Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help, how to cook pinto beans for Frijoli refritas

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Help, how to cook pinto beans for Frijoli refritas Reply with quote

I love refried beans but balk at paying £1:50 a tin for the old el paso brand in the supermarket. So ive been trying to make my own using dry pinto beans. I soak them overnight in unsalted water then cook them with sone finely chopped onion. The problem is they never seem to soften. Ive tried cooking them for hours, with and without salt and still i cant seem to get the beans to soften. Ive also tried using tinned beans and that works fine but the only stockist of the tinned variety is Asda and their £0:60 a tin. Im considering trying a pressure cooker but dont want to buy one just on an offchance that will work.

Any ideas? Anyone successfully made refried beans from dry beans?

Cheers

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:40 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not done refried beans but can confirm a pressure cooker is an ideal way of cooking dried pulses quickly and effectively. Been doing a lot of pressure cooking lately because Mrs stinkwheel is on a save the planet drive and it does 4 hours worth of simmering in about half an hour on the lowest gas setting and the dried pulses are both cheaper and have a lower transport footprint (and are tastier varieties, they select tough skinned varieties for the canning process). Makes a cracking channa masala.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Not done refried beans but can confirm a pressure cooker is an ideal way of cooking dried pulses quickly and effectively. Been doing a lot of pressure cooking lately because Mrs stinkwheel is on a save the planet drive and it does 4 hours worth of simmering in about half an hour on the lowest gas setting and the dried pulses are both cheaper and have a lower transport footprint (and are tastier varieties, they select tough skinned varieties for the canning process). Makes a cracking channa masala.

Thanks. Im thinking it may now be the time to go blow my nectar points on a pressure cooker ive seen at Sainsbury's. I curry chickpeas regularly and may do those from dry now as ive also noticed the canned variety are goinf up in price.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://vegfaqs.com/beans-wont-soften/

Incidentally
what them muricans call baking soda is what we call Bi-carbonate of soda.
what we call Baking soda is a mixture Bi-carb and Cream of tartar
Alkaline and acid powders which when moisture is added release CO2
to make stuff rise

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill try the baking soda thing and report back

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

to make stuff rise

Hand Hand
Beg to differ.
Challenge me with factual links until you are blue in the face, but I come from a family of TWO sets of bakers at one point or another, so I won't be challenged on this Folded arms

I believe that mixture is called Baking powder, not baking soda which is universally the name for Bicarb.

I never did get round to working out what cream of tartar was, but its absolutely necessary for pikelets, as per the Edmonds cookbook, a battered and stained* copy of which every woman in NZ owns at least one copy.

*encrusted also, with a thousand fingertips smeared with ginger crunch icing mixture Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:01 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I never did get round to working out what cream of tartar was, but its absolutely necessary for pikelets, as per the Edmonds cookbook, a battered and stained* copy of which every woman in NZ owns at least one copy.

It's tartaric acid, a fruit acid. When you mix bicarbonate of soda with an acid, it fizzes up and produces gassy bubbles which is how baking powder (a mix of bicarb and cream of tartar) makes things rise. They don't react (much) until they get wet which is why you can put them both in the same tub.

Edit: f we're getting technical. Bicarbonate of soda is now more properly called sodium hydrogen carbonate.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood all that. Thank you Mr. Green

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Help, how to cook pinto beans for Frijoli refritas Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I love refried beans but balk at paying £1:50 a tin for the old el paso brand in the supermarket. So ive been trying to make my own using dry pinto beans. I soak them overnight in unsalted water then cook them with sone finely chopped onion. The problem is they never seem to soften. Ive tried cooking them for hours, with and without salt and still i cant seem to get the beans to soften. Ive also tried using tinned beans and that works fine but the only stockist of the tinned variety is Asda and their £0:60 a tin. Im considering trying a pressure cooker but dont want to buy one just on an offchance that will work.

Any ideas? Anyone successfully made refried beans from dry beans?

Cheers

Have you tried soaking them in salted water instead?
And *then* experimenting with the salted/unsalted water for boiling, too.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just remembered I use bicarbonate of soda when soaking peas overnight prior to mushy peas manufacture. Dohhh

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Help, how to cook pinto beans for Frijoli refritas Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Have you tried soaking them in salted water instead?
And *then* experimenting with the salted/unsalted water for boiling, too.

Ive tried salted soak and non salted soak and cook with no discernible difference in outcome. The googleneurowebofbullshit has conflicting advice. I think the bicarb option or pressure cooking is probably going to be what gets me results.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:39 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Ive just remembered I use bicarbonate of soda when soaking peas overnight prior to mushy peas manufacture. Dohhh

It's mostly what's in the "quick soak" tablet you get in dried peas.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking I may have to experiment with this mushy peas thingie. The senior consort has taken to treating me to a fish supper now and then, and it does include this rather questionable item.

Might try my hand at making them a few times and then inflict it upon him on some weekend in the very near future Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Thinking I may have to experiment with this mushy peas thingie. The senior consort has taken to treating me to a fish supper now and then, and it does include this rather questionable item.

Might try my hand at making them a few times and then inflict it upon him on some weekend in the very near future Laughing

Food of the gods when done right.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 18 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
WD Forte wrote:

to make stuff rise

Hand Hand
Beg to differ.
Challenge me with factual links until you are blue in the face, but I come from a family of TWO sets of bakers at one point or another, so I won't be challenged on this Folded arms

I believe that mixture is called Baking powder, not baking soda which is universally the name for Bicarb.

