Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding without a helmet

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:01 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Riding without a helmet Reply with quote

As the title says, I have seen few grown-up men riding their bikes without a helmet and wondered if there was an exception to the helmet law min in motorcycles.........these were not your everyday teens messing about with their 50cc or 125cc, they were on a big bikes without L plates (so I am assuming they got full A licences)........Has anyone else noticed that?

yes, since I joines the crew I seem to be admiring every motorbike that passes whilst driving Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:21 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it sticks out like a sore thumb and it's an easy nick for a copper with monthly targets to meet.

It's also desperately stupid.

Last time I saw an adult with no lid on a big bike on the road was about 2007, and he caused something of a stir, and got me banned from a local national trust property because they thought it was me. Despite me owning a red motorcycle and said idiot was riding a blue GSXR...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're probably middle aged scrotes riding nicked bikes without a lid while they pop out for some skag, because they know the law will do absolutely fuck all to them if they get caught.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:36 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sikhs have an exemption if they are wearing a turban.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Next thing it will be fine for gender different persons to wear condoms on their heads for protection.

On a real and politically correct note I would be cringing not wearing a helmet. I don't tend to go out without head to tow in Kangaroo skin and a HJC RPHA10 helmet that fits my odd head and is light, good value helmet. Anyway idiots going out with no helmet.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 23:07 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went without one once in Morocco for a few hours as at the time it wasn't required then realized it was not a good idea if l end up bashing my head on a rock.

I got caught in a small town in Ontario Canada driving across the road from a motel to a petrol station holding the helmet in one hand and was caught by a cop. l was on a UK plated bike and lied to him that helmets were optional in the UK (like some of the USA). Got away with a lecturer on Ontario helmet laws and no fine...
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:24 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite liberating riding with no lid. I didn't wear one the whole time I was on holiday in Florida. Hawaiian shirt, shorts, wrap-arounds and good sunscreen. Done it on islands in the Uk where no licence is required too.

if you ride at sustained high speeds with no lid on, your hair automatically arranges itself into a 60's style bikers quiff.

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 04:11 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Nice one mate, they were actually Sikhs wearing Turbans so that clears things up.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:55 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

See it quite a lot in South London also no no plate and I expect not their bike!

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many decided to wear helmets after this? Probably not many....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/motorcyclist-killed-in-anti-helmet-rally-1.1113750

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Riding without a helmet Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:
As the title says, I have seen few grown-up men riding their bikes without a helmet and wondered if there was an exception to the helmet law min in motorcycles.........these were not your everyday teens messing about with their 50cc or 125cc, they were on a big bikes without L plates (so I am assuming they got full A licences)........Has anyone else noticed that?

yes, since I joines the crew I seem to be admiring every motorbike that passes whilst driving Very Happy

There is no exemption other than if you're a Sikh. If you ride a trike or a quad you don't need to wear one.

I've only ever seen one guy not wearing a helmet and it was an old bloke on a Harley going through Blantyre/ Hamilton. He also didn't have any protective gear on at all and didn't even have long sleeves on.

For anyone who comes past this thread from Google who want to ride without a helmet:

Unpleasant Truth 01:

You don't look cool by not wearing a helmet. You look like a cunt to every other biker. You also make yourself an easy target for the police as it's so noticeable.

Unpleasant Truth 02:

Nobody is interested in you or your bike except for other bikers. The blonde driving that X5 isn't looking at you, she's trying to put her lippy on.

Laughing

EDIT: Fixed it Nobby.

Last edited by Fat Angry Scotsman on 10:15 - 14 Apr 2022; edited 1 time in total

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Riding without a helmet Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Unpleasant Truth 02:

Nobody is interested in you or your bike except for other bikers. The blonde driving that X5 isn't looking at you, she's trying to put her lippy on.

Shocked - say it's not true.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:50 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Riding without a helmet Reply with quote

There is no exemption other than if you ride a trike or a quad you don't need to wear one.

Apart from the aformentioned sikh turban one.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Riding without a helmet Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

There is no exemption other than if you ride a trike or a quad you don't need to wear one.

Apart from the aformentioned sikh turban one.

Oh well, the more you know and all that.

Was curious how many Sikhs there are in the UK, census data from 2011 showed 432,439. Then thought what percentage of the general population was bikers well in 2020 there was 1,270,000 motorcycles registered in the UK. Obviously a large number of bikers own multiple bikes but for conservativity we will pretend they don't.

