Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

c_dug, killer of bikes.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: c_dug, killer of bikes. Reply with quote

Well today I killed another bike. My K1300GT went pop on the M1, a nice hole in the engine and a puddle of oil. Cue the discovery that my recovery had not auto-renewed as I thought, a nice long wait on the hard shoulder in a thunderstorm, and a £280 recovery bill Rolling Eyes

It occurs to me that of all the bikes that have ever gone through my ownership, only two have been sold in the condition I bought them in, or three if you count one I had to rebuild significantly.

I average around 12,000 miles a year so my bikes do see some use, but I'm pretty meticulous with oil changes since the days of my NTV.

1. TS50X - non-fault crash write off
2. TDR250 - Sold sort of working but having been significantly rebuilt after it caught fire in my garage whilst I was working on it
3. GPZ500S - Crashed dicking around on a roundabout, patched back together and pretty much given away to a friend
4. NTV600 - dubbed the Cockroach by my dad for the abuse I gave it, ran the poor thing out of oil twice on the M25 and it still continued to march on. Eventually it had enough. Sold for scrap.

Worth bearing in mind the above four bikes cost less than £1000 in total, spanning between 2006-2010.

5. ZZR600 - non-fault crash write off
6. CBR600F - stolen recovered 3 times! Second gear went and eventually the whole bike died. Broke for spares.
7. Diversion 900 - Crashed twice, the first time was a bad one but the bike survived well. The second was slow speed but the gear selector took a knock and a few months later the gearbox died.
8. CB500s - bought crashed from a forum member with the intention of fixing it, sold spares and repairs alongside the Divvy 900.
9. VFR800 Vtec - It Survived!
10. Fazer 600 - Stolen and burned less than 200m from my door. Bastards.
11. R1200GS - The spark plug fired out like a gun, then I fucked it when fixing it and ended up having to put a new engine in. Sold running and working perfectly, but I did kill it temporarily.
12. Aprilia Tuono 125 (2 stroke) - It Survived!
13. Aprilia Shiver 750 - still in regular use, but it did temporarily throw a wobbly last year
14. K1300GT - bought from my dad less than a month ago, died today.

So, out of 14 bikes, 3 were sold fully working, I still own one, the rest have basically died in my ownership.

Anybody else got even remotely as bad a record???

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Re: c_dug, killer of bikes. Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

@Paddy?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:15 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your own dad sod you a pup? What a wanker!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of two people personally who have owned boxer twins from BMW, Both went bang without warning. One of them was owned by a BMW machanic. (I really tried not to snigger, honestly Laughing ).

And c_dug, perhaps you should get a new hobby. Wink

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I know of two people personally who have owned boxer twins from BMW, Both went bang without warning. One of them was owned by a BMW machanic. (I really tried not to snigger, honestly Laughing ).

And c_dug, perhaps you should get a new hobby. Wink

'Williams Renault Syndrome'

Renault decided to stop supplying F1 engines to Williams because they were so reliable the only time they were newsworthy was on the rare occasion they went bang. All their publicity was negative because they were just so good.

My boxer twin just does what it does, day in ,day out. I'm not saying it's been faultless it's had it's problems but at 110k miles it's a long long way past any mileage attained by any previous bike I have had.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So your own dad sod you a pup? What a wanker!

To be fair it worked fine for him for the last 5 years or so, I knew the risk buying a 50k+ mile bike.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, they're there to be used and they all go bang eventually. Perhaps you ride them really hard? Anyway, with any dirty, complex, cumbersome machine like an internal combustion engine, when it goes bang you make a cold calculation. Do you really want to fix it or even to get someone else to fix it, or would it be more economic to part it out or scrap it and get another.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard-ish I guess, but I've commuted on every bike I've ever owned so I do treat them with a dollop of respect since I rely on them daily for work.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:01 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
...And c_dug, perhaps you should get a new hobby. Wink

You should probably avoid piloting aircraft.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:18 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
...And c_dug, perhaps you should get a new hobby. Wink

You should probably avoid piloting single engined aircraft.

