Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Time for new leathers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Time for new leathers Reply with quote

I'm in need of new leathers, the ones I have are very old now and looking tatty (Stompgrip is tearing the knee area apart).

I wanted Alpinestars so I could pretend to be Marc Marquez (hopefully without the crashing)*, however stock availability is very poor, both online and generally in the North.

*just kidding I was more interested in being compatible with Tech Air as longer term investment

RST leathers seem more readily available, I can see stock in JS in Newcastle (which is in Gateshead....not Newcastle)

What's the general opinion of RST vs Alpinestars?

I can get a jacket and trousers from RST for the price I was looking at paying just for a jacket from Alpinestars, not that the money element is that important, but does it show lower quality?

Or is it like helmets and fit is more important than brand?

Opinions?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:48 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

RST started off as this no name budget brand, but they seem to have transitioned into the make of choice of racers and the like. I've got and older RST suit, and I crashed in it, and it held up really well. it's a 2 piece so one of the pocket zips was wrecked, but other than that it's still useable.

That's probably they key thing, is that back in the day Dianese suits you could crash in, but maybe once and then they'd be wrecked. Older BKS and Hideout were racers choice because you could crash in them multiple times and they'd still be useable. RST seem to be more in that direction than A* and Dianese IMO.

If you want to look like a MotoGP rider, absolutely pay the money for Dianese or Alpinestars. If you want reasonably priced kit that works I'd be happy to recommend RST personally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no real desire to look like MM93, I was simply using him as a reference point that A*s are used a lot in racing and surely that counts for something.

I've watched some YouTube videos today (quiet day at work) and everything is positive about RST.

Given the price, I'm certainly tempted to go try some stuff on, especially as it's available locally.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have RST Black Series two piece leathers and they are well made and have lasted me over 7 years without any issues. I would buy RST again.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:54 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly as mentioned, RST seem to have changed a lot, a few people i know who do a lot of track days wear their leathers

dont think you will have any issues personally

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically just go to RST for my kit now, never had issues with them, although never had to use it in anger....

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely fit is an important concern? I like Furygan kit but I tried on their leather jeans and I looked like I was wearing WW1 jodhpurs. Consequently I’ve only ever worn Wolf (Nimbus) leather jeans. I’ve crashed in them too and they were useable for a long time afterwards. Sadly discontinued.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I like Furygan kit but I tried on their leather jeans and I looked like I was wearing WW1 jodhpurs.

Laughing

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1