Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hardwired cameras

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 16 May 2022    Post subject: Hardwired cameras Reply with quote

Anyone hardwired a "dashcam" up to their bikes lately? CBA to mess around with something helmet mounted, just want something that'll start with the bike (thinking of mounting it just below the headlight).

Seems like there's a load of cheapo Chinese style ones online, but don't think I'd trust half of them as far as they can be thrown especially when it comes to image quality and potentially needing to read a plate back on video.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 16 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Hardwired cameras Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Anyone hardwired a "dashcam" up to their bikes lately?

No, but I believe https://innovv.co.uk/ is where it's at

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 16 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Hardwired cameras Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Anyone hardwired a "dashcam" up to their bikes lately?

No, but I believe https://innovv.co.uk/ is where it's at

Looks decent, cheers Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 16 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of the aforementioned China China China models. Bluesea I think. One of the cameras was DOA but TBF I got sent a replacement straight away. Picture quality is reasonable for the price.

If I were to do it again I'd probably go with a screenless version where you access footage via an app and have the whole thing "stealth" rather than adding to the handlebar bric-a-brac.

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 05:28 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

got these hardwired in - front just under the headlamp and the rear above number plate. (Gen 2 FZ1)

Works fine - no screen - all the bits under the seat. Starts when bike is on - stops when off - it might have a 'crash' sensor that'd start it if bike's knocked but... dunno. It's got a perm live and a switched live so maybe.

Picture quality is reasonable - good enough for a spill - but maybe not for documenting epic scenic rides. Does vibrate a bit where mounted to plastic fairing - in hindsight, should have attached to more substantial bracket somewhere.

Didn't bother with the remote, can't see the point. It does have a microphone on the unit which only picks up engine noise (unless you're screaming 'cuuuuuuuuuuuunt!!!' at someone who's just pulled into your lane.

Broadcasts on wifi - so turn key on bike, connect via phone and view or download videos to phone. Takes about 3 mins to transfer a 5 min vid. (seperate videos front and back) Or just take the SD card out and put it in a laptop.

Just for peace of mind really - not interested in youtubing my commute - will have to see how long it lasts though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HH6R4BH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

zark wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HH6R4BH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been looking at that one for a while - good to see some feedback, thanks.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I think on it the main benefit of having the screen/recorder unit on the handlebars is you can see the cameras working as the unit powers up. "Feck! I never noticed that dollop of mud on the camera..." just when you need the footage.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a cheap action camera just for liability purposes in case something happens.

I have experimented with different setups. If you want a camera that's fixed to your handlebars, you will need to something with better features than a cheap camera can offer. You will need a good anti-vibration feature on the camera itself.

Also worth bearing in mind this:

White Dalton solicitors wrote:
The law relating to seizure of evidence dates to I984 and is certainly debatable whether the police have any power to seize a camera fixed to your helmet, but one mounted to your motorcycle is more likely to be able to be seized in evidence.

https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2020/06/is-an-on-board-camera-a-good-idea/#can-an-on-board-motorbike-camera-be-seized-as-evidence

I know some people here have some absolutely ferocious bikes, but we're all responsible people and we don't break speed limits, etc. But if, on the off-chance your evasive actions (for example, getting away from a lunatic road user who threatened you with what appeared to be a shiny metal object and had just chased you down) may be misconstrued by a passing constable, and a misguided reporting for a traffic offence were to occur, it would be better for your lawyer to have a basis for challenging the admissibility of any video footage that may be misinterpreted, to preclude any misinterpretation.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 06:07 - 11 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The law relating to seizure of evidence dates to I984 and is certainly debatable whether the police have any power to seize a camera fixed to your helmet, but one mounted to your motorcycle is more likely to be able to be seized in evidence."

I disagree. I'm not sure that the law makes any such distinction.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:28 - 11 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/can-police-seize-your-dashcam-and-helmet-camera-footage/

I think that sums it up fairly well.

But if you are lying in a ditch after riding like a Pen15 and quadraspazzed yourself and the bike is beyond your dribbling crawl .... then a helmet/body cam can be hidden or an SD card swallowed but what is fixed to the bike remains on the bike for plod to look at.

That said you're equally likely to have been filmed by everyone you flew past before finding that ditch.

Erase that sucker before and after each ride. The last thing anyone needs is for plod to go snooping for one thing and then find a load of incriminating other stuff to add context.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 12 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Dalton solicitors wrote:
"The law relating to seizure of evidence dates to I984 and is certainly debatable whether the police have any power to seize a camera fixed to your helmet, but one mounted to your motorcycle is more likely to be able to be seized in evidence."

DJP wrote:
I disagree. I'm not sure that the law makes any such distinction.

Well I reckon I'll go with the solicitor's opinion, thanks Thumbs Up

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:05 - 12 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with Innovv products. They refused a warranty claim when mine F****d up as there was a mark from a cable tie where I had bunched up the spare cable.....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 317 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1