Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Heated grips on small scooter (and oddball electrics!)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:18 - 12 Apr 2022    Post subject: Heated grips on small scooter (and oddball electrics!) Reply with quote

Long and technical.

Just got a Honda Wave 110 for Mrs stinkwheel for a commuter and she would really like heated grips on it. This is a bit of an ask for the wee thing but I'm thinking through it and will need to do some more testing.

It's pretty much the same setup as a Honda Innova 125 (although not interchangeable). This took me some time to get my head around. It's a "modern" bike with electric start and fuel injection however it only has a single charging coil and has direct lighting just like the older hondas... Except it isn't like that.

The coil feeds into the reg/rec and there is one take-off for the 12v 4Ah battery charging and another for the lighting which is a separate circuit. The lighting only comes on when the engine is running. I had it on good authority that the lighting was actually DC rather than AC, albeit "dirty" DC. I put an LED taillight bulb in and the brake light worked but the tail didn't. I put an LED numberplate bulb in and that did work. Thinking

Long story short. It takes a single phase input, half rectifies and regulates it for the battery charging as you'd expect. The lighting (rather cleverly I thought) uses the OTHER HALF of the output. Rather than a split single coil system using half the coil for one and half of it for the other and dumping the bottom half of the waveform like the older ones did, it uses all of the output, the only wasteage is cropping of over-voltage. Put another way, the charging is negative earth and the lighting is positive earth on the same bike!

Not sure how this will play with the LED taillight bulb. A negative earth one definately won't work. A positive earth one shouldn't be polarity sensitive but I have no idea how it will play when asked to be both positive and negative earth (stop light is -ve earth, tail light is +ve earth).

Anyway, to the heated grips. By using LEDs throughout, I'll free up a good 2A of constant draw. Most grips are 4A on full power but I'll check how much they draw on lower settings. What we need to avoid is them drawing so much it stops the FI working. Although these bikes will apparently self-excite and start on a flat battery with the kick-start providing there is fuel in the injector line (again, a marvel of electronics!).

My thoughts are to use the lighting output to trigger a relay for the grips, hopefully halfwave DC will keep the coil energised. Then I can have the grips on a fused "clean" DC supply from the battery but they can only be turned on when the engine is running. My concern is I'm saving most of the power on the lighting side then drawing extra on the charging side.

Then there's the danger of flattening the battery. At a basic level, it'll be doing about 25-30 miles a day tops so simply plugging it into a trickle charger every night would most likely keep on top of it. Another option is a charging indicator lamp (the ones that show green for charged and red for low voltage) so the grips can be shut off if it goes red.

Another thought is one of those voltage sensitive relays like they use for charging leisure batteries on camper vans. Most trip in at 13.8V and cut off at 12.4V. If I fitted one of those it would only allow the grips to be on once the power hits 13.8 and they would turn off if it drops below 12.4. Could be a pest though because I suspect idle voltage will be pretty low and might make Mrs stinkwheel ride it about with the engine screaming to keep the grips on. I'm also not sure if they have any parasitic draw when off. Although combined with the switching relay, it wouldn't be able to draw anything with the engine off.

Or do I run grips on the lighting circuit? Heating elements won't worry about polarity or the cleanliness of the power supply BUT the electronics on the grip heater will probably have a tantrum. That leaves the low-tech sticky pad grip heaters but they are less flexible for low power settings.

Thoughts?

TL;DR

Will a +ve earth LED stop and tail bulb have a tantrum if asked to be positive and negative earth similtaneously?

Will a normal automotive relay trigger properly off "dirty" DC?

Is a voltage sensitive relay likely to be useful?

Should I run electronically controlled grips off the battery or basic grip heaters off the lighting circuit?

These questions may have to be answered by experimentation...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:28 - 12 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a positive earthed led light for the rear and number plate and a negative earth for the brake light.

Good luck....

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 12 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the recent discussions on Lithium-Ion batteries how about an entirely independent system.

Grips > manual switch > li-ion battery

For example, run the grips cable to the underseat storage and use a cheap jump-start pack (which usually have a powerbank feature.) Unplug the pack, stash helmet, surreptitiously charge pack at the office and save £££ Smile

You could probably even dispense with rigging up a switch if you just get into the habit of disconnecting the power pack when not using the bike.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:23 - 12 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You need a positive earthed led light for the rear and number plate and a negative earth for the brake light.

Good luck....

the number plate light is ok because it's a wedge bulb you can fit in either way. The rear light is a BAY15D combined stop and tail which is more of a ball ache. I'm waiting for a +ve earth lamp to arrive. I suppose it depends where they have connected the earth for the two filaments on the PCB in the bulb.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:24 - 12 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Given the recent discussions on Lithium-Ion batteries how about an entirely independent system.

