Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBT motorbike questions?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Randomperson
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:01 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: CBT motorbike questions? Reply with quote

Hello there,

i want to get into motorbiking and i've already got my provisional a couple years ago. I know the first step you have to do is complete your CBT (Compulsory basic training) however i have a few questions before booking one.

1. My glasses prescription recentely changed, i know legally eyesight requirment is to be able to read a number plate from 20.5 metres. i was checking the other day to see if i could and i was able to see a car number plate from 5 car parking spaces. is this around 20.5 metres. Also when you get asked is it exactly 20.5 metres? and i'm guessing you only get one chance? I can see perfectly fine also when cycling on roads. With number plates do they ask you to read a car or motorbike number plate or does it depend?

2. Is it better to learn manual or automatic? if you learn manual with no experience how hard is it to get to grips with the clutch and gears?

3. My closest training centre, bikes and gear are borrowed (Helmet, motorbike/moped gloves, jacket, hi-viz) however they don't mention about trousers or boots is it reccomended to bring your own?

4. I'm type 1 diabetic and from applying for my provisonal. I had to fill out forms to do with this so the DVLA is aware and i know the legal requirments you have to do. However is it best to let the CBT instructor know before or during the CBT?

5. When i reaserching it says the only requirment you have to have is your provisonal obviously and that it's helpful if you know how to ride a pushbike (bicycle). I already know how to ride a bicycle but i unless balance is similar. I don't quite get how that helps with motorbikes?. Could someone expand on this further?

6. Are CBT instructors used to teaching people with no experience of motorbiking etc..?

7. Can you fail your cbt?

8. the training place only has automatic mopeds and geared motorbikes. If you were to do your CBT on an automatic moped. I assume your restricted just to automatic moped and can't ride automatic motorbikes or geared motorbiikes etc..

Sorry if some of these questions are weird. I just want to know more info before i book especially as i'm completley new to motorbiking.

(country: England)

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Re: CBT motorbike questions? Reply with quote

Randomperson wrote:
Hello there,

i want to get into motorbiking and i've already got my provisional a couple years ago. I know the first step you have to do is complete your CBT (Compulsory basic training) however i have a few questions before booking one.

1. My glasses prescription recentely changed, i know legally eyesight requirment is to be able to read a number plate from 20.5 metres. i was checking the other day to see if i could and i was able to see a car number plate from 5 car parking spaces. is this around 20.5 metres. Also when you get asked is it exactly 20.5 metres? and i'm guessing you only get one chance? I can see perfectly fine also when cycling on roads. With number plates do they ask you to read a car or motorbike number plate or does it depend?

2. Is it better to learn manual or automatic? if you learn manual with no experience how hard is it to get to grips with the clutch and gears?

3. My closest training centre, bikes and gear are borrowed (Helmet, motorbike/moped gloves, jacket, hi-viz) however they don't mention about trousers or boots is it reccomended to bring your own?

4. I'm type 1 diabetic and from applying for my provisonal. I had to fill out forms to do with this so the DVLA is aware and i know the legal requirments you have to do. However is it best to let the CBT instructor know before or during the CBT?

5. When i reaserching it says the only requirment you have to have is your provisonal obviously and that it's helpful if you know how to ride a pushbike (bicycle). I already know how to ride a bicycle but i unless balance is similar. I don't quite get how that helps with motorbikes?. Could someone expand on this further?

6. Are CBT instructors used to teaching people with no experience of motorbiking etc..?

8. the training place only has automatic mopeds and geared motorbikes. If you were to do your CBT on an automatic moped. I assume your restricted just to automatic moped and can't ride automatic motorbikes or geared motorbiikes etc..

Sorry if some of these questions are weird. I just want to know more info before i book especially as i'm completley new to motorbiking.

(country: England)

Welcome.

1) Car plate - distance in car lengths is about right
2) Yes as stout as you can find but with some flex to change gear with your left foot.
3) Manual
4) Seems sensible
5) Just balance I guess.
6) Yes
7) Yes, but 'not easily' I heard.
8) Dunno maybe not.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Re: CBT motorbike questions? Reply with quote

Randomperson wrote:

Just on the above two;

1. You shouldn't be riding a motorcycle unless your vision is very good, either naturally or corrected with glasses/contact lenses. The reading a reg plate thing might be the "requirement", but it's not actually particularly onerous and if you're only just managing to read it, there's an awful lot you're not seeing while out on the road. Get yourself an eye test and a new set of glasses, even if they're just cheap ones for riding with and nothing else. It might/will save your life.

7. You can't fail in the same way as you do with your test, but you can be denied your certificate if the instructor feels you're not at the standard needed to ride independently. I think you'd have to be quite special to be denied your CBT certificate though.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point 8: if you have a CBT certificate for an automatic it's automatic anything but TBH you'll not find many CVT-driven automatic motorcycles.

The main advantage of doing manual is you're also entitled to ride automatics - 2 for 1 deal - that and automatics are for kids Wink

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a T1 diabetic .....

I'd agree some kind of signal with your instructor to let them know you need to stop and test. Or that you need regular food breaks.

