Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

T160 Trident running issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Waller
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:33 - 22 Apr 2022    Post subject: T160 Trident running issues Reply with quote

Hi all. I am a new member and have just purchased a Triumph T160 Trident and it does not run very well. It starts from cold great and ticks over fine and when you rev it no exhaust smoke and a very quiet engine. And when you ride it all is well untill you have done a mile or so and it warms up. Then it lags when you open it up and gets progressively worse as the engine has been running for 10 minutes or so. It starts holding back and some popping from one of the exhausts. And if I switch it off it is very difficult to start again but will fire up straight away once it has cooled. I took the air filter out which was oiled up and the plugs are always sooty after being cleaned and ridden a couple of miles. It has only done 1000 miles in the last 15 years and 16000 in total. Any ideas??? Please! Carbs/fuel or electrical coils/plugs/leads??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx Pete.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 23 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi new member, difficult one this,
""It starts from cold great and ticks over fine and when you rev it no exhaust smoke and a very quiet engine.""
""the plugs are always sooty"".
Q, are all the chokes working / shutting off properly ?
Q, when was the last time the valve clearances were checked?
Could be a restriction in the exhaust system?

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:45 - 23 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Pete,
Three Mk1 Amal concentrics- Sounds like the carbs need a good strip down and clean , this is a job for " Someone who knows what they are doing". I think unless you have a British bike background , you need to join a classic bike club and start asking around. I'm not sure about the T160 , but the T 150 was set up to run on 5* petrol so at the very least you will need premium fuels.

Also check the tappets , you note that the '' engine is very quiet'' it could well be the valve clearances are tight, and closing up to nothing as the bike warms up. In fact get that done/ do it before looking at the carbs, I reckon.

A lot of this page applies to your bike too https://classic-motorbikes.net/triumph-trident-t150/

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 23 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

start simple. make sure the choke cable is adjusted properly and that the air filter and airbox are unrestricted. Sounds like you are running rich when the engine warms up.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:58 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be wet-sumping and blowing a load of oil through the breather?

Waller
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:25 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: T160 Trident running issues Reply with quote

Thx for all your replies and will check tappets first then lean the carbs a little with the air screw and try new plugs. Will let you know how I get on!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:33 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duff condensers breaking down and causing a poor/intermittant spark when they get hot are another thing to consider. See if the points faces look scorched.

Waller
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:43 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: T160 Trident running issues Reply with quote

The bike has electronic ignition....does that mean it still has condensers??
I am going to do the tappets tomo and try new plugs and weaken the mixture slightly on all 3 carbs as the plugs are always sooty after a couple of miles. Didnt think about condensers:)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:07 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: T160 Trident running issues Reply with quote

Waller wrote:
The bike has electronic ignition....does that mean it still has condensers??
I am going to do the tappets tomo and try new plugs and weaken the mixture slightly on all 3 carbs as the plugs are always sooty after a couple of miles. Didnt think about condensers:)

No, I was assuming it was standard.

Which electronic ignition? If it's a Mk3 or earlier boyer, they can be quite fussy about having a well charged battery.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:54 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's done under 1000 miles in 15 years, it needs a very major service and a hard ride. If it's still misbehaving after that, start doing diagnosis.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1