Grips > manual switch > li-ion battery

For example, run the grips cable to the underseat storage and use a cheap jump-start pack (which usually have a powerbank feature.) Unplug the pack, stash helmet, surreptitiously charge pack at the office and save £££ Smile

You could probably even dispense with rigging up a switch if you just get into the habit of disconnecting the power pack when not using the bike.

I like that. Thumbs Up

Could in-fact still use a relay running off the bike so the battery pack shuts off when the ignition is off.

EDIT: Furthering that chain of thought, it would be possible to wire in a "leisure battery" for the grips in the underseat compartment using one of those split charge relays so the accessory battery charges from the bike but only when the main battery is fully charged. It could still be removed and charged separately.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 12 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. or go old school and fit one of these for the grips.. Wink

https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/images/axa-trio-dynamo-steel-wheel-right-p11427-800_image.jpg

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:57 - 12 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about how a transfoirmer works, is there some way you could convert the positive earth lighting side to negative using two coils and a suitable piece of laminated iron?

In theory it should work but in reality the losses could make it unviable.

Alternately, make it fully rectified and make it one circuit, that way you you can use the full power of the generator. This strikes me as much more do-able and any regulator/rectifier should do the job.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:33 - 12 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Alternately, make it fully rectified and make it one circuit, that way you you can use the full power of the generator. This strikes me as much more do-able and any regulator/rectifier should do the job.

That's what I'd do on a "normal" split coil system. However a normal fully rectified circuit doesn't use the full power of the generator, it dumps the half of it that's the wrong polarity. This system uses all of it.

I don't think there is a single phase reg/rec that doesn't just dump the bottom half of the waveform?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:45 - 12 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case, this.

(Top picture)

This is true full wave rectification. You just need 4 diodes, but I believe a suitable capacitor to flatten the output from spikes to nearer a flat constant voltage is preferable. It's called Bridge rectification.

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode_6.html

Further down is full rectification using a coil but that's harder to do by the hobbyist.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 18:00 - 12 Apr 2022; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:51 - 12 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, when I say 'I believe' I used a capacitor doing the experiment that proved full rectification back when I was in the process of failing A level physic about 33 years ago.

It was a standard experiment that everyone on the course did.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:52 - 12 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, lots to think about. Complicated by the fact that it's complicated. I'm ok with the electrics but not so hot on the electronics of these things

There aren't actually only two outputs from the reg/rec, others go to the main relay and directly to the ECU which I think may be to allow self-excitment on a flat battery. I'm not actually sure what these are outputting or their exact function.

I've attached a circuit diagram for an innova which is broadly similar. There is a distinct lack of any sort of manuals specifically for the FI Waves.

I'm actually moving towards the idea of a seperate removable battery for the grips with a charge relay to allow battery overspill to top it up, a bit like how they rig leisure batteries on camper vans.

I'm going to get more into it at the weekend and see how much it's actually drawing from the battery normally.

If this seems like a lot of faffing, it's because Mrs stinkwheel has pretty bad reynauds and needs heated grips AND bar muffs on her bikes. Especially if she's going to arrive at work in a fit state to do surgery.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:04 - 12 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm prepared to bet that the ecu is purely dc side (ignoring the pick up coil) so.converting the lights to negative earth won't be an issue.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:48 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been through the lighting circuit (excluding indicators and brake light) on the wiring diagram and it's not connected to anything else so I would say your ECU side is wholly DC and so full wave rectification should be an easy matter to do.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Actually, when I say 'I believe' I used a capacitor doing the experiment that proved full rectification back when I was in the process of failing A level physic about 33 years ago.

It was a standard experiment that everyone on the course did.

A decoupling capacitor is fairly standard on a full wave bridge rectification circuit when a smoothed DC output is required. On a bike or car the decoupling function is normally provided by the battery.

In this case, just the bridge rectifier will suffice - the LEDs won't care that they're being fed what is effectively a pulsed feed and the frequency will be high enough that it shouldn't be detectable visually - if it is then a fairly high value electrolytic capacitor can be added - say, 4,700 uF rated at 25v or higher.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

A decoupling capacitor is fairly standard on a full wave bridge rectification circuit when a smoothed DC output is required. On a bike or car the decoupling function is normally provided by the battery.

In this case, just the bridge rectifier will suffice - the LEDs won't care that they're being fed what is effectively a pulsed feed and the frequency will be high enough that it shouldn't be detectable visually - if it is then a fairly high value electrolytic capacitor can be added - say, 4,700 uF rated at 25v or higher.

Just for clarity I'm not sure 'Decoupling Capacitor' is the right terminology. These are generally on logic circuits to suppress noise on power rails. 'Smoothing capacitor' might be better.. no offence like.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Islander wrote:

Just for clarity I'm not sure 'Decoupling Capacitor' is the right terminology. These are generally on logic circuits to suppress noise on power rails. 'Smoothing capacitor' might be better.. no offence like.

