 never got ridden after the initial novelty of a lighter, nimbler bike wore off. A lack of torque and zest to just go, and go properly, at any time, weighed in too heavily and the 600 got flogged.

I felt more in danger of losing my license on my Street Triple than on my Fazer 1000. Couldn't help but cane the thing everywhere.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:47 - 06 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the bike that gets the points, it's whoever's sat on it twisting the throttle. The only points I ever had on my licence (6 of them)? I got them on a 250cc Honda scooter.

I've never been interested in track days and the like, but isn't the point of those to take bikes that are too fast to ever ride on the road safely/without getting nicked and get it out of your system so you can ride sedately once back on the Queen's Highway?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 07 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your dilemma. What is the point of owning something when you can only legitimately use 10% of its power? I use a similar argument with 'er indoors when she buys new shoes, because after all one can only wear one pair at once. As she rightly points out however, having the choice means she has all eventualities covered...

Think about your most memorable rides, and chances are they were on smaller, less powerful bikes. Wink

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 07 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I felt more in danger of losing my license on my Street Triple than on my Fazer 1000. Couldn't help but cane the thing everywhere.

You're 100% right about this, but there's a subtle difference.

The striple is like having a local scrote whispering in your ear the whole time "Go on mate, do a wheelie, the rozzers aren't about, and that BMW driver thinks he's chocolate, cane him off the roundabout, go on mate..." As long as you tell him to sod off, you can ride at normal speeds.

A litre sportsbike is more like trying to hold back a pissed up roider on a night out. You can do it, but it gets pretty tiring/frustrating. It's the reason I've never had one. I understand exactly how you feel OGR, but I can't tell you what to do about it. I've just always gone for bikes where I felt like I could regularly use *most* of it's capabilities on the road. I'd definitely go for an RS660 over an RSV4, for example.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:01 - 07 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an RS 660 and then you can decide whether you want that instead of the Gixxer or as well as the Gixxer.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 07 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

You're 100% right about this, but there's a subtle difference.

The striple is like having a local scrote whispering in your ear the whole time "Go on mate, do a wheelie, the rozzers aren't about, and that BMW driver thinks he's chocolate, cane him off the roundabout, go on mate..." As long as you tell him to sod off, you can ride at normal speeds.

Telling the scrote to sod off = sell the Street Triple. Which I did (although it was also about not having the money to run two bikes anymore and the other bike suited me more, or at least, more of the time).
I'd like to have been living in a world where I didn't have to though. The ST may have been a scrote, but it was a lovable one Laughing

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 07 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better off with massive power on a road bike if it's your only road bike. Small bikes are great but the lack of torque becomes annoying on an every day basis. Also the need to thrash them everywhere, all of the time can actually attract more police interest.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 07 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would keep it if you like it. Sounds like a sorted bike. How long distances do you ride? Maybe change it if it's too uncomfortable for the longer rides. Get a VFR1200 Smile

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 07 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
MCN wrote:

No. I see absolutely no need for excessive Horsepower in a motorcycle.

They are dangerous enough as they are..

Laughing

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments. Had a good ride out today, about 100 miles. Kept it to 75-95 mph where possible. Revelled in the instant power available, 4th gear gentle wheelies over crests etc, even got me dodgy knee down lol.
Upshot is I'm keeping it, too much fun not to.

OGR

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Thanks for all the comments. Had a good ride out today, about 100 miles. Kept it to 75-95 mph where possible. Revelled in the instant power available, 4th gear gentle wheelies over crests etc, even got me dodgy knee down lol.
Upshot is I'm keeping it, too much fun not to.

OGR

Good stuff, never to old unless you can literally not get your leg over it. My mate has to use the peg to get on because of his arthritis and you don't need to be fit to wheel one around at 95 or whatever Very Happy

I plan to ride sporty bikes until I am hospitalised from cancer/biking/smoking/drinking/drug taking and of course COVID which is highly unlikely as I'm fit due to the above.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:59 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

I plan to ride sporty bikes until I am hospitalised from cancer/biking/smoking/drinking/drug taking and of course COVID which is highly unlikely as I'm fit due to the above.

I thought it would be the shagging that would see you off Razz

Congrats on keeping the bike OGR!

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:18 - 16 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeem ouzzer wrote:
Also the need to thrash them everywhere, all of the time can actually attract more police interest.

Where do you live that has actual living filth as opposed to cameras??

urbanfireblad...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:18 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say sell it and buy a smaller bike you can pin the throttle! Much more fun, I sold my Ducati Monster 5 weeks ago and bought a 125 for much the same reason! I've also gone from a Street Triple R down to a 125 Honda Grom! There's huge fun at both ends of the scale, just choose which suits you better, tbh maybe a 125 is extreme downsizing, look at a 300 Ninja etc, but the point is that you can have fun on anything, fast or slow, just find what suits your situation best.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

urbanfireblade wrote:
I'd say sell it and buy a smaller bike you can pin the throttle! Much more fun, I sold my Ducati Monster 5 weeks ago and bought a 125 for much the same reason! I've also gone from a Street Triple R down to a 125 Honda Grom! There's huge fun at both ends of the scale, just choose which suits you better, tbh maybe a 125 is extreme downsizing, look at a 300 Ninja etc, but the point is that you can have fun on anything, fast or slow, just find what suits your situation best.

Because REAL MEN ride litre bikes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2