Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Smoking to be banned?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:08 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Smoking to be banned? Reply with quote

Smoking age should rise, government report to say.

The age at which people can buy tobacco products in England should be gradually increased year after year, a review for government is expected to recommend.

If these ideas become law it will basically eradicate smoking in a generation. Raising the age limit each year until no one can buy cigarettes. Now we all know the risks of smoking and I can see why people want it banned. It's dirty, it costs the health service a lot of money, it kills people etc.

Thing to me is wherre does state interference with your life stop? Drink must be next on the agenda. Drugs are already (unsuccessfully) banned. How about motorbikes? They kill people. I'm surprised the IOM TT isn't already closed down.

I guess the nanny state is here to say and as long as the majority get their kicks from something still allowed and the others who expect the state to molly coddle them from birth to death won't give a hoot about erosion of choice or freedoms.

In my liftime we've gone from smoking being cool - Marlboro man, film stars with fags in their mouths to classic movies having smoking airbrushed out. And yes, I used to smoke like a chimney but gave up years ago so I don't have any agenda over this.

I really hate the way society is going in lots of respects but nanny state is something I can't believe is happening with no/hardly any push back, in fact it seems welcomed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61718468

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:20 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive smoked for over 40 years and I'd be fine with a ban. Laughing
Switched to tobacco from cigarettes to save money last year and now it's the same price as as cigarettes...I could be smoking more tho

The latest throwaway vapes are pretty damn good! I tried them but I'm just not at that point yet. If I could get hold of a cannabis vape I'd be sorted.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricky one this. As a smoker who chooses not to smoke (I don't believe there is such a thing as an ex-addict of any persuasion...), I too can see why banning tobacco would be a good thing from the point of view of health and public finances. Why should my taxes be spent on extending the lives of smokers. Likewise, why should my taxes be spent on extending the lives of drinkers, porkers, adrenaline junkies etc etc etc...

If one takes it to a logical conclusion, only Joe Wickes should be allowed healthcare, and then only if his injuries aren't as a result of his fitness training. I'd be royally f*cked as I like a drink and a pie!

Out of all of the 'vices', smoking is an easy target as people can't disguise the fact that they smoke and the product has to be imported. Personally I wouldn't ban it as we don't need more legislation and banning it wouldn't stop addicts from obtaining their fix. It has to be made less 'cool' so kids don't start smoking - that would kill it off eventually IMO.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
porkers

This porker has BUPA Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about cost to the NHS. I'm sure I read somewhere that tobacco tax way exceeds the amount tobacco illness costs the NHS.

Yes it does as shown here from 2015- https://fullfact.org/economy/does-smoking-cost-much-it-makes-treasury/

We know they bring in about £12 billion in direct tax revenues, Estimates suggest costs anywhere between £3 billion and £6 billion for NHS treatments in a given year.

So sort of negates a financial reason for doing it.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Thinking about cost to the NHS. I'm sure I read somewhere that tobacco tax way exceeds the amount tobacco illness costs the NHS.

Yes it does as shown here from 2015- https://fullfact.org/economy/does-smoking-cost-much-it-makes-treasury/

We know they bring in about £12 billion in direct tax revenues, Estimates suggest costs anywhere between £3 billion and £6 billion for NHS treatments in a given year.

So sort of negates a financial reason for doing it.

I suspect the true cost to society isn't measured accurately though. Things like additional dental care, higher frequency of chest infections etc.. as opposed to just the "obvious" costs, will be harder to accurately measure but probably pretty significant.

Back to the original topic, I used to smoke, don't anymore (my choice - just decided to stop one day, although it took a few goes). Personally I think it's a good idea to have a rolling age ban (like NZ). I know there's a whole argument about nanny state etc.. but the reason a lot of people get into smoking is because of peer pressure. I suspect extremely few people voluntarily decide to go and start smoking completely independently. This makes it different from say motorcycles where someone already knows they enjoy adrenaline-fuelled activities and are curious about a motorcycle (that's me - I had no connection or experience to them prior).

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the ban coming in as smoking is deemed "risky behaviour" or because the market is totally warped and exploitative compared to the stuff dragged over from the New World back in the day?

