BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Carbon .. Capture?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Not efficient enough' works for me in a design Q&A phase; if I can nail down a solid theory of how to get something working that is car or minibus sized, I could get some enthusiasm for funding to get some trial and error project moving forwards.

Surely there are books or papers on what to avoid doing? and by deduction avoiding costly mistakes?

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capture all the Carbon, box it up and ship it to Rwanda.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just thought actually, we ship most of our goods around the world on cargo ships, which float on the ocean which has more Co2 than the air... why can't ships filter water and capture carbon as they sail?

Surely they could have solar panels on to create free energy to boost the process?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:07 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

What you appear to be looking for is a revolutionary improvement from using a catalyst to dramatically reduce the energy requirements using clever chemistry. I can't find any evidence of such a thing being found, but there is the usual frothing about carbon nanotubes, same as on any emerging technology.

It's called ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase and is probably the most abundant enzyme on earth. It's found, as I've said before, in plants. It turns CO2 into Sugar using sunlight.

We don't actually need to actively remove carbon from the atmosphere, we need to stop adding more. Carbon capture technology and carbon offset is just creative book-keeping.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

We don't actually need to actively remove carbon from the atmosphere, we need to stop adding more.

I'd actually argue we just need to balance the equation, either through reducing the addition of carbon to the atmosphere, or by adjusting the components on the other side of the equation.

Carbon addition = Carbon reduction (natural) + Carbon reduction (capture) + Carbon Offset (additional trees etc..)

The problem is right now the carbon addition is high (and increasing), the carbon reduction (natural) is decreasing through deforestation, leaving carbon offset and carbon capture as the only balance measures, but they're no way sufficient unless some silver bullet comes along.

The solution is painfully simple; reduce carbon output and stop cutting down forests (ideally replant them). There are a load of benefits to such environments beyond just their carbon absorption abilities too of course.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
I've just thought actually, we ship most of our goods around the world on cargo ships, which float on the ocean which has more Co2 than the air... why can't ships filter water and capture carbon as they sail?

Surely they could have solar panels on to create free energy to boost the process?

We could also enable the ships to separate Hydrogen from the sea water by electrolysis. We could then run shit off the Hydrogen to generate electricity!

We need a BCF patent (Y)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:20 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

It's called ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase and is probably the most abundant enzyme on earth. It's found, as I've said before, in plants. It turns CO2 into Sugar using sunlight.

We don't actually need to actively remove carbon from the atmosphere, we need to stop adding more. Carbon capture technology and carbon offset is just creative book-keeping.

Biomass may not be enough to balance the equation in the short to medium term. It's a fantastic long term solution, particularly using trees where the CO2 is locked away for a very long time.

To reduce the impact of climate change as much as possible, all of the things would need to happen. Stop burning fossil fuels, create excess energy from renewables and use the excess to capture CO2 from the air, and capture CO2 in biomass (which is not then burnt).

All of those things are not going to happen quickly enough, so the next best thing is to do as many of the options as much as possible.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

id like to nominate this the most boring thread on BCF.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:23 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

We do, it just isn't sustainable to do anything less.

@ to v; well then fuck off elsewhere and don't read it.
Idiot.

Interesting: https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/trains-could-be-modified-to-hoover-up-carbon-dioxide-as-they-cross-the-country/ what was I saying?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:

Quote:
Direct air capture systems typically extract CO2 from the atmosphere via a series of chemical reactions that occur as air passes through them. This captured CO2 can then be stored in a liquid reservoir until it can be sequestered underground in porous rock formations.

That sounds simple but if you factor in the manufacture or mining of those chemicals I’d be surprised if there isn’t an overall increase in CO2 emissions.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant I was saying it should be possible to have mobile carbon capture, ships and trucks, I guess maybe trains too.

I think there's massive potential to have trucks fitted with a basic system to do it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:48 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
I meant I was saying it should be possible to have mobile carbon capture, ships and trucks, I guess maybe trains too.

I think there's massive potential to have trucks fitted with a basic system to do it.

And how will you power these vehicles in such a way that they can move around and capture carbon (incidentally making them even less efficient because they are lugging all this carbon they've captured around) without creating carbon?

You don't need to move to capture carbon, there's this thing called the wind, you know.

What you need is a CO2 free of making power for the carboin capture which at the moment is only really solar, wind and nuclear, which by definition isn't really mobile.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 25 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a way of making carbon visible?
I mean surely there's a simple way to colour it?

I did a Google but alot of the geek speak there goes way beyond my understanding.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:51 - 02 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've said this already, but I'll say it again.

It doesn't matter where you capture the CO2. It could be on a vehicle, or in a building, or in a field on the other side of the world.

The only possible benefit from having a mobile capture device is that you're pulling the CO2 from a more concentrated source. There are some efficiency gains here, which is why it's a good idea to do it at fossil fuelled power stations.

The mass, size and power requirements for the CO2 capture gear will outweigh the efficiency gains of it being mobile.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 02 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
id like to nominate this the most boring thread on BCF.

Yes but look at the brains trust it is bringing out in [the usual suspects] Wub

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 02 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
Isn't there a way of making carbon visible?
I mean surely there's a simple way to colour it?

I remember having blue carbon paper at school Thinking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2