UK Population = 67,220,000 (2020)
UK Motorcyclists = 1,270,000 (2020)
Percentage of population who are motorcyclists = 1.89%

UK Sikh Population = 432,439 (2017)
Sikh Motorcyclists = 8,173
Percentage of people in the who are Sikh motorcyclists = 0.012%

Not many with that exemption.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Riding without a helmet Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Unpleasant Truth 02:

Shocked - say it's not true.

I know mate, when I realised bikes do not equal pussy I was heartbroken too Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Riding without a helmet Reply with quote

I know mate, when I realised bikes do not equal pussy I was heartbroken too Laughing

Yeah but they cost less and don't mind being locked up in the garage for days at a time.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:56 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Riding without a helmet Reply with quote

Oh well, the more you know and all that.

Was curious how many Sikhs there are in the UK, census data from 2011 showed 432,439. Then thought what percentage of the general population was bikers well in 2020 there was 1,270,000 motorcycles registered in the UK. Obviously a large number of bikers own multiple bikes but for conservativity we will pretend they don't.

UK Population = 67,220,000 (2020)
UK Motorcyclists = 1,270,000 (2020)
Percentage of population who are motorcyclists = 1.89%

UK Sikh Population = 432,439 (2017)
Sikh Motorcyclists = 8,173
Percentage of people in the who are Sikh motorcyclists = 0.012%

Not many with that exemption.

Although many Sikhs come from Asian countries where there is more of a culture of using small motorcycles and mopeds as your primary transport so you may find there is a higher rate of motorcycle use in that population. Also Hackney drivers doing the knowledge.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Riding without a helmet Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Although many Sikhs come from Asian countries where there is more of a culture of using small motorcycles and mopeds as your primary transport so you may find there is a higher rate of motorcycle use in that population. Also Hackney drivers doing the knowledge.

Even if the uptake in bikers among Sikhs was 10 times more than non-Sikhs it would still amount to just over one tenth of a single percent (0.12%) of the population and still a wholly insignificant percentage of people with the exemption.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is quite a large Asian and Sikh community in Leicester
so you'd probably see more helmetless motorbike riders there then places with a small Asian community.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Riding without a helmet Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Yeah but they cost less and don't mind being locked up in the garage for days at a time.

Also a bike doesn't mind if you go off and ride a different bike.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't live as far from London as I sometimes would like, and I used to see the occasional turbanned Sikh out on a ride, sometimes. Always either a new sportsbike, or a chromed-out Harley or Enfield, unfortunately. Laughing That was up until a few years ago. I haven't seen any since then (which doesn't really mean anything). I don't think bikes really figure much in the upbringing/childhood of most UK-born-and-domiciled-since-birth Asians, in general. They seem to be more into cars, especially older BMW cars, pimped out. What you see in your childhood leaves an imprint upon you. Just putting myself in their shoes, if I lived in a sort of ghettoised west London bubble all my life, how would I be into anything but cars? I wouldn't know or care about bikes at all, much less the 80s and 90s ones. I saw a brief documentary on the car culture of British Sikhs recently, and it was interesting. Whatever their uncles and dads did in the 80s and 90s, they idolised. Plus there's a link to Kenyan motorsports, too. It's nice, but I was left with an impression of "big fat gypsy wedding", i.e. it's about a sense of personal projection of look-at-me style, which might explain the occasional glimpse of turbanned R1 rider, Harleyist, etc. Anyway, each to their own.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wearing a helmet whilst riding a motorcycle on public roads in UK is just Sikh.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Riding without a helmet Reply with quote

Even if the uptake in bikers among Sikhs was 10 times more than non-Sikhs it would still amount to just over one tenth of a single percent (0.12%) of the population and still a wholly insignificant percentage of people with the exemption.

I think it's going to be a lot lower than that. There will be plenty of people who identify as Sikh but who for whatever reason choose not to wear a turban - like Jews who don't wear the full 'orthodox' gear.

Personally, although to be fair I do live in an area where there are very few Sikhs (I can't remember the last time I saw a turban round here), I genuinely don't recall ever having seen a turbanned motorcyclist in the UK.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
It's also desperately stupid.

One suspects there's not a lot of grey matter to protect in the first place.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would definitely ride without a helmet in good weather if it were legal.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3