BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which Threadlocker?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 02:16 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Which Threadlocker? Reply with quote

Need to order some as certain things are starting to rattle loose! Also threaded my master cylinder clamp by overtightening the mirror so had to order a new bracket end at the cost of £26! Not impressed. Thinking maybe be less heavy handed from now on but threadlock everything as standard practice?

What's best for general purposes on a motorcycle?

I'm thinking 243 as it's oil resistant (with the best will in the world I'm never gonna toothbrush every nut and bolt with IPA).

Any suggestions?

Also can anyone recommend a decent but inexpensive torque wrench? Had cheap ones in the past, load of crap.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Loctite 270. You don't need to toothbrush everything just use some brake cleaner on a rag and twist it into the thread for female threads or twist the thread into it for male threads.

If you don't remove oil and grease then don't expect the thread locker to be effective.

Cheapish torque wrenches? Draper or draper professional aren't too expensive and are reliable.

By the way, you didn't need to buy a new bracket. A helicoil would have sorted that and if you're that hamfisted then you should keep a few sets of the common sizes handy anyway. Laughing

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM specify 243, and that holds up well in a vibey v-twin no bother.

270 is stronger, something you'll remember well when you need to dismantle something in future.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
KTM specify 243, and that holds up well in a vibey v-twin no bother.

270 is stronger, something you'll remember well when you need to dismantle something in future.

A bit of heat sorts that - it's not always needed though Smile

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread lock is only useful on tapered fittings like NPT, arguments welcome.

Edit Have googled it and it seems can do more, so I take my comment back. Wrong again.

Last edited by struan80 on 18:56 - 14 Apr 2022; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:53 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

243 and a torque wrench.

Threads want to either be greased or threadlocked. Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:35 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this, it's really good and lasts for AGES.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-248-Medium-Strength-Stick/dp/B002T96AAY/ref=asc_df_B002T96AAY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309859586326&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14967757156614473785&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006807&hvtargid=pla-697463419382&psc=1

Also as an ex-serial Buell owner I can vouch that it's all you'll ever need unless you're doing stuff inside an engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Thread lock is only useful on tapered fittings like NPT, arguments welcome.

Edit Have googled it and it seems can do more, so I take my comment back. Wrong again.

***Warning***
This is Not an Argument but FFS google B4U post next time. Wink

Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
243 and a torque wrench.

Threads want to either be greased or threadlocked. Thumbs Up

***Warning***
This Is an Argument.

Some 'fasteners' specifically require no lubricant (or locking compound.) Wink

(We already know that you refuse to use google. Rolling Eyes )

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:36 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and people could also find things where you're meant to use red lockthread on. Razz

No argument from you about the torque wrench though. Razz

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:40 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A proper manufacturers workshop manual will tell you what, if anything should be on every fastener and how tight to do them up. If you follow these instructions, they shouldn't come undone.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:46 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
A proper manufacturers workshop manual will tell you what, if anything should be on every fastener and how tight to do them up. If you follow these instructions, they shouldn't come undone.

The Buell one basically says "Threadlock anything that isn't safety critical".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:59 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

The Buell one basically says "Threadlock anything that isn't safety critical".

I see no contradiction in these two statements.

I suppose it illustrates the difference between motorcycle and tractor engines.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:16 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Yes and people could also find things where you're meant to use red lockthread on. Razz

No argument from you about the torque wrench though. Razz

I no longer debate torque.

Every cunt can do their own thing now.
What with The Rona, Anti-Vax and the War in Ukraine, theres much more important issues than how much torque to put into a bolt. Rolling Eyes

Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:33 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Every cunt can do their own thing now.
What with The Rona, Anti-Vax and the War in Ukraine, theres much more important issues than how much torque to put into a bolt. Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Depends if you're heading up a motorway slip towards a roundabout at 100mph and it's the bolt holding your front brake master cylinder to the handlebars. Then it's the single most important thing in the world at that moment... Ask me how I know some time.

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:11 - 16 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to parade (apologies).

A43 has done me proud of the years. Especially things I want to undo in the future (but go steady, not too much at a time).

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 16 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I ordered threadlocker online (I was lazy and didn't need it immediately), I was sent a bottle of Korean super glue. eBay seller literally closed his account too so couldn't get money back (not a massive issue as it was only a few quid but still...).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:19 - 16 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
eBay seller literally closed his account too so couldn't get money back (not a massive issue as it was only a few quid but still...).