If it's the former then look forward to bans on motorbikes, fast cars, rock climbing, etc. Risky behaviours that cost a fair bit to get into and/or maintain.

On the other hand highly exploitative marketing would suggest an incoming ban on online gambling. An industry that makes more money and destroys more lives than tobacco ever could, IMHO.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that when you read the article, it only estimates the direct cost to the NHS v tax revenue on the sale of legitimate tobacco. It doesn't include other costs to society such as the cost of retraining because a proportion of the population is dying prematurely, lost work days because of smoking-related illnesses, cost to emergency services when smokers accidently set light to their homes etc. I don't suppose the true cost can be calculated.

Also, it doesn't take into account the cost to the planet of maintaining an industry that relies upon the transport of goods in large quantities using internal combustion engines. Nor does it take into account the fact that smokers are likely to use their washing machines more, wash their hair and hands more often, replace items prematurely due to fag burns etc. There will be loads of hidden costs to smoking that we don't appreciate.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:49 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: Smoking to be banned? Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I really hate the way society is going in lots of respects but nanny state is something I can't believe is happening with no/hardly any push back, in fact it seems welcomed.

It's a tricky situation, I work in a hospital and often see people with lifelong lung conditions who are in the process of giving up, or would like to give up but are addicted. Their quality of life is poor, they are dying and they know it, almost all always say they wished they had never started smoking and advise never taking it up.

The worse ones I have seen are the husbands/wives of people who have smoked but have never themselves smoked personally. Seen a few of those sent home as their too ill to treat and will die sooner rather than later. There are lots of things that are rightly banned because they are bad for our health, certain chemicals/pesticides, lead paint etc.

Lots of the other things you mentioned have other purposes, motorbikes are transport for many etc.

I also think that looking at this purely monetarily is a bad idea. However with vaping now being the in thing (mostly now owned by large tobacco companies) they know the writing is on the wall for smoking. Early research suggests vaping is no better and most likely to end up with the same results as smoking.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this is not an easy one.
In a society where what we do can affect others, there is a good argument for a ban in public places at least. But then I think we must also ban alcohol and many other things by that standard. Maybe physical exercise should be made compulsory for all? Ban all processed foods? Where do you stop?
I think it better to leave it at a ban in public places. We've come that far and people are used to the idea. I think the numbers of people who take up smoking is falling all the time anyway because people are generally better educated about the risks.
As to the cost to the NHS - it is the least of that organisation's problems.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a key difference though with tobacco is unlike alcohol, processed foods, high fat foods etc. etc., enjoying "in moderation" doesn't derisk it. Alcohol consumed at a low level is unlikely to have any negative side effects and indeed holistically there could even be a net benefit, probably why alcohol has been throttled to discourage excess but not remove it completely. Alcohol can also be enjoyed without addiction. Tobacco however is harmful in any quantity; yes you're probably less likely to succumb to something horrible if you smoke 2 a day rather than 20, but you're still increasing the likelihood by loads. This is where the difference is - you can't really derisk tobacco use without removing it completely.

I think the other thing, touched on above, is the effect it has on others. Extreme examples aside, sharing a house with someone who drinks in moderation isn't going to really have any direct effect on the health of others. Smoking on the other hand will, either directly (health) or indirectly (washing clothes more etc..).

These days however I find myself being choked more by passing buses and knackered delivery vans than I do people smoking as I walk around the city.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I think a key difference though with tobacco is unlike alcohol, processed foods, high fat foods etc. etc., enjoying "in moderation" doesn't derisk it. Alcohol consumed at a low level is unlikely to have any negative side effects and indeed holistically there could even be a net benefit, probably why alcohol has been throttled to discourage excess but not remove it completely. Alcohol can also be enjoyed without addiction. Tobacco however is harmful in any quantity; yes you're probably less likely to succumb to something horrible if you smoke 2 a day rather than 20, but you're still increasing the likelihood by loads. This is where the difference is - you can't really derisk tobacco use without removing it completely.

