Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The New Knobhead

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 03 Jun 2022    Post subject: The New Knobhead Reply with quote

We had the Mondeo man, The XR3 and XR4 youfff the BMW driver, Audi and Mercedes, We had the Hatch Back Horrors too. Now the new Knob on the road comes in various types and model of car, but they all have that one thing in common, THE GREEN STRIP OF STUPIDITY on the reg plate. Seems to be a "type" that are now the proud users of these vehicles and they seem to be total KNOBHEADS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:30 - 03 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: The New Knobhead Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
THE GREEN STRIP OF STUPIDITY

All of them?

https://metro.co.uk/2022/01/12/what-do-the-green-stripes-on-car-number-plates-mean-15897593/

Question

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 03 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will I get it into my thick senile brain not to click on Ste's links.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 03 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
When will I get it into my thick senile brain not to click on Ste's links.

Just hover over them. If they show a short form URL then don't click them. Laughing

Oh and the answer is probably never Wink

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:50 - 03 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green strip just means it's an electric car.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but no but

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that makes me a knobhead then. Crying or Very sad

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:52 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

And there has to be some way to virtue signal that. It's fairly pointless ditching convention and buying a
electric vehicle if you can't convey your moral and environmental superiority to the luddites who resist change.
Teslas are recognisable, but the vast majority of EV/Hybrid vehicles are just clones of ICE counterparts, how else will
everyone know how much better than them I am??

Every electric vehicle bought is a nail in the coffin of ICE, when non electric bikes are eventually banned, all the
people in their mobile refrigerators will have played their part in contributing to that. The thing that really gets me
is this whole EV thing is a reboot of the whole "buy a diesel, better mpg and cheaper fuel/tax breaks" push in the 90's that
saw diesel engines installed in cars instead of just commercial vehicles. Now of course, diesel is aids. How long until EV's
are the new aids? 20 years or less imo. Also, in combination with ANPR, smart meters you're buying something they
can ultimately switch off or restrict usage of when it suits them. No thanks. I won't buy electric until there's no other option left.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:10 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downshift for electric cars.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Robby wrote:

And there has to be some way to virtue signal that.

Thumbs Up

Unless there is some sort of safety warning implied by the plate I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with the information otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's also part of the imminent road pricing they've been setting the infrastructure up for for literally years now.
I'm sure it's just so the automated system can recognise vehicles being used not on their allocated days and fine accordingly,
cos IMO that's coming too. ANPR was always about revenue raising and control. It's easier for them to control a nation of
electric vehicles since they will have the ability to switch off your charging setup remotely via your smart meter,
forcing you to make alternative arrangements aka public transport. It's always been a policy of mine to shun anything
that's aggressively pushed at me, especially those with the risk or suggestion of punitive action for failing to comply.

Things that spring to mind include the worldwide (semi) forced vaccination' program, (I didn't play that game
at all and remain vaccine free) the TV licence & all woke agendas,(Not a bean from me will line the BBCs pocket, I have
issue with contributing to the coffers of any organisation that hates me because I'm white, male and fairly normal.)
"smart" meters (no way Jose, but their constant letters do have a threatening undertone) and good old Track and
Trace (Where I deliberately gave false information whenever I had to sign into a pub or restaurant and purposefully left
my phone at home most of the time.) The push to EV's is just like all of these, comply or pay somehow. Cities banning diesel
vehicles and fining massively for transgressions of their policy is just the start of this. Trouble is when you are policed by a
program, they cant do nuance, so a set of £12 false plates is all you need to avoid their surveillance and fuckery. Shame
that 99% of people are sheep and will just hand over their freedoms willingly, some people crave being led as it admonishes
them of any responsibility when balls hit tarmac. Just look at all the loyal subjects using their time off from their daily grind
to go and look at the Queen, someone who would happily see you shot for getting too close to her, 'gawd love her" Rolling Eyes
That apathy combined with a need to be led is what they are counting on with their ever growing list of standards we should
live by, or else.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are new bus lanes around where I live, enforced by cameras.

At first, they were simply bus lanes. The people protested because they simply stole a lane from a dual carriageway. The council resisted the protests, by saying they were temporary bus lanes, and this was just a trial period, for emissions testing. Then people said, if it's about emissions, why not allow cycling. The council agreed. Then a local political lobby (taxi drivers) made an argument about transporting disabled people around and being an essential service. They are really intertwined with the council, so the council made an exception for them, as well. Then it was a "temporary" bicycle, bus and taxi lane. The escooterists and delivery boys made a complaint about not being allowed to use it. The ebikes and escooters saying they were green, and the delivery boys saying they were being forced to idle in traffic. The council didn't want to allow it, but escooters on the road are classed as motorcycles, and escooters are "green". Therefore, they allowed motorcycles to use the lane. Then, the council declared the trial period was over, and that emissions were lower (they ignored the fact that measurements were taken over lockdown, when nobody was on the roads), and as a result the bus, cycle, motorcycle, taxi lane was to be permanent.

