Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Care (breakdown cover) with new bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:43 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Honda Care (breakdown cover) with new bikes Reply with quote

I recently bought a new Honda Vision 110 from Padgetts in Batley. All new Hondas come with a two year breakdown policy which I believe is with the AA. However I have received no documentation regarding this and its been about six weeks since I got the bike now. I have contacted Padgetts several times about this but have had nothing back from them.

I even contacted the AA myself and there is no record on their database of me or my new bike. Can anyone shed some light on this? Should I have documentation or is it just a case of calling the number on the back of the service book if you break down? Is it maybe separate from the AA? I am about to go off in the motorhome with the bike for a long trip and I want to make sure I definitely have breakdown cover in place which of course I have paid for with the new bike.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:55 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you should be talking to Padgetts of Batley.?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:06 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... It won't cover the motorhome!

I had it with my SV650 and yes it was a separate thing, it didn't need to be registered you just called if you needed it. It ONLY covered the SV, and I don't think it included home start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Surely you should be talking to Padgetts of Batley.?

Oh I have tried. Called them and sent a couple of emails to be told they would look into it. Never heard anything back. Cant say I have been impressed with them from the start to be honest.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Umm... It won't cover the motorhome!

I had it with my SV650 and yes it was a separate thing, it didn't need to be registered you just called if you needed it. It ONLY covered the SV, and I don't think it included home start.

LOL! Cheers Laughing Van is covered for sure elsewhere!

Ill maybe just call the number on the back of the handbook and pretend I have broken down just to test the system. Laughing

I have another policy for the car which also covers bikes so at a push I could use that. I just expected some documentation but if there isnt any you would think Padgetts would have known that and told me.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:55 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone Hondacare Assistance and ask them?

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Just tried but the only options are 1 for if you have broken down, 2 if you have been in an accident etc.

However I found this which pretty much confirms any new Honda is covered from the date of registration.

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/insurance/hondacare-assistance.html

Pretty sure Padgetts told me it was AA cover but they also said I would get documentation in due course. You would think they would know that its just the standard cover included with any new Honda.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I heard most dealerships require you to call them if broken down and they will sort it with the breakdown company. The cover is probably just in their name. It's not something I'd want to rely on when stuck at the side of a road.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d suggest that you stop being nice and go to Padgetts of Batley and start banging on the table until you get an answer!

fw750x
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:43 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever get Paperwork READ THE SMALL PRINT , About 4 years ago i got a Flat Tyre ( Tubed Tyre ) around 60 Miles from Home on a Sunday Afternoon. I rang the Breakdown Number ( This was through my Insurance Cover ) So much the Same i would think, The Guy arrived about 30 minutes Later Loaded the Bike up and headed off towards Home Happy Days i thought, A couple of miles up the road the Guy Says Of Couse you know this Only Covers you for the first 10 Miles , And if i wanted to get the other 50 Miles it was Going to be £ 1 Per Mile to my Home and then Another 40 Miles until he got home Total Cost £ 90 . I got him to Stop when the 10 miles were up and went to a Random House to see if i could park my Bike there and get the Bus Home and Return in my Van , The Householder Said no Problem so i unloaded the Bike and got the Bus Home . I seem to remember that the Breakdown cover does not cover you if you are either 5 or 10 miles from home Make sure to read the SMALL PRINT And dont get Caught out.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:08 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
I'm pretty sure I heard most dealerships require you to call them if broken down and they will sort it with the breakdown company. The cover is probably just in their name. It's not something I'd want to rely on when stuck at the side of a road.

I've never heard of that before. It would be very limiting as you'd be screwed if you broke down outside of their opening hours.

Hondacare Assistance is run by / provided by the AA so it's not really any different to having an AA breakdown policy.
barryd wrote:
Ste wrote:

Just tried but the only options are 1 for if you have broken down, 2 if you have been in an accident etc.

Meh, if there's an option for customer service then go for that, otherwise I'd just choose of them any of them and explain that you want to check that your policy is running as you've not had any paperwork and the dealership seem to be clueless etc etc.