Narp.

The seller closing their account and so not responding to the dispute makes it really straight forward to get your money back using the eBay guarantee as the item you received was not as described. Thumbs Up

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 16 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah literally couldn't be arsed though. Ended up using it anyway, just not on the bike.

carbon90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 06:40 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I use Loctite 270. You don't need to toothbrush everything just use some brake cleaner on a rag and twist it into the thread for female threads or twist the thread into it for male threads.

If you don't remove oil and grease then don't expect the thread locker to be effective.

Cheapish torque wrenches? Draper or draper professional aren't too expensive and are reliable.

By the way, you didn't need to buy a new bracket. A helicoil would have sorted that and if you're that hamfisted then you should keep a few sets of the common sizes handy anyway. Laughing

Alright, I'll grab Loctite 270 when we start working on my uncle's new bike project. Hope the new tires from 4Wheelonline would arrive before the weekend so we'll do everything this weekend.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:56 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

At sea we used to use nutlock, threadlock and studlock. I can't for the life of me remember the Loctite numbers but I'm pretty sure they were blue, green and red!!!!!

Nutlock if need to undo it later, threadlock if in was pretty rarely apart and needed to be secure. Studlock of it was never ever in the whole wide world meant to come apart again.

Of course studlock was the most popular with us primitives. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:27 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
At sea we used to use nutlock, threadlock and studlock. I can't for the life of me remember the Loctite numbers but I'm pretty sure they were blue, green and red!!!!!

Nutlock if need to undo it later, threadlock if in was pretty rarely apart and needed to be secure. Studlock of it was never ever in the whole wide world meant to come apart again.

Then there's bearing fit compound, which may as well be weld.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Then there's bearing fit compound, which may as well be weld.

Loctite bearing retainer? Awesome stuff. Thumbs Up

I used it to sort out a rear wheel bearing that was no longer a proper interference fit and was rotating in the housing under load. Years later it's still holding as tight as ever - I'm dreading having to replace it although some judiciously applied heat should do the job.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 03:02 - 21 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Last time I ordered threadlocker online (I was lazy and didn't need it immediately), I was sent a bottle of Korean super glue. eBay seller literally closed his account too so couldn't get money back (not a massive issue as it was only a few quid but still...).

I got 243 in the end. I ordered mine from Ebay as it seems REALLY expensive, for what it is, from most mainstream sources like RS and high street retailers. The very cheapest ones on Ebay had Chinese writing on them in the photos, so at least it shows they're not trying to hide anything, probably is legitimately the real stuff and genuine, just intended for sale in the Asian market. Still I shelled out a few quid more for a bottle that was clearly from the UK market. Expiry December 2023. Had a bottle of green stuff in the shed that's been there for years, globbed a load on the mirror stud in the hope it'll hold while I wait for the new clamp to arrive then promptly launched it in the bin.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 21 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Loctite bearing retainer? Awesome stuff. Thumbs Up

I used it to sort out a rear wheel bearing that was no longer a proper interference fit and was rotating in the housing under load. Years later it's still holding as tight as ever - I'm dreading having to replace it although some judiciously applied heat should do the job.

Loctite High Strength Retaining Compound. Does wot it sez on the bottle.
I was fitting new bearings in the lift arms of a Caterpillar wheel loader. The bearing bores of the frame (Bucket Control Arm) was wallied oot and the customer didn't have time to line bore the frame.
I suggested retaining compound as a get-around temporary fix as I had it in the van.
Lift cyl. Bearings slipped in perfectly.
I fecked up on the Tilt cyl. and had to remove the bearings after fitting.
Shocked I had to go back to the depot for hydraulic puller to pull the hoowuring bearing back out.
Customer was very impressed.
We got the job of line boring about two months later. Still had to remove all the bearings using hydraulic pullers.
Equipment was loading trucks and a conveyor belt hopper at a Sand Quarry.

I use loctite pipe sealant when I have it. If used, as directed, it seals better than thread tape.
There are similar products but having used many others and observed their limitations, I only use Loctite sealants.
And Loctite Threading compounds.

Study the tech info on the Loctite website for the best results too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2