Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki quitting MotoGP

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Suzuki quitting MotoGP Reply with quote

https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/suzuki-to-quit-motogp-at-the-end-of-2022/10268123/

Shocked

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always seen MotoGP as a money pit for the teams. Makes no financial sense to me at all. There's fuck all money in it.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
I've always seen MotoGP as a money pit for the teams. Makes no financial sense to me at all. There's fuck all money in it.

In terms of easily quantifiable cost vs benefit, you're right, and it's true of almost all racing.

Obviously technologies developed for racing do sometimes get used in commercial products, but mainly the benefits are in prestige/name recognition etc.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to be "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" ... not sure how much that holds true these days. Now (for the road) it seems you can't sell anything even close to what's on the track due to fvcking emission laws.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Used to be "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" ... not sure how much that holds true these days. Now (for the road) it seems you can't sell anything even close to what's on the track due to fvcking emission laws.

Ducati sold the Desmosedici (£40k 2006) and Honda the RC213V (£137k 2016). Both as realistically close as you could get to what was on track at the time.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes the least sense to me, is KTM being in MotoGP, at least Suzuki have a long history of Sportsbikes, that, like said above, the techonology can filter down into (like Ducatis V4 Panigale, which i believe shares a lot of DNA with it's MotoGP cousin), KTM predominanlty sell offroad and naked bikes, i don't see how they benefit from being there

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
What makes the least sense to me, is KTM being in MotoGP, at least Suzuki have a long history of Sportsbikes

You could equally argue the opposite though, that Honda/Suzuki/Ducati etc. already have a long history of making sportsbikes and are well known for it, so why bother? Suzuki not being in MotoGP for years didn't seem to do them any harm really.

KTM on the other hand, don't have a rep for making full on sportsbikes (the RC8 being the exception) so if they want to improve their reputation in the field of sportsbikes, MotoGP would be the ideal place to do it.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty gutted at this. I don't understand why? Seems a really good marketing tool if nothing else. The cost of running MotoGp bike is surely relatively small in comparison to the capital gained from the quantity of motorcycles they sell worlwide.

Pissed off really, the more manufacturers that do MotoGP the better. Damnit I want a Royal Enfield on the starting grid.

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:29 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe they will shift to electric bike races?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
In terms of easily quantifiable cost vs benefit, you're right, and it's true of almost all racing.

Obviously technologies developed for racing do sometimes get used in commercial products, but mainly the benefits are in prestige/name recognition etc.

I don't think there's much intangible benefit to it: marketing, goodwill, etc. I don't think any cunt buys their next bike based on which manufacturer wins in MotoGP anymore.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
I don't think any cunt buys their next bike based on which manufacturer wins in MotoGP anymore.

I think you're right, but keep it quiet, I'm enjoying watching it.

In the lower levels of racing I'm pretty sure even the sponsors know they're not getting any benefits out of it. "Dave's Motor Factors" isn't going to be getting any business because they've paid for a sticker on a BSB rookie's lid. I'm assuming they must do it because they want to support the rider and/or racing generally.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Supposedly the sports bikes category is dead and they aren’t popular enough to influence company marketing considerations, although I’ve chuckled when the journos have backtracked and lauded Yamaha’s new R7 and Aprilia’s RS660 which can’t match a 90’s 600cc IL4. Road-going litre bikes have long since surpassed any realistic power and handling limitations, in fact they're reigned in by electronics which themselves have peaked in road-going terms. I can’t see how further racing developments can influence road bikes unless you’re keen on wings and brake lever covers. The ‘development’ racing justification has probably become redundant.

Kawasaki, the smallest bike manufacturer, albeit part of one of the largest engineering firms (cranes, planes, bridges, you name it they make it) haven’t been in MotoGP since 2008/9. I don’t think their bike arm has suffered. However, I’d still like to see all manufacturers in the premier class of racing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1