Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

EVs - are they clean?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just focus on EVs for the moment rather than going down the well worn path of The Great Climate Change Grift Wink

There's a lot of bitching over Euro 7. Mostly it's the emissions systems may be unworkable for small ICE cars. TBF small cars are probably doing short journeys and sorry, better off with an EV for that.

Interestingly Euro 7 does cover non-exhaust emissions. Be funny if loads of existing EVs turn out to not conform to Euro 7. (Thinking along the lines of getting your old bike certified as Euro 3 for the London ULEZ.)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Let's just focus on EVs for the moment rather than going down the well worn path of The Great Climate Change Grift Wink

They're part of it Wink
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So presuming you have a good reason to by an EV. (Wifie has a 50 mile round commute each day and it's getting very pricy with diesel costs and she isn't on a huge wage).

Is there any universal battery checks or test for 2nd hand EV's available or being created that could answer peoples concerns about battery condition does anyone know? Something you can compare different cars status?

All I actually know is that most batteries have a maximum of eight years guarantee and after that they could go on or fail at any time.(?) The thing for me is now being reliant on my pension I cannot afford £30+ thousand for a new car so it would have to be a second hand car for me with all the real or perceived risks that entails.

or

Leasing privatly seems very expensive, A Nissan Leaf Puke , 36 months, 5000 miles per annum, is a downpayment of £1050. A processing fee of £299 and then £349 a month, for something I'll never own.

Same car, a PCP 36 month deal. £7500 deposit, £219 a moth and then a final figure of £14500 to buy it (just why would you?) (would you even pay that deposit for a second hand nissan leaf Rolling Eyes )

So both the above outside my finances so that just leaves 2nd hand and back to the question, How do you know if the battery is any good?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery health can roughly be estimated from mileage but unfortunately it'll go down dramatically with fast charging over slow (overnight) charging and you'll have no idea how many times that's been done. A five year old car with low miles might even have more capacity than a 3yo with more miles.

Unfortunately you'll have to do your research for each particular model. Something like a Leaf you can cycle through the displays to get estimated capacity. It'll be hidden away somewhere on most electric cars.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
I still have yet to see a convincing argument for where the required electricity is going to come from to provide power for all the charging stations that are needed.

I’ve read that the additional demand on the grid would surprisingly only be 10-15%. I’ve tried to check that -

Arrow 32 million cars on UK roads, let’s make ‘em all electric
Arrow say batteries of 50kW
Arrow 7kW/hr chargers (so just over 7 hours to fully charge)
Arrow current UK demand on a weekend at midnight was 25GW

If my maths and physics is right (?), in any one minute EVs could be drawing 7kW/60minutes x 32 million vehicles = 3.7 GW or about 15% of present demand.

Then the chart on page 9 of the Government Response to the 2019 Consultation on Electric Vehicle Smart Charging is interesting too. (Incidentally I’m not sure why the overall demand is predicted to more than double even without EVs. Population growth? Seems a lot.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:26 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice nobody is talking about ground level ozone emissions *yet*.

It's a thing, the stuff is pretty toxic and has a real impact on air quality. EVs are the biggest polluters in this regard.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:52 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I’ve read that the additional demand on the grid would surprisingly only be 10-15%. I’ve tried to check that -

Arrow 32 million cars on UK roads, let’s make ‘em all electric
Arrow say batteries of 50kW
Arrow 7kW/hr chargers (so just over 7 hours to fully charge)
Arrow current UK demand on a weekend at midnight was 25GW

If my maths and physics is right (?), in any one minute EVs could be drawing 7kW/60minutes x 32 million vehicles = 3.7 GW or about 15% of present demand.

Then the chart on page 9 of the Government Response to the 2019 Consultation on Electric Vehicle Smart Charging is interesting too. (Incidentally I’m not sure why the overall demand is predicted to more than double even without EVs. Population growth? Seems a lot.)

I'm surprised - but 7hours charge time .......

I dunno, maybe it's just me that's put off by the frankly insane prices.

Go and look up an Electric Rav4. Remember when they were a compact SUV with an appropriate ( i.e. South of 30K not North of 50k) price tag?

