Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do you mind riding at night?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Do you mind riding at night? Reply with quote

I hate it. Ever since I got lost in the rain in the dark with a dark visor.

This video of a drunk driver rear ending a motorcycle at 85mph. Should have got a tougher sentence.

https://news.sky.com/video/surrey-moment-drunk-driver-hits-motorcyclist-at-84mph-on-a3-12629427?fbclid=IwAR1TwJrbHeqrNMkPlM7Y2zdoG59LTUt3gnqd4LsdYoujQpo8orS3naJToKg

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can drive my car and ride my bike at night in the dark, I prefer not to do either.

I must admit with visors and all, riding at night can be a bit of a faff!, especially if its raining..

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

If it's dark, wet, busy, generally 'orrible, and roads I don't know, I slow down a bit.

If it's moonlight, dry, empty and I know where the road goes, blink and you'll miss me Wink

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't bother me really. Though I did have an issue on the VFR800 where switching between normal and high beam would cause the lights to go off completely, for *just* long enough to scare the crap out of me.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, no... Can't more than won't given my bike exhausts literal fire on over-run and gear changes. I have been followed
after dark and apparently there's quite the firework show Laughing somehow I think Mr Policeman might want a word were
he to witness this given that I regularly get cagers chasing me to watch the spectacle, it's a blue flame so not nearly so
visible in daylight.

Last edited by grr666 on 19:27 - 08 Jun 2022; edited 1 time in total

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some situations like narrow rural roads you get more warning of vehicles approaching but there are generally far more risks not least being a bit tired yourself.
In the past I have been pretty bold like get off ferry in France about midnight and ride through the night to reach the Alps by early afternoon next day.
It's surprising how many big lorries are still about.
But in that journey I wasn't in any way compelled to keep going it just felt Ok since I had a snooze on the boat and had been hanging about waiting for sailing beforehand too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:28 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its still preferred to the potential 2 hour commute each way if I were to drive.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night is the best time to ride... Less traffic and even fewer twats, especially compared to around rush hour times.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the summer, I tend to prefer the late evening and early night, for a quick run around the villages. It might have something to do with the fact that it gets very hot in leather, and I just won't wear textiles - don't feel properly dressed for the ride unless I'm dressed my own way. It's cooler in the evening. However, there are certain times (and places) I won't ride. Urban/suburban area or wherever there's a car park (e.g. park or supermarket) - avoid. Drunks are an obvious hazard, but also the overindulged kids, who gather in car parks at night and then show off to each other.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot ride at night with a visor. Even brand new ones I get weird reflections or a sort of 'warped' view for want of a better word. I have to ride with my visor up and wear optical quality glasses.

Luckily on my bike that is easily possible with a big old screen.

In other words, I do if I have to, but really don't like it.

As an aside, one of the scardest I ever was, was chasing a bunch of mates back home along unlit country lanes on our Fazer 600 hack with the headlight power of about 1 candle. Pale

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be ok with it, but nowadays everyone seems to have fucking white hot IMAX bulbs fitted, so even if you shut your eyes you lose what little night vision you had for 5 minutes.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:54 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I used to be ok with it, but nowadays everyone seems to have fucking white hot IMAX bulbs fitted, so even if you shut your eyes you lose what little night vision you had for 5 minutes.
LED Headlamps are fitted quite widely factory fitted to cars nowadays. The headlamps on my Mazda
are really very, very good and fully automated, including a high beam assistant which dips automatically when it can
see another vehicle either oncoming or driving ahead of me in the same direction. Wouldn't go back to standard bulbs,
I have them in the van and they are like candles in jam jars in comparison to my cars lighting.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:35 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a shift worker I don't have much choice. To be fair, it's OK in London (just watch out for the drunks) but out in the sticks it's a bit dodgy with animals in the road, judging from the number that get splatted, and you wouldn't want to hit a deer on a bike.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:47 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't choose to do it but I have done it (including rush hour around Manchester in winter on the old ER5). I'm actually less fazed by riding in urban areas at night (drunks/cretins/chavscum aside) as there's enough light to see everything usually and the headlight is more of a position marker. Country riding at night is a different matter; it's better now on my VFR than it was as I've got some aux lights, but until I have a bike with self-levelling cornering lights, I will always find the physics associated with motorcycle cornering just makes illumination horrendous. Also a higher risk of running into some wild animal on the lanes (and having come within feet of a massive deer in Scotland once that jumped out of the trees while I was doing 60mph, it's f'ing scary).

