Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda VFR800 VTEC rear shock YSS MZ506-320TRL - will it fit?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

nickkeenan
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:11 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Honda VFR800 VTEC rear shock YSS MZ506-320TRL - will it fit? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm replacing my worn out rear shock on my 2005 Honda VFR800 VTEC A5 and I've been given a YSS Shock MZ506-320TRL (which fits a VFR750 RC36). The YSS Shock that fits the Honda on their webpage is the MZ506-320TR.

So looking at the part numbers, which I presume are measurements, refer to the diameter etc (and they're the same)...and I'm assuming that the 'L' in the one that I've got refers to LONG.

I'm just wondering if the diameter is the same, and the connections are the same, what will happen if I replace my old one with this new one? Has anyone tried this?

Many thanks for your help!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:48 - 08 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRL means Threaded; Rebound adjustment, Length adjustment.

So they are exactly the same spec shock other than you can adjust the length of the one you have by screwing one end in and out by about + or - 5mm.

nickkeenan
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:03 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your help! I wish google was that informative!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:54 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

nickkeenan wrote:
Thank you so much for your help! I wish google was that informative!

It's where I got the info to be fair, but I've also recently been looking at shock interchangeability (using the YSS part numbers) for my 4th gen VFR750 so I had a fair idea it would work.

I'm already keeping an eye on ebay for a 6th gen VFR800 or a VFR1200 shock in better nick than mine so I knew the they would be very similar.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're on this pretty niche subject, do you know if the shock for the 5th gen is significantly different from the 4th and 6th gen ones?

To me (and this is honestly just from feel alone) the 5th gen feels like it has a shorter stroke and is less plush than either of the ones I've had on my 750.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:30 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
Since we're on this pretty niche subject, do you know if the shock for the 5th gen is significantly different from the 4th and 6th gen ones?

To me (and this is honestly just from feel alone) the 5th gen feels like it has a shorter stroke and is less plush than either of the ones I've had on my 750.

It's about 5mm shorter overall. Spring dimensions are different too.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:15 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
[I'm already keeping an eye on ebay for a 6th gen VFR800 or a VFR1200 shock in better nick than mine so I knew the they would be very similar.

Puts hand up...

I have one... I think it's fucked though. I swapped it out for a Nitron on my year 2000 800Fi. I think it's lost most of it's damping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:52 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Puts hand up...

I have one... I think it's fucked though. I swapped it out for a Nitron on my year 2000 800Fi. I think it's lost most of it's damping.

The one I have is ok, all works and surprisingly little rust. I'm just concious it's 25 years old now. I'm hoping I can find a nice 1200 one with remote preload. Ideally from the US where it's not been pelted with salt. I'll probably hang fire until it's on the road though unless an epic bargain comes up.

I'm halfway to justifying the purchase of a nice wilbers or similar with the money I save by fucking up the paint myself.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:54 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

I should add my mate had a 5th gen from new and he wasn't happy with the shock either. He fitted a nice WP one in the end.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:17 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Zen Dog wrote:

I should add my mate had a 5th gen from new and he wasn't happy with the shock either. He fitted a nice WP one in the end.

I reckon after developing the RC45 and then the 5th gen RC46 frame and engine, and probably the fairing and all that too Honda's money men stepped in and said "Wait Honourable designer-San! You can't sell this for a price people will pay, you need to save some Yen!"

The designer replied "Ok, how many Yen"

Accountant: "A LOT of Yen"

designer: "Hold on Lads, you know that great suspension and brakes we were thinking about? Chuck 'em away, the budget for suspension and brakes is now basically zero".

I think a 5th gen would make an ace platform for a sleeper. Stick some Blade forks on it, a Nitron shock, strip out some of the unnecessary weight (structure in the rear subframe and under the tank, put a fibreglass fairing on it) and you could have something of a weapon. The reason nobody does it though, is it's waaaay cheaper and easier just to go out and buy a FireBlade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:35 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I think a 5th gen would make an ace platform for a sleeper. Stick some Blade forks on it, a Nitron shock, strip out some of the unnecessary weight (structure in the rear subframe and under the tank, put a fibreglass fairing on it) and you could have something of a weapon. The reason nobody does it though, is it's waaaay cheaper and easier just to go out and buy a FireBlade.

You could probably save a good bit by fitting normal brakes too.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:18 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

You could probably save a good bit by fitting normal brakes too.

The linked brakes were massively over engineered, but fitted to the worst multi piston sliding calipers I've seen on a bike.

I suspect the linked brake engineering was complete at that point too...

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing a decent amount of riding on the 800 now, I've come to the conclusion that the 750 is definitely the better bike. Not massively, but it's slightly better in pretty much every area.

The 800 has FI which should be a plus really, but it definitely robs the engine of some character. It has daft dual radiators like the firestorm. The handling isn't as good, the rear feels harsh and I get better feel from the front of my 750. They replaced the fairing fastening system with one involving compressing little rubber bungs that seize and then just rotate in their holes. Loads of other little things, but even the one area it should definitely win on, the brakes, which are definitely the weakest bit of the 750, they managed to bugger up with the linked brakes nonsense.

It just seems like the 750 is over engineered in the positive sense of the term, and the 800 in the negative sense of it. Feels like with the 800 no-one ever said to the engineers "that's new and interesting and kinda cool from an engineering perspective, but is it actually better?"

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:00 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked my 800 but wished it was 50kg lighter and had decent suspension. Also another 20-50bhp would have been useful.

Then I rode the GSX-S1000F. It's almost better in every single way. The few ways it isn't better are as follows:

Arrow No wrap around screen so wind protection isn't quite as good, but wind tunnel tested so not actually all that bad

Arrow Build quality. Up there with Suzuki's best, but not with Honda's best.

Arrow Tank range, although it's good enough, it's not 220 miles good.

Arrow No ambient temperature gauge

But otherwise it's just better. Really great quality suspension at both ends, Brembo stylema calipers, more upright riding position, much less weight, 50 more horsepowers, better headlight etc. I'm glad I was forced to switch by the ULEZ, but a lot of that could be down to the fact that it's 18 years newer too...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:48 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I'm glad I was forced to switch by the ULEZ, but a lot of that could be down to the fact that it's 18 years newer too...

It still amazes me that the Gen 1 came out in 1986. Another few years and they'll be tax exempt. They were a hell of thing in their day.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1