I'm more interested in the classic vehicle EV stuff that Vintage Voltage do, like their Electric Delorean or the frankly bonkers Landrover. Where the electrification is a genuine improvement to a vehicle instead of just a reason to inflate prices.

If they are serious about electricity then instead of wanky useless heatpump grants, that 20k investment would be better spent on decent home battery storage and houses covered in solar panels and water pre-heaters. Imagine if you could run home AC for free during the summer months? Or if your home had enough stored battery power 12 months of the year to absorb any spike in home usage.

That and thermally efficient houses that don't freeze in the winter and boil in the summer.

As ever, it's a missed opportunity from the Government IMO.

The holy grail is enough power to charge fully at home with enough range to get where you need to go, be it 20 miles or 400 miles with the public charging network only there for quick emergency topups.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:56 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

It's a thing, the stuff is pretty toxic and has a real impact on air quality. EVs are the biggest polluters in this regard.

https://royalsociety.org/~/media/royal_society_content/policy/publications/2008/7925.pdf

148 pages - that's quite a lot of reading!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Can I just point out the direct and indirect Ozone generation for EVs is in the manufacturing and electricity generation not in the driving of the thing (brushless motors don't generate sparks.) That being said Ozone from manufacturing is ~double that of ICE vehicles and electricity? Depends... but obviously Natural Gas and Coal are bad, m'kay.

Again I go back to the CO2 hang-up. If one were to say "CO2 isn't the issue, we won't be so hot on that for exhaust emission if a car has close to zero particulates, NOX, CO, CH4, etc. overall (not just exhaust) emissions." CO2 is at least edible by plants all the rest are poison for every living thing Shocked

My shitty diesel Skoda is low "carbon per mile" and therefore I pay zero road tax. An example of politicians not understanding...*

* ...I could finish that sentence but may as well leave it there.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
I still have yet to see a convincing argument for where the required electricity is going to come from to provide power for all the charging stations that are needed.

The UK is actually very well placed to take advantage of wind energy, particularly offshore and can easily generate enough power from wind to run the entire group of countries.

A single offshore wind turbine can generate an average power of 8 MWh. A single nuclear reactor can do more than 1,200 MWh. I think it might turn out cheaper to make a farm of 150 turbines over a single nuclear power station (given the cost of decommissioning the reactor at the end of its' life).

Solar is a joke in the UK and we should stop throwing money at solar.
The absolute maximum theoretical amount of energy that a solar panel can make would be 1.36 kWh but it would need to defeat the laws of thermodynamics to actually achieve that.

Let's assume that solar panels all have an efficiency of 20% which is actually at the very high-end of what is available today. That would mean to generate the same amount of power as a single wind turbine you'd need 29,600 m^2 of solar panels: roughly 4 and a quarter Wembley stadium pitches worth of area.

The answer is wind power augmented with nuclear power. Simple, get gas power to fuck asap.

SOURCES:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/environmentalaccounts/articles/windenergyintheuk/june2021

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/875384/Wind_powered_electricity_in_the_UK.pdf

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/EnergyBalance/page2.php#:~:text=At%20Earth's%20average%20distance%20from,most%20recent%20NASA%20satellite%20missions.

https://news.energysage.com/what-are-the-most-efficient-solar-panels-on-the-market/#:~:text=Today%2C%20most%20solar%20panels%20are,more%20than%2020%20percent%20efficiency.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:34 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

The answer is wind power augmented with nuclear power. Simple, get gas power to fuck asap.

We just seem to be fucking about round the periphery of tidal power too. Water turbines are super efficient and we have predictable, reliable and large tides in this country. You just need to stand on the shore at Bowness on Solway mid tide to see how much energy is flowing past. Works every day, regardless of if it's windy or sunny.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
We just seem to be fucking about round the periphery of tidal power too. Water turbines are super efficient and we have predictable, reliable and large tides in this country. You just need to stand on the shore at Bowness on Solway mid tide to see how much energy is flowing past. Works every day, regardless of if it's windy or sunny.

Very true, but as far as I am aware tidal power generation is still in it's infancy stages and large-scale deployment is extremely expensive.

