Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bus lane petition

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Bus lane petition Reply with quote

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/614294

Probably wouldn't save me any time, but as an insurance policy if I ever strayed into one by mistake, its a no brainer.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the 901st to sign even though I am in Scotland and they restricted it to England. Always happy to help you Southerners out though Laughing

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have signed it, but where i live, we don't even have any bus lanes, and the next biggest city i know of with them, you are allowed in them anyway

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst thing is you often aren't sure whether you can or can't, it can even vary on one stretch of road and by day of the week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

1107 th

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed.

Heading into town 95% of the bus lanes allow motorcycles (thanks, TFL) except Lambeth where a few hundred yards here and there do not... on the same fricking road! Evil or Very Mad

Lambeth Council's line is that somehow the laws of the universe are slightly different on the patch of tarmac they're in charge of Rolling Eyes

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 01 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, the inconsistency is what makes it a win for the councils that want to tax you by stealth.

Ericck
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 05:22 - 02 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

1681 Smile
Previous Bikes: Yamaha FS1E, Mobylette Moped Thingy, Suzuki GS125, Kawasaki Zephyr 550, Kawasaki Zephyr 750, Kawasaki ER500, Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda CBR600F, Triumph Street Triple 675, Suzuki V Strom 650.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 02 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 02 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

1818 Wink

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

1920.. Thumbs Up

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:36 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

1987 Thumbs Up

The wife always says I am so 1980's - turns out she was right all along.

Off for a can of Quatro and a tug thinking of Maria Whittaker Very Happy

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbrand42 wrote:

Good lad, Shandy Bass & Linda Lusardi for me. Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
gbrand42 wrote:

Good lad, Shandy Bass & Linda Lusardi for me. Wink

Whatever happened to doing a solid line of Nigella Lawson's arse these days?

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 10 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to 3547 now

Most of the bus lanes near me, and on my route into London already allow bikes, but there are a few odd exceptions.

Like the road South from Euston, past Holborn down to Aldwych. That bus lane is taxis and bicycles only.... oh and buses... Why no bikes?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 10 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:
Why no bikes?

Greed.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's gone over the 10,000 signatures mark, so by their own rules a response (below) has been made by the DfT. I doubt that getting 100,000 signatures, and the subsequently triggered 'debate' in parliament would achieve anything more than the 'local rules for local people' lip service already given.

‐------‐---‐‐------------------------------

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Require local authorities in England to permit motorcycles in bus lanes”.

Government responded:

The Department already prescribes traffic signs that enable local authorities to allow motorcycles to use bus lanes during their hours of operation. Whether to do so is a decision for them.

The Department recognises that motorcycling has become increasingly popular, but it should be acknowledged however that not all bus lanes are suitable for motorcycle access. It is entirely a matter for each traffic authority to decide if this appropriate.

In doing so, they have to bear in mind the needs of other road users. In the national bus strategy Bus Back Better, the Government set out its strategy for improving bus services, which includes an expectation on authorities to provide more and better bus priority, including bus lanes. ‘Gear Change: A bold vision for cycling and walking’ is clear that providing more and better cycling facilities, including joint bus and cycle corridors, is key to delivering the ambition for 50% of short urban journeys to be walked or cycled. The focus on improving active travel and public transport will help deliver many benefits, including contributing to better public health, decarbonisation of transport, reduced congestion and better air quality.

To help local authorities, the Department has published the Traffic Advisory Leaflet (TAL) 2/07: ‘The use of bus lanes by motorcycles’. Guidance on signing is also provided in Chapter 3 of the Traffic Signs Manual, available at www.gov.uk/government/publications/traffic-signs-manual

Anyone that would like to request motorcycle use in bus lanes in England should approach their local traffic authority.
TAL 2/07 can be viewed at: www.gov.uk/government/publications/traffic-advisory-leaflets-1989-to-2009.

All traffic signs and road markings placed on a public highway must be either prescribed in the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016, as amended, (TSRGD) or authorised by the Secretary of State. Since 2011, TSRGD has prescribed signs that permit motorcycle users to use bus lanes. TSRGD can be viewed at: www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/contents/made.

Traffic authorities have a statutory responsibility to provide traffic management schemes for their roads (under section 122 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984) therefore they are free to make their own decisions about the streets under their care, provided they take account of the relevant legislation. It is entirely a matter for individual authorities to decide on the nature and scope of policies and to balance the needs of residents, emergency services, local businesses and those who work in and visit the areas.

Department for Transport

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:25 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr You'll have to hassle them on a council by council basis Sad Great, except I don't pay council tax in Lambeth so why would they give to shits about my opinion?

jonquirk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical civil service response, aimed at appearing to respond while avoid actually having to do anything. It completely ignores the premise of the petition, that is, a plea for a unified approach to allowing motorbikes in bus lanes countrywide. Instead the response tells us what we can already do, which would require some interested parties to lobby every single council on an individual basis in the hope of achieving the same thing. Of course, it would be a never-ending task as some councils could be lobbied by other interest groups to reverse the decision.

Guildford recently changed its rush hour bus lanes to 24/7 operation. I have seen no sign of a 24/7 bus service to use them though.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:36 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a civil servant myself, I know whether I can ride I a bus lane because of the fucking huge blue sign at the beginning of it.

If there is another fucking huge sign later on, look to see if bikes are still on it.

Ffs.

Highways are devolved to local government cause national level governments should be dealing with things that affect the whole nation.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:47 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonquirk wrote:
Instead the response tells us what we can already do, which would require some interested parties to lobby every single council on an individual basis in the hope of achieving the same thing.

What did your local traffic authority say when you emailed them about motorcycles using bus lanes?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
As a civil servant myself, I know whether I can ride I a bus lane because of the fucking huge blue sign at the beginning of it.

If there is another fucking huge sign later on, look to see if bikes are still on it.

Ffs.

Highways are devolved to local government cause national level governments should be dealing with things that affect the whole nation.

Councils fucking with bikers to make money is acceptable to you?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

4:20 solves the issue.

jonquirk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:15 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
jonquirk wrote:
Instead the response tells us what we can already do, which would require some interested parties to lobby every single council on an individual basis in the hope of achieving the same thing.

What did your local traffic authority say when you emailed them about motorcycles using bus lanes?

I only started learning to ride a motorbike in May 2021. The decision to alter the bus lanes in Guildford was made in 2019; at that time I had no interest in the subject. I’m not confident of receiving a helpful response now, given their preference for installing more traffic calming rather than repairing the potholes.

Points about signage are missing the point. The purpose of the petition was to gain a unified response across the country to allow motorbikes to use all bus lanes, not just ones that some local authority or other has decided to allow.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2