BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The New Knobhead

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:00 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the 'graffiti' you refer to are actually commissioned artworks.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I'm always impressed by the mental gymnastics of people who think that government in general is incompetent in all things, but is also engaged in a complex and effective long-term plan to oppress them.

No ones is forcing you to buy an EV. Even if you wanted to right now, you'd be paying a premium for it having a long wait time. You can keeping running fossil fuelled vehicles for as long as you can buy fuel for them.

Meanwhile, other people will make other choices. Whether that's buying an EV or keeping a collection of land rover-shaped rust in front of their house. We're all allowed to make such choices.

Writing walls of text about your choices are better than other people's choices, whilst verging into a whole bucket of conspiracy theories, just makes you look like a mentalist.

Here's a simple example. People are going through the back roads of the suburbs in their cars way too fast and kids are getting killed, oh noes! What should we do?!

Solution: put road humps everyway. Job done surely? Except that road humps slow down all traffic including ambulances and fire engines. Road humps also induce a stop start mentality in drivers and make local pollution much, much worse. A quick death mashed up in the bumper of a Cortina? No thanks, I take a long, drawn out death via lung disorders for my kids, thank you very much!

How about teaching kids not to run out in the road? Educating drivers better about excessive speed? More traffic cops to pull ppl over and "have a quiet word" about their excessive speed? You know, stuff to make the world generally a better more positive place Rolling Eyes

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:19 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed bumps do slow traffic. They also show that the council is doing something right now, before the next election.

The other stuff either takes a long time with results that are difficult to measure, or is out of the hands of the local authority, or a bit of both. Frequently secret option number 3, too expensive.

It is rare for a local authority to line up with the one next door on transport policy. Highly unlikely for them to have any kind of decent working relationship with central govt, after the last decade+ of massive funding cuts from central govt to local.

So whilst speed bumps are a shit solution for their knock-on consequences and general irritation for everyone who wasn't driving like a dick in the first place, they do reduce the risk of a kid getting squished.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: The New Knobhead Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
We had the Mondeo man, The XR3 and XR4 youfff the BMW driver, Audi and Mercedes, We had the Hatch Back Horrors too. Now the new Knob on the road comes in various types and model of car, but they all have that one thing in common, THE GREEN STRIP OF STUPIDITY on the reg plate. Seems to be a "type" that are now the proud users of these vehicles and they seem to be total KNOBHEADS.
Laughing Tesla thread quote:
Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
st3v3 wrote:
The one thing about Tesla's for me is they seem to be the new Evoque, 90% of the them I come across the driver is a self entitled asshole.

Crying or Very sad you gonna do me like that bro Crying or Very sad

grr666 wrote:
Shame
that 99% of people are sheep and will just hand over their freedoms willingly
There are a huge majority of idiots when it comes to the crunch, but in admitting being vaccine free, when i've had family friends die around me with Covid? You might just creep into that category.

I'll just step aside and hand you your tin foil hat back.
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Well you're completely wrong about electrically assisted bikes. They actually are specifically expected from the provisions of the road traffic act.

That's why you don't need licence, insurance, mot etc and you can't be done for breaking road traffic laws.
Yes you do.

Anything that is throttle based, or uses over a 250w motor, or can hit above 15mph is illegal. I have 3 of them and had to research everything before losing my licence using something that cost more than a used 600 motorbike to buy.

grr666 wrote:
this will certainly affect me since I'm 10 minutes if that from Central Bristol. That zone is part of my commute.
So I opted for petrol instead and went Jap for their reliability, my 2018 car is likely to last me some time, theoretically
decades
So you're 10mins from the city centre, where you choose to commute in a diesel motor while vehicle emissions are part of us wiping out dozens of smaller species who can't do anything at all to influence their fate and you're moaning about electric being less economically efficient long term?
Fuck. Me.
Get a fucking eBike, leave the car on the drive and breathe in some fresh air on your way to work; might just help you see alot more things in a less grumpy light. Rolling Eyes I need to go find the block button.

I can't believe that on these related topics, one the people i'm seeing the most sense from and agreeing with is Robby.

I don't think EV's are for everyone, and not straight away, definitely not financially viable for a majority of lower incomes but we can't escape the fact that they are less bad than ICE long term, I will hold on to traditional engined bikes as long as I can afford to but their golden era is arriving fast and will fade quickly, shortly after.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: The New Knobhead Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:

So you're 10mins from the city centre, where you choose to commute in a diesel motor while vehicle emissions are
part of us wiping out dozens of smaller species who can't do anything at all to influence their fate and you're moaning
about electric being less economically efficient long term?
Fuck. Me.
Get a fucking eBike, leave the car on the drive and breathe in some fresh air on your way to work; might just help you see alot more things in a less grumpy light. Rolling Eyes I need to go find the block button.