As long as the moon continues to orbit the Earth, we will have wind and tidal power for the next billion years until the Sun starts to evaporate the oceans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_Earth

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue isn't wind turbines per se, its the ability to store the energy rather than turn them off that's the issue.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea situation would be wind + tidal and then nuclear on the off days for generation. Hydro electric for storage. That might mean devastating most of the highlands of Wales and Scotland but it's a price I'm willing to pay Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
The issue isn't wind turbines per se, its the ability to store the energy rather than turn them off that's the issue.

I like what the Shetlands do, they produce more electricity from their turbines than they use, so electrolyse sea water and capture hydrogen and oxygen gas to sell it off since they don't have a line to the National Grid to sell off their excess power directly.

The people of the Shetland islands potentially will have some of the lowest energy costs in the world.

I don't know why the Scottish Government doesn't sell independence to the people of Scotland on the basis of energy independence. Scotland could actually become very successful if:

1. Abolished corporation taxes and personal income taxes, which would bring investment from big corporations who won't pay corporation taxes, some of the best people in industry moving to Scotland because they won't pay personal income taxes, people on the dole and unemployed get uplifted as it's now worth more to work than it was to arse about on benefits. So the benefits of this move are less burden on the state and more investment into the state,

2. To offset the reduction in tax income from (1), bring in different tax rates as consumption/ sales taxes like they do in the Gulf states,

3. Promote the use of electric and hydrogen powered cars, vehicles, etc (continue free charging at public fast chargers, etc),

4. Heavy investment in building a huge over-capacity of wind and tidal power, give the people of Scotland incredibly low energy costs, sell off the excess energy to England means they can go green and ditch their reliance on gas power stations,

5. Huge amounts of electricity mean natural gas can be ditched for heating homes, cooking, etc,

6. Generate hydrogen from electrolysis and use in the state for hydrogen vehicles, export it, etc.

Everything could be scaled up and Scotland could do a combination of Norway and Switzerland. However, that depends on competent politicians and none exist in Scotland. Laughing

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/03/02/the-remote-shetland-islands-are-a-surprising-leader-in-the-race-to-net-zero

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2021/02/26/sic-embarks-on-campaign-for-cheaper-electricity-prices/

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been talk of a Severn barrage for ages. It'll never happen because the amount of opposition eould be immense. Stupid because it would at least be a project with huge plusses although we'd probably ask China to build it. Cheaper that way Evil or Very Mad

Edited to add if it was built from Brean down across the channel, Weston -super-Mare would have the tide in more often than it does now. Thumbs Up

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 22 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with EVs IMO is that they are trying to make the car eco which is the wrong problem. As Chickenstrip said, no actual incentives.

A better approach would be to introduce free at point of use trams in towns and cities with overhead powerlines. This would in turn massively reduce demand for cars in general and would only require one relatively small battery for backup. It being free is key as people will mentally just hop on and off at will. To sweeten the pill for Tories we could help pay for the initial cost by adding £1 to the tube fare and using that to pay for trams outside of London.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 22 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
The biggest problem with EVs IMO is that they are trying to make the car eco which is the wrong problem. As Chickenstrip said, no actual incentives.

A better approach would be to introduce free at point of use trams in towns and cities with overhead powerlines. This would in turn massively reduce demand for cars in general and would only require one relatively small battery for backup. It being free is key as people will mentally just hop on and off at will. To sweeten the pill for Tories we could help pay for the initial cost by adding £1 to the tube fare and using that to pay for trams outside of London.

Modern tram projects have been insanely expensive and utterly disastrous from a business point of view:

Edinburgh Trams = £776m cost and operates at a £9.4m loss each year,

London Tramlink = £200m cost and operates at a loss each year but TfL don't itemise the loss in accounts.

Manchester Metrolink = £350m cost for most recent phase and probably makes a loss but the council are shitebags who don't publish the data. Even these fucking anoraks here can't work it out:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/metrolink-profitable-or-unprofitable.123171/

Nottingham Express Transit = £327m cost and operates at a £21.4m loss each year,

Sheffield SuperTram = £408m cost and don't know if it's profitable of loss making but passengers are going down and StageCoach Groups accounts states that it is supported from Government intervention payments.

https://www.stagecoachgroup.com/~/media/Files/S/Stagecoach-Group/Attachments/media/press/pr2020/2020-12-09.pdf

West Midlands Metro = hard to pin down construction costs but it's loss making and needed a bailout to continue operating.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/west-midlands-metro-gets-21m-18187574

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 22 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that if you want a modern transport system AND you want people to use it .... taxing them onto something that is worse than what they were already using is not an incentive.

