BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trackday:Cadwell 11th October

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 15:50 - 11 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's lying, he could've made it there but he got in a heated argument with me because I rated one of his posts, then I rated another one and the shit hit the fan.

Hope you had a good day. Thumbs Up

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 21:57 - 11 Oct 2004    Post subject: The day. Reply with quote

Well it turned out to be a great day for me (in the end) but not such a great day for Nige. Read on (if you can be arsed Razz ).

Basic planning went to pot first thing in the morning when I realised I had to wake Keith up so I could move his car so I could get my bike out of the garage, no big deal but it meant me waking Keith up earlier than expected. Got my bike out, started first time like it should and I set off for Cadwell with everything I needed in my rucksack, was a little bit chilly but the weather reports promised some sunshine which I hoped would warm the day up a bit when it arrived. I got to Cadwell pretty early at 7:45am handed over my already completed indeminity forms and got my Cadwell bracelet and 'focused events' novice sticker. Nige turned up while I was in the queue and got his sticker too.
After we got our stickers Nige went to look at his hire bike, a gsxr600, looked okay (although it was yellow Razz ).
Track briefing was at 8:30 so we had time to get a sausage sarnie and a cup of tea beforehand Thumbs Up. After briefing, the novice group was called staright away for the first session I got to my bike started it and rode down to the paddock area. Nige was just starting his hire bike while I waited in the queue waiting to go out onto track when my bike just stalled. I pressed the starter and nothing happened, lights were still on but no started at all. At this point Keith noticed what had happened and came running over and helped me push the bike up the hill to the 'pit area'.
Keith got his tools out and we started taking the bike's fairing panels off and started waggling cables and pulling connectors apart. Eventually it was diagnosed that the problem was somewhere within the immobiliser, although loads of other problems were noted within the very shabby wiring loom including the fantastic fusebox assembly where there were 4 fuses but only one that was actually being used. Eventually having missed 2 novice sessions Keith had managed to get my bike started again by removing this little lot.
https://www.crotchrockets.escapethewomb.com/bcfstuff/removedwires.jpg (Ta very much Keith Karma)
Amazingly all of my electrics still worked, lights 'n everything.
As the second novice session ended nige came walking back up towards us and I pointed at my bike as it was running with a smile on my face, unfortunately Nige wasn't so happy and announced 'Well thats my day over'. He had crashed the hire bike going into the hairpin, losing the front end of his bike. He wasn't injured just his pride and his wallet as the hire bike had sustained some damage (broken rear brake lever scuffed fairing and reshaped crash bung) damage was pretty minimal but he wasn't allowed back out Mad . The rider following Nige had made the same mistake and crashed his ducati apparently spilling some fluid on the corner.
So now I could go out to enjoy a few sessions on track but would be alone without a trackday partner Sad . As always I went out there on my first couple of sessions feeling pretty slow, not sure whether it was the paranoia of Nige crashing on cold tyres or the fact that I hadn't had my knee down for quite a while but I just didn't feel 'up to speed'. Keith commented that I was noticably faster when I was riding the VFR400. I managed to get one more session in before the lunch break and had just started to regain some confidence and was overtaking a bit more. Had a spot of lunch and decided that we would attach an onboard camera for a couple of sessions. The first session went okay(ish) but when I returned I realised I couldn't of pressed record on the camera properly and it hadn't captured anything Doh! and so left the camera in place to try again in the next track session. This time I was right at the front of the novice group and lined up next to a speed triple-esque triumph (it was originally a sprint but had lost its fairings and gained some speed triple coolness). I set off at the front of the pack and everything just seemed to click I was constantly aware of the sound from the triumph somewhere behind me but never actually caught view of it. Within a couple of laps I had caught up with the back markers of the novice group and gained in confidence I overtook a few at a time (will have to get round to uploading this vid sometime Cool ) and was only overtaken by 3 or possibly 4 other riders in the whole session, 2 of these being the instructors. That was definitely the best fun I have had so far on a trackday and came back to the pit area smiling Mr. Green .
The last session again was pretty good until I caught up with a red/white and blue Fireblade, no matter what I just couldn't seem to get by him, I would gain on him goinmg into the corners but coming out I just couldn't seem to carry enough speed and he would get away again on the straights, although a nippy little rgv250 came past the both of us on the inside at Charlies. After 3 laps I finally got past the 'blade and got past the rgv again on the straight only for him to come past again in the next corner Embarassed .

In the end I had a fantastic time, even bought a picture from the track organised photographers. Many many thanks to Keith for sorting my bike out Thumbs Up (again) and still can't believe how unlucky Nige was to crash, especially so early in the day Thumbs Down .

Oh, and thanks to Keith for the scrummy cake that he brought us too.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 22:21 - 11 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, although shame about nige. Sad

There is nothing wrong with yellow gixxers dammit! Evil or Very Mad

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:17 - 12 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Good day, but the YZF definatly does not like Cadwell. Mind you it is now a bit lighter and has more space available under the seat.

Few pics here:-

https://www.traxpics.co.uk/Cadwell-20041011/

All the best

Keith

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:08 - 12 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who wouldn't allow Nige out again?

The organiser or the track bike hire company?

Stew

PostPosted: 23:37 - 12 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Who wouldn't allow Nige out again?

The organiser or the track bike hire company?

Well, kinda both, as Nige hired the bikes from focused events themselves. Perhaps if the bike was in fully rideable condition he could have gone back out. The bike wasn't that badly damaged at all, nothing a new foot brake lever won't sort anyway. I suspect though that Nige will be charged for a new lever, new crash bung and new lower panel (+paint). The annoying thing for Nige is that he still says he wasn't even riding fast or even very leant over and the front just went.
His shoulder is aching today but thats about it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:56 - 12 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the hire bike not one where he paid a deposit which you don't get back if you crash the bike as thats what all the hire companies I've seen have run as. Confused

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:33 - 13 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a Thumbs Down to focused events then.
I would expect them to carry spares with them (all the trackday hire places I've used have). And be able to fix it at the time. Ok, maybe charge him for the bits/get him to 'top-up' the deposit, but it does sound like they're abusing their position.

I'd reccomend he writes them a letter expressing his dissatisfaction.

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 11:01 - 13 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, you'd expect them to carry a selection of at least the basic spares, or have another bike that he could take out. Confused

Glad you had a good time though Stew. Thumbs Up

Stew

PostPosted: 12:41 - 13 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah totally agree. They originally said that the most he would pay should he crash would be the £400 ( Shocked )deposit that he had to pay but obviously that if he had a minor spill he would just have to pay for the repairs to the bike and nothing more. Nige is yet to find out exactly how much he has to pay, I think Keith took some pics of the damage so they don't try to claim anything too excessive.
Nige was contemplating riding back to fetch either his GS or M's VFR (although I doubt she would let him use it after he dropped the GSXR).
Like you say a bit of a Thumbs Down to focused events and their hire bikes. Although the rest of their services seemed okay and there were seven sessions for each group throught the day (although perhaps they were a little shorter to fit them all in Question )
Lesson learnt: dropping a hire bike on the second session of the day makes for an expensive 40 minutes on track (£80 for trackday+£170 for hire of GSXR + cost of repairs). Sad

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 13:25 - 13 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stew wrote:
dropping a hire bike on the second session of the day makes for an expensive 40 minutes on track (£80 for trackday+£170 for hire of GSXR + cost of repairs).

Doh, sounds like Focused Events' bike hire is to be avoided then Thumbs Down

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:01 - 13 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth writing to a sports-focused magazine (PB, now it's gone a bit anmby-pamby?) if they don't do anything.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2