*encrusted also, with a thousand fingertips smeared with ginger crunch icing mixture Laughing

Yep
Yer right, I stand corrupted
always get them mixed up
wasn't at school the day they did chemicals n stuff

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:56 - 19 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
They don't react (much) until they get wet which is why you can put them both in the same tub

Pretty sure I have heard of that video!

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 19 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to this one, but we always make our own refried beans for the very reason the OP is interested; it's much much cheaper!

So, this is what I do (and yes, you will need a pressure cooker - possible to do without, but you'll be there for hours - buy one anyway, they're fantastic and much underrated):

500g bag of dried pinto beans, empty into the pressure cooker and rinse with water, then add in boiling water plus enough to go a few inches above the beans. A few tablespoons of oil (helps stop frothing while boiling) then cook on high pressure for 25 minutes (this will be a very low hob setting once it's up to pressure). Release pressure and check the beans - they should be very easy to squash against the side of the pan, softer than baked beans. If not, lid back on and pressure cook for another 5-10 minutes and check again. I find pulses can vary from batch to batch so the cooking time can change.

Once cooked, leave to one side and in a large pan (big enough to contain the beans) heat up some sunflower oil, then add in 5 whole but peeled garlic cloves. Fry until they're golden all over, then mash into the oil with the back of a spoon. Add in 2 tsp of ground cumin, 1 tsp chilli powder and fry for 30 seconds, then start adding the beans in with a slotted spoon (don't worry about some liquid being carried over). Once they're all in, start breaking them up with a spoon - if they're well cooked, this should happen fairly naturally with stirring. Add in the remaining liquid as necessary to get consistency you want, then season with salt to taste. Bingo!

Tip: like most cooked pulses than have been mashed, they will thicken substantially the first time they cool (never understood why this happens though), so keep some of the liquid aside so you can add a bit in if you are keeping some mix back. This will make the equivalent of 3-4 tins of refried beans; I freeze it in plastic takeaway trays and defrost in the microwave when I want to use them.

Edit: should note that if you're buying a pressure cooker, volumes are misleading. They're quoted as a 6 litre, but that's the brim capacity and you should never cook pulses more than a 1/3 of the way up the cooker (to allow headspace for foam/expansion as you don't want the valve blocking!). So always go a bit bigger than you want. We have a 6 litre and it's a good size.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:21 - 19 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy who knows his beans! Very Happy

My pot method is to keep it as simple as possible. I sweat down finely chopped onion in a good glug of olive oil and a couple of garlic cloves with ground pepper, about 1 small onion to a tins worth of bean. Then add the beans with a level teaspoon of smoked paprika and stir/mash until a satisfying consistancy, salt to taste. In the past ive cooked down the onion in bacon fat which is great but i dont eat bacon any more so hence the smoked paprika which works just as well.

This guy is good for all things Tex-mex, though how he isn't the size of a house i dont know.

https://youtu.be/iC5mR5s70bE

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 19 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never add salt until the end if cooking dried pulses as it inhibits their cooking. Tinned pulses frequently have a firming agent in them to stop them from disintegrating in the tin, great for consumers who want a tin of whole beans, but again it makes cooking them down harder.

We cook quite a lot of pulses (particularly for Indian food) and dried with a pressure cooker is definitely the way to go. Dried pulses are generally much cheaper and with a pressure cooker aren't much hassle to cook really. Red lentils into dal; 15-20 minutes. Pinto beans 25-35 minutes. Chickpeas 20 minutes. Etc. etc., plus you can use a pressure cooker for other stuff, so ours (Prestige Smartplus) came with a trivet and steaming basket, so things like beetroot can be cooked easily too. They're also a good heavy duty pan for other uses as they will have a heavy bottom and solid construction, so useful for cooking larger batches of anything (we make our own stock sometimes and use it for that). About £60 I think and they'll last forever. Use less energy too, the hob will be on lower than with a normal saucepan and cooking times are around a third of normal.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 19 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note.

I like lentils too and have bags of red and green types, but last time
I cooked red lentils they foamed up like crazy!
foamy scum crept out all over the cooker top
Also they ended up a very pale yellow 'slosh'.
did I over cook them?

Incidentally, never ever had a pressure cooker, but now seriously
considering getting one

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:30 - 19 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to wash your lentils before cooking. Also bring them up to the boil and skim the scum off the top. Frothy scum is a normal feature of cooking red lentils in particular.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 19 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus a tablespoon of oil helps reduce foaming.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 19 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Also they ended up a very pale yellow 'slosh'.
did I over cook them?

Incidentally, never ever had a pressure cooker, but now seriously
considering getting one

Depends; lentils can be al dente through to cooked so much they’ve virtually dissolved. Up to you how far you take them. With a pressure cooker though you can’t see them and they cook much faster so you have to watch timings a bit more closely but it’s no bother really.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 19 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

wasn't at school the day they did chemicals n stuff

Strangely, I don't remember being there for the explosives lesson, or even the fireworks lesson. Bit annoyed about that.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:44 - 19 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Strangely, I don't remember being there for the explosives lesson, or even the fireworks lesson. Bit annoyed about that.

Our chemistry teacher could always be persuaded to demonstrate a bit of highly energetic chemistry if you gave him enough of a reason to make it into a teaching point. This usually took a bit of homework. "Sir. I've been reading up about the reduction of iron oxide using a more reactive metal. Would I be correct in saying that because the molar mass of aluminim is roughly half that if iron, you'd be able to reduce 2kg of iron by using one kg of aluminium?"

Cue 3kg of thermite being set off in the bus park and the resulting iron metal being seperated with a magnet and weighed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2