Decide on a transport system and provide it because it's the right system and if it needs subsidising then so be it.

Rather than making the car the worst option and trying to crowbar folk out of it, make the transport so good that they only want to use that and nothing else.

Have you ever been to Stockholm and used the Bus / Tram / Metro? One ticket ALL modes of transport. Clean, well priced, on time and easy / pleasant to use.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 22 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Have you ever been to Stockholm and used the Bus / Tram / Metro? One ticket ALL modes of transport. Clean, well priced, on time and easy / pleasant to use.

No, but I was in Rome years ago and a ticket for the public network around Rome was 2 Euros per day and you could use trains, metro and busses for that whole day as much as you wanted. Was a good service too!

Paris metro on the other hand... nah I would rather spend a fortune on a Taxi.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 22 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris en masse tbh. It's as seedy as f**k. If you get lost in the districts you'd be better be hard as nails.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 22 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Modern tram projects have been insanely expensive and utterly disastrous from a business point of view:

Edinburgh Trams = £776m cost and operates at a £9.4m loss each year,

London Tramlink = £200m cost and operates at a loss each year but TfL don't itemise the loss in accounts.

Manchester Metrolink = £350m cost for most recent phase and probably makes a loss but the council are shitebags who don't publish the data. Even these fucking anoraks here can't work it out:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/metrolink-profitable-or-unprofitable.123171/

Nottingham Express Transit = £327m cost and operates at a £21.4m loss each year,

Sheffield SuperTram = £408m cost and don't know if it's profitable of loss making but passengers are going down and StageCoach Groups accounts states that it is supported from Government intervention payments.

https://www.stagecoachgroup.com/~/media/Files/S/Stagecoach-Group/Attachments/media/press/pr2020/2020-12-09.pdf

West Midlands Metro = hard to pin down construction costs but it's loss making and needed a bailout to continue operating.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/west-midlands-metro-gets-21m-18187574

I'm talking about a free tram. Those are paid services so you can't compare them. The Sheffield tram is like £5 a day so obviously it's ridership is lower. My proposed free trams would be brimming with people, and would be electically powered, not require loads of batteries, and of course be driverless. For the proposed contraints [which I didn't choose and don't necessarily support] this is the most optimal solution. It's like a bus but easier to automate and runs on the grid.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 23 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed with friends in karlsruhe in Germany where they have a huge tram system that is dirt cheap. So cheap and efficient people don't bother taking cars into the city.

But, it costs a fortune to run, It's basically a mini rail system. We are talking hundreds of trams, not a couple an hour.

It would be a complete change of heart in UK to run them. BUT, we have just paid a few billion for a line in London that never really needed it. But hey, London rools, the sticks drool. Or something like that.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 23 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I stayed with friends in karlsruhe in Germany where they have a huge tram system that is dirt cheap. So cheap and efficient people don't bother taking cars into the city.

But, it costs a fortune to run, It's basically a mini rail system. We are talking hundreds of trams, not a couple an hour.

It would be a complete change of heart in UK to run them. BUT, we have just paid a few billion for a line in London that never really needed it. But hey, London rools, the sticks drool. Or something like that.

True London now has:
- The underground
- An intercity underground hybrid train (Elizabeth line)
- The overground
- National rail services / Thameslink
- Numerous motorways and 2 ring roads
- Buses

It's as if they are in a completely different country in terms of investment by the state in the quality of their services.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 23 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
True London now has:
- The underground
- An intercity underground hybrid train (Elizabeth line)
- The overground
- National rail services / Thameslink
- Numerous motorways and 2 ring roads
- Buses

It's as if they are in a completely different country in terms of investment by the state in the quality of their services.

I go to the City of London (Square Mile) all the time and I fucking hate travelling around. Hate travelling around London out with the Square Mile too. Hell hole of a place. I try to fly in to CoL Airport then get a taxi to a Hotel as close to the meeting as possible so I can walk there and back. The only good thing is that I get very heavily discounted rates at certain establishments on bookings in the City.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3