Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

It's not going to happen near me... but then it does

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: It's not going to happen near me... but then it does Reply with quote

I've generally never really worried about having my bike nicked from under me.
I've always associated 2-up moped riders in balaclavas acting like helmets but not wearing them, to London and city centre areas. I'd also hope my bike is quick enough to nip away from trouble if I ever need to.

So it's a bit of a shock when something like this happens 5mins down the road from you! It does make me think twice about how much more vulnerable bikers are, and the reason for the name 'cagers'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-61612913
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I think a combination of reduced policing and greater wariness over liability means "moped scum" can get away with all sorts now. I give any scooter/moped that's 2-up a wide berth. I don't care if they're wearing helmets or not, if they're 2-up on a small bike around town I see that as risky and will avoid.

I got hounded the other day by two balaclava'd youths on electric off road bikes when I was cycling; not sure if they were just trying to harass me or wanted to nick my bike, but I made progress through some tight cycle barriers and when I got to the main road they gave up. Still not pleasant though.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Sadly I think a combination of reduced policing and greater wariness over liability means "moped scum" can get away with all sorts now. I give any scooter/moped that's 2-up a wide berth. I don't care if they're wearing helmets or not, if they're 2-up on a small bike around town I see that as risky and will avoid.

I got hounded the other day by two balaclava'd youths on electric off road bikes when I was cycling; not sure if they were just trying to harass me or wanted to nick my bike, but I made progress through some tight cycle barriers and when I got to the main road they gave up. Still not pleasant though.
The irony some youths don't get now is these off roader ebikes can be worth a chunk more than a commuter motorbike and be less powerful. Why would you want to target a lesser thing than what you're using?

Not presuming that was your situation but it easily can be someone's.

The biggest problem with car/bike theft is nobody cares to get involved or take preventative steps until it happens to them or direct family, which is obviously way too late to do anything about.

I don't trust or stay near anyone with a balaclava, there's no need for it without a full face helmet.

Once I buy myself another bike as summer ends it'll be fitted with a makeshift baseball bat.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followed some barraclavas riding enduro bikes yesterday. Kept distance, esspecially as they kept looking around at me, almost crashing a few times.. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
]The irony some youths don't get now is these off roader ebikes can be worth a chunk more than a commuter motorbike and be less powerful. Why would you want to target a lesser thing than what you're using?

Not presuming that was your situation but it easily can be someone's.

I was cycling a 26 year old hack of a bicycle; sum cost of the parts is probably a few hundred quid at absolute most, probably worth a lot less now. It's steel so not light either; I'd be surprised if they manage to carry it while riding. I'd be happy enough with the swap, I'd flog the ebike and get myself a nicer bike to commute on. Maybe I've got this all wrong and should be seeing these things as an opportunity not a risk? Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
The irony some youths don't get now is these off roader ebikes can be worth a chunk more than a commuter motorbike and be less powerful. Why would you want to target a lesser thing than what you're using?

You're assuming they're going to dump their ebike and both make off on the stolen motorbike - why wouldn't they just make their getaway on both machines? So the ebike's value isn't relevant (though isn't that going to have been nicked anyway?)

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
st3v3 wrote:

You're assuming they're going to dump their ebike and both make off on the stolen motorbike - why wouldn't they just make their getaway on both machines? So the ebike's value isn't relevant (though isn't that going to have been nicked anyway?)
I meant the olde ICE bike be less powerful; badly worded reply.

They wouldn't they would take both, as currently happens, point was if they are already riding an off roader style eBike it won't be worth less than 2-3k, where as an NTV or Bandit commuter won't reach 2k values ever again Laughing
Didn't make any sense to pinch a relic that's worth less than the brand new toy they're already on.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 07 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: It's not going to happen near me... but then it does Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
I've generally never really worried about having my bike nicked from under me.
I've always associated 2-up moped riders in balaclavas acting like helmets but not wearing them, to London and city centre areas. I'd also hope my bike is quick enough to nip away from trouble if I ever need to.

So it's a bit of a shock when something like this happens 5mins down the road from you! It does make me think twice about how much more vulnerable bikers are, and the reason for the name 'cagers'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-61612913

Have you been living under a rock??

It's been happening in Sheffield for about 18 months now, i've been seeing it all across the local news feeds/FB groups since the easing of restrictions

It seems they have run out of easy targets though, as they have now more recently crossed the border into Derbyshire (Dronfield, Chesterfield, Barlborugh etc)

Scary times

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 07 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: It's not going to happen near me... but then it does Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Have you been living under a rock?? ....

they have now more recently crossed the border into Derbyshire (Dronfield, Chesterfield, Barlborugh etc)

I think you've answered your own question there! Laughing
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 07 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: It's not going to happen near me... but then it does Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:
Have you been living under a rock?? ....

they have now more recently crossed the border into Derbyshire (Dronfield, Chesterfield, Barlborugh etc)

I think you've answered your own question there! Laughing

Touche!!

But it is far more widespread than just Londinium and vast Metropolises, and has been for some time now
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 324 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1