BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Annual MOT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Annual MOT Reply with quote

Maybe if not many the miles covered per year they could be extended.
A lot of bikes don't even do 5000miles/year especially if mainly used in summer - so at times the annual MOT seems almost farcical.

https://news.sky.com/story/annual-mot-could-be-scrapped-amid-cost-of-living-crisis-12599848
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern cars? Yearly MoTs are pretty pointless. I'd probably change it from 3 to 5 years for the first.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Modern cars? Yearly MoTs are pretty pointless. I'd probably change it from 3 to 5 years for the first.

But if you can afford a brand new (or nearly new car), saving £35 a year is going to be the least of your worries

You can't plead food/fuel poverty with a brand new car sitting in your driveway Rolling Eyes

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Annual MOT Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Maybe if not many the miles covered per year they could be extended.
A lot of bikes don't even do 5000miles/year especially if mainly used in summer - so at times the annual MOT seems almost farcical.

https://news.sky.com/story/annual-mot-could-be-scrapped-amid-cost-of-living-crisis-12599848

Important safety components can still fail, parts rust and seize, tyres crack, etc.

An annual check is hardly onerous.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the boat world it's every 4 years and by god there are some floating disaster areas out there after 4 years of no checks.

OK, cars are not quite the same but you only have to look at stupid things like bald tyres which some people (wifie included) never check,

I think yearly is fine.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is it won't be long before garages are complaining about going under due to reduced business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The government have to bring down the cost of living without impacting their chums' bank accounts... no mention of cutting the green energy levy Sad

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 21:43 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No form of MOT here in Canada for anything but HGVs which have a yearly safety check unless it for farm use.

You do see a lot more shit boxes on the road but in the city's the police will pull them over and take a car off the road if a obvious safety issue is present.

One less thing along with no road tax to worry about.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:35 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how kind of our government to ease up on the stealth tax.

Knock a few cents of fuel duty ya gay bastirts.

The real cost of mot tests are shite-heaps that need repairs coz they're fcukin' death traps.

Typical Neejrk Idiotic notion of people who are not of this world.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Oh how kind of our government to ease up on the stealth tax.

Knock a few cents of fuel duty ya gay bastirts.

The real cost of mot tests are shite-heaps that need repairs coz they're fcukin' death traps.

Typical Neejrk Idiotic notion of people who are not of this world.

this is the same people that gave us the smart motorway.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Can you imagine the state of the average white van or polish delivery vehicle after 5 years? 4 bald tyres and the spare, brakes down to the pistons, 3 of the doors held on with selotape, and a half mile trail of thick black smoke.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A saving of £40 a year, it costs me almost double that to fill the tank of my car now so it's hardly going to make an impact Laughing Why not lower vehicle tax instead since that wont have an additional impact of more dangerous shitboxes being on the road.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:59 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The pass rate for cars went up in 2020 – jumping to 76.2% from 74.9% in 2019.

Looking specifically at newer cars (aged 3-5 years) the rate went up to 88.6% from 87.4%."

https://www.bymiles.co.uk/insure/magazine/mot-data-research-and-analysis/#MOT-data-increasing-pass-rates

Rain

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:16 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Looking specifically at newer cars (aged 3-5 years) the rate went up to 88.6% from 87.4%."

https://www.bymiles.co.uk/insure/magazine/mot-data-research-and-analysis/#MOT-data-increasing-pass-rates

Rain

Only because everyone was working from home/under house arrest, and not putting much mileage on their vehicles

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Ste wrote:

Rain

Only because everyone was working from home/under house arrest, and not putting much mileage on their vehicles

It's high mileage / cost sensitive vehicles where the real concern is. It's deliveroo, pizza delivery cars, vans, lorries etc. For bikes it should at least be tied to the make of vehicle, some chinese bikes would rust to dust in 5 years.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

It's high mileage / cost sensitive vehicles where the real concern is. It's deliveroo, pizza delivery cars, vans, lorries etc. For bikes it should at least be tied to the make of vehicle, some chinese bikes would rust to dust in 5 years.

Way to complicated for DVLA and co. The ANPR system would probably have a meltdown as well.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Spacker is a 66 plate. It was due it's first MOT in October 19.
Due to many reasons I had to lock it away in a shed under a dustsheet for a couple of years. It's steaming towards 6 years
old now. About 2500 miles on the odometer, my hope is to get it back on the road pretty soon as my new shed is almost finished.
It's barely run in really and had new tyres just before going away for a long old nap. I don't anticipate a fail unless the exhaust
is too fruity for the tester. Just as an aside, the left hand heated grip has come loose, is that a fail too? Haven't really MOT'd a bike before.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
The Spacker is a 66 plate. It was due it's first MOT in October 19.
Due to many reasons I had to lock it away in a shed under a dustsheet for a couple of years. It's steaming towards 6 years
old now. About 2500 miles on the odometer, my hope is to get it back on the road pretty soon as my new shed is almost finished.
It's barely run in really and had new tyres just before going away for a long old nap. I don't anticipate a fail unless the exhaust
is too fruity for the tester. Just as an aside, the left hand heated grip has come loose, is that a fail too? Haven't really MOT'd a bike before.

Grips need to be secure - better get the glue out Smile

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:20 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the big thing about cars/vehicles was that they were ‘polluting’. So only emissions test every two years?

As for boats vs cars, in testing terms, if you could get a narrow boat up to 90mph in four lane traffic then I reckon you would want them tested more frequently Very Happy

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

I figured as much, makes sense. It's a heated grip, any recommendations for which glue will likely work?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:36 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Evostick, but I don't let it get tacky before I put the grip on.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Islander wrote:

I figured as much, makes sense. It's a heated grip, any recommendations for which glue will likely work?

The Oxford ones come with a tube of superglue.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some special grip glue once. It was just contact adhesive as far as I could tell. Just assemble while wet and leave for an hour or so.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:33 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

The Oxford ones come with a tube of superglue.

It isn't so much super in this application but mediocre at best.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
I thought the big thing about cars/vehicles was that they were ‘polluting’. So only emissions test every two years?

As for boats vs cars, in testing terms, if you could get a narrow boat up to 90mph in four lane traffic then I reckon you would want them tested more frequently Very Happy

Depends if its salt or fresh water Thinking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2