Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Grease greees grease every #####' where !!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

XT65
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:13 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Grease greees grease every #####' where !! Reply with quote

Alright all BCF, hope all's well and the covers are slowly coming off ..[saying that,it'll be SNOWING tomorrow Very Happy !]

Just wondering if I've been a bit stupid greasing my chain adjusters a bit considering what they're for ...?
They're new ones for an XR125 swingarm . the old ones were rusted fairly tight in there so i cleaned the arms out as best I could and then put some grease around the inner surface and inside the bolt holes of the adjusters -
Now I'm thinking it's not a smart move as they obviously need 'some' resistance to do their job..
But as they're locked in place once tension is achieved ,should I not worry about it ?

Thanks all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The torque on a rear axle is usually pretty high; unless the mating surfaces are like glass, I'd expect the grease to be squeezed out until the surfaces engage with each other. I think you'll be fine if the axle is torqued up correctly. Incidentally, that's possibly a bigger risk - grease on the threads of the axle (unless specified) will cause a much bigger tension on the axle than with a dry thread.

XT65
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:45 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
grease on the threads of the axle (unless specified) will cause a much bigger tension on the axle than with a dry thread.

Thanks TG -yes I see your point there, but I'm not applying to the nut thread specifically , there's some on the thread end because of pushing through the adjuster holes but that will be dry as I can make it once I come to torque it up -
I'll keep an eye like tipex on it too once to torque spec [93Nm I think]

I'm thinking of the adjusters moving in [or out] of the swingarm ends when adjusting the chain tension - by using a bit of grease am I making it a harder job achieving and maintaining correct chain tension by giving them too much movement [because of the grease] [I was thinking of how the old ones had rusted up inside the arm ends so thought it couldn't be a bad thing against the weather I suppose]

I mean they're not falling out or anything they're tight in the arm ends- I'm just thinking on the micro level of movement when adjusting ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing you could do is just wipe down with a degreaser soaked rag the mating surfaces so they're dry? Unlikely to harbour much water if they're a close fit already. Good idea on the tip ex actually, I've seen that done elsewhere but it's never occurred to me to do that myself at home. Like it . . .

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Grease greees grease every #####' where !! Reply with quote

XT65 wrote:
Alright all BCF, hope all's well and the covers are slowly coming off ..[saying that,it'll be SNOWING tomorrow Very Happy !]

Just wondering if I've been a bit stupid greasing my chain adjusters a bit considering what they're for ...?
They're new ones for an XR125 swingarm . the old ones were rusted fairly tight in there so i cleaned the arms out as best I could and then put some grease around the inner surface and inside the bolt holes of the adjusters -
Now I'm thinking it's not a smart move as they obviously need 'some' resistance to do their job..
But as they're locked in place once tension is achieved ,should I not worry about it ?

Thanks all

Putting any lubricant on a fastener means the fastener will screw in more due to the reduced friction. Screwing in more means there will be more 'crushing' action from the fastener.

It shouldn't affect the resistance to falling out.

Simply not being tightened enough will let that happen.

Most Greases are Soap based. (A base Oil blended with detergents and magic stuff)

Because of the soap they are prone to absorb moisture. And therefore, require to be replenished at intervals.
There are waterproof greases but more expensive and not as easy to find.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 348 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1