Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fuel-injected 2003 (5PW) R1 stalling.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Fuel-injected 2003 (5PW) R1 stalling. Reply with quote

I’m on the verge of getting my fuel-injected 2003 (5PW) R1 hauled off to the bike shop for diagnosis and repair. Save me the ignominy and cost.

I didn’t use this bike through lockdown but I had stored it with a full tank and a dash of Silkolene Pro-FST. I’ve since emptied the tank completely (what came out looked clean) and refilled with fresh petrol. The bike also had a new battery this month.

It starts fine every time but once warmed up it stalls with any hint of throttle even in neutral and regardless of side stand or clutch lever position.

It has,

Arrow Fresh fuel.
Arrow New battery.
Arrow Charging system is working (13.5v).
Arrow Downpipe temperatures (IR gun) seemed similar.
Arrow Air filter is clean and housing is secure on throttle bodies.
Arrow No change with fuel cap open.
Arrow No crimped lines.
Arrow No air leaks I can find.
Arrow Clutch isn’t stuck.
Arrow Fast idle (wax) valve seems to be working. Removed and cleaned anyway.
Arrow Electrical connectors all good and clean.
Arrow New spark plugs.
Arrow 4 new ignition coils. (Originals had resistance slightly over spec but new ones didn’t fix it.)
Arrow New air temperature sensor. (As above. Losing faith in electrical component specs.)
Arrow EXUP valve and fuel pump working.
Arrow No engine warning light.
Arrow Throttle position sensor is a possibility but diagnostics check out ok and a new one is £300. (It’s just a potentiometer!)
Arrow Valve clearances overdue. Suspect this but the problem came on suddenly, which suggests electrical to me.

I’m guessing a blocked injector wouldn’t allow easy starting.
Tempted to take a punt on a new TPS.
Would dodgy valve clearances allow easy starting and warm up, but stalling with any throttle opening?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar problem years ago on my GSX 1400 where cleaning the injectors / rails gave it more fuel.
Also a fuel filter.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:17 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have gone with TPS based on all that personally. How did you check it? Measured the resistances of open/closed?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dash has a nifty built-in diagnostic where you can roll the throttle and watch the numeric response. Fully closed = 18 (spec 15-17), fully open = low 90s (spec 97-100), but ran ok like this before. No leaps or stutters in the numbers as you roll the throttle across the full range. The TPS is a pain to get to. Yeah… maybe I will.
Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
The dash has a nifty built-in diagnostic where you can roll the throttle and watch the numeric response. Fully closed = 18 (spec 15-17), fully open = low 90s (spec 97-100), but ran ok like this before. No leaps or stutters in the numbers as you roll the throttle across the full range. The TPS is a pain to get to. Yeah… maybe I will.
Thumbs Up

Can you unplug it and check those readings ona DMM? Does it come apart for cleaning (with contact cleaner for example) like the TV repair man* used to do Wink.

* another career option consigned to the annuls of history

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logically when you open the throttle you're letting more air in. What should also happen is the TPS numbers go up. The ECU goes and looks up in its map how much fuel is required for a given throttle position taking into account air density, temperature etc. It then says to the injector how many milliseconds to open. There's other stuff like timing advance but that'd affect peak performance rather general operation.

Given the diagnostics do show the TPS output I doubt it's that. Blocked injector? What all of them?! (I'm assuming one throttle body per cylinder + injector.)

How about fuel pump? If there's no pressure maybe there's enough dribble for idle just from gravity Thinking

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

How about fuel pump? If there's no pressure maybe there's enough dribble for idle just from gravity Thinking

.. good call. and where there's a fuel pump there's usually a fuel filter Thinking

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to confirm, you can't get it to climb revs using the throttle at all? Does it have any kind of anti-stall (i.e. automated slight rev pickup when releasing the clutch) - if so, maybe try easing out the clutch in gear and see if the revs pick up a bit. Does the wax idle cause the revs to elevate when running from stone cold (today would be a good day to test this as it's pretty chilly at the moment).

It's odd; if it was the TPS then I'd expect a more likely outcome is the revs just don't rise, not that it stalls - if the ECU wasn't getting the signal from the TPS, the revs would just stay the same. The fact it stalls suggests something is being detected from the TPS. EasyX might have a point about the pump - does it whirr audibly when the ignition is turned on?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious if very slowly you increase the throttle does reach a cut off point and die or just get steadily worse and eventually stall?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got an IAT or MAP/MAF on that?