Edited that for you.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: c_dug, killer of bikes. Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Well today I killed another bike. My K1300GT went pop on the M1, a nice hole in the engine and a puddle of oil. Cue the discovery that my recovery had not auto-renewed as I thought, a nice long wait on the hard shoulder in a thunderstorm, and a £280 recovery bill Rolling Eyes

Didn't I read somewhere that they do that if they've been dropped and laid on their side causing some sort of air lock in the oil path? I may have dreamt that though.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

When heard of a Beemer throwing a rod at a mere 50K
I was surprised because in my ignorance of modern bikes
I assumed the K1300 had a K (brick) type engine or a boxer lump
IL4 eh?
Unless it was woefully neglected and someone relentlessly
caned the arse off it, you'd expect 50k to be passed easily
for an engine that size.

Witchcraft? curses? sabotage? aliens? bloody foreigners?
shite design?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: c_dug, killer of bikes. Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

Well, mine has been bad too if you include cars (in-order of ownership):

2007 Ford Fiesta = sold (good condition),
2002 Renault Laguna = scrapped (engine runaway mode),
2004 Toyota Celica = written-off (non-fault),
1997 BMW 540i = written-off (fault),
2004 Nissan Primera = scrapped (non-economical repair needed for MOT),
2006 BMW 750i = written-off (non-fault),
2009 Volvo S60 T5 = written-off (non-fault),
2002 Jaguar X-type = scrapped (non-economical repair needed for MOT),
2009 Jaguar XF = written-off (non-fault),
2020 Zontes ZT125-U = still owned (good condition),
2009 Vauxhall Vectra = scrapped (non-economical repair needed for MOT),
2009 Kawasaki ER-6F = still owned (fair condition but knocked over once (non-fault) and looped once (fault)),
2005 Ford Fiesta = sold (good condition),
2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range = still owned (good condition).

EDIT - I drive and ride all my vehicles hard in all honesty. When I go to sell my two bikes next year I fully expect to sell them off below average market value to just move them on. Vehicles are just tools or toys to me. I look after the Tesla and when I get a new Ducati/ Suzuki I will keep it as a fair-weather belle. Probably get another cheap bike to just fucking hoon and rag about though.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: c_dug, killer of bikes. Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
c_dug wrote:

Well, mine has been bad too if you include cars (in-order of ownership):

2007 Ford Fiesta = sold (good condition),
2002 Renault Laguna = scrapped (engine runaway mode),
2004 Toyota Celica = written-off (non-fault),
1997 BMW 540i = written-off (fault),
2004 Nissan Primera = scrapped (non-economical repair needed for MOT),
2006 BMW 750i = written-off (non-fault),
2009 Volvo S60 T5 = written-off (non-fault),
2002 Jaguar X-type = scrapped (non-economical repair needed for MOT),
2009 Jaguar XF = written-off (non-fault),
2020 Zontes ZT125-U = still owned (good condition),
2009 Vauxhall Vectra = scrapped (non-economical repair needed for MOT),
2009 Kawasaki ER-6F = still owned (fair condition but knocked over once (non-fault) and looped once (fault)),
2005 Ford Fiesta = sold (good condition),
2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range = still owned (good condition).

EDIT - I drive and ride all my vehicles hard in all honesty. When I go to sell my two bikes next year I fully expect to sell them off below average market value to just move them on. Vehicles are just tools or toys to me. I look after the Tesla and when I get a new Ducati/ Suzuki I will keep it as a fair-weather belle. Probably get another cheap bike to just fucking hoon and rag about though.

Well, no wonder your insurance is a teensy weeny bit loaded. Laughing

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: c_dug, killer of bikes. Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
c_dug wrote:

Didn't I read somewhere that they do that if they've been dropped and laid on their side causing some sort of air lock in the oil path? I may have dreamt that though.