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ayrton wrote:

I've never heard of that before. It would be very limiting as you'd be screwed if you broke down outside of their opening hours.

Hondacare Assistance is run by / provided by the AA so it's not really any different to having an AA breakdown policy.
barryd wrote:
Ste wrote:

Meh, if there's an option for customer service then go for that, otherwise I'd just choose of them any of them and explain that you want to check that your policy is running as you've not had any paperwork and the dealership seem to be clueless etc etc.

There are a couple of PDFs at the bottom of the list in the link I posted earlier.

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/insurance/hondacare-assistance.html

It is clear that you dont call the dealer but call their recovery helpline. Its sounds like full UK and Europe coverage. Ill do what you said though tomorrow and ring the number anyway but there is no customer services option.

So reading from that its any new Honda bike as soon as it is registered should be automatically covered but I will ring them anyway. I am not expecting to breakdown on a new Honda but its important for me that I am covered properly. Im disabled so if I lose my wheels Im basically fucked. Laughing

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 21 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoned the Honda Care assist helpline. Pressed 1 to pretend I had broken down. It said Welcome to the AA breakdown (so thats that one confirmed) and I explained to the lady who took the call my predicament and apologised for ringing the breakdown number but she was very helpful. Took my reg and yes I am covered.

Should have just done this in the first place but it was Padgetts that said I would receive documentation.
Thanks for all the replies.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:50 - 21 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a number of new bikes and usually the breakdown cover comes with a card like an AA Membership card.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:51 - 21 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

fw750x wrote:
If you ever get Paperwork READ THE SMALL PRINT , About 4 years ago i got a Flat Tyre ( Tubed Tyre ) around 60 Miles from Home on a Sunday Afternoon. I rang the Breakdown Number ( This was through my Insurance Cover ) So much the Same i would think, The Guy arrived about 30 minutes Later Loaded the Bike up and headed off towards Home Happy Days i thought, A couple of miles up the road the Guy Says Of Couse you know this Only Covers you for the first 10 Miles , And if i wanted to get the other 50 Miles it was Going to be £ 1 Per Mile to my Home and then Another 40 Miles until he got home Total Cost £ 90 . I got him to Stop when the 10 miles were up and went to a Random House to see if i could park my Bike there and get the Bus Home and Return in my Van , The Householder Said no Problem so i unloaded the Bike and got the Bus Home . I seem to remember that the Breakdown cover does not cover you if you are either 5 or 10 miles from home Make sure to read the SMALL PRINT And dont get Caught out.

So it only goes 10 miles and only if you're more than 10 miles from home to start with?

Doesn't sound very useful to me!

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 21 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
I've bought a number of new bikes and usually the breakdown cover comes with a card like an AA Membership card.

Were these Hondas? Padgetts did tell me I would get something but after mentioning it at least twice to them they just seem to have given up, hence me finding out for myself.

fw750x
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:28 - 21 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP Thats what i Thought , I suspected there would be a Catch Because you Dont Get Anything for Free . Make sure to read the SMALL PRINT .

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:32 - 21 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
Were these Hondas? Padgetts did tell me I would get something but after mentioning it at least twice to them they just seem to have given up, hence me finding out for myself.

Nope, several Yamahas and Suzukis but they all came with a breakdown card.

I doubt that Honda is any different, more likely that your dealer has ballsed up.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:01 - 21 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Honda UK to ask them to send you the stuff as Padgetts are being useless.

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/contact-us.html

barryd
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 22 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Contact Honda UK to ask them to send you the stuff as Padgetts are being useless.

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/contact-us.html

Cheers. Done.

I actually know personally one of the senior managers at UK Honda, maybe I should have contacted him. Actually I think he may be a director.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 22 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
I actually know personally one of the senior managers at UK Honda, maybe I should have contacted him. Actually I think he may be a director.

Is he a mate? If he was a mate, you would have been close enough just to have rang him in the first place. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1