When I did my first degree that was what we called it and to the best of my knowledge it's still the correct technical term. It decouples the waveform produced by the rectifier - as opposed to a coupling capacitor which is used inline to pass an AC signal and block any DC behind it. Smile

Then there's integration...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:11 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm...

Battery powered heated gloves? All this putting lithium batteries under the seat and things, but you can get gloves with built in battery pack connections, including battery packs which are rechargeable.

https://buysimple.co.uk/products/rechargable-heated-motorcycle-gloves-battery-powered-warm-motorcycle-gloves?variant=41073196826781&gclid=CjwKCAjw6dmSBhBkEiwA_W-EoKQT3wTab3TkxminI88Wimj0V8h_tg6gDTVel4BXiqBd2NY_8GWf_BoCHkYQAvD_BwE

Something like that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the supply is that 'dirty' as well
As said, if the ECU can cope with it then the other components
wont be fussed.
You'd need a scope to be sure but I reckon Honda had a pretty good idea what they were doing and nowadays can do better then raw AC and half wav rectified stuff we'd see on a 1980 CG125

Fowlers parts shows a stator with 12 bobbins and if they're all wound in series with one end to ground and one final output
the overlapping wave forms wont be that bad even before they get rectified and smoothed by caps and the battery itself acts like a big smoothing cap.

Actual usable power/spare capacity will be limited of course
so going all led is a good start.
The guy I know who does Deliveroo all year round has never asked me to fit heated grips to his scoot
But, his screen has a wide base that cuts wind chill on the grips
and he always has those muff things fitted.

If heated grips are really needed I'd fit a voltmeter to keep things simple
It's a cheap handy warning system for any bike to let you
know if alls well electrically anyway.

If heated grips and or other gadgets do suck too much power from the system and the running voltage drops below say 13.7V, you'll know immediately
and can turn them off before they leave you stranded.

As a rough guide with a running voltage of 14V
A grip element of 10 ohms will burn 1.4A or 20Watts
double that 2.8A/40Wfor a pair if wired in parallel
Half that 1.4A/20W for a pair wired in series
With good thermal insulation and wind chill protection 10W
a grip may be enough to keep fingers comfy.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to work out why you don't just use the genuine honda moped heated grips that are designed for the application and for the life of me can't?

And the rear stop/tail light led problem is quite common, needs diodes on the positive sides of the circuits. It's a problem that turns up when fitting alarms.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:56 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how you'd use diodes so you can use a led bulb replacement that does both rear and brake light when the power for one is +ve earth and other is -ve short of making them both the same in the previously described full rectification approach.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:15 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
I'm trying to work out why you don't just use the genuine honda moped heated grips that are designed for the application and for the life of me can't?

That would be because I can't find any information about them. None for sale new or second hand, none listed as an accessory on the honda website and none listed on any parts fisches I have access to. And I have looked. I concluded there was no such thing

I have not asked my local honda dealers and I'm not going to because when Mrs stinkwheel went in to enquire about super cubs they told her there aren't any (not that they haven't pre-ordered enough which is what they should have said, there aren't any, which is patently untrue because the dealers in Bradford has a whole row of them).

Got a link or a part number for genuine Honda moped heated grips?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:25 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empirical experimentation now shows positive earth stop and tail lamps do not work in this application either, you get the tail light but not the brake light.

I might have a fiddle with a bulb some time, in theory just a case of desoldering the tail light inputs from inside a standard -ve earth LED bulb and flipping them round (assuming they don't just have a common earth on the PCB). It's getting the bulb apart without destroying it that'll be the tricky part.

I have a set of R&G grips on Mrs stinkwheels CBR6. Battery is flat just now but once I get it started, I'll measure the current draw at the different power levels and post it up here.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
That would be because I can't find any information about them. None for sale new or second hand, none listed as an accessory on the honda website and none listed on any parts fisches I have access to. And I have looked. I concluded there was no such thing

Phone a Honda dealer and ask about the heated grips for mopeds that only have coverage over 1/3-1/2 the surface.

stinkwheel wrote:
I have not asked my local honda dealers and I'm not going to because when Mrs stinkwheel went in to enquire about super cubs they told her there aren't any (not that they haven't pre-ordered enough which is what they should have said, there aren't any, which is patently untrue because the dealers in Bradford has a whole row of them).

There is a shortage of all Honda models, we have had to wait 6+ months beyond the original delivery date for CB500X's and then got less than we ordered. If your local dealer are any good they will have sold out of their allocation which at the moment will be less than they order.
This is an industry wide problem affecting cars and bikes.

stinkwheel wrote:
Got a link or a part number for genuine Honda moped heated grips?
Talk to a Honda dealer.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This the latest kit but its quadrupled in price 08ESYK40HG19. Prepare for a heart attack.

The original kit was about £115.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:42 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Hotgrips-Essential-Scooter-Moped-Hot-Grips-Motorcycle-Heated-Grip-New-/125239084918?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2