Tell an alcoholic that alcohol isn't an addiction. Tell Nobby to give up beer Laughing
You could smoke one cigarette and the chances of it being harmful are virtually nil. Even if you smoked one a month you'd be in similar territory.
Basically, anything in excess is not going to be good for you.
But I think most people who smoke these days are sensitive to how others around them feel about it, and we do have the ban on smoking in public places to deal with those who aren't so considerate.
Personally, I think someone should be allowed to set up, say a club, where smoking is allowed. If you don't like it, you now have the choice to go to a club where it isn't allowed.
Can you "derisk" motorcycles - cars even - without removing them completely?

Quote:
I think the other thing, touched on above, is the effect it has on others. Extreme examples aside, sharing a house with someone who drinks in moderation isn't going to really have any direct effect on the health of others. Smoking on the other hand will, either directly (health) or indirectly (washing clothes more etc..).

This is to do with consideration for others.
If I had a visitor to my home who didn't like smoking, I wouldn't smoke when they were here, or I'd go outside if I wanted to (my smoking is confined to my spare room with the door shut and the window open anyway, though I live alone).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:52 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Tell Nobby to give up beer Laughing

I'll have you know I've not had any to drink yet today.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Tell Nobby to give up beer Laughing

I'll have you know I've not had any to drink yet today.

yet

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:48 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try copying and pasting my previous comment into notepad....

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: Smoking to be banned? Reply with quote

Irezumi wrote:
Early research suggests vaping is no better and most likely to end up with the same results as smoking.

Really?! Source? My father-in-law's just switched to vaping and he has COPD.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycle manufacturers and mountains are not exploiting our brain chemistry to addict us to riding or climbing them. That's the difference.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:16 - 10 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Motorcycle manufacturers and mountains are not exploiting our brain chemistry to addict us to riding or climbing them. That's the difference.

Madras curry does that to me. It should be banned. Cool

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 10 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

I dunno, ads are generally overdramatic and sell the dopamine hit of being "out there" (looking at you, ADV riders.) Plus women will literally be throwing themselves at you...

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/64/b5/98/64b59868275b2a596cc5ac8f4330211e.jpg

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 10 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Try copying and pasting my previous comment into notepad....

I'm not that daft. It'll log me out of my BCF account, won't it?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 10 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black market will grow. It isn't difficult to grow Nicotiana and prepare it into a smokeable product. Whether selling it is ethical or isn't, is another matter. But where there's a demand, the supply will follow.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 10 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I dunno, ads are generally overdramatic and sell the dopamine hit of being "out there" (looking at you, ADV riders.) Plus women will literally be throwing themselves at you...

I'd like motorcycles to be around for as long as I live, because I like riding them, looking at them, and everything about them.
However, many people who are into bikes are sold on the dopamine hit of being "out there" and women throwing themselves at them, when if they really wanted those things then they can be obtained almost for free, by simply [ won't say ]. Their mentality comes from a different place. To a great extent, we all benefit from their exploitation.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 10 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
The black market will grow. It isn't difficult to grow Nicotiana and prepare it into a smokeable product. Whether selling it is ethical or isn't, is another matter. But where there's a demand, the supply will follow.

Nicotine is an odd substance though. Unlike other addictive substances you really have to work at it initially as its so unpleasant and actually makes you a bit sick at first. The only reason anyone starts smoking is cultural, either fitting in with a peer group or trying to gain entry to the group. It does have some benefits as well, in small amounts its an antipsychotic so can genuinely help if someone is presychotic. Strangely though in large quantities its propsychotic amd often people on antipsychotic drugs are heavily dependent on nicotine as it takes the edge off the meds.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 10 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Palladium_cigarette

The palladium cigarette. Reaserchers produced a tobacco that had lower levels of tumoricity by adding palladium. The palladium acted as a catalyst more effectively burning the tobacco so producing less toxic substances. Allegedly the research was suppressed by the cigarette industry as by inference it suggested normal ciggies were carcinogenic.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:49 - 11 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: Smoking to be banned? Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Irezumi wrote:
Early research suggests vaping is no better and most likely to end up with the same results as smoking.

Really?! Source? My father-in-law's just switched to vaping and he has COPD.

Lots on google scholar/pubmed. If he has COPD already then vaping is advised as better than smoking generally, really though it's not fully understood and probably another 10-20 years of research. For COPD in general though the advise is to stop smoking of any kind ideally to improve quality of life.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3