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:00 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean or replace the fuel filter.
Clean the injectors , not with a can of snake oil. Actually remove them and blow them out with brake cleaner. I did this on some blokes car - kept going down onto 3 on idle - emissions were no good. Time + can of brake cleaner + 2 sheets blue paper. Punter" It's never run as well."

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you cleaned the filter inside the fuel tank ?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Can you unplug it and check those readings ona DMM? Does it come apart for cleaning (with contact cleaner for example) like the TV repair man* used to do Wink.

Thumbs Up Will do, but it’ll have to wait until Thursday.

Easy-X wrote:
Given the diagnostics do show the TPS output I doubt it's that. Blocked injector? What all of them?! (I'm assuming one throttle body per cylinder + injector.)

There’s another diagnostic to test the injectors one by one, but it just makes them click. It doesn’t mean one isn’t blocked, - but the bike starts first time.

The fuel pump cycles as normal when the key is turned, and I know it works because I mistakenly left a hose off. Embarassed Fuel pressure is something I haven’t tested, - but the bike starts first time.

A100man wrote:
and where there's a fuel pump there's usually a fuel filter Thinking

The fuel filter is inside the pump, which is inside the tank. Removing the pump (or reinstalling?) according to YouTube involves snipping a plastic tab off. Apparently the filter is a pillow-like pad which I don’t think is even listed as a spare part. The tank and it’s contents look clean so although I considered the fuel filter as a possibility I decided it was unlikely. I’ll come back to it though.

ThunderGuts wrote:
So to confirm, you can't get it to climb revs using the throttle at all? Does it have any kind of anti-stall (i.e. automated slight rev pickup when releasing the clutch) - if so, maybe try easing out the clutch in gear and see if the revs pick up a bit. Does the wax idle cause the revs to elevate when running from stone cold (today would be a good day to test this as it's pretty chilly at the moment).

The engine stops on the merest whiff of throttle.
No anti-stall. This was 1st generation FI.
I’ve wondered about the wax-idle valve before. For a long time now the bike warm up has been a bit odd, like it starts at 1100 rpm and then after a minute the revs rise noticeably and stabilise, then gradually come down when the bike is warmed up and ready to go. It used to leap to high revs and only come down towards the end of the warm up. TPS perhaps, but the throttle response is exemplary on the move. Started yesterday in cool weather the revs didn’t rise much at all but the engine was happy to warm up and idle until I touched the throttle.

UncleBFester wrote:
You got an IAT or MAP/MAF on that?

I’ve changed the intake air temperature sensor. No change. It’s got other sensors though I couldn’t point at them, I’ll have to consult the service manual. They’re not flagging fault codes though.

The problem might be heat-related since the warm-up phase is fine. Once warm I can raise the revs without stalling by pushing back the spring-loaded bar that the wax idle unit was pushing against.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get the engine hot at tickover,perform a compression test.If the readings are low then check the valve clearances.

A friend was having big problems with his 5PW-R1 and so took his bike to a shop to have the shim clearances done.Several had no clearance at all.Cost him £300,which is cheap compared to some places that I have heard about.

Always have a 'Plan B'

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had my 929, I had an issue with the wax unit (actually the air intake valves it connected to). The adjustment was way off, so when the engine was cold I'd have cold start revs up to about 4000 before I adjusted the lever back down.

Possibly a similar thing going on here if you're saying you can raise the revs by manipulating the wax unit when the bike's warm? When you're pushing it, are you opening the idle air intake valves or closing them?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
When I had my 929, I had an issue with the wax unit (actually the air intake valves it connected to). The adjustment was way off, so when the engine was cold I'd have cold start revs up to about 4000 before I adjusted the lever back down.

Possibly a similar thing going on here if you're saying you can raise the revs by manipulating the wax unit when the bike's warm? When you're pushing it, are you opening the idle air intake valves or closing them?

I'm effectively adding choke, so less air/more fuel.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:24 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you doing that on FI? If you mean the lever, thats just a fast idle lever.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
How are you doing that on FI? If you mean the lever, thats just a fast idle lever.

Oh, I assumed it was tweaking the mixture for cold running like an automatic choke. Is it possible then, that I’ve got the idle speed screw and the fast idle adjuster each so far out of whack they’re not working right together?*

The fast idle screw is all the way out so the rod barely touches the stop.

