Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
In theory it would only be a couple of hours work to convert my enfield bullet to run on ethanol. Another day to bump the compression to something silly.

I've had similar thoughts for my old CB250RS. Temptation to create alcohol from allotment waste and distil it in a solar powered still.

I'm probably going to burn down my garden fence.

I wonder how much compression a CB250RS can take before cracking the cylinder head? Oh yeah I remember now, stock compression Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:48 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not thinking about performance, it would be impressive if it would run at all.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

true. I thought Ethanol needed higher comp ratios to burn though? and what with the 250RS habit of cracking heads Id be surprised if you could get away with it.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:46 - 14 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will still burn and do it's thing just fine at stock compression, it's just a much higher octane number so capable of taking much more compression.

It also contains less energy for a given amount than petrol, so it needs bigger jets. I could also run more ignition advance.

All of this is purely theoretical currently. At some point in the future I might get around to it, probably when my main bike is electric and I want to avoid using fossil fuel for anything.

The trickiest bit would be tracking down everything in the fuel system made of rubber and changing it to metal or viton, and finding or making suitably sized jets.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 15 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a tangent, while they may be prone to failures I was impressed by how forgiving the top end was on the CB250RS. Going back to the early nineties I bought a "project" 250RS sight unseen, friend of a friend job.

Went to collect, dragged it out from the back of the lockup and tinkered for a while. Had spark, had compression. Added petrol and it ran...

Rode home (on private roads, honest ossifer) slowly as it was only a couple of miles and marvelled at the sounds coming from the top of the engine at any revs at all. If I had paid more than £20 for the thing I'd have stopped and pushed but I was feeling lazy and decidedly lacking in mechanical sympathy.

Got home to discover the exhaust valves were pretty much rocking in the guides, I was utterly astounded it had started let alone gotten me back. Having said all that, I had also had an XL250 for a while which had been a teenagers field bike. The thing ran quite well but didn't have a single gasket in the engine - it was all blue Hylomar sealant.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 17 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
What interests me is how the Government is going to raise all the lost money in fuel duty and how countries which have been oil and gas economies will survive when all of Europe and North America have wholly switched to solar, wind and nuclear for power and electric vehicles for transportation.

They won't.

Economies change, recessions happen, look at Russia and China right now.
As for raising money in lost revenue? The revenue will just come from new places.. e.g being these eScoot hire companies.
Lots of different ways will be started and trialled until a stable way makes its mark. This is why i've been pushing on with commercial bike parking and recovery. As much as I love engines and tuning, the tide is changing on who can afford access to them.

MarJay wrote:
Jay Leno has it right
I said to a mate of mine 5 years ago that we should setup a high end supercar rental club, do it like Jay Leno's garage, it would essentially mean that other rich people pay us to maintain and use loads of gorgeous automotive relics.

That would be a retirement plan!

Easy-X wrote:

I'm of a mind that - quantifiably - we are not the same ppl from moment to moment. At a minimum you technically "die" every night when you lose consciousness.

It's strangely reassuring to know that whatever time you spend away from BCF, there's always something like this to creep you out on return Laughing

I so desperately want to own and run an NSR250 in my retirement.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2