Stress / concentration and physical exertion can both lower blood sugar so testing more is good. As is bringing a couple of pots of sugar ( I use old test strip pots) in case you need a top up mid ride.

Other than that ... zip lock bags for food, Meter etc and stuff is a good precaution in case it rains. And a spare meter in your car or at the test centre in case you drop or break yours.

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:56 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Point 8: if you have a CBT certificate for an automatic it's automatic anything but TBH you'll not find many CVT-driven automatic motorcycles.

The main advantage of doing manual is you're also entitled to ride automatics - 2 for 1 deal - that and automatics are for kids Wink

Not true! .. Even if you take your CBT on an automatic it allows you to ride a manual motorcycle!

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBob wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Not true! .. Even if you take your CBT on an automatic it allows you to ride a manual motorcycle!

You mean automatic motorcycle or does that also include a twist and go scoot? Seems mad you can do it on a scoot then jump on a manual bike when they are completely different Question

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:31 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Point 8: if you have a CBT certificate for an automatic

No such thing exists. Wink

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, CBT does not restrict the user in terms of what type of transmission the vehicle was used to do it with.

I did mine on a twisty 125cc. No restrictions there. Then I went on my CG125 and learned gears my own way and in my own time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live and learn, not what I was told at the time. Still, a lot of beer under the bridge since then.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randomperson wrote:

Yes. Well not fail, but they can refuse to issue you a CBT if they think you're not safe.

When I did a CBT refresher in the mid-2000s the instructor refused to give a cert to the two 17-year olds there on the day. One of them was a bellend (trying to wheelie the scooter he was issued, generally not listening to the instructor) so fair enough. But the other one was just nervous, he'd never been in charge of a motor vehicle before, and the instructor refused to give him the CBT because he'd drifted a bit wide on a roundabout. Which seems like exactly the kind of thing you'd do if you've never been on a motorbike before, and what you'd think the training was FOR.

Seemed a bit harsh to me (and I think the instructor was having a bad day), but that's my experience for what it's worth.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to teach CBT, but a long time ago so apologies if I have forgotten info or am out of date.

The eyesight test distance will be guessed by your tester, usually on a convenient car. If you can't read it then they will pick another one and measure the distance properly and ask you again. The only pupil who couldn't read it for me was wearing glasses. He took them off and read it first time. I asked why the glasses and he said it was to make him look clever.

If you have driven a car you will usually pick up using a clutch more quickly than someone who hasn't. It is normal to get everything from a teenager who has never even sat on a bike right up to someone middle aged who has been riding for years but never bothered with test, either cos they are a bit dodgy, or just repeating their CBT every couple of years. I would just spend more time with the less experienced riders through the day, although sometimes the experienced rider will have habits that are hard to break.

After the off road parts you should be taken out on the road in pairs. If the instructor is concerned about you staying safe out on the road he will not take you out but instead recommend more off road practice till you can go out. Everyone leans at different speeds it's not a fail.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's answered you questions. I would say just go for it, it is great fun. Don't go the automatic route. Can't fail your CBT, just can be asked to come back if your showing your not confident on the road. Do you have your car licence?

Best of luck and ride safe.

Randomperson
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:24 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Everyone's answered you questions. I would say just go for it, it is great fun. Don't go the automatic route. Can't fail your CBT, just can be asked to come back if your showing your not confident on the road. Do you have your car licence?

Best of luck and ride safe.

Thanks and no i don't have a car license, i've only got a provisonal, however i want to be able to ride a motorbike as at the moment i have to rely on public transport and cycling. I want to be able to travel quicker and further out and motorbikes are slightly cheaper than cars.

Being a cyclist i know about being vulnerable, hazards,looking overshoulders, pedestrians, potholes and more.. I know this also applies to motorbikes.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randomperson wrote:
motorbikes are slightly cheaper than cars.

In most circumstances, this probably isn't true compared to a small car. Vehicle, tax and insurance costs are probably similar, but with a bike you need to buy a whole load of gear (helmet, jacket, boots etc,).

Fuel will be cheaper on the bike though (and this will become more of a factor if fuel prices continue to increase), but you'll need to keep the vehicle for a while to really start making those savings. And if you keep the bike outside, you're probably looking at more wear and tear than a car.

If it were me, the deciding factor would be where I lived. If you're in the inner city, and traffic congestion and parking space is a major issue, maybe a bike is better. Otherwise, get a car, all else being equal, cars are a lot more practical and convenient day to day.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No congestion charge, no ULEV charge, no parking (ppl are a lot more generous with bikes it seems.) It all adds up, at least a grand a year saved for me anyway.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 125 is way cheaper than a car in all probability - tax, MOT, fuel and servicing (inc consumables such as tyres) are all much cheaper. Step up to a bigger bike and that starts to erode though; the tyres on my VFR are pricier than my car's tyres and the bike eats them a lot more quickly too.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:43 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. the place I learned with had number plates on a wall, a set distance away

2. definitely do manual, the gears was something i thought id never get the hang of before i tried, id never been on a bike before, but got used to them fairly quickly

3. legally you dont need any, but personally i would, i was warned steel toe cap boots were not suitable

4. I would tell them, doesnt sound like it will be a problem

5. I am not sure on this part, I already had a full car licence, your experience on a push bike will help a bit as you counter steer on that too

6. yes, i had never been on a bike before ever and I was nearly 40 at the time

7. you can fail but its unlikely, you will need to know the highway code as you will get asked a few questions about rules of the road etc but nothing too technical

8. do all your training on a manual is my advice, honestly you will get used to the gears a lot quicker than you expect

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:53 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore all the countersteering bollocks, nobody attempts it consciously until they find out that racers do it. Everyone on two wheels does it unconsciously.

