Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance Is Mad

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:44 - 11 May 2022    Post subject: Insurance Is Mad Reply with quote

So I just renewed my car insurance.

Now last year I got knocked off the bike (non-fault) and so I had to inform my car insurer.

Well, my premium actually went down.

OK, I wasn't expecting it to go up but I sure as shite wasn't expecting it to go down.

Insurance is mad.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 11 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that the new "can't charge a new customer less than an existing customer thing" is playing at least a small part. A few people I work with have said their auto-renewal cost has come down a good chunk, even to a smaller amount than comparison websites.

Still doesn't mean they wouldn't have had a cheaper quote online if the new law wasn't there, but it seems that companies want people to think the new law benefits them more than it actually does.

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 11 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there some EU law that we now don't have to comply with that has lowered insurance premiums. I am not sure what it was, also less claims due to the pandemic.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:51 - 11 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was one about continuous insurance even for vehicles used offroad but that wouldn't have increased premiums.

alli09
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:35 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you feel well! Agree, insurance is so expensive... my friend was totally mad about it Confused

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

EU Insurance law to include equipment used off road. (Re: Vnuk maybe???)
It was kicked into thenlong grass by a turn of Brexit.

(One of the very very, very few positives to bring forth the promises of Brexit is Better boolshite.)

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:32 - 15 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently changed my car from a 75hp VW up! to a more expensive 180hp Mini Cooper S convertible of a similar age.

The cost of the insurance for the mini is less than the up!

Insurance is indeed mad, but I'm not complaining!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Pokitren This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:43 - 16 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Insurance Is Mad Reply with quote

Pokitren wrote:
Hi all, let me join your forum.

Yeah sure why not?

Membership fees are payable directly to me and you should never pay the administrator.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 16 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Insurance Is Mad Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Pokitren wrote:

Yeah sure why not?

Membership fees are payable directly to me and you should never pay the administrator.

You forgot to send the payment link...

BCF Subscriptions

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 16 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Insurance Is Mad Reply with quote

Pokitren wrote:

Apparently, they thought you were a dangerous rider and you might have more insurance claims. If this is described in your contract with the insurance company, then the claim is irrelevant. Can you find another insurance company?

His insurance went down, fucktard.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 16 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance for me on my Tesla Model 3 (£1,560 fully comp) is less than I was quoted on a 6 year old Qashqai (£1,840 fully comp) Shocked

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Insurance Is Mad Reply with quote

Pokitren wrote:

no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 14:44 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best quote I could get was £1500 fully comp (bear in mind I'm 37 and 9+ NCB with no points or bans, etc).

2 Days later, did a quote for the lulz, £750 Shocked

Promptly got that corrected, they're cheeky bastards.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, you guys pay a lot to insure stuff. £780 pays for my van insurance (the dearest of the lot btw... 12 plate Transit
connect), car insurance (18 plate Mazda 3), my scoot (13plate HW125) and big bike (66 plate MT09 mods
declared), policies combined, all fully comprehensive cover. I just added the MT09 after a stint of it being in storage to
my scooter policy for it's remaining 6 months of cover and it was just an additional £48. It's barely more to insure my
little fleet than my annual combined road tax bill.
I have lots of no claims on each policy though mind you, 18 years car, 10 years van and 7 years bike.

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 29 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my renewal quote from Bennetts yesterday, £147 fully comp for RE Himalayan and Kawasaki ER5, down on last year.
9 years no claim, no pillion, locked in garage, £200 excess.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 29 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Insurance for me on my Tesla Model 3 (£1,560 fully comp) is less than I was quoted on a 6 year old Qashqai (£1,840 fully comp) Shocked

What have you done? Raped the insurance lady? My Jag, wifies Ford tourneau and the the bike is less than that?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:00 - 29 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run a few quotes for various models as I want to purchase something, Ducati 999 8 years ncb £108 or Buell xb12r £166.

Which is around the same as my old GSXR 1000! Nothing really different, but my car which is up for renewal in 3 weeks, my renewal letter dropped from £450ish to £350, shame it's going back to the parents.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:03 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

What

I think we've made a few wildly inaccurate estimates about how old some BCF people are.

The Fat Angry Scotchman? Probably in his 50's? Oh wait he's only 19? Laughing

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:57 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked to be put on my family's insurance for a week when I went home over christmas. Was worried it would be very expensive becaues Spanish drivers license now thanks to Brexit. They cost went down with me added. They refunded us £12. Weird

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The Fat Angry Scotchman? Probably in his 50's? Oh wait he's only 19? Laughing

I'm in my very early 30's Laughing I have NCB but only because it was protected. I've been in two accidents in the last 5 years (one fault and one non-fault) is the biggest reason for the cost I reckon.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:47 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my auto renewal quotes with Bennett’s are up 25ish quid this year. No prangs, bikes worth a bit less, I’ve got a bit more ncb.

Silly really cause if they hadn’t outdone their own price on last year I wouldn’t have been tempted to bash a meerkat and save 30 quid elsewhere instead of giving them more

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:59 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who thought the EU rules regarding insurance even for vehicles that are offroad, The US has said 'hold my beer'

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/geico-ordered-pay-5-2m-170300926.html

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
For those who thought the EU rules regarding insurance even for vehicles that are offroad, The US has said 'hold my beer'

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/geico-ordered-pay-5-2m-170300926.html

Don't cover acts of god, but covered an act of rod?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:38 - 15 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a vent here just because.... Tried to renew my van insurance today, I've been with Gladiator for 11 years.
Admittedly there has been a change of address since last year but I'm paying less to insure my other vehicles registered
here so wasn't expecting a huge leap. They had jacked the price up by over £200 to £472.32 full comp and without my
permission to auto renew they went ahead and did anyway despite having no up to date payment details.

I was alarmed by this sentence in their most recent letter.

Quote:
If your payment details are not updated by 5/7/22 , your policy will automatically renew and your premium will still be due.

It's not a fucking subscription.

After hearing the ludicrous price for this years cover I told them they had just lost a loyal customer and to
forward proof of no claims. Then they tried to charge me for 10 days worth of cover because THEY auto
renewed on the 5th against my wishes. The van is in the garage at the moment, I was waiting to get it back
before reinsuring. I never auto renew, ever. After a brief argument they waived the outstanding fee because
I told them to take me to court for it because there was no way I was paying up for insurance I never started.

Expecting a long morning on the phone trying to arrange new cover I thought I'd give moneysupermarket's van insurance
comparison thingy a whirl. Now insured with Swinton, with a better standard of cover for £183 Full comp.

In amongst the price comparisons was Gladiator, £130 cheaper than the price they just gave me on the phone.

How can they sleep at night? I just insured my van for less than the sum of their increase.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 283 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2