New Rider!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

CakeLover22
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:11 - 08 May 2022    Post subject: New Rider! Reply with quote

Hi All!

One of my friends put me on to this forum. I've just started riding though I've had my licence for years. I was one of the last to get the 33bhp restricted licence but I couldn't afford a bike. I've just bought a Bandit 1200 and couldn't be happier!

Looking forward to reading the forums and seeing whats going on!

Thanks,

Jed

gt alex
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 08 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I am also new to the forum I have only had 650's but they were clunkers for commuting, and had a 7year break before getting my current bike another 650 but wow how great is it compared to the old bikes.

It's great you riding again but hell, a bandit 1200.
All I can think is take it easy.

I must be chicken but that would take some getting used to for me.

Good on you enjoy and be safe

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 08 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

have fun getting used to the bike, and stay safe Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt alex wrote:
It's great you riding again but hell, a bandit 1200.

Bandit 1200s are big bikes, and that engine has a chunky spread of torque, but in many ways it's like a big armchair. As long as you can handle wheeling the thing round at low speed, they're actually pretty friendly.

Above about 600cc, the engine capacity alone doesn't really tell you how fast/scary a bike will be. My 675cc street triple has more power (107bhp) than a bandit 1200 (100bhp), but you really need to rev it to get that power, you can be a lot lazier with the bandit. To take a couple of even more extreme examples, a Harley Sportster 1200cc is 66bhp, and a Ducati Panigale V4 1100cc is 213bhp. Shocked

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's stating the obvious, but it's all about being smooth and progressive with your inputs. A 1200 Bandit is more than capable of highsiding you or wheelieing away with clumsy inputs. A torquier engine actually exacerbates that issue as low revs aren't as lethargic as they are on a peakier bike like a striple.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I know it's stating the obvious, but it's all about being smooth and progressive with your inputs. A 1200 Bandit is more than capable of highsiding you or wheelieing away with clumsy inputs. A torquier engine actually exacerbates that issue as low revs aren't as lethargic as they are on a peakier bike like a striple.

You're totally right, but I suppose I was looking at it the other way round. Peakier bikes need a good handful of throttle to pull off without stalling, and giving it just a little too much will have you catapulting down the road. But you'll always need to give it a fair bit, and working out just how much that "fair bit" is when you're new can be challenging. Whereas you realise quite quickly on torquey big engines that just a whiff of throttle will do, so you can afford to be much more gentle on pulling off without worrying about stalling. One of my mates has a Sprint GT and you can happily pull off from a standstill without touching the throttle at all.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All bikes need respect, arguably bigger and more powerful machinery will more naturally instil it as there is a bit more wariness than with a smaller bike where it might be tempting to fall into the trap of "it's only a XX bhp machine".

The other thing about the peakier bike is if you wheelspin with lots of throttle on at low revs, the rise in revs as you lose traction coincides with jumps in power and the situation becomes exponential until you either end up in a ditch or manage to control it.

Last edited by ThunderGuts on 09:00 - 26 Apr 2023; edited 1 time in total

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
To be fair, if you're heavy handed with the gear lever, it's possible for my C90 to throw you off the back from a standstill. Laughing

Haha, I've seen this exact thing happen on a C90 style bike. A woman I was travelling with (first day on a moped to be fair) gave it a handful to pull off, but the bike was in neutral, so still revving, she just knocked it into first. The bike wheelied out from between her legs, but she held onto the bars, so she ended up chasing it down the road with the bike on the back wheel...

In fact, I even found the pic of us pissing ourselves laughing once she'd got it under control. Very Happy
https://zendog888.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/ss104149-custom.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 324 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1