Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike for Learner - Which one?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

dgeorge11
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:14 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Bike for Learner - Which one? Reply with quote

Hi all.

I'm looking to buy a used 125cc bike to start learning to ride. I've had a look around and see a lot of Lexmoto and Yamaha ybr 125cc for sale, which seem to be popular. A few people have mentioned a Honda 125 also.

Which is best make/bike to go for? Are there any to avoid?

Thanks,

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy cheap, save your money for a more powerful bike if/when you pass your test.

Jap bikes are generally reliable and last well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:40 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you?

dgeorge11
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:30 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 35. Wanting to get into biking as a hobby rather than using a bike for commuting.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Bike for Learner - Which one? Reply with quote

dgeorge11 wrote:
Hi all.

I'm looking to buy a used 125cc bike to start learning to ride. I've had a look around and see a lot of Lexmoto and Yamaha ybr 125cc for sale, which seem to be popular. A few people have mentioned a Honda 125 also.

Thanks,

If you are set on getting a 125 then:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165484956584?hash=item2687ac0ba8:g:4rIAAOSwMShhwiMa

However, since you are 35 you are better just doing DAS and then buying a big boy bike and skipping the 125 step. The 125 only makes sense if you're commuting and want to do moon miles on the cheap (of if you were young and its all you're allowed)

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:20 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go Jap, avoid the Chinese ones

I got a 125 to practice on in between lessons, as because of work and other things i couldnt do an intensive quick course, was helpful to go out and drill what I was being told on my lessons, in my own time, and I could go to and from work on it aswell for more practice

I had a Yamaha YS125

dgeorge11
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:13 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I want to get a 125cc first, just to ride around on and see if I want to commit further to motorbiking.

I like both the Yamaha ybr125 and the Suzuki van van 125. Anyone have any preference on either? Pros and cons?

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:13 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgeorge11 wrote:
Thanks all. I want to get a 125cc first, just to ride around on and see if I want to commit further to motorbiking.

Just bear in mind it’s like buying a G-wiz because you want to go on a track day. You base your decision on how enjoyable it might be whilst riding on something with 14hp.

If I’d gone 125 I’d have binned it off. After CBT I really didn’t know if it was for me. I didn’t want to commit money to kit & bike on the basis I might like it.

I’m not saying don’t do it, just don’t pack it in if you don’t enjoy a 125. There is more to it.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone will say the same thing.

I had a YBR125, hated the feel of the VanVan. I did 1008 miles on the YBR125 before i took my test and once i'd been out on the big stuff, wild horses wouldn't have got me back on the YBR.

TL/DR the internet is right. Unless you really want to slog it out on the slow stuff or are restricted to doing so .... get your CBT done and Mod1/2 and just buy a big bike if you pass the tests.

By the time you've done your CBT/Mod1/2 you'll know whether you want to continue with motorbikes or not.

Spend the money you'd have spent on the YBR on your training instead.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:22 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no need for you to suffer by riding around on a 125 with L plates. Those L plates are for children and Losers.

Do DAS so you get full license and then buy a bike.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
dgeorge11 wrote:

Just bear in mind it’s like buying a G-wiz because you want to go on a track day. You base your decision on how enjoyable it might be whilst riding on something with 14hp.

If I’d gone 125 I’d have binned it off. After CBT I really didn’t know if it was for me. I didn’t want to commit money to kit & bike on the basis I might like it.

I’m not saying don’t do it, just don’t pack it in if you don’t enjoy a 125. There is more to it.

Horses for courses

I did it exactly the way to OP is suggesting, and at a similar age, as i too wasn't ready to stump up £1000 to get my licence only to find i didn't enjoy it

So i spent £100 on a CBT, bought a £750 CG125 and pottered about on that for 4 months before ralising i wanted a proper bike, i even sold the CG for £800 once i'd got my full licence

I certainly enjoyed my time on a 125, but did soon get bored, but as i say, i actually ended up quids in

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
I certainly enjoyed my time on a 125, but did soon get bored, but as i say, i actually ended up quids in

I got bored of my 125cc quickly the same as I am now bored of my 650cc. However, I went back to using my little 125cc and I forgot how fun the little bike is.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

VT 125 Shadow. If you can afford it. great wee cruiser bike and is only increasing in value. I loved mine, it was my first bike. Rode it for a while until I did my DAS.

Good luck you'll love biking.

Couldn't interest you in a 1993 Fireblade? Laughing

Stevie-YBR
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:06 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Bike for Learner - Which one? Reply with quote

dgeorge11 wrote:
Hi all.

Thanks,

I was all set to get a LexMoto LXS then took my CBT on a Yamaha YBR, liked it so much I bought it from the school for £1200. Less than 10k miles on it, only advisory on the MOT was for the front tyre. Bike is light and nimble and getting to 60 is easy. Does get to 65 eventually, however, I'm on the wrong side of 15 stone....so yeah. Whatever you decide, enjoy the bike

jonquirk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 19 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practiced while I was learning by hiring a 125 to go out by myself for the day. I spent £200 plus fuel over five days and managed to improve a lot by doing about 100 miles each time. I didn’t have to worry about buying a lemon, insurance, or selling it on afterwards.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is best to learn on a small, lightweight bike; maybe not a 125, but certainly a bike 250cc or less. Learn on something that is physically unintimidating, that you can physically muscle about until the fundamentals of brake, clutch, and throttle operation become automatic and you don't have to think about what you are doing. Small bikes allow you to pin the throttle at any time without potentially fatal consequence. Fortunately, small bikes also happen to be affordable, so you can learn basic maintenance skills at a lower financial risk. Chain tension, cable adjustment, valve checks; all skills that can be learned on a small bike. Even clutch diagnosis/repair, stator issues and regulator/rectifier problems can be learned on a smaller bike, but as a rule, reduced capacity results in a lower probability of problems in these areas.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1