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:52 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mind it - but not very much. I find rural lanes easier than other roads because they're so dark that oncoming vehicles are nearly always visible long before there's a sight-line. I mind a lot more when you throw in night, rain, cold and lots of traffic. I definitely start to run low on spare capacity then.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
LED Headlamps are fitted quite widely factory fitted to cars nowadays. The headlamps on my Mazda
are really very, very good and fully automated, including a high beam assistant which dips automatically when it can
see another vehicle either oncoming or driving ahead of me in the same direction. Wouldn't go back to standard bulbs,
I have them in the van and they are like candles in jam jars in comparison to my cars lighting.

Agreed, my eyes are fairly sensitive to bright light, but I've never had issues with LED headlights coming the other way. Plenty of people with manual headlights leaving their high beams on, but that's a different matter though...

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
In some situations like narrow rural roads you get more warning of vehicles approaching but there are generally far more risks not least being a bit tired yourself.
In the past I have been pretty bold like get off ferry in France about midnight and ride through the night to reach the Alps by early afternoon next day.
It's surprising how many big lorries are still about.
But in that journey I wasn't in any way compelled to keep going it just felt Ok since I had a snooze on the boat and had been hanging about waiting for sailing beforehand too.

Done the same actually. With regular stops you can go a while just looking into the horizon. Then at 6am in Germany I suddenly felt very tired after riding all night - at that point I had been riding since 7am the previous morning bar occasional stops (and the ferry). But I had 4 hours sleep on a motorway service station grass verge before carrying on my way @ 10am.

But, in answer to the thread, i'm perfectly happy riding at night. After all, night is the case when I go to work and come home from work in the winter anyway.. It's the low sun mornings/afternoons I dislike.

Somtimes if I have time to kill I like to come home on routes which one could only call adventurous just for the fun. I don't mind if it takes me a while (esp with 25w AC light in the misty fog for example).

I used to often go out in the middle of the night and ride around the country single lanes around Cardiff Airport (which is situated in Rhoose) just for fun.

Last edited by blurredman on 11:20 - 09 Jun 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: Do you mind riding at night? Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
I hate it.

I really don't like riding at night on my ER-6F. I put the best-of-the-best-of-the-best halogen bulbs I could find into her - Philips RacingVision GT200's.

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-e/au/car-lights/headlights/racingvision-gt200.html

I saw a really big improvement over the standard ones in the bike (which I think from memory were made by Osram) but I still don't think they're good enough for me at night on some backroads.

The LEDs in my Chinese 125 on the other hand are very bright and I like the beam pattern. I am happy to ride that thing about at night far more than the Kwak.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rarely get the opportunity to, don't seem to recall it bothering me when I have, as said you just adjust to the conditions.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: Do you mind riding at night? Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

The LEDs in my Chinese 125 on the other hand are very bright and I like the beam pattern. I am happy to ride that thing about at night far more than the Kwak.

Something to do with not getting above 65mph though making it more appealing? Laughing

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 11:49 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to enjoy blasting around at night because the roads were empty but then you'd have to contend with drink drivers on a Fri / Sat, police hiding away, etc.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a lot of enjoyable long night rides in the past but try and avoid them nowadays
especially if its raining as the glare from oncoming headlights affects
me a lot more, riding or driving.
Motorways not so bad, but busy A roads not fun any more.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: Do you mind riding at night? Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Something to do with not getting above 65mph though making it more appealing? Laughing

I am quite happy to fucking hoon both my bikes during the day, even in the wet I've given it a heavy wrist but I just don't do it at night. Call me a shite bag all you want but it's not in my bag at all Embarassed same with hooning it round bends Embarassed

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:49 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's something that has ever occurred to me to be different than normal riding, but my first few months riding on CBT way back when was night-time commuting in winter on a little TS50X to my part time job at the shopping centre, so I suppose maybe it's just engrained as a normal?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
night-time commuting in winter

I used both my bikes to commute for two winters now and I've ridden through slush, snow and on icy roads and to be honest the thing that I hate most is windy days. If it's a really windy day now I go by car.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 319 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2