Guess who's the latest to be granted the use of that lane? Yep, EVs. The sign is a green square, added to the same sign that shows a bicycle, motorcycle, bus and taxi.

The above is coming, to wherever you may live, as well. The place where I live is becoming London. They would not have allowed motorcycles at all, but for the argument that escooters and electrically assisted bicycles are, currently, classed as mopeds and motorcycles.

I am sure I am not the only one to see this coming, imminently. Next time you look at bikes on Ebay, look at everything made in the 1990s. It's all discounted because no matter where you live - well...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:33 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you're completely wrong about electrically assisted bikes. They actually are specifically expected from the provisions of the road traffic act.

That's why you don't need licence, insurance, mot etc and you can't be done for breaking road traffic laws.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that. Wow - that's sheer madness. The energy density of battery cells will greatly improve, the bikes will be upgraded, nobody will check, and then you'll have full-power motorcycles with pedals attached, with no accountability for whatever adverse thing might happen. What could possibly go wrong? Well, this has all happened before. Helmet laws, registration, tests and licences for bikes were brought in over time because of fatalities. The current situation just seems to reinforce an impression that it's politics and no longer a sense of fairness and equality that determines if you're wrong. This is why I only ever ride with an action camera rolling. If something happens, I would get the blame and liability while the drunk e-cyclist who was going the wrong way down the road would be a "victim". If a cyclist or e-cyclist injures or kills a kid, what will happen if it's not a kid of the Islington social class? Big fat nothing, I expect. Or maybe the kid will get a bill for the damage to the ebike.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:37 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I didn't know that. Wow - that's sheer madness. The energy density of battery cells will greatly improve, the bikes will be upgraded, nobody will check, and then you'll have full-power motorcycles with pedals attached, with no accountability for whatever adverse thing might happen. What could possibly go wrong? Well, this has all happened before. Helmet laws, registration, tests and licences for bikes were brought in over time because of fatalities. The current situation just seems to reinforce an impression that it's politics and no longer a sense of fairness and equality that determines if you're wrong. This is why I only ever ride with an action camera rolling. If something happens, I would get the blame and liability while the drunk e-cyclist who was going the wrong way down the road would be a "victim". If a cyclist or e-cyclist injures or kills a kid, what will happen if it's not a kid of the Islington social class? Big fat nothing, I expect. Or maybe the kid will get a bill for the damage to the ebike.

If it does more than 15mph or is not pedal assist, it's a motorcycle not an electric bicycle and needs to be registered and insured. The police are increasingly doing people for it. If they see you going uphill without pedalling or bombing down the road at 40mph, they will do you for driving an unregistered motor vehicle with no insurance and will seize the vehicle. They're doing it all the time with electric scooters (which are not pedal assist and are therefore motor vehicles). It's no different to people fitting those little engines to push bikes.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fair enough and you're absolutely right. However, this is a country of divides, and I am fairly confident there will not be any enforcement of such laws in densely populated areas.

Even in the town where I live there are such divides. I live close to a park which gets regular police patrol cars visiting throughout the day, every day, to keep the drug dealing to a minimum. There is another park in the same town which is on the way down, and has been targeted by drug users and suppliers because of a lack of a police presence. And yet another park which is (and has been for many years) a known drugs and prostitution supermarket, day and night. The park that gets policed is the one in the area where local thugs run an extortion racket and call it a security business, and where every planning application gets pushed through thanks to local landowners who control the council. It's like a microcosm of British society. This is the reason for my skepticism regarding enforcement.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:48 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the green strip on number plates have touched a few nerves.

The virtue signalling diatribe is particularly impressive, predictably verging into anti-vax territory, and then some tinfoil hattery about road pricing being just around the corner.

EVs come with a green strip on the plate. The owners aren't going out of their way to have it, but it's nice to see someone feeling so offended about it.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what’s it for?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
But what’s it for?

The latest iteration of this Sad

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:27 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea. I presume it's a bit like the flag shaggers and their union flag number plates.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
But what’s it for?

This.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
But what’s it for?

[url= https://www.gov.uk/government/news/green-number-plates-get-the-green-light-for-a-zero-emission-future]This.[/url]

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Looks like the green strip on number plates have touched a few nerves.