The thing is, I hadn’t touched it before this problem arose.

Edit: * I mean, is one dependant on the setting of the other?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Can you unplug TPS and check those readings on a DMM?

Well, despite the dash diagnostic suggesting it was fine the throttle position sensor failed the first resistance test in the manual, which says replace. There was no room to access the security torx screws without lifting the throttle bodies. I had great difficulty reaching the four clamp screws and then persuading the rubber seals to let go, but eventually the throttle bodies with the TPS on the right came free. I have a new TPS to install tomorrow and I plan to replace those torx with a hex head (not Allen) which ought to make them accessible more easily if there’s a next time. One of them took a beating coming out anyway.

I still don’t have much faith in electrical checks against the given spec, but the Yamaha service manual says 3.5 ~ 6.5 kOhms and I was seeing 13. I’ll be annoyed if this doesn’t work but a faulty throttle position sensor makes sense.
Praying

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:17 - 03 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPS makes sense to me, in that it's the only bit where a small amount of trouble can have an impact that big.

If the injectors were seriously blocked, it wouldn't idle. It also takes a lot more to block and injector than it does to clog a jet on a carb, squirting fuel through them under pressure does a good job of cleaning them.

Any kind of air flow or air pressure sensor problem would either give you no start, rough idle, or slightly rough running elsewhere. Not a perfect idle but nothing else.

So TPS makes sense. It's getting the amount of air going into the engine totally wrong, and providing a fuel/air ratio that won't burn.

General old-school thing, it's worth going hunting for corrosion in the electrical system anyway and cleaning it up when a bike has been sitting for a long while. Brakes may need the same treatment.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:26 - 03 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

did it work ?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 03 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit distracted today with hay fever and other stuff so I didn’t finish the job. M5 x 10mm hex head bolts were hard to find locally so I was thinking of cutting a couple down to size but instead plumped for cap head Allen bolts from Halfords, and I had to go back for flat and split lock/spring washers because the originals wouldn’t come off the old Torx bolts for some reason. I also bought a set of Bondhus Stubby head Allen keys which should make TPS access easier ‘next time.’ I don’t know why I think there’ll be a next time but I like to address annoying fixing issues. Call it an upgrade.

I haven’t got the throttle bodies entirely free, they just lift a couple of inches which makes TPS access easier, but various fittings still in place which I can’t be bothered to remove are offering some resistance. Consequently I dropped the fiddly 1cm bolts and washers, and it turns out these stainless steel bolts aren’t magnetic (a magnet on a telescopic stick being my No. 1 tool). I thought I’d been sold aluminium bolts but the explanation is probably that they contain austenite.

That’s where I left it. Based on experience I could faff around all evening and not get the job done, but it’ll go together at the first attempt (starting with Blu-tack on a stick) tomorrow. Know when to take a break, I say.

Sorry BRUN, it’s a cliffhanger.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 03 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the late Dan Blankenship said, progress goes forwards AND backwards Mr. Green

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I decided the throttle body unit would have to come free, and even that wasn’t easy what with stuck electrical connectors. Nothing wrong with them inside but the plastic just didn’t seem to want to release. Right decision though, the TPS installation was a lot easier.

I briefly wondered about going that bit further and doing valve clearances but I’ve never done it before and I’d only do it on a healthy bike, otherwise if it didn’t run I wouldn’t know whether I’d fixed the original problem and botched something else, or vice versa. One problem at a time. I already feel like I’ve bitten off more than I can chew but I will get this done. Mechanic’s hourly rates are looking like a bargain now though!

TPS installed, I had it upside down at first but I’d taken photos. I also noted that the throttle body is aluminium (I think) so I went easy on the new steel bolts, letting the spring washer do it’s thing rather than cranking down all the way. The TPS angle adjustment by reference to a voltmeter gave an odd, unstable reading, slowly climbing. I used the dash diagnostic to set it up but will try the voltmeter again when the throttle bodies are back on.

Throttle body re-installation isn’t going well. I thought I’d got it, tighten up the clamps and gave it a wiggle, it came loose. I’ve lightly oiled the rubber seals but the bodies just won’t go on.

I’ve now turned to alcohol indoors. Mañana.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairdryer - you need them as pliable as you can or if they are can be easily removed, soak them in very hot water before fitting. Obvs align the clips so you can get at them once they are fitted.

edit: Make sure the clamps are sufficiently slack to give the rubbers space to expand over the lips.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2