Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

EVs - are they clean?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: EVs - are they clean? Reply with quote

So the tiresome Stuart Fillingham went on one of his epic rants about the proposed anti-tamper legislation. You can listen here if you can be bothered. On the one hand it's the usual "the government want you dead" rants but on the other he points out previous misguided legislation that quietly got dropped when it was realised as unworkable. Anyhoo, one interesting proposition:

Are EVs really as clean as the government and lobby groups would have you believe? I turned up this:

Non-exhaust Particulate Emissions from Road Transport : An Ignored Environmental Policy Challenge

In essence while EVs might produce less CO2 (as the electricity could potentially be provided by "non-green" sources) their particulate generation is comparable to traditional ICEs. Yes, particulate filters on diesels aren't flawless but more tyre, road and brake wear is expected from EVs as they're heavier. Compared to petrol ICEs one might even argue EVs are worse.

No mention of NOx in the rant but the latest Euro-spec it's pretty harsh on ICEs in this area, the trend is going in the right direction at least.

So why buy an EV? Less CO2 and... well that's about it! Wearing my cynical hat this just seems like a re-tread (hehe) of the diesel fiasco Thinking

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVs use regerative braking so they should be easier on brakes and probably tyres too as there is precise control available of the torque and rpm, depending on how they are set up. The problem with EVs IMO is all the Lithium mining, obvious high cost, and probably limited realistic lifespan of the battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should but in practice, not so much. Teslas are very smart as EVs go but they're the exception not the rule.

The point is "zero emissions" really means "zero emissions from the exhaust" and non-exhaust emissions offer a comparable danger from EVs as ICEs.

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:01 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
EVs use regerative braking so they should be easier on brakes and probably tyres too as there is precise control available of the torque and rpm, depending on how they are set up. The problem with EVs IMO is all the Lithium mining, obvious high cost, and probably limited realistic lifespan of the battery.

Don't forget the vast bulk of Lithium Mining is done by ''young kids'' who risk their lives so rich bastards like Musk can line his pockets

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Should but in practice, not so much. Teslas are very smart as EVs go but they're the exception not the rule.

The point is "zero emissions" really means "zero emissions from the exhaust" and non-exhaust emissions offer a comparable danger from EVs as ICEs.

So which is it you are claiming? First you said its because they are too heavy, now you say its because they aren't smart enough?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:42 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

More tyre and road wear because EVs are heavier.

More brake wear because they're heavier doesn't really apply to the smartest EVs like a Tesla but does apply to the average EV that's not got as much regenerative braking tech.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: EVs - are they clean? Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Non-exhaust Particulate Emissions from Road Transport : An Ignored Environmental Policy Challenge

Read the papers cited, the small relative increase only applies to non-combustion related particulate (overall particulate is substantially decreased). Figures are also from 2009 and based on EVs of that period. Also only extrapolates data up until 2020.

My conclusion: somewhat horse shit, somewhat true.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: EVs - are they clean? Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Read the papers cited, the small relative increase only applies to non-combustion related particulate (overall particulate is substantially decreased). Figures are also from 2009 and based on EVs of that period. Also only extrapolates data up until 2020.

My conclusion: somewhat horse shit, somewhat true.

Horse sh1t is very big lumps of particulate. I'm sure I read somewhere that by 1900 we should have been knee deep in horse poo which just goes to show how stupid all these predictions are. I'm only knee deep in horse poo when being coerced into looking after youngest daughters obnoxious grumpy equine.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:55 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: EVs - are they clean? Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I read somewhere that by 1900 we should have been knee deep in horse poo

Some people are into things like that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27643702

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't see the point in EVs when there's still plenty of oil to be extracted Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: EVs - are they clean? Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Wearing my cynical hat this just seems like a re-tread (hehe) of the diesel fiasco Thinking

Careful now. You'll be labelled a nutter by people that don't matter a fuck to you... Rolling Eyes

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I don't care much one way or the other for EVs vs. cars. I could probably stand to get a bit shouty about imposed electric motorcycles but I just thought it was interesting as it wasn't an angle I'd heard before.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: EVs - are they clean? Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
I read somewhere that by 1900 we should have been knee deep in horse poo

Some people are into things like that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27643702

Where the F do you dig all this up from Ste? Laughing

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
More tyre and road wear because EVs are heavier.

More brake wear because they're heavier doesn't really apply to the smartest EVs like a Tesla but does apply to the average EV that's not got as much regenerative braking tech.

But regerative braking is not smart or sophisticated. Literally any company capable of making an electric car will easily master it. I can do it, and I've never made an electric car in my life!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:42 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
I can do it, and I've never made an electric car in my life!

You should do that then because if you're able to make highly efficient regenerative braking systems then every EV manufacturer in the world will be wanting the tech you create. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 14 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebate's going on cars...