If you can ride a cycle you can ride a bike, it's just that the controls are a bit different.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

If you can ride a cycle you can ride a bike, it's just that the controls are a bit different.

My daughter ran into the back of me on one of her first rides because she forgot that, unlike her bicycle, the left hand lever on her moped didn't make it stop ...

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
A 125 is way cheaper than a car in all probability - tax, MOT, fuel and servicing (inc consumables such as tyres) are all much cheaper.

Is it really though? Back of a fag packet calculations but -

YBR125
COST - 1200
TAX - 16
MOT - 30
TYRES - 110
AIR FILTER - 13
TOTAL - 1369 (1869 if you factor in 500 for gear)

CITROEN C1
COST - 1200
TAX - 20
MOT - 50
TYRES - 200
AIR FILTER - 6.5
TOTAL - 1476.5

Even if you don't take the gear into account, it's not a massive saving with the bike. Although the further you're travelling the more you'll save over time in terms of fuel with the YBR being about 100mpg and the C1 being more like 60mpg. I love bikes, but if I could only have one, it was going to be used as a tool to do a job, and I didn't live in a ULEZ/congestion charge area, I'd take the car every time for the extra practicality alone.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:59 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 yes
7 I did

Re costs, that may vary wildly once you factor in insurance, especially for a yoof.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 06 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
I love bikes, but if I could only have one, it was going to be used as a tool to do a job, and I didn't live in a ULEZ/congestion charge area, I'd take the car every time for the extra practicality alone.

When I got into bikes I justified it to myself that I was doing it to save money because of the massively better fuel economy. That's not part of the equation for me anymore because I now have a company car that I don't even pay fuel for. I still take my motorcycle to work every chance I get because I just fucking love biking now. Even if it's cold, even if it's raining there's something that just feels great about being on a bike over a car. It also used to be about speed but the Tesla I am driving now is way faster off the line than my 650 Kwak. I still choose the Kwak every chance I get.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 06 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:
A 125 is way cheaper than a car in all probability - tax, MOT, fuel and servicing (inc consumables such as tyres) are all much cheaper.

YBR125
TAX - 16
MOT - 30
TYRES - 100 (assume £10 a tyre fitting and Conti tyres)
AIR FILTER - 13
OIL (1L) - 9
Fuel (assume 2k miles and 100mpg, £1.60 a litre) - £145
TOTAL - £313 operating costs (without insurance)

CITROEN C1
TAX - 20
MOT - 50
TYRES - 200
AIR FILTER - 6.5
OIL (3L) - 27
Fuel (assume 2k miles and 50mpg) - £290
TOTAL - £594

Even if you don't take the gear into account, it's not a massive saving with the bike. Although the further you're travelling the more you'll save over time in terms of fuel with the YBR being about 100mpg and the C1 being more like 60mpg. I love bikes, but if I could only have one, it was going to be used as a tool to do a job, and I didn't live in a ULEZ/congestion charge area, I'd take the car every time for the extra practicality alone.

Added / adjusted a bit. I've also taken out the purchase costs because I think in 3 years a YBR will be worth most of what you bought it for, a C1 will probably be worth a lot less - I suspect the difference in residuals is quite substantial. The car is more likely to have electrical gremlins too - there is just a lot more to go wrong, especially on an older car. I'd doubt an old C1 managing that sort of economy either, especially in the real world - I've given a generous 50mpg and a conservative 100mpg for the bike. I don't think you can really count gear either, or at least you need to split it across the years of use as it isn't an annual cost.

A bike can be home serviced with a handful of spanners (for the most part); cars require more skill, tools and knowledge (these days at least).

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 06 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

YBR125
COST - 1200
TAX - 16
MOT - 30
TYRES - 110
AIR FILTER - 13
TOTAL - 1369 (1869 if you factor in 500 for gear)

CITROEN C1
COST - 1200
TAX - 20
MOT - 50
TYRES - 200
AIR FILTER - 6.5
TOTAL - 1476.5

You are forgetting about the insurance costs which is the biggest reason people choose a bike. I just bought my girlfriend a scooter to ride to work on. Scooter, CBT and gear cost around £1400, insurance is about £350. I had a look last year and insuring her to drive a car would be around £1500. Just getting a car license can cost you close to £700 compared to just £120 for a cbt. I'd say costs are only equal if you've been driving a while or are very old.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2