It's part of my commute, I don't work in Bristol. It's a half hour plus drive to work traffic dependent, using 3 motorways.
I use my diesel van when I'm on early shift and my car when I'm on lates mainly because I lose my parking spot for my
van if I use it on lates. Came out of work tonight and it was chucking down, cycling, motorcycling or ebiking home
in that mess would do little to improve my mood. I'm suggesting that electric is the new 'diesel swindle' and frankly
I don't care a toss about who or what my choices of vehicle damage tbh, the MT10 I have on order will be decatted
ASAP after purchase just like my MT09 was when I bought that. If you or anyone else wants to go electric then great,
you do you and I'll do me. I only have myself to please.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be blunt, if you have children you tend to see other men who don't have children as a threat. You are an animal like any other animal, and you want to fight them! Everything they do is bad and risky. Riding motorbikes, included. They are selfish and you are not. They are Strangers and you are the Protector! So you tell yourself. Eventually, you internally convince yourself that a guy riding a motorcycle is a subhuman, whose actions are hostile and pose a threat to the cocoon utopia of the future in which your young children and grandchildren will live. However, that isn't the whole story... Everyone tends to justify their life choices and decisions in retrospect, with a kind of blind optimism about future outcomes. I'm not singling anyone out. I do exactly the same thing myself. It's just normal human behaviour. Let's start to look at the whole package, and not just the one topic. People are capable of reason, and they form their own life philosophy. There is no absolute one-size-fits-all good, for the individual, society, nation or even the species.

For example, until recently, I'd been eating a very healthy diet, with meat and organic vegetables. There are very good reasons for this. It completely eliminated a couple of weird allergy issues I had, and solved my joint pain problem, and it improved my skin. I kept it up for years. Of course, you can see, it was the right thing to do! EVERYONE should have to follow suit. Feel fit and healthy. Let's ban sugar, fast food, processed meats, white flour, etc. What's wrong with people? They don't know what's good for them. Anyone who's against my good mission is against all that is good and right, and is in rebellion against rightness, justice, humanity, etc. I'm sure they must be narcissists, psychos, mentally ill somehow, loony conspiracists, etc.

However, a few days ago I decided I'd had enough. I consciously switched back to hamburgers and pizzas I made myself. The allergy issues are starting to return, but I feel great. Not from a rush of fresh air, exercise and endorphins (although I do exercise) but from enjoying the sensation of nice tastes. Everyone finds them nice and we're hardwired to seek them out and enjoy the experience, for evolutionary reasons. But what about health? Well, I'm in my 40s. I've seen what it's like when someone gets to be in their 90s. It's deeply unpleasant, and I always used to think of 70 as "old". Do I want to be 90? Not really. You do not live forever through your children - I bet you couldn't even name your great-great-grandparents off the top of your head. Humanity will never reach that technological utopia in which you're trying to convince yourself your offspring will live, in fond remembrance of you. However, you've got a couple more decades to enjoy nice tasting food, and motorcycles, without dying. This is a simple fact. You come with nothing and you leave with nothing.

If you're tired of your Harley, that's fine. That's your personal choice. But let's establish that it was a different personal choice to your new enthusiasm for EVs. It came from a perspective on mortality and shared commonalities that I suspect we do not all share (not really), and neither should we be made to share these underlying beliefs.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 07:10 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: The New Knobhead Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Well you're completely wrong about electrically assisted bikes. They actually are specifically expected from the provisions of the road traffic act.

That's why you don't need licence, insurance, mot etc and you can't be done for breaking road traffic laws.
Yes you do.

Anything that is throttle based, or uses over a 250w motor, or can hit above 15mph is illegal. I have 3 of them and had to research everything before losing my licence using something that cost more than a used 600 motorbike to buy.

You are correct about things with a throttle but I specifically said electrically assisted bikes.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrically-assisted-pedal-cycles-eapcs/electrically-assisted-pedal-cycles-eapcs-in-great-britain-information-sheet

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 07:21 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
To be blunt, if you have children you tend to see other men who don't have children as a threat. You are an animal like any other animal, and you want to fight them! Everything they do is bad and risky. Riding motorbikes, included. They are selfish and you are not. They are Strangers and you are the Protector! So you tell yourself. Eventually, you internally convince yourself that a guy riding a motorcycle is a subhuman, whose actions are hostile and pose a threat to the cocoon utopia of the future in which your young children and grandchildren will live.

What the actual fuck are you talking about? You need to put down the crack pipe.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:16 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: The New Knobhead Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:

I can't believe that on these related topics, one the people i'm seeing the most sense from and agreeing with is Robby.

This is also surprising to me.

For the BCF noobs, 15 years ago me and st3v3 really did not get on. Now it looks like we agree more than we disagree.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:27 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

How about teaching kids not to run out in the road?