Scrapping of electric car grants sparks backlash

Still staying on vans, taxis and bikes though and still tax benefits to having an EV and the company car market is significant.

Of course the article continues with the propaganda line of "zero emissions" and not the more accurate "zero exhaust emissions." Sad

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 17 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A generous article from the BBC:

Fuel prices: Could I save money driving an electric car?

I say "generous" as it at least suggests the carbon-footprint* of manufacturing EVs is worse than their ICE equivalents.

tl;dr while the cost of "filling-up" is half that of petrol the initial purchase price means you won't see any savings for 18~24 months. Yes you might shrink that window buying second hand but batteries have a limited lifetime.

But as ever particulate emissions are completely ignored Sad

*A made up term coined by Climate Change grifters.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 17 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
carbon-footprint*

an acquaintance of mine took to flying to Sweden regularly in order to get his end away with American girl penfriend living there..

..we chastised him at the time for his 'Carbon Cockprint'.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 17 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
A generous article from the BBC:

Fuel prices: Could I save money driving an electric car?

I say "generous" as it at least suggests the carbon-footprint* of manufacturing EVs is worse than their ICE equivalents.

tl;dr while the cost of "filling-up" is half that of petrol the initial purchase price means you won't see any savings for 18~24 months. Yes you might shrink that window buying second hand but batteries have a limited lifetime.

But as ever particulate emissions are completely ignored Sad

*A made up term coined by Climate Change grifters.

I've put 3,566 miles on my electric car since getting it and so far I have spent the following on charging it:

Public Fast Chargers = £35.82,
Tesla Superchargers = £22.54,
Home Charging Cost = £0.00 (I don't charge at home).

I've been using the ChargePlace Scotland network where the cost per kWh is currently £0.00 at more fast chargers (long may it continue). The only time I paid for charging was on a long motorway trip in England and had to use ones at service stations.

Only ever used a supercharger twice because I had range anxiety and shat out of it trying to finish the run home Embarassed

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:11 - 17 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy it new?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 17 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always look at the sharp end I say...

Looking at London all the taxis are either electric or hybrid. All the food deliveries are [uninsured] 125 scooters.

The cold, hard face of Capitalism says electric good for multiple person short journeys and scooter (and by association motorbike) is the most efficient for single person journeys. Fuck ya push bike and train, the market has spoken!

For once I'd like someone in power to acknowledge reality and not pander to special interests, activists or lining their chums pockets Evil or Very Mad

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:25 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may be clean / green but they are NOT cheap. Certainly not cheap enough to warrant ditching a perfectly well running car / bike to get one.

Lithium battery production - clean?
Power generation - clean?
Fire risk - is burning lithium green / clean?
Govt E Grant - disappeared?
E-Tax - inevitable?
Battery tech - future proofed and upgradeable?

I still have yet to see a convincing argument for where the required electricity is going to come from to provide power for all the charging stations that are needed.

If you're going to make it viable you need to be able to charge at the same rate that a tank of petrol takes to fill otherwise all you'll have is queues of people in heavy things with flat batteries.

I did look at a 15Kw battery system for the house and covering the flat roofs in panels ( all are in full Sun all day) but the cost of that is still prohibitive and the sell back to grid isn't good enough.

So unless you want run around in a shit 2nd hand Leaf /Zoe with < 100 mile range at best and only in the summer .....

I'm not even convinced that carbon neutral / carbon offset works as a thing. It's just for rich Western societies to help them over the guilt trip of all the carbon they still produce whilst claiming to be 'net' zero overall.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I've put 3,566 miles on my electric car since getting it and so far I have spent the following on charging it:

Public Fast Chargers = £35.82,
Tesla Superchargers = £22.54,
Home Charging Cost = £0.00 (I don't charge at home).

I've been using the ChargePlace Scotland network where the cost per kWh is currently £0.00 at more fast chargers (long may it continue). The only time I paid for charging was on a long motorway trip in England and had to use ones at service stations.

Only ever used a supercharger twice because I had range anxiety and shat out of it trying to finish the run home Embarassed

However as petrol declines the government will really jack up the electric price Laughing

Free electric chargers sounds like free drugs from the local dealers to get you hooked. I'd expect that from Sturgeon (both examples) Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with EVs as a concept and in the case of taxis - lots of short, stop-start urban travel, multiple occupancy - but it's this hang-up on CO2 that bothers me.

Exporting your carbon-footprint to other places (manufacturing, electricity generation) has no impact on your local environment as such, it affects the global environment.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole climate change thing sounds like one big scam to me.

And anyway, all most folks see is it causing them to get poorer, having a harder life. How about actual incentives? You know, tangible ones? Your kids' futures? Yeah, but look what you're doing to them elsewhere Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3