The virtue signalling diatribe is particularly impressive, predictably verging into anti-vax territory, and then some tinfoil hattery about road pricing being just around the corner.

EVs come with a green strip on the plate. The owners aren't going out of their way to have it, but it's nice to see someone feeling so offended about it.

Not offended at all, just pointing out that I'd sooner walk than drive an electric car and how I think it ties in with
how we are increasingly told what to think, say and do by those that apparently know best, thus saving us from ourselves.
BTW Sickpup, I noticed the neg, can't take it seriously from a bloke with a rusty old piece of crap in his front garden
for years on end, do you have an old sofa and a broken fridge as well? Here's a little article written in your language
(the Guardian) dated February this year, if you think my argument is redundant how about you say why rather than
just neg me and give Robby a little reach around to cement your point whatever that is. The article talks about ANPR,
and taxation changes for EV's once (of course) they have everyone on the teat and reliant on the technology, pretty
much exactly the same way diesel ended up. Super unleaded is cheaper than diesel now, even though diesel
is far easier to manufacture than petrol so how can this be? It's almost like they are de-incentivising (through artificial price
manipulation) the exact same technology they lured us into widespread use of with incentives back in the 90's,
the main one being better MPG from a cheaper fuel than petrol. Have to say I fell for that one myself. I won't be fooled again.

When/if my van ever dies, (may be a while since I've had all the emissions control equipment removed and
software deleted so no DPF issues any more. A genius technology that made diesels commonly unreliable for the first
time and all in the name of the protecting the environment) I'll replace that with a petrol alternative as well. It now costs
me more to tax than insure it. How? Of my small fleet of four (roadworthy) vehicles its annual tax bill is over double
that of my 2 litre petrol car. Just like magic. I suppose whatever happens they have to keep the tax take as
high as possible, since we are the self appointed hospital and dosshouse of the world these days.
Plenty of hungry mouths and outstretched hands to fill so we can feel better about ourselves, more arriving daily. Laughing

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/04/uk-road-pricing-transport-committee-mps-electric-shift

Quote:
Steve Gooding, director of the foundation, said: “Drivers choosing to go electric deserve to know what is coming next – particularly if the promise of cheap per-mile running costs is set to be undermined by a future tax change. If the Treasury is thinking it can leave this issue for another day but still recoup their losses from electric vehicles they risk a furious backlash.”

When I bought a (working, modern, clean running and functional) car late last year, I had the choice of diesel or petrol,
I'd have preferred a diesel as I like the way they deliver power. But given Bristol is still kicking the can around to
BAN diesel vehicles completely and for now has settled for a pollution charging zone in the city, (where have we seen that
before?) this will certainly affect me since I'm 10 minutes if that from Central Bristol. That zone is part of my commute.
So I opted for petrol instead and went Jap for their reliability, my 2018 car is likely to last me some time, theoretically
decades. It certainly has a longer projected lifespan than a lithium battery, so it may be a fair while before its a
rusting wreck in someone else's front garden.

Seems many people can't tell when they're being bent over for a good old reaming at a later date. Personally I refuse
to set myself on fire just to keep someone else warm. Talking of fire, I must admit I am enjoying watching the world
burn one bad decision from our overseers at a time. Enjoy the manufactured recession just around the
corner folks or is someone going to tell me that's tinfoilhattery as well? I sure am glad my house is fully paid for,
I'd hate to be paying a mortgage right now.

Some conservatively minded bloke once said "Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it.".
Wise words indeed.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through Bristol recently and wow... talk about conforming to a stereotype, what a shithole. Graffiti on almost every surface imaginable. About the most uninviting city I've ever had the misfortune to visit Sad

Fundamentally I believe people know they're being lied to. Pollution in cities is a problem but every "solution" just seems like abuse. Congestion is the number one issue, solution: take away most of the roads (bus lanes, cycle super highways) and then charge eye-watering amounts for what's left.

"But we want to disincentivise vehicle use!" no this is "the beatings will continue till moral improves." Another example of Repressive Tolerance Sad

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:53 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always impressed by the mental gymnastics of people who think that government in general is incompetent in all things, but is also engaged in a complex and effective long-term plan to oppress them.

No ones is forcing you to buy an EV. Even if you wanted to right now, you'd be paying a premium for it having a long wait time. You can keeping running fossil fuelled vehicles for as long as you can buy fuel for them.

Meanwhile, other people will make other choices. Whether that's buying an EV or keeping a collection of land rover-shaped rust in front of their house. We're all allowed to make such choices.

Writing walls of text about your choices are better than other people's choices, whilst verging into a whole bucket of conspiracy theories, just makes you look like a mentalist.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3