Have you ever tried to teach a 4 year old not to just run off at a whim?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
keeping a collection of land rover-shaped rust in front of their house.

Hang on ... How does Robby know where I live? Very Happy

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, you're all wrong.

The new knobhead is the driver of any A class Mercedes. Not a single one of them knows how to drive, or even gives a fuck.

I give them a wide berth. They're fucking terrifying.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Easy enough to train with a quick slap on the hand when they head into the road. They soon associate it with going in the road however as you aren't allowed to do that to kids anymore it's a moot point.

If they aren't under control perhaps you should have them on reins. It's not just the car drivers fault if they get hit. Parenting is the parents responsibility.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:58 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

If they aren't under control perhaps you should have them on reins. It's not just the car drivers fault if they get hit. Parenting is the parents responsibility.

I fully agree, but even a child that crosses correctly the vast majority of time is an impulsive beast and in the right situations all the teaching will go straight out of their head.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, back to knobheads, electric cars and flashy green stips on numberplates...

I presume his was written by an (American) electric car luddite but made me laugh.

https://scontent.fltn3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/284373533_386570673514217_2444640492678909547_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=2c4854&_nc_ohc=NPAz2jJTVaMAX_577Tp&_nc_ht=scontent.fltn3-1.fna&oh=00_AT8Z2hd1AOLoTwWf0bWfOCsomQoPvFKK4D4eeWwqBSZr4Q&oe=62A30D83

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
https://scontent.fltn3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/284373533_386570673514217_2444640492678909547_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=2c4854&_nc_ohc=NPAz2jJTVaMAX_577Tp&_nc_ht=scontent.fltn3-1.fna&oh=00_AT8Z2hd1AOLoTwWf0bWfOCsomQoPvFKK4D4eeWwqBSZr4Q&oe=62A30D83

"Also, the fuel cap is only a quarter of an inch wide, so it's going to take you at least 3 hours to fill the tank"

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
To be blunt, if you have children you tend to see other men who don't have children as a threat.
You cannot possibly start to presume what background or lifestyle someone has from a cursory glance in the street or 5 mins following them in traffic.

Just because a guy is riding a motorcycle doesn't mean he hasn't got 4 kids and a wife at home relying on his coming back every night.

Have you forgotten where you're commenting? Rolling Eyes Laughing

Robby wrote:

For the BCF noobs, 15 years ago me and st3v3 really did not get on. Now it looks like we agree more than we disagree.
...just had to drop a big number in there ey? Crying or Very sad

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

"Also, the fuel cap is only a quarter of an inch wide, so it's going to take you at least 3 hours to fill the tank"
That's not quite how it works though is it?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:17 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
People are capable of reason

Hand

Many people aren't capable of reason and too many people are wrong with their reasons.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 07 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

If the parents are stupid (leaving a 4yo to play by the side of a road unsupervised) then likely the kid is too. Evolution at work Neutral

Anyway 10 years old and up are the more likely for road fatalities.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:10 - 07 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are still impulsive which is why they are classed as 'children.'

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 07 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we should remove all danger from children's' lives. Ban all cars, replace all roads with cycle lanes. Fuck that, even bicycles are dangerous! etc.

Balance required obviously but while you can put a short-term number on the success of road humps "we reduced road accidents by 10%" no account is taken of long term effects on physical and mental health because a) that would be difficult to calculate & b) you probably wouldn't like the answer anyway.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:59 - 07 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So driving over a road hump causes you mental anguish? What a fucking snowflake...

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 07 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these people remain the biggest knobheads:

https://www.aol.com/cyclists-wear-car-frames-show-230100113.html

Not normal people on bicycles, but rather activists on bicycles.

It seems as though the cyclist lobby, which has been instrumental in "dealing with" petrol cars in cities and large towns, might already be preparing to part ways with the green/EV 4-wheeler lobby.

Would be awfully cynical to predict that all the energy of these disruption officers on 2 or 4 wheels is leading us inexorably towards a world where a petrol guzzling Rolls with a cigar-smoking VIP inside has the roads to itself and its armed honour guard convoy...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 07 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So driving over a road hump causes you mental anguish? What a fucking snowflake...

The continual message of "we hate you, we wish you dead... but we still want your tax money" churned out by institutions does tend to grind one down Crying or Very sad

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I think these people remain the biggest knobheads:

https://www.aol.com/cyclists-wear-car-frames-show-230100113.html

Not normal people on bicycles, but rather activists on bicycles.

They annoy me but they are doing a very good job of making people physically see the problem they are contributing to.

ALOT of people don't need to drive, but they do because it's the easy option, it's freedom and symbolic..

Except 75% of the time they are the traffic, they are mostly inviting the planet to wipe us out. When I were a kid, we virtually all biked to school.
I lived 2.5 miles from school, but 100s of us did it, today?

Na.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 320 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3