Thinking it got knocked over by a car when parked up about a year back, but hardly used since then. Be interested in where you saw that, it's not something I've come across before.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: c_dug, killer of bikes. Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

Thinking it got knocked over by a car when parked up about a year back, but hardly used since then. Be interested in where you saw that, it's not something I've come across before.
It was in a paper motorcycle magazine a few years ago, it was a BMW inline 4. It had fallen over and later being ridden it had self destructed. The owner was told that after a fall it should have had an oil change or something to ensure no air pockets somewhere in the engine and he was complaining that whoever heard of such a thing before. As I said, it is a vague memory and a google search doesn't seem to find anything. It doesn't help that I don't know the various model names.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

For it to throw a leg oot the bed there must probably have been warning signs ignored.

Normally a wallied oot Big end bearing lets go due to fatigue if not stopped when the clatter is noticed.

Or big end nut run off.

Big end bolt sheared.
Con-rod journal fatigued.

My K1300GT has about 26k on now. I'll whip the conrods out this weekend and get them magnafluxed for LOLs. Shocked

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: c_dug, killer of bikes. Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

nope .. but here is the Blue Peter your fishing for ...

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
For it to throw a leg oot the bed there must probably have been warning signs ignored.

Normally a wallied oot Big end bearing lets go due to fatigue if not stopped when the clatter is noticed.

Or big end nut run off.

Big end bolt sheared.
Con-rod journal fatigued.

My K1300GT has about 26k on now. I'll whip the conrods out this weekend and get them magnafluxed for LOLs. Shocked

Nothing I noticed at least, it's basically just been ridden 75 miles up the M1 and back a few times a week for the past month, and it's ridden without a hitch the whole time.

I do ride with music on my cardo so I suppose I could have missed a telltale noise.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: c_dug, killer of bikes. Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Well, no wonder your insurance is a teensy weeny bit loaded. Laughing

It's not that bad really, I've only had two insurance claims on my record in the last 5 years. One was my fault and the other wasn't Laughing

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:45 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not the first time I've heard of the GT doing that. Infact I've heard of about 6 of them doing the same thing - don't get me started on the amount of S' I've seen with similar issues.

Absolute sodding garbage the entire lot of them.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps some of you more experienced heads could clue me in about something.

What's it like, running a bike into the ground? Is there an immediate lockup when, for example, a conrod gives up? Do you have time to pull in the clutch and bring it to a safe halt? The one time I suspect a mechanical fault on a bike caused the rear wheel to lock (it wasn't mine - it was hired for the day) it wasn't fun. I've got an old bike that's meticulously maintained but which is high mileage. I've decided to run into the ground and not restore when it eventually goes bang. Would be nice to know what to expect (preferably not on a smart motorway lol).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

What's it like, running a bike into the ground? Is there an immediate lockup when, for example, a conrod gives up? Do you have time to pull in the clutch and bring it to a safe halt? The one time I suspect a mechanical fault on a bike caused the rear wheel to lock (it wasn't mine - it was hired for the day) it wasn't fun. I've got an old bike that's meticulously maintained but which is high mileage. I've decided to run into the ground and not restore when it eventually goes bang. Would be nice to know what to expect (preferably not on a smart motorway lol).

I had a front tire puncture on an RD250 with a tubed roadrunner front tire on a motorway. Instant deflation and I went from 70mph in no.3 lane to across the hard shoulder with zero control and ended up coming off on grass beyond the hard shoulder. If it's anything like that make sure your will is in place because how i never died I'm not sure.

On a smart motorway with todays traffic (it was in the late 70's) I would have been squelched.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I've got an old bike that's meticulously maintained but which is high mileage. I've decided to run into the ground and not restore when it eventually goes bang. Would be nice to know what to expect (preferably not on a smart motorway lol).

Keep maintaining that old lump. You might find that takes a lot longer to run a well cared-for bike into the ground than you thought.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

What's it like, running a bike into the ground? Is there an immediate lockup when, for example, a conrod gives up?

Mine didn't lock up, I actually thought I'd lost a coil to start with, it felt like it just stopped firing on one cylinder, and then two cylinders.

It only became apparent what had happened when I got to the hard shoulder and saw a pool of oil under the bike, and subsequently found a hole in the engine case.

There's a lot of inertia in an engine spinning at motorway speeds, I suspect it takes something pretty spectacular to cause a complete lock up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1