Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fitting an enclosed chainguard to Honda Wave 110i

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:47 - 16 Apr 2022    Post subject: Fitting an enclosed chainguard to Honda Wave 110i Reply with quote

Thought I'd document this because a lot of people ask if it's possible.

The scooter I got for Mrs stinkwheel is like a slightly lower capacity version of the Honda Innova 125, although not as many parts interchange as you'd expect/hope.

One thing I like for a commuter bike is an enclosed chain. Protects the chain from the weather and protects the bike and rider from the chain lube The Innova has one but for some reason they didn't fit them to the Wave.

A pattern chain enclosure is only £20 so I thought it would be worth a punt. I did this knowing this bike doesn't have the correct brackets on the swingarm.

A mock-up with tape looks promising in any case.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUg1HJLRjbHB8D3HF6sURlgUMvT98hJOUNC11y4J1MYu3YbgbJZnj7vAcJrAAexkmjmQEJj-A_DdDynSy2TpV3zLXt0K5DhY91FqvbYpvS08GbfWY6qwnkp2r7SmF_kXg5mbjCJoRYAgN1Eg8gAQo0G=w1576-h886-no

Couple of issues. None of the holes line up with anything although there is a bracket behind the top front one. Also the hole for the shock mount interferes with the fitting of the shock. With it tightened down, it deforms the chainguard. If you space it out a bit, the stud isn't long enough.

The latter was comparatively easy. I just cut down and opened out the hole with some tinsnips to make it a slot rather than a hole. On washer behind the shock as a spacer and it's fits pretty well.

Drilled a hole in front of the shock mount to get on the bracket for the original chainguard and filed a slot in the front chainguard mount so I could get a bolt through it.

WIth two hard mounting points, I was then able to bend up a couple of alloy brackets to hold the bottom half on. I bent them so they fitted round the swingarm so it gave a bit more ridgidity. It took quite a while to get it sitting well so the chain wasn't rubbing on the inside.

You can't get at the inside when the two halves are together so to allow me to assemble the bottom half onto the top half, I fed the bolt through from the inside of the bottom two mountings and attached them firmly with a nut (on the bracket on the front one, on the chainguard itself on the rear one). This effectively gave me studs sticking out I could slide the guard/bracket over and attch it with an acorn nut. Also means there's just a button-head on the inside of the chainguard.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXW_EIWlIXe6Mxf_8AkYhPLVcrAG4FKIGeyJPD5HwWnv-_32loJnjdkJsPq7FHNdrYuKTYl0XfTMB9UGOGFhMYWpiKZ6EuEmNhJ8pVBFdqfYW-KTQO3Dq7sf4hKIEzilsBFrFjoP1vtScnZEdKmBwUP=w1576-h886-no

The final modification was due to the rear shock fouling the top guard. I solved this by making a strategically placed dent. The paint on this thing is terrible quality. Exactly what you'd expect on a £20 bit of ebay pressed tin. I might redo it with machine enamel next time I have the spray gun out.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXySkmiz8FMF1YvcyP6Nkcqpi1_yfVwVVZ4AScN4cZYSrGQJRp_KT4eflYmeQ1ehM-dyAmWicf0cVu2TNSeJVKVt_fCQZSu_c1M1g5yHCM76tHkAJFrG139ZGAGwtF-3o4AfvgzYQL8RnykB7n0uzU6=w1576-h886-no

Ordered a rubber bung to go in the inspection hole and finished off with a couple of bits of helicopter tape on the swingarm under the brackets.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:02 - 16 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todays other job was fitting heated grips. What a ball-ache routing wires under all those plastics.

Almost all the wiring is done with connector blocks but the rear brake light switch does have a couple of bullet connectors which allowed me to grab a switched live and route it into the battery box without having to cut any of the original wiring.

Wired it in with a relay in the battery box as has been shown before many times and I took the wiring up alongside the main loom.

The throttle side has a big enough gap to sneak the wires out through, although the plastic inner twist grip is odd, it's got loads of textured knobbles on it which made fitting the rigid heated grip tricky, I had to cut some of them down with a stanley knife. You wouldn't be able to use sticky-backed grip heaters with this throttle.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUbu6_kdt-kJPh4h4awcu8ypaM8RvPNDxD7O1DzljNfLTfrsPZZbFzyzFyQ6H92S4bAPwDUWeRmg1xcj8YRSsjwuGNNHVvPCSUN98lD25LC67zoGjgKjVEYzMir7-JVM_Od4kyU_ark-xUepHDRoABg=w1576-h886-no

I filed a slight round in one of the plastics to sneak the left side wire through. No clutch made routing easy.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVpeCXKu-fn8jW6SP6hLM729W6IRFdaT85kanDkKjD32nodTtXAKgINASwjARg-d9PxmELFn6Xf-A0WtvfzLpTXnrW7wFMlB15Ipbn6aKfWG6SuuXkS5EYWqt9ORQzJM9T7hntA7k1ZlP5mois53GXG=w1576-h886-no

One thing that's going to require some modifying is the handlebars are about 1/2" shorter than normal ones so the grips stick out beyond the end of the bar. Not a real problem because the end weights support them and the grips themselves are quite ridgid but it'll be a lest for fitting the bar muffs, I tried the left one on and it's really pinched in. The throttle side one will interfere with the twistgrip and there wont be enough room for your hand. I think the solution will be to fit long bar end weights with a spacer under them (I'll cut a slice off some old alloy bicycle handlebars to make one).

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 22 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job. Now learn to weld.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's the question of whether you can fit a chainguard to a Wave finally answered, with the answer being "Yes, but it's definitely more of a pain in the arse than you'd hope". Nice one.

Are you open to answering other questions the internet is unable to answer? I've got one about how much lube it takes